User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2020, 02:48 PM #16
alpinhi's Avatar
alpinhi alpinhi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: KS
Posts: 105
alpinhi is on a distinguished road
alpinhi alpinhi is offline
Member
alpinhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: KS
Posts: 105
alpinhi is on a distinguished road
I guess Ill be that guy, I didn't want to pay a whole lot for a rack but needed one since my spare wouldn't fit in the factory spot anymore. I ended going for the Rola rack off of amazon, I did opt to add the center extension to add some length and Im glad I did because I use every inch of it on trips. The brackets that come with the Rola rack attach to your factory cross bars on the luggage rack. I didn't even put those on, just threw them in the trash and opted for the 4XInovations Rola rack lowering brackets. I wanted the rack to have a low profile and not stick up like some of those goofing looking baskets and I wanted the truck to still fit in the garage when the rack was empty.
Long story short, some people complained about Rola rusting and dripping rusty water on their vehicles. Rola now sends rubber sleeves that slide over the connection joints to help prevent this. I took it one step farther and put black RTV around all the screws and connections then put the sleeve over. I have had this rack in the midwest for 5 years with zero rust or powder coat flaking off. The rack says its rated for 200lbs of weight but I can crawl on top of it fully loaded with the spare, fuel can, and gear with no issues at all. The one issue I did have early on was the front fairing would hum badly at highway speeds, the mounting screws couldn't get it tight enough. I had a cheap remedy that worked like a charm, I pulled the fairing back off and wrapped the front tube that the fairing mounts to with a bicycle inner tube and re-installed the faring over it and that did it. You can't see the inner tube or even know its there. A little ghetto you say, maybe but it was cheap fix for an annoying problem. I love the rack and it was only meant to be short term use until I saved up for a "nice" rack. I like it so much I haven't changed it and it has been throughs trails in Moab and all over Colorado including the entire Kokopelli Trail. I have just under $300 totally invested in it.
Attached Images
Best roof rack?-20180820_153309__-jpg  Best roof rack?-20180818_103510-jpg 
__________________
05 Sport V8- Icon Stage 1, SPC UCA, 285/75 BFG AT2, CBI ditch lights with Rigid Duallys, HIR lowbeams, yellow top optima, Relentless Predator front bumper with a Warn M8000, Relentless Running Rails, Rola Roof rack, Pioneer 4100 NEX
Like my T4R but still really miss my Rubicon
alpinhi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:05 AM #17
Boort's Avatar
Boort Boort is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 134
Boort will become famous soon enough
Boort Boort is offline
Member
Boort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 134
Boort will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoulabulldog View Post
I’m definitely leaning towards Sherpa or Victory 4x4. I didn’t really want aluminum but after seeing that their load capabilities are the same as the steel at half the weight it might be the way to go.
@Catahoulabulldog

Aluminum has another bonus over steel besides weight... It does not rust. The last thing you want is a rusty rack dripping ugly Bloody Sh!t stains down your rig.



Boort
__________________
-- 1997 Tacoma v6 Std Cab
-- 2006 4Runner v8

Last edited by Boort; 03-20-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Boort is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:40 PM #18
Ambient Ambient is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Vermont
Posts: 8
Ambient is on a distinguished road
Ambient Ambient is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Vermont
Posts: 8
Ambient is on a distinguished road
This may be a dumb question, but can the Victory or Sherpa racks take the weight of a person?
The reason I ask is because I would like to set up my tripod on top of my 4runner and do some photography. Just want to be sure that it could take the "point load" weight.
Ambient is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:48 PM #19
mysticz's Avatar
mysticz mysticz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Norcal
Posts: 866
mysticz will become famous soon enough
mysticz mysticz is offline
Member
mysticz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Norcal
Posts: 866
mysticz will become famous soon enough
Best roof rack?

I think the first question needs to be answered is what do you plan to use your roof rack for? RTT, gear, gun box storage and etc.



Example for me I decided to go with BajaRack exp style rack to hold gear in the front enclosed area and a RTT on the rear portion of the rack. Now I have sold my Tepui RTT I am looking to replace my current rack with a Sherpa style rack.


__________________
2005 T4R Silver SR5 V6 4wd with Mods.

.

Last edited by mysticz; 03-19-2020 at 06:52 PM.
mysticz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:57 PM #20
mysticz's Avatar
mysticz mysticz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Norcal
Posts: 866
mysticz will become famous soon enough
mysticz mysticz is offline
Member
mysticz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Norcal
Posts: 866
mysticz will become famous soon enough
Best roof rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinhi View Post
I guess Ill be that guy, I didn't want to pay a whole lot for a rack but needed one since my spare wouldn't fit in the factory spot anymore. I ended going for the Rola rack off of amazon, I did opt to add the center extension to add some length and Im glad I did because I use every inch of it on trips. The brackets that come with the Rola rack attach to your factory cross bars on the luggage rack. I didn't even put those on, just threw them in the trash and opted for the 4XInovations Rola rack lowering brackets. I wanted the rack to have a low profile and not stick up like some of those goofing looking baskets and I wanted the truck to still fit in the garage when the rack was empty.

