View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Self-Appointed SUV Expert

GatorGreg is on a distinguished road
Self-Appointed SUV Expert

GatorGreg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimochaos View Post
Just look at a LC next time you see it. The front IFS components are about 4x the size of a 4R/FJ. Nothing hangs below the frame rails. Furthermore, the frame is stronger and can take more abuse, the rear diff is larger and thus stronger and some debate it is as strong as a DANA 60.
Eskimo, you make some excellent points, and I agree that the TLC/LX is more robustly built. Here's a pic below of my old LX (aka TLC) - the thing was built like a freaking tank. However, I still agree with Thai (and now apparently Toyota) that the FJ is the "most capable off-road SUV in the Toyota line-up". IMO this has to do mostly with the FJ's approach/departure angle advantages and the rear locker availability.

I do agree with you that the TLC/LX is more robustly built than the FJ and will likely stand up over time to more abuse. However, it is clear to me now that the TLC is built for a different type of off-roading. Indeed, in your second link at one point they referred to how the TLC excels at "real world off-road situations". I certainly agree with that. I assume that by "real world off-road situations" they mean the type of off-roading situations that people in most parts of the world might encounter in regular use even in harsh environments - Africa, Outback, etc, but NOT the types of situations that many off-roading enthusiasts actively seek out for pure entertainment and challenge where the FJ's advantages would come into play.

Of course, there are some folks who will say that anything short of the Rubicon Trail "ain't real off-roading". But of course there is no univerally accepted definition of "off-roading" that I'm aware of.

GatorGreg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote