User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2015, 03:10 PM #1
heiser heiser is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: AZ / OR
Posts: 224
heiser is on a distinguished road
heiser heiser is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: AZ / OR
Posts: 224
heiser is on a distinguished road
FJ shocks vs bilstein 5100

I've been searching for parts to swap out my xreas for quite a while, so I've read a lot of threads, but I haven't found much about this comparison except for a small mention in the Suspension FAQ.

I'm at 167k and finally found some FJ parts not too far from me. This guy has all 4 springs and shocks from a 2013 FJ for pretty cheap with low miles (<20k). These are the black shocks, not stock bilsteins.

I know I'll have to mod the shocks to fit. Are the 5100's that much better? It's about a $400 difference. This is my daily driver but I do like to do trails when I have time.
heiser is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:00 PM #2
JSeligman2828 JSeligman2828 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 121
Real Name: Josh
JSeligman2828 is on a distinguished road
JSeligman2828 JSeligman2828 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 121
Real Name: Josh
JSeligman2828 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by heiser View Post
I've been searching for parts to swap out my xreas for quite a while, so I've read a lot of threads, but I haven't found much about this comparison except for a small mention in the Suspension FAQ.

I'm at 167k and finally found some FJ parts not too far from me. This guy has all 4 springs and shocks from a 2013 FJ for pretty cheap with low miles (<20k). These are the black shocks, not stock bilsteins.

I know I'll have to mod the shocks to fit. Are the 5100's that much better? It's about a $400 difference. This is my daily driver but I do like to do trails when I have time.
Personally I found FJ shocks difficult to source while there was a plethora of Tacoma shocks/struts on the market. I was able to secure a TRD Offroad Tacoma with 2k miles full suspension (front shocks and coils, and rear struts) all for $150. I finished it off with a very nice member giving me fj rear coils with 750 miles on them for $50 with shipping.

I wanted to source 5100 at first but decided to go this route that I believe to be 60%-75% cheaper.
JSeligman2828 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:37 PM #3
heiser heiser is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: AZ / OR
Posts: 224
heiser is on a distinguished road
heiser heiser is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: AZ / OR
Posts: 224
heiser is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeligman2828 View Post
Personally I found FJ shocks difficult to source while there was a plethora of Tacoma shocks/struts on the market. I was able to secure a TRD Offroad Tacoma with 2k miles full suspension (front shocks and coils, and rear struts) all for $150. I finished it off with a very nice member giving me fj rear coils with 750 miles on them for $50 with shipping.

I wanted to source 5100 at first but decided to go this route that I believe to be 60%-75% cheaper.
These 4 shocks and 4 coils are all for $50, so the coils are for sure, but the shocks I'm not too sure. If they're decent shocks, it'd be a great deal for me.

I thought the Tacoma shocks needed special work to swap, or am I imagining that? If so, how difficult was it for it?
heiser is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:39 AM #4
truc.karl truc.karl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fl
Posts: 142
truc.karl is on a distinguished road
truc.karl truc.karl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fl
Posts: 142
truc.karl is on a distinguished road
Bilstein's are expensive but you will surely like the ride quality and these shocks will last for several years.
truc.karl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:45 AM #5
FJ40Jay FJ40Jay is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4
FJ40Jay is on a distinguished road
FJ40Jay FJ40Jay is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4
FJ40Jay is on a distinguished road
The Tacoma fronts fit, rear needs a new bushing pressed in the bottom.
FJ40Jay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:23 AM #6
JSeligman2828 JSeligman2828 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 121
Real Name: Josh
JSeligman2828 is on a distinguished road
JSeligman2828 JSeligman2828 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 121
Real Name: Josh
JSeligman2828 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ40Jay View Post
The Tacoma fronts fit, rear needs a new bushing pressed in the bottom.
correct, the bushing is about $9 on amazon. Also I've heard the tacoma TRD offroad (not sport) are better shocks than the FJ Billsteins. Not sure, i haven't even put them on yet. It's been a slow process.

$50 for a set of shocks are great, however 20k miles to me seems like a pretty good amount, however I literally know nothing so I would take my opinion with a grain of salt.
JSeligman2828 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:17 AM #7
heiser heiser is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: AZ / OR
Posts: 224
heiser is on a distinguished road
heiser heiser is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: AZ / OR
Posts: 224
heiser is on a distinguished road
I'll look into the tacoma swap a bit more. Sounds like it might be worth it.

EDIT: Wish I would have known this earlier. Craigslist is showering me in tacoma shocks

Last edited by heiser; 10-07-2015 at 11:23 AM.
heiser is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:23 PM #8
wnelax04sr5's Avatar
wnelax04sr5 wnelax04sr5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 2,248
Real Name: Ethan
wnelax04sr5 is on a distinguished road
wnelax04sr5 wnelax04sr5 is offline
Senior Member
wnelax04sr5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 2,248
Real Name: Ethan
wnelax04sr5 is on a distinguished road
i've got almost brand new FJ shocks (fronts only no springs) if you decide you wanted them
__________________
A lot of stuff I didn't need...
My Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfitz77555 View Post
oh my god the erection I have from this thread is unreal.
wnelax04sr5 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:18 PM #9
alia176 alia176 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: East Mountains, NM
Posts: 958
alia176 will become famous soon enough
alia176 alia176 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: East Mountains, NM
Posts: 958
alia176 will become famous soon enough
I swapped my entire suspension with a FJC Trail edition, I think it was. Anyway, the shocks are yellow Bilsteins and I'm happy with the ride for now. It was a good bang for the buck. However, long term, I'll go with the 5100s and raise the front end up about .85". I LOVE Bilstein shocks on my other vehicles and everyone who runs them are also in love with them.
__________________
2003 Sport V8 Icon 2" rear, Bilstein 6112 front, Gibson cat back. OBA, DIY sliders, etc
1996 FZJ80 with whole bunch of stuff!
alia176 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:20 PM #10
heiser heiser is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: AZ / OR
Posts: 224
heiser is on a distinguished road
heiser heiser is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: AZ / OR
Posts: 224
heiser is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alia176 View Post
I swapped my entire suspension with a FJC Trail edition, I think it was. Anyway, the shocks are yellow Bilsteins and I'm happy with the ride for now. It was a good bang for the buck. However, long term, I'll go with the 5100s and raise the front end up about .85". I LOVE Bilstein shocks on my other vehicles and everyone who runs them are also in love with them.
That's what I kinda figured. It's not a coincidence that bilstein is all anyone ever talks about here. I'm going to get the FJ springs and probably the TRD tacoma shocks now that I see they're easy to come by.

wnelax04sr5, I have a couple local TRD shocks that I'm going to look into, but if it doesn't work out I'll pm you.
heiser is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB Bilstein 5100 Shocks 4th Gen wkeryder4 Want to Buy/Trade 1 04-11-2013 06:48 PM
Bilstein 5100 shocks Macallan For Sale: Suspension/Wheels/Tires 1 06-02-2012 10:37 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020