User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2023, 09:13 PM #1
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 98
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 98
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Projector retrofits - Are rear halos bright enough to function as turn signals?

Hello! I'm hoping some of you that have retrofit projector headlights might be able to answer a question for me. I no longer have OEM turn signals after installing an aftermarket bumper and was wondering if the rear rear switchback halos on the LED retrofits are bright enough to function as the vehicle's sole turn signals?

I'm specifically looking at the Panamera 2 shrouds from TEQ Customs as shown below and would be getting them with chrome housings if that matters. I'm assuming that going with front and rear halos would increase the light output but I don't care for how the front halos look (just my personal preference). Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
Projector retrofits - Are rear halos bright enough to function as turn signals?-capture-jpg 
__________________
1999 SR5 V6/Auto 4WD
4.88 Gears, Front/Rear E-Lockers
1" Body Lift, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75 R16 Tires

Last edited by Option01; 11-29-2023 at 09:30 PM.
Option01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:45 PM #2
Ed_C's Avatar
Ed_C Ed_C is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,838
Real Name: Ed
Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light
Ed_C Ed_C is online now
Senior Member
Ed_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,838
Real Name: Ed
Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light
Probably not.

You can wire the corners to do double duty as parking and signal with these modules:
LED Switchback control modules VER.1 (for 1 color LED setup) | PAIR – CorsoMotion
or
Blinker Genie 2 - for Run and Turn with LED Signals on Automobiles – Custom LED
Corsomotion will flash the corners at the same time your halos will, while the Blinker Genie will flash alternately with the halos.

Order these amber 921 LEDs for the corners https://www.ebay.com/itm/30449126430...mis&media=COPY

Last edited by Ed_C; 11-29-2023 at 09:47 PM.
Ed_C is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 10:11 PM #3
Ed_C's Avatar
Ed_C Ed_C is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,838
Real Name: Ed
Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light
Ed_C Ed_C is online now
Senior Member
Ed_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,838
Real Name: Ed
Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light
You could also use this for the corner signal conversion Amazon.com

Connect one of the original parking light + to the converter brake wire and corresponding signal + to converter signals. Cut the 4-pin connector and connect the turn/stop wires to the corresponding parking light bulb +
Ed_C is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 10:17 PM #4
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 98
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 98
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_C View Post
Probably not.

You can wire the corners to do double duty as parking and signal with these modules:
LED Switchback control modules VER.1 (for 1 color LED setup) | PAIR CorsoMotion
or
Blinker Genie 2 - for Run and Turn with LED Signals on Automobiles Custom LED
Corsomotion will flash the corners at the same time your halos will, while the Blinker Genie will flash alternately with the halos.

Order these amber 921 LEDs for the corners https://www.ebay.com/itm/30449126430...mis&media=COPY
Oh man, I had those Corsomotion modules bookmarked as a backup plan lol!

I wasn't sure if having the halo and parking light hooked up to the same turn signal wire would cause any problems. Glad to hear it's a viable option and I'll definitely be going that route. Thanks for the suggestion!
__________________
1999 SR5 V6/Auto 4WD
4.88 Gears, Front/Rear E-Lockers
1" Body Lift, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75 R16 Tires
Option01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 11:26 PM #5
Ed_C's Avatar
Ed_C Ed_C is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,838
Real Name: Ed
Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light
Ed_C Ed_C is online now
Senior Member
Ed_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,838
Real Name: Ed
Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Option01 View Post
Oh man, I had those Corsomotion modules bookmarked as a backup plan lol!

I wasn't sure if having the halo and parking light hooked up to the same turn signal wire would cause any problems. Glad to hear it's a viable option and I'll definitely be going that route. Thanks for the suggestion!
Shouldn't be any problems as long as the halo amber is connected before the Corso modules. If you wired them to the Corso outputs they'll be constantly amber with the parking lights. Just be forewarned that Corso isn't the fastest when it comes to processing orders, even their dealers get treated this way LOL
You'll also need load resistors or a LED compatible flasher (preferably)
Ed_C is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 02:44 PM #6
phattyduck phattyduck is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 5,520
phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute
phattyduck phattyduck is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 5,520
phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute
Something like this might also work for you:
96-02 3rd Gen 4runner Amber Turn Signal LED Filler Panels
– Snowbound Customs


(DIY or buy it, your choice)

Also, there are trailer/truck turn signals you can pop into a hole in the bumper - if you have a plate bumper, that is.

-Charlie
__________________
'99 4Runner SR5 Auto - 4WD swapped
'89 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GTE 5spd
'17 Chevy Volt Premier
'16 Honda Odyssey Elite
Previous: '88 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GE BEAMS, 90 Camry 3S-GTE, 90 Camry DX, '03 WRX wagon, '08 Outback XT
phattyduck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 01:05 AM #7
toverturf toverturf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 205
toverturf will become famous soon enough toverturf will become famous soon enough
toverturf toverturf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 205
toverturf will become famous soon enough toverturf will become famous soon enough
Your 4runner NEEDS this mod! - YouTube You can see how bright they are in this video with and without the headlights on. These are in a black housing but a chrome one should be pretty similar. Imo they seem bright enough.

I'm getting the same headlights but with the turbine shroud and black housing so i'll be interested to see what you think when you get them installed. For me if they aren't bright enough when I get them i'll probably get the LED filler panels linked above.
__________________
1999 Limited with rear locker.
Sherpa Matterhorn | Sonoran Steel Diff Drop | SPC UCAs | DuroBumps Front and Rear | OME 890 Springs and Black Tokico Shocks | Eimkeith Reinforcements and PCK | King Coilovers | OCD Sway Bar Links | Opt Offroad Rear Arms | Lil Skips Gas Tank Skid Plate | FGP Rock Sliders | 4x Innovations Rear Plate Bumper with tire carrier
toverturf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 05:56 PM #8
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 98
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 98
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by phattyduck View Post
Something like this might also work for you:
96-02 3rd Gen 4runner Amber Turn Signal LED Filler Panels
Snowbound Customs


(DIY or buy it, your choice)

Also, there are trailer/truck turn signals you can pop into a hole in the bumper - if you have a plate bumper, that is.

-Charlie
Good point! I actually bought some cheap Amazon amber LED's strips with adhesive backing and stuck them on the filler plates as a temporary fix. It works pretty well but I'd like something a little cleaner for a long-term solution. I did check out those filler plates from snowbound customs but the individual round LEDs wasn't really working for me aesthetically.
__________________
1999 SR5 V6/Auto 4WD
4.88 Gears, Front/Rear E-Lockers
1" Body Lift, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75 R16 Tires
Option01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 05:58 PM #9
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 98
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 98
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_C View Post
Shouldn't be any problems as long as the halo amber is connected before the Corso modules. If you wired them to the Corso outputs they'll be constantly amber with the parking lights. Just be forewarned that Corso isn't the fastest when it comes to processing orders, even their dealers get treated this way LOL
You'll also need load resistors or a LED compatible flasher (preferably)
Thanks for the wiring tip! I do have an LED compatible flasher installs so I should be good to go in that regard.

And yeah, I've got quite a wait for the headlights to come in so hopefully Corso can get me the modules within that two month time frame so I can get both wired in at once. In the mean time, I ordered a set of these for the parking lights:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TC4438Z...t_details&th=1
__________________
1999 SR5 V6/Auto 4WD
4.88 Gears, Front/Rear E-Lockers
1" Body Lift, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75 R16 Tires
Option01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 06:06 PM #10
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 98
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 98
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by toverturf View Post
Your 4runner NEEDS this mod! - YouTube You can see how bright they are in this video with and without the headlights on. These are in a black housing but a chrome one should be pretty similar. Imo they seem bright enough.

I'm getting the same headlights but with the turbine shroud and black housing so i'll be interested to see what you think when you get them installed. For me if they aren't bright enough when I get them i'll probably get the LED filler panels linked above.
Thanks for the link! I agree they do seem pretty bright but I wonder how noticeable they'd be at a distance with the headlights on. Another user with a similar setup said the yellow rear halos get a bit "washed out" in that scenario so he didn't recommend relying on them as the sole turn signals.

I'll update here with my impressions once I get the projectors installed. I imagine it'll be a pretty long wait though after TEQ's big Black Friday sale. They've probably got a huge backlog of headlights to build.
__________________
1999 SR5 V6/Auto 4WD
4.88 Gears, Front/Rear E-Lockers
1" Body Lift, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75 R16 Tires
Option01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 06:32 PM #11
Bad Luck Bad Luck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 4,409
Real Name: Patrick
Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute
Bad Luck Bad Luck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 4,409
Real Name: Patrick
Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Option01 View Post
Thanks for the link! I agree they do seem pretty bright but I wonder how noticeable they'd be at a distance with the headlights on. Another user with a similar setup said the yellow rear halos get a bit "washed out" in that scenario so he didn't recommend relying on them as the sole turn signals.

I'll update here with my impressions once I get the projectors installed. I imagine it'll be a pretty long wait though after TEQ's big Black Friday sale. They've probably got a huge backlog of headlights to build.
My other concern with using the halos as the sole turn signal is visibility from 90 degrees.
__________________
2000 SR5 V6 Manual 4WD https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...biography.html
2000 Limited V6 Auto E-Locker Sold 3/2022
Bad Luck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:00 PM #12
Ed_C's Avatar
Ed_C Ed_C is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,838
Real Name: Ed
Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light
Ed_C Ed_C is online now
Senior Member
Ed_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,838
Real Name: Ed
Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Option01 View Post
Thanks for the wiring tip! I do have an LED compatible flasher installs so I should be good to go in that regard.

And yeah, I've got quite a wait for the headlights to come in so hopefully Corso can get me the modules within that two month time frame so I can get both wired in at once.
Ahhh, I thought you already have the headlights LOL

Quote:
In the mean time, I ordered a set of these for the parking lights:

Amazon.com
Interesting design, VLEDS uses the same emitters in their high-output line but the ones you listed have 30 more of radially so they should be pretty bright
Ed_C is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 10:09 PM #13
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 98
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 98
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Luck View Post
My other concern with using the halos as the sole turn signal is visibility from 90 degrees.
That's a great point! Are the stock turn signals visible from the side? It's been so long now that I can't remember lol.
__________________
1999 SR5 V6/Auto 4WD
4.88 Gears, Front/Rear E-Lockers
1" Body Lift, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75 R16 Tires
Option01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 10:11 PM #14
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 98
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 98
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_C View Post
Ahhh, I thought you already have the headlights LOL
Haha, yeah that's part of the reason I was posting the question. I wasn't sure I should shell out the extra cash for the halos if I was going to have to do something else for turn signals anyway.
__________________
1999 SR5 V6/Auto 4WD
4.88 Gears, Front/Rear E-Lockers
1" Body Lift, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75 R16 Tires
Option01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 10:30 PM #15
Ed_C's Avatar
Ed_C Ed_C is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,838
Real Name: Ed
Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light
Ed_C Ed_C is online now
Senior Member
Ed_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,838
Real Name: Ed
Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light Ed_C is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Option01 View Post
Haha, yeah that's part of the reason I was posting the question. I wasn't sure I should shell out the extra cash for the halos if I was going to have to do something else for turn signals anyway.
How much more do the halos add to the price?
Ed_C is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
function , projector , retrofits , signals , turn

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wiring Halos and Turn Signals separately cmriquinha 4th Gen T4Rs 1 07-03-2017 11:11 AM
FS: NEW 3rd Gen Projector Retrofits by A.Wilson013 SF Bay Area, CA TxnBluDvl For Sale: T4R Items 1 03-21-2017 04:43 PM
Gauging interest in projector retrofits A.Wilson013 For Sale: T4R Items 73 10-10-2015 05:14 PM
Gauging Interest In 3rd Gen Projector Retrofits (very small # to be made) BrianSD_42 3rd gen T4Rs 52 08-30-2015 03:02 AM
FS: 3rd gen projector retrofit with halos, $800 SLC, UT sigalution For Sale: T4R Items 3 01-19-2014 07:45 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020