User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2019, 09:43 AM #1
MityMax96 MityMax96 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 36
MityMax96 is on a distinguished road
MityMax96 MityMax96 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 36
MityMax96 is on a distinguished road
Suspension lift recommendations

Hello all,
I have a 2008 SR5
Currently installed Rough Country Lift and leveling kit.
3" up front, 2" in rear.
I am looking to do a suspension lift on it.

So recommendations for one
My old 2001 I had, I did Bilsteins along w/ OME coils and I liked that.
For my current 2008 if I go with 3" up front and 2" in the rear what is recommended?

Also if I wanted to do 4" up front and 3" in rear, what would be recommended to get as well as need to be done. From my reading it seems if I go over 3" up front then I also need to replace the control arms??

Any insight/thoughts would be very much appreciated.
MityMax96 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:34 AM #2
ManhstuhT4R ManhstuhT4R is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 126
ManhstuhT4R is on a distinguished road
ManhstuhT4R ManhstuhT4R is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 126
ManhstuhT4R is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MityMax96 View Post
Hello all,
I have a 2008 SR5
Currently installed Rough Country Lift and leveling kit.
3" up front, 2" in rear.
I am looking to do a suspension lift on it.

So recommendations for one
My old 2001 I had, I did Bilsteins along w/ OME coils and I liked that.
For my current 2008 if I go with 3" up front and 2" in the rear what is recommended?

Also if I wanted to do 4" up front and 3" in rear, what would be recommended to get as well as need to be done. From my reading it seems if I go over 3" up front then I also need to replace the control arms??

Any insight/thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Your best bet is to stick with a 3 and 2 combo so you don't mess up any of the angles up front. I do know a lot of guys will do a 3 and 2 suspension lift and then do a 1 inch body lift. Usually we say when you go even pass 2 inches of lift you might want to replace the control arms. This will allow you to actually get the full articulation of your suspension, ride quality back, and get your alignment into specs. The 4th gens most popular kit I do is definitely the OME kit and possibly our boss kit for the height adjustable from 0-3 inches. Let me know if you need help I'm Anthony over at Toyteclifts
ManhstuhT4R is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:59 PM #3
NinjaOne's Avatar
NinjaOne NinjaOne is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,175
NinjaOne will become famous soon enough
MY GARAGE
NinjaOne NinjaOne is offline
Senior Member
NinjaOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,175
NinjaOne will become famous soon enough
MY GARAGE
Ride quality is best between 2-2.5" of lift, you can run a little more without losing much ride quality (3") 4" you'll go through a lot more joints, CVs etc and have reduced ride quality

I'm running personally ~2.5/2" of lift and it rides great on/off-road. If you really want the height, go with larger tires. 35s and a 3" lift will net you ~5.5" of ride height increase vs stock.
__________________
<a href=https://www.instagram.com/t4r_juan/ target=_blank>t4r_juan</a>
NinjaOne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:34 PM #4
MityMax96 MityMax96 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 36
MityMax96 is on a distinguished road
MityMax96 MityMax96 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 36
MityMax96 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhstuhT4R View Post
Your best bet is to stick with a 3 and 2 combo so you don't mess up any of the angles up front. I do know a lot of guys will do a 3 and 2 suspension lift and then do a 1 inch body lift. Usually we say when you go even pass 2 inches of lift you might want to replace the control arms. This will allow you to actually get the full articulation of your suspension, ride quality back, and get your alignment into specs. The 4th gens most popular kit I do is definitely the OME kit and possibly our boss kit for the height adjustable from 0-3 inches. Let me know if you need help I'm Anthony over at Toyteclifts
So if I stick w/ the 3/2 which control arms do you recommend?
Do you have a link to the OME kit you are referring too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaOne View Post
Ride quality is best between 2-2.5" of lift, you can run a little more without losing much ride quality (3") 4" you'll go through a lot more joints, CVs etc and have reduced ride quality

I'm running personally ~2.5/2" of lift and it rides great on/off-road. If you really want the height, go with larger tires. 35s and a 3" lift will net you ~5.5" of ride height increase vs stock.
The only thing I worry about going less than 3" up front is that right now, even w/ the 3". My tires are rubbing and they are only 31s (KO2)
But I also wonder if maybe that is just because the front struts are the original ones on the vehicle and perhaps they just need to be replaced, and it would correct the rubbing issue.
The rubbing occurs when backing up and turning the wheel and I have noticed it when I have an adult passenger up front with me and I am turning.
MityMax96 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:09 PM #5
ManhstuhT4R ManhstuhT4R is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 126
ManhstuhT4R is on a distinguished road
ManhstuhT4R ManhstuhT4R is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 126
ManhstuhT4R is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MityMax96 View Post
So if I stick w/ the 3/2 which control arms do you recommend?
Do you have a link to the OME kit you are referring too?



The only thing I worry about going less than 3" up front is that right now, even w/ the 3". My tires are rubbing and they are only 31s (KO2)
But I also wonder if maybe that is just because the front struts are the original ones on the vehicle and perhaps they just need to be replaced, and it would correct the rubbing issue.
The rubbing occurs when backing up and turning the wheel and I have noticed it when I have an adult passenger up front with me and I am turning.
Most of the lifts we install here are going to be using the SPC UCAs and that allows you to actually pull your tires forward about an inch away from the body mount for no rubbing and then we just trim the bumper a little and pull the liner forward. The ome kit is here

OME-FJ4R - Old Man Emu Suspension (07-09 FJ & 03-09 4Runner)
ManhstuhT4R is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:09 PM #6
ManhstuhT4R ManhstuhT4R is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 126
ManhstuhT4R is on a distinguished road
ManhstuhT4R ManhstuhT4R is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 126
ManhstuhT4R is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MityMax96 View Post
So if I stick w/ the 3/2 which control arms do you recommend?
Do you have a link to the OME kit you are referring too?



The only thing I worry about going less than 3" up front is that right now, even w/ the 3". My tires are rubbing and they are only 31s (KO2)
But I also wonder if maybe that is just because the front struts are the original ones on the vehicle and perhaps they just need to be replaced, and it would correct the rubbing issue.
The rubbing occurs when backing up and turning the wheel and I have noticed it when I have an adult passenger up front with me and I am turning.
Most of the lifts we install here are going to be using the SPC UCAs and that allows you to actually pull your tires forward about an inch away from the body mount for no rubbing and then we just trim the bumper a little and pull the liner forward. The ome kit is here

OME-FJ4R - Old Man Emu Suspension (07-09 FJ & 03-09 4Runner)
ManhstuhT4R is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:14 PM #7
MityMax96 MityMax96 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 36
MityMax96 is on a distinguished road
MityMax96 MityMax96 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 36
MityMax96 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhstuhT4R View Post
Most of the lifts we install here are going to be using the SPC UCAs and that allows you to actually pull your tires forward about an inch away from the body mount for no rubbing and then we just trim the bumper a little and pull the liner forward. The ome kit is here

OME-FJ4R - Old Man Emu Suspension (07-09 FJ & 03-09 4Runner)
Great.
Thank you.
MityMax96 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:20 AM #8
MityMax96 MityMax96 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 36
MityMax96 is on a distinguished road
MityMax96 MityMax96 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 36
MityMax96 is on a distinguished road
Just a follow up on this thread.
Went with Bilstein shocks.
Used OME 2884's up front.
Set the collar on the front shocks up one rung from stock/default. So I think that is 0.85?
The lift looks good and where I want it at....I think it will settle down a bit
My tires aren't rubbing, so I am happy.
We will see what they say when I take it for an alignment.
MityMax96 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:32 PM #9
eleven14 eleven14 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kansas
Posts: 98
eleven14 is on a distinguished road
eleven14 eleven14 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kansas
Posts: 98
eleven14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MityMax96 View Post
Just a follow up on this thread.
Went with Bilstein shocks.
Used OME 2884's up front.
Set the collar on the front shocks up one rung from stock/default. So I think that is 0.85?
The lift looks good and where I want it at....I think it will settle down a bit
My tires aren't rubbing, so I am happy.
We will see what they say when I take it for an alignment.
Nice, stock UCAs? I'm considering a similar route but have been cautioned about using OME springs with 5100s on any setting other than standard (no collar adjustment).

Report back on the alignment and post pics!
eleven14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:17 PM #10
Dusty Driftwood's Avatar
Dusty Driftwood Dusty Driftwood is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Louis
Age: 39
Posts: 1,044
Real Name: Jeff
Dusty Driftwood will become famous soon enough
MY GARAGE
Dusty Driftwood Dusty Driftwood is offline
Senior Member
Dusty Driftwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Louis
Age: 39
Posts: 1,044
Real Name: Jeff
Dusty Driftwood will become famous soon enough
MY GARAGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhstuhT4R View Post
Most of the lifts we install here are going to be using the SPC UCAs and that allows you to actually pull your tires forward about an inch away from the body mount for no rubbing and then we just trim the bumper a little and pull the liner forward. The ome kit is here

OME-FJ4R - Old Man Emu Suspension (07-09 FJ & 03-09 4Runner)
Instead of starting another thread, I'll just comment here. I currently have the 2.5/1.5 Daystar spacer lift installed. There are ~125,000 miles on the original suspension.

I would like to replace the spacer lift and OEM suspension with a shock/spring combo that will net the same lift (or, up to 0.5" more). Will the equipment you recommended be an equivalent to what I am looking for? Are other parts needed to safely run this setup?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MityMax96 View Post
Just a follow up on this thread.
Went with Bilstein shocks.
Used OME 2884's up front.
Set the collar on the front shocks up one rung from stock/default. So I think that is 0.85?
The lift looks good and where I want it at....I think it will settle down a bit
My tires aren't rubbing, so I am happy.
We will see what they say when I take it for an alignment.
What size tires? How do you like it? Did you install any additional parts to facilitate the lift (Upper control arms for example). Got some pics?

Thanks
__________________
2008 Driftwood Pearl SR5 4X4 V6: Dusty
2007 Nautical Blue Metalic SR5 4X4 V6: Carl
PHOTO ThreadDusty's Cargo Drawers
Dusty Driftwood is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:03 AM #11
ManhstuhT4R ManhstuhT4R is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 126
ManhstuhT4R is on a distinguished road
ManhstuhT4R ManhstuhT4R is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 126
ManhstuhT4R is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Driftwood View Post
Instead of starting another thread, I'll just comment here. I currently have the 2.5/1.5 Daystar spacer lift installed. There are ~125,000 miles on the original suspension.

I would like to replace the spacer lift and OEM suspension with a shock/spring combo that will net the same lift (or, up to 0.5" more). Will the equipment you recommended be an equivalent to what I am looking for? Are other parts needed to safely run this setup?




What size tires? How do you like it? Did you install any additional parts to facilitate the lift (Upper control arms for example). Got some pics?

Thanks
You are correct, this is a great inexpensive option where OME is down also known as the work horse of all suspensions which means they just keep going. You can definitely Step it up with something fancy but if you are just wanting to replace those spacers like you said, it would be a great option. Let me know if I can help in any other way! You can even call Toyteclifts and ask for Anthony and I'll answer whatever questions you have.
ManhstuhT4R is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
front , lift , rear , recommended , suspension

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2009 suspension /lift recommendations Equalizir 4th Gen T4Rs 5 02-08-2019 11:12 AM
Suspension lift recommendations drrandall1 5th gen T4Rs 22 08-26-2018 12:23 AM
1.5" lift Suspension Help/recommendations Sauce839 5th gen T4Rs 45 05-13-2017 11:08 AM
Suspension recommendations please 5280 TRail-Runner 5th gen T4Rs 26 01-04-2017 03:27 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2019


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.