User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2020, 07:27 PM #541
Eerlumni Eerlumni is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Wild Wonderful West Virginia
Posts: 49
Eerlumni is on a distinguished road
Eerlumni Eerlumni is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Wild Wonderful West Virginia
Posts: 49
Eerlumni is on a distinguished road
Anyone know a good replacement gasket for the collector flange at the back of the Thorley Y-pipe?

...or do I need to order an OEM donut gasket?
Eerlumni is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:21 PM #542
Eerlumni Eerlumni is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Wild Wonderful West Virginia
Posts: 49
Eerlumni is on a distinguished road
Eerlumni Eerlumni is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Wild Wonderful West Virginia
Posts: 49
Eerlumni is on a distinguished road
Any tips here?...my guy in the middle of this job saying he might have to pull the engine to install, get the bolts in/torqued.

WTF?!
Eerlumni is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:28 PM #543
Jason B's Avatar
Jason B Jason B is offline
Official Vendor
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,737
Jason B is a jewel in the rough Jason B is a jewel in the rough Jason B is a jewel in the rough
Jason B Jason B is offline
Official Vendor
Jason B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,737
Jason B is a jewel in the rough Jason B is a jewel in the rough Jason B is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerlumni View Post
Any tips here?...my guy in the middle of this job saying he might have to pull the engine to install, get the bolts in/torqued.

WTF?!
@Eerlumni . That's absolutely nutty. He's probably just frustrated. Have him call me if he still thinks he needs to pull the engine. Don't worry, he's incorrect Does he have the install instructions? A lot of the time, and don't ask me why this is, many techs don't think they need to read the instructions, but these are not the run of the mill chevy install. Make sure he has the instructions, and if for some reason he doesn't there are in PDF from on DT website. If you need me to CALL him for you, let me know.
__________________
For 4Runner/SUV Accessories, please visit www.burtmanindustries.com
My 4Runner website

https://www.youtube.com/user/burtmanindustries, New YouTube channel! please subscribe and I'll make more videos!
jason@burtmanindustries.com
DO NOT PM - text/call 717-319-2100 (24/7)
Jason B is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:41 PM #544
Satori's Avatar
Satori Satori is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: PNW
Posts: 40
Satori will become famous soon enough
Satori Satori is offline
Member
Satori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: PNW
Posts: 40
Satori will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerlumni View Post
Anyone know a good replacement gasket for the collector flange at the back of the Thorley Y-pipe?

...or do I need to order an OEM donut gasket?
Are you talking about the gasket between y-pipe and catback? This is the one that I ended up using with my URD Y-Pipe and DT longtubes.

17451-74051 - Toyota Parts Deal)
__________________
'08 Limited V8: URD // Doug Thorley // aFe // Rotora // Titanium Works // JAUS // Toytec // Bilstein // Fuel Shok // Nitto // Icon // Hefty Fabworks // RCI // CBI // Shrockworks // Baja Designs // Auxbeam // Fiberwerx
Satori is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:56 PM #545
Marfy's Avatar
Marfy Marfy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Thornbury
Posts: 251
Marfy will become famous soon enough Marfy will become famous soon enough
Marfy Marfy is offline
Member
Marfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Thornbury
Posts: 251
Marfy will become famous soon enough Marfy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Are you talking about the gasket between y-pipe and catback? This is the one that I ended up using with my URD Y-Pipe and DT longtubes.

17451-74051 - Toyota Parts Deal)

For me, when I had the short tubes, my shop had welded on a typical three bolt connector, so not OEM. Whatever gasket they used kept blowing out on me. I ended up ordering one from Remflex and that seemed to be doing fine until I got the long tubes installed.
__________________
2007 Limited - V8 4WD
Stock Rear RAS / Bilstein 5100s / OME 885 / RB 1.25 BL / BFG KO2s - 275/70R17 / SCS Ray 10 - Brushed Gold /
XenonDepot Hid Kit (lows) / Aftermarket Yellow Fogs w/ XenonDepot HIDs / DT Premium Long Tubes / Custom Y w/ 2 cats deleted / full custom exhaust pipe with magnaflow / aFe CAI / MAF Calbrator
Marfy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:57 PM #546
Marfy's Avatar
Marfy Marfy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Thornbury
Posts: 251
Marfy will become famous soon enough Marfy will become famous soon enough
Marfy Marfy is offline
Member
Marfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Thornbury
Posts: 251
Marfy will become famous soon enough Marfy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
@Eerlumni . That's absolutely nutty. He's probably just frustrated. Have him call me if he still thinks he needs to pull the engine. Don't worry, he's incorrect Does he have the install instructions? A lot of the time, and don't ask me why this is, many techs don't think they need to read the instructions, but these are not the run of the mill chevy install. Make sure he has the instructions, and if for some reason he doesn't there are in PDF from on DT website. If you need me to CALL him for you, let me know.
Lol. When I had the long tubes installed, I went to the same shop that did the short tubes. It ended up going to the same tech to install. When I was dropping the car off, I ended up passing my keys directly to him and he was shooting daggers at me with his eyes. I've never attempted this, but I think it does take a little finesse.

To your point, Jason, I certainly could not imagine pulling the engine to do it. As you've said, the tech must be having a moment.
__________________
2007 Limited - V8 4WD
Stock Rear RAS / Bilstein 5100s / OME 885 / RB 1.25 BL / BFG KO2s - 275/70R17 / SCS Ray 10 - Brushed Gold /
XenonDepot Hid Kit (lows) / Aftermarket Yellow Fogs w/ XenonDepot HIDs / DT Premium Long Tubes / Custom Y w/ 2 cats deleted / full custom exhaust pipe with magnaflow / aFe CAI / MAF Calbrator
Marfy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:02 PM #547
LT1coupe's Avatar
LT1coupe LT1coupe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Prescott Valley
Posts: 107
LT1coupe will become famous soon enough
LT1coupe LT1coupe is offline
Member
LT1coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Prescott Valley
Posts: 107
LT1coupe will become famous soon enough
I installed mine in my garage with no real issues. DT's instructions tell you to unbolt the motor mounts to lift the engine slightly, I lifted one side 1" & then the other to get the headers in. That's two bolts per side, no big deal. Starting the nuts, there were two or three on the center tubes behind the shock tower that you had to do with the index fingers of both hands. Torque wrench, I was only able to get on about half of them, the rest I matched by feel with a flex head box ratcheting wrench. Std sockets are too short to clear the studs, deep sockets interfered with some of the tubes. Somebody mentioned the Sunex swivel impact socket fit really well. The air tubes are in the way, so 05 and newer like mine are a little trickier.
If they think they need to pull the engine, you are at the wrong shop.

I'll also say, the more I drive it the better I like the LT, Y pipe & Gibson setup. I wish I would have bought the side exit version but didn't know any better when I bought it.
__________________
2006 V8 Sport 4wd conversion, ADD front axle, FJ twin stick transfer case, premium long tubes, truetrac ,5100's, FJ springs

Last edited by LT1coupe; 01-22-2020 at 05:06 PM.
LT1coupe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:32 AM #548
4RunnerAquasport's Avatar
4RunnerAquasport 4RunnerAquasport is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Merritt Island, Florida
Posts: 780
Real Name: Brett
4RunnerAquasport has a spectacular aura about 4RunnerAquasport has a spectacular aura about
MY GARAGE
4RunnerAquasport 4RunnerAquasport is offline
Member
4RunnerAquasport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Merritt Island, Florida
Posts: 780
Real Name: Brett
4RunnerAquasport has a spectacular aura about 4RunnerAquasport has a spectacular aura about
MY GARAGE
Titanium hardware

Anyone who was waiting received their hardware or heard of any updates yet? Just arrived home from 2 weeks at work, headers were delivered last week, but no Titanium.
__________________

1988 DLX 22RE AUTO BLACK-"Granny"
2003 SR5 SPORT V8 STRATOSPHERIC MICA-"Pearl"
2012 LIMITED V6 SHORELINE BLUE PEARL- "LE Mae"
5TH GEN BUILD THREADhttp://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...ld-thread.html
4RunnerAquasport is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:21 AM #549
JVC8790's Avatar
JVC8790 JVC8790 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 432
Real Name: John
JVC8790 has a spectacular aura about JVC8790 has a spectacular aura about JVC8790 has a spectacular aura about
JVC8790 JVC8790 is offline
Member
JVC8790's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 432
Real Name: John
JVC8790 has a spectacular aura about JVC8790 has a spectacular aura about JVC8790 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerAquasport View Post
Anyone who was waiting received their hardware or heard of any updates yet? Just arrived home from 2 weeks at work, headers were delivered last week, but no Titanium.
Nothing yet. I haven't even opened the headers since there's no point to planning for the install if I don't have all the parts to do it.
__________________
2004 4Runner V8 Limited - TRD Exhaust, LED Interior Swap, Pioneer HU, Tacoma TRD Front Suspension, FJ Rears w/Dobinson 15mm Lean Spacer, 10" + 32" Light Bars, Prius Shift Knob, 275/65R18 Falken Wildpeak, 18x9 Level 8 MK6 Et0, GOBI Ladder Build Thread
1998 Volvo S70 T5 - Custom Airlift Suspension, Mercedes Alphard Wheels, Brada Seats, Engine Bolt Ons - StanceWorks Build Thread
2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X - Wifes Car
JVC8790 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:08 AM #550
4RunnerAquasport's Avatar
4RunnerAquasport 4RunnerAquasport is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Merritt Island, Florida
Posts: 780
Real Name: Brett
4RunnerAquasport has a spectacular aura about 4RunnerAquasport has a spectacular aura about
MY GARAGE
4RunnerAquasport 4RunnerAquasport is offline
Member
4RunnerAquasport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Merritt Island, Florida
Posts: 780
Real Name: Brett
4RunnerAquasport has a spectacular aura about 4RunnerAquasport has a spectacular aura about
MY GARAGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVC8790 View Post
Nothing yet. I haven't even opened the headers since there's no point to planning for the install if I don't have all the parts to do it.
Yea I opened mine up to make sure I received the 03'-04' LTs, and not the later version. Everything seems to be included as far as instructions, gaskets, flange hdwr, etc.

I still haven't had my mail delivered from 2 weeks on hold, so the Titanium hardware might be in there. Anyone get theirs USPS?

I did receive 2 DT decals with the headers that I didn't get with my Y pipe last year. Come on DT! Spread some swag around!!
Attached Images
Group buy for Doug Thorley PREMIUM VERSION headers, need 20 people!-20200127_085842~2-jpg 
__________________

1988 DLX 22RE AUTO BLACK-"Granny"
2003 SR5 SPORT V8 STRATOSPHERIC MICA-"Pearl"
2012 LIMITED V6 SHORELINE BLUE PEARL- "LE Mae"
5TH GEN BUILD THREADhttp://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...ld-thread.html
4RunnerAquasport is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:52 AM #551
Jason B's Avatar
Jason B Jason B is offline
Official Vendor
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,737
Jason B is a jewel in the rough Jason B is a jewel in the rough Jason B is a jewel in the rough
Jason B Jason B is offline
Official Vendor
Jason B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,737
Jason B is a jewel in the rough Jason B is a jewel in the rough Jason B is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerlumni View Post
Anyone know a good replacement gasket for the collector flange at the back of the Thorley Y-pipe?

...or do I need to order an OEM donut gasket?
The long tubes are supplied with gaskets for manifold and collector. The y-pipe Doug Thorley has told me they recommend customers to reuse the factory as they are not supplied. My contact at DT says you can use the OEM from local Toyota dealership for that Y. So, people have been using Remflex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marfy View Post

To your point, Jason, I certainly could not imagine pulling the engine to do it. As you've said, the tech must be having a moment.
Yea, lol. That would be insane. If any tech tells you they need to pull then engine to install your headers, pull him aside with a nicely printed out version of the install instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerAquasport View Post
Yea I opened mine up to make sure I received the 03'-04' LTs, and not the later version. Everything seems to be included as far as instructions, gaskets, flange hdwr, etc.

I still haven't had my mail delivered from 2 weeks on hold, so the Titanium hardware might be in there. Anyone get theirs USPS?

I did receive 2 DT decals with the headers that I didn't get with my Y pipe last year. Come on DT! Spread some swag around!!


Sexy pic! Looks good. Yes, the Titanium hardware has to ship separate. My plan originally was to ship everything to Doug Thorley and have them put it in all the boxes but it couldn't be done that way so shipping the Titanium hardware out separate, etc. Anyone can text me at 717-319-2100 if you are still waiting on hardware and I'll check for ya.
__________________
For 4Runner/SUV Accessories, please visit www.burtmanindustries.com
My 4Runner website

https://www.youtube.com/user/burtmanindustries, New YouTube channel! please subscribe and I'll make more videos!
jason@burtmanindustries.com
DO NOT PM - text/call 717-319-2100 (24/7)
Jason B is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:37 PM #552
4RunnerAquasport's Avatar
4RunnerAquasport 4RunnerAquasport is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Merritt Island, Florida
Posts: 780
Real Name: Brett
4RunnerAquasport has a spectacular aura about 4RunnerAquasport has a spectacular aura about
MY GARAGE
4RunnerAquasport 4RunnerAquasport is offline
Member
4RunnerAquasport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Merritt Island, Florida
Posts: 780
Real Name: Brett
4RunnerAquasport has a spectacular aura about 4RunnerAquasport has a spectacular aura about
MY GARAGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
The long tubes are supplied with gaskets for manifold and collector. The y-pipe Doug Thorley has told me they recommend customers to reuse the factory as they are not supplied. My contact at DT says you can use the OEM from local Toyota dealership for that Y. So, people have been using Remflex?
I used Remflex PN 7021 last year when the Y pipe was installed. @Brian3676 from your thread recommended them. They have worked fine. Thanks for the text back this morning Jason. I'm ready to bust some knuckles and get these LTs installed.

-Brett
__________________

1988 DLX 22RE AUTO BLACK-"Granny"
2003 SR5 SPORT V8 STRATOSPHERIC MICA-"Pearl"
2012 LIMITED V6 SHORELINE BLUE PEARL- "LE Mae"
5TH GEN BUILD THREADhttp://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...ld-thread.html
4RunnerAquasport is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:55 PM #553
doofenshmirtz doofenshmirtz is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 159
doofenshmirtz will become famous soon enough
doofenshmirtz doofenshmirtz is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 159
doofenshmirtz will become famous soon enough
Iíve received my hardware after probably being more of a thorn in Jasonís side than I should have been (sorry Jason), and Iíve got everything at a shop getting installed. I wanted to do it myself, but itíd be March before I had the time, and Iíd rather just get it done if Iím going to have to be taunted by parts in my garage for 2 months.

Theyíve had a bit of trouble getting everything ~just~ right. Theyíre on their THIRD day. Apparently they got everything together and then felt like the bolts werenít quite right and pulled a lot of it off to re-torque the studs and go again.

Hoping to have it around lunch tomorrow. Iím wondering if theyíll go with their quote price or do an hourly rate. Iíd feel bad if they gave me the quote price, honestly. Theyíd be losing money for sure.

Hereís hoping the rest of yíall have smoother installs than theyíve had! Iíll post some pictures with the titanium bits once itís all said and done.
doofenshmirtz is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:30 PM #554
95supra 95supra is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: ct
Posts: 82
95supra is on a distinguished road
95supra 95supra is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: ct
Posts: 82
95supra is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by doofenshmirtz View Post
Iíve received my hardware after probably being more of a thorn in Jasonís side than I should have been (sorry Jason), and Iíve got everything at a shop getting installed. I wanted to do it myself, but itíd be March before I had the time, and Iíd rather just get it done if Iím going to have to be taunted by parts in my garage for 2 months.

Theyíve had a bit of trouble getting everything ~just~ right. Theyíre on their THIRD day. Apparently they got everything together and then felt like the bolts werenít quite right and pulled a lot of it off to re-torque the studs and go again.

Hoping to have it around lunch tomorrow. Iím wondering if theyíll go with their quote price or do an hourly rate. Iíd feel bad if they gave me the quote price, honestly. Theyíd be losing money for sure.

Hereís hoping the rest of yíall have smoother installs than theyíve had! Iíll post some pictures with the titanium bits once itís all said and done.
So im wondering what exactly wasn't right with the bolts? Im waiting on the titanium hardware also and now im rethinking that decision. are they more trouble than what they are worth? maybe I should just buy new oem studs and nuts instead of waiting on the $150 titanium hardware.
95supra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:08 PM #555
doofenshmirtz doofenshmirtz is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 159
doofenshmirtz will become famous soon enough
doofenshmirtz doofenshmirtz is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 159
doofenshmirtz will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95supra View Post
So im wondering what exactly wasn't right with the bolts? Im waiting on the titanium hardware also and now im rethinking that decision. are they more trouble than what they are worth? maybe I should just buy new oem studs and nuts instead of waiting on the $150 titanium hardware.
I donít think the bolts themselves were the problem. I think they didnít get the studs tight enough before they put the flanges on - the titanium hardware was impressive.
doofenshmirtz is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
03-04 , 05-09 , buy , group , headers

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
05-09 4.7L Doug Thorley Headers, group buy Jason B 4th Gen T4Rs 346 04-16-2019 07:12 AM
Doug Thorley Headers w/ or w/o EGR? DavidAlexander 3rd gen T4Rs 8 07-13-2016 10:57 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2019


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.