Home Menu

Site Navigation

Thread: My LED Project
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2004, 10:43 PM

cdoyle is on a distinguished road

cdoyle is on a distinguished road
My LED Project

Well, I finally got some of my LEDs put together and installed on the Runner.

After a couple trial and errors, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Here is a photo of one of the completed LED wedges.

This one has 3 5mm superwhite LEDs epoxied into a empty wedge that I
bought here

The LEDs themselves I bought from HERE

I did try some of the already built ones that they have, but the LEDs that they used seem to have a more 'purplish' color tint to them, I was looking more for a blushish/white tint. Plus the LEDs I used for the parking lights have a rating of 22,000mcd, which seem to light up the housing better.

Here is a shot the headlight assembly with the LEDs on.

I think it looks so much better then the stock orange colored bulb that was in there.

Here is another shot with the headlights on too.

It does make my Silverstars looks a yellow doesn't it. Would look even better if our Runners came stock with HIDs.

The parking lights weren't the only ones I replaced. Here is shot of the map lights. Here I used 4 3mm superwhite LEDs.

These sure light the inside of the Runner up. Plus it has that cool superwhite glow to it.

I also replaced the bulbs in the doors too,

It's pretty neat now, it not only lights up the door, it lights up ground too. The stock bulb never did that.

Now on to the Running Boards
Here you can get a good comparison on how bright they are.
Here is a shot of one of those 'Xenon' bulbs that were posted on here a few months back.

Ya, it's OK but not very bright. Actually less bright then the stock bulb.

Now look at this.

I still need to buy some more LEDs to finish the rest of the running boards. Plus I want to do the License plate lights too. I'm also going to construct something to replace the dome lights too, they look so yellow compared to everything else now.

If you decide to do this, and order the wedges, one thing I noticed. The first time I ordered them, I got white ones like pictured above. The second time I ordered them, they were a clear wedge (which at first was cool) but then I also noticed that they are slightly smaller. So it's alot harder to fit everything into it. Especially when using the 5mm LEDs. So if you order some, see if he has any of the larger white wedges left.

So what do you guys think?
I know awhile back there was a thread about those 'xenon' 194 bulbs, and I have to say these LEDs are way brighter then those.

cdoyle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote