Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 03:14 PM

theizzardking will become famous soon enough

theizzardking will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Of course as you change ride height you'll change COG, but that is inevitable when you lift a vehicle.....I assumed the OP knew this. Increasing the ride height with a spacer will not change the COG any more than it will when you lift with a new coil of the same value. I was simply referring to the fact that the OP already has experience with how the current coil feels and purchasing a new coil could result in stiffer or softer ride, depending on the manufacturer (spring rate, progressive springs, etc). How does placing a spacer above the coil place any sort of preload on the coil? Like I said before, I've been running coil spacers on my dedicated wheeling rig for quite some time and have never had an issue with anything like premature coil failure or spacer failure...

BTW, there's no need to discourage someone from putting a mild lift on a vehicle for looks only...that is something that is done all of the time. Sometimes people want form over function...
you preload the coil by compressing the height of it with the spacer, and i've ran spacers on all of my jeeps as well with and without some of the problems i was mentioning. and as she was saying stock over and over again i was just making sure she was aware of what she was doing, which was getting away from stock, i pretty much retracted my statement there at the end as like i said, do what you want just be informed of what all is going on, think about it 3 inches is the limit before you need to start worrying about drive angles and such and even some have had problems with as little as 2 inches, stock is stock is stock, i know you can get close but i was just pointing out the basics of lifting your vehicle as she sounds like a soccer mom who wants "a big truck with nice wheels" sort, you know, we have no way of determining what her level of understanding of all of this is,
she may also need new shocks if she's going with a taller lift as well, which again is going to change that stock feel, not discouraging her just making sure she's not getting into something she's not going to like.
theizzardking is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote