Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 08:47 AM
ToyTech99

ToyTech99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbm View Post
The dealer has not been cooperative thus far on the issue. When I noticed the rack issue, I took a closer look at the 160-Point Inspection and a few more things came to light. None of them huge issues, but further proof that the 160-Point Inspection was not completed.

1. vehicle did not come with floor mats, Certified requires it does. I had to go back and ask after the fact, which they took care of.
2. there is hail damage on the roof. Again, not a big deal to me...but one of the 160-points is the vehicle is free of dents
3. the headlight aim is not correct, again an easy fix, but one of the 160-points is "headlight aim okay"
4. the roof rack BS. 2 of the 160 Points are as follows - "acceptable aftermarket items checked" and "removal of unacceptbale aftermarket items". it is my opinion that they SHOULD have removed this rack prior to certification. they can say that the rack has a 100 lb capacity (which is near the OEM rack) all they want, but it bends the durn roof when I load my boats, which can NOT be good for the vehicle.

The dealer had their rack guy look at it who claims that the rack is "acceptable" and basically that I have no case. I am going to visit them one more time, tell them that if they can't help me, I'm going to have to contact Toyota and the Better Business Bureau.

Am I out of line here? I know that the dealer didn't knowingly sell me a car that I can't use like I want to, but the fact is...they did. For 80% of owners who wouldn't utilize the rack, its no big deal. But I will use the rack at least once a week with 100-150 lbs of boats.....
No, you're not out of line and I'd bet that if you contact Toyota directly, they'll have your dealer fix it at no cost to you. Of course you can always bring up the other items you mentioned as well...

BTW, the question isn't whether or not the aftermarket rack can support a similar amount of weight as the OEM rack because I'm sure it can. The issue is that this aftermarket rack is screwed into the sheetmetal and CANNOT possibly be nearly as sturdy/strong as the OEM rack because of the way it is installed. Maybe you should just tear the roof rack rails out of your roof and then bring your 4Runner back to the dealer and tell them that it happened when you were loading your boat on the roof. Then tell them to fix it under warranty because you were using the roof rack as intended and didn't overload it with anything heavier than the roof rack was rated.

Seriously, if your dealer is giving you a hard time, you should deal with Toyota directly. I'm certain they will take care of you.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote