User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2020, 10:08 AM #1
Cooper44 Cooper44 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 14
Cooper44 is on a distinguished road
Cooper44 Cooper44 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 14
Cooper44 is on a distinguished road
Buying help

Hi everyone! Iím in the midst of the buying process and would like some advice before I pull the trigger.

Iíve been wanting to join the 4Runner bandwagon for a couple years now and am finally in the position financially to do so. Iíve spent countless hours reading through every relevant forum I could find and appreciate all the knowledge shared thus far.

I narrowed my search to a 4th gen V8 and think I have found the perfect one. It is a 2006 V8 and has been babied itís whole life, but it has 205,000 miles on it. I negotiated $1,000 off the asking price and am at $8,500 right now. The truck has a clean carfax and I am having a mechanic check it out tomorrow. I just really canít afford to have it die on me in the near future, so I thought Iíd reach out for yíalls help.

Here is the description of the ad and the recent preventative maintenance:

ďExcellent condition and meticulously maintained. All preventative maintenance taken care of on time. Everything works. Great for a daily driver and ready for more adventure.

Basics:
2006 limited with leather, nav, sunroof and a V8. 205,000 miles, Mobil 1 oil changes, all services done on time or early. Exterior is in great shape with minor trail rash. Interior also in great shape. No cracks in dash. Driver seat bottom needs repair.

Mods:
Bilstein 6112 front coilovers and King coils, Bilstein 5160 rear shocks with Icon coils, SPC UCA, 5th gen brakes and trail wheels with Falken Wildpeak AT 33s (7k miles), ARB front bumper, lifetime LED cubes, all led light, wired for fridge, etc.

Service since 180k:
Timing belt, water pump, HVAC clutch fan, alternator, pcv valve, radiator, all hoses, pulleys, belts and fluids. Tie rods, rebuilt SPC front UCA, new oem LCA, new king 700lb. coils.Ē

What do yíall think? Heís got over 4K in mods done (that I would have done myself regardless) I appreciate you taking the time to read this over for me!
Cooper44 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:12 PM #2
firebirdguy firebirdguy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: iowa
Posts: 467
firebirdguy has a spectacular aura about firebirdguy has a spectacular aura about
firebirdguy firebirdguy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: iowa
Posts: 467
firebirdguy has a spectacular aura about firebirdguy has a spectacular aura about
sounds like a nice 4runner & fair price but a little high on the miles.

if you havent yet, i would ask for good pics of the frame or if you can see it in person crawl under the truck & look over the frame & suspension parts for rust. the one thing these 4runners & tacomas suffer from is terrible frame rust, especially in winter climates. im sure youre aware but tacomas had a recall due to frame rust... but they wont do it for 4runners that use the exact frame & have the same rust issues.

all in all it sounds like a decent deal if everything else checks out.

Last edited by firebirdguy; 01-22-2020 at 02:55 PM.
firebirdguy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:25 PM #3
hinmo24t hinmo24t is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: MA
Posts: 1,105
hinmo24t is a jewel in the rough hinmo24t is a jewel in the rough hinmo24t is a jewel in the rough hinmo24t is a jewel in the rough
hinmo24t hinmo24t is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: MA
Posts: 1,105
hinmo24t is a jewel in the rough hinmo24t is a jewel in the rough hinmo24t is a jewel in the rough hinmo24t is a jewel in the rough
high miles and modified...i always preferred modding myself. decent chance it has been wheeled hard by previous owner with such modifications?

similar thinking to buying a used WRX. id rather find one stock than modified because modified means they likely used it hard or increase of that chance.

your call...i could be off with my thinking here.
hinmo24t is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:01 PM #4
Cooper44 Cooper44 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 14
Cooper44 is on a distinguished road
Cooper44 Cooper44 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 14
Cooper44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdguy View Post
sounds like a nice 4runner & fair price but a little high on the miles.

if you havent yet, i would ask for good pics of the frame or if you can see it in person crawl under the truck & look over the frame & suspension parts for rust. the one thing these 4runners & tacomas suffer from is terrible frame rust, especially in winter climates. im sure youre aware but tacomas had a recall due to frame rust... but they wont do it for 4runners that use the exact frame & have the same rust issues.

all in all it sounds like a decent deal if everything else checks out.
Appreciate it. Frame rot has been one of my biggest concerns while looking. Luckily this one spent a majority of its life in Texas and is in pretty good shape
Cooper44 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:04 PM #5
Cooper44 Cooper44 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 14
Cooper44 is on a distinguished road
Cooper44 Cooper44 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 14
Cooper44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinmo24t View Post
high miles and modified...i always preferred modding myself. decent chance it has been wheeled hard by previous owner with such modifications?

similar thinking to buying a used WRX. id rather find one stock than modified because modified means they likely used it hard or increase of that chance.

your call...i could be off with my thinking here.
It has definitely been used, but not abused. I understand where you are coming from and have thought about it from that perspective as well, but I also value having the mods already done to save me time and the headache. I'm just starting to dip my toes into everything and have no prior experience working with cars besides changing my oil here and there.

I think this would give me a good start to working on things my own. Relatively cheap vehicle to "practice" on and doesn't need big, major mods right away. I can gradually add smaller mods and kind of work my way up if that makes any sense?

Thanks for the thoughts!
Cooper44 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:23 PM #6
Zed33 Zed33 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 41
Zed33 is on a distinguished road
Zed33 Zed33 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 41
Zed33 is on a distinguished road
Post the link so we can get a look at it. The only major factors for you to consider are rust depending on where you live/where it's been and the 4lo/center diff lock actuator.

Last edited by Zed33; 01-22-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Zed33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:25 PM #7
Cooper44 Cooper44 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 14
Cooper44 is on a distinguished road
Cooper44 Cooper44 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 14
Cooper44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed33 View Post
Post the link so we can get a look at it. The only major factors for you to consider are rust depending on where you live/where it's been and the 4lo/center diff lock actuator. If that doesn't engage, you will spend a bit to replace it or tinker with it yourself, however this part won't leave you stranded if you leave it alone.
Those were my first two questions to him lol. Here is the link:

Facebook Marketplace: 2006 Toyota 4Runner * Limited Sport Utility 4D - Cars, Trucks & Motorcycles - Durham, North Carolina
Cooper44 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:32 PM #8
Zed33 Zed33 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 41
Zed33 is on a distinguished road
Zed33 Zed33 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 41
Zed33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper44 View Post
Oh yea! I saw that one for sale before I bought mine. Good job doing research, I also obsessively read everything I could before buying it. Definitely get some pictures of the frame. If that's all good I'd go for it, the v8/trans these are equipped with is a solid combo.
Zed33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:38 PM #9
Cooper44 Cooper44 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 14
Cooper44 is on a distinguished road
Cooper44 Cooper44 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 14
Cooper44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed33 View Post
Oh yea! I saw that one for sale before I bought mine. Good job doing research, I also obsessively read everything I could before buying it. Definitely get some pictures of the frame. If that's all good I'd go for it, the v8/trans these are equipped with is a solid combo.
Woah, small world man. May I ask when you first saw this one for sale? Might add to my negotiation leverage haha

And I appreciate the insight. I just checked out your rig and it looks sick!
Cooper44 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:13 PM #10
ZLJUANN ZLJUANN is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 45
ZLJUANN is on a distinguished road
ZLJUANN ZLJUANN is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 45
ZLJUANN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper44 View Post
That is a very clean looking rig. The mods are bonus. Even if you buy all those components second hand, you'll spend a couple thousand. 200k miles is nothing for these. thats a $12-15k truck out here in CA.
ZLJUANN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:10 AM #11
Zed33 Zed33 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 41
Zed33 is on a distinguished road
Zed33 Zed33 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 41
Zed33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper44 View Post
Woah, small world man. May I ask when you first saw this one for sale? Might add to my negotiation leverage haha

And I appreciate the insight. I just checked out your rig and it looks sick!
Yes small world indeed!

Honestly it was a while ago. I've had mine almost a month and started looking about a month before that.

And thanks, I bought her with some known issues going in but it was only $5k. So far I've put almost $1k into it and she's getting back up to "nice" status lol slowly but surely. Almost gotten everything sorted except for the backyard exhaust and the 4lo actuator. Going to wait until I get another beater to tackle that as I may just drop the tcase. Pic of the front end "almost" level and the bumper gap fixed. She's getting there:
pjimage

Last edited by Zed33; 01-23-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Zed33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:13 AM #12
Zed33 Zed33 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 41
Zed33 is on a distinguished road
Zed33 Zed33 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 41
Zed33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLJUANN View Post
That is a very clean looking rig. The mods are bonus. Even if you buy all those components second hand, you'll spend a couple thousand. 200k miles is nothing for these. thats a $12-15k truck out here in CA.
CA prices are crazy man! I'm also not one to be deterred from a modified vehicle as long as the mods are tasteful.
Zed33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:16 AM #13
firebirdguy firebirdguy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: iowa
Posts: 467
firebirdguy has a spectacular aura about firebirdguy has a spectacular aura about
firebirdguy firebirdguy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: iowa
Posts: 467
firebirdguy has a spectacular aura about firebirdguy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed33 View Post
Yes small world indeed!

Honestly it was a while ago. I've had mine almost a month and started looking about a month before that.

And thanks, I bought her with some known issues going in but it was only $5k. So far I've put almost $1k into it and she's getting back up to "nice" status lol slowly but surely. Almost gotten everything sorted except for the backyard exhaust and the 4lo actuator. Going to wait until I get another beater to tackle that as I may just drop the tcase. Pic of the front end "almost" level and the bumper gap fixed. She's getting there:
pjimage
nice looking 4runner & $5k is a great price!

were the rims painted when you bought it? the charcoal looks nice on the sport rims.
firebirdguy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:15 PM #14
Zed33 Zed33 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 41
Zed33 is on a distinguished road
Zed33 Zed33 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 41
Zed33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdguy View Post
nice looking 4runner & $5k is a great price!

were the rims painted when you bought it? the charcoal looks nice on the sport rims.
Thanks man, yes they were painted already. I kinda want to go with a bronze to give it some contrast.

To the OP: Keep us updated on what you decide to do!
Zed33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
driver , front , great , miles , time

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
buying a 4th gen. THIS OR THAT mace4runner 4th Gen T4Rs 16 04-01-2015 07:00 PM
Looking at Buying Brandonh13 4th Gen T4Rs 10 01-28-2014 03:18 PM
What to look for when buying 4th Gen T4R?? kmanvt 4th Gen T4Rs 10 10-15-2009 02:10 PM
Looking at buying IwannaT4R Classic T4Rs 5 06-07-2008 08:43 PM
Buying used 4th gen bfd3832 4th Gen T4Rs 2 04-17-2006 04:42 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020