Long story short, some people complained about Rola rusting and dripping rusty water on their vehicles. Rola now sends rubber sleeves that slide over the connection joints to help prevent this. I took it one step farther and put black RTV around all the screws and connections then put the sleeve over. I have had this rack in the midwest for 5 years with zero rust or powder coat flaking off. The rack says its rated for 200lbs of weight but I can crawl on top of it fully loaded with the spare, fuel can, and gear with no issues at all. The one issue I did have early on was the front fairing would hum badly at highway speeds, the mounting screws couldn't get it tight enough. I had a cheap remedy that worked like a charm, I pulled the fairing back off and wrapped the front tube that the fairing mounts to with a bicycle inner tube and re-installed the faring over it and that did it. You can't see the inner tube or even know its there. A little ghetto you say, maybe but it was cheap fix for an annoying problem. I love the rack and it was only meant to be short term use until I saved up for a "nice" rack. I like it so much I haven't changed it and it has been throughs trails in Moab and all over Colorado including the entire Kokopelli Trail. I have just under $300 totally invested in it.


I still have sitting in my garage collecting dust something similar I used before a full rack, its a BajaRack mule rack. Photo of my old parts.

__________________
2005 T4R Silver SR5 V6 4wd with Mods.

.

Last edited by mysticz; 03-19-2020 at 07:02 PM.
mysticz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:29 AM #21
That_Titanium_4RNR's Avatar
That_Titanium_4RNR That_Titanium_4RNR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: NC
Age: 22
Posts: 761
Real Name: Michael
That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice
That_Titanium_4RNR That_Titanium_4RNR is offline
Member
That_Titanium_4RNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: NC
Age: 22
Posts: 761
Real Name: Michael
That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambient View Post
This may be a dumb question, but can the Victory or Sherpa racks take the weight of a person?
The reason I ask is because I would like to set up my tripod on top of my 4runner and do some photography. Just want to be sure that it could take the "point load" weight.
It takes my 175lbs just fine, even better if spread out over 2 bars
Attached Images
Best roof rack?-img-3671-jpg 
__________________
Titanium Metallic 2006 Limited 4WD V8 | Doug Thorley "Premium" Long Tubes/Ypipe | Flowmaster 50 Delta Flow | Fr: 5100/885/SPC R: Icon 2"/2nd gen links | 285/75R17 G003s | Sherpa Princeton | Baja Designs | 5th Gen Brakes | Everything else is in the Build Thread
That_Titanium_4RNR is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:15 PM #22
Boort's Avatar
Boort Boort is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 134
Boort will become famous soon enough
Boort Boort is offline
Member
Boort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 134
Boort will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambient View Post
This may be a dumb question, but can the Victory or Sherpa racks take the weight of a person?
The reason I ask is because I would like to set up my tripod on top of my 4runner and do some photography. Just want to be sure that it could take the "point load" weight.
You'd want to distribute the load across multiple cross members. I would not be really concerned about the cross members carrying the weight. Some back of the napkin calculations: The cross member profiles are 1x2" extruded aluminum about 47" long (on my 4th gen) If you weigh 200 lbs and stand in the center of the member it would be expected to deflect a bit more than 1/3" down. (not accounting for any deflection of the side panels that are supporting the ends.)

Each cross member is connected by 2 Stainless Steel 1/4x20 bolts at each end. The shoulder of the profile would take out much of the leverage by the 1/3" deflection caused by the center load. So your 200 lbs on just one member would be focused primarily on the shank and heads of these bolts. Looking up a grade 5 1/4x20 bolt would report a clamping force of 1117lbs over a clamping area of 0.0318 Sq Inches. 200lbs spread evenly across the 4 bolts works out to each bolt supporting ~50lbs + 1/4 the 1 lb weight of the cross member itself.

The next item down is the mounting points on you're 4Runner's roof which I don't have specific details for other than the original rack's load rating of 150 lbs. But that was likely due to all of the fiberglass/GRP in the stock rack rather than the mounting point failure load.

TLDR: you probably don't want to focus all of your weight on just 1 or 2 cross members but otherwise I think the Sherpa rack can take the point load of a 200lb person standing on top.

The Owners and Engineers from @SherpaEquipmentCo are members here and could weigh in with more technical details or point out where my calculations are wrong.

Boort
__________________
-- 1997 Tacoma v6 Std Cab
-- 2006 4Runner v8
Boort is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:16 PM #23
Ambient Ambient is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Vermont
Posts: 8
Ambient is on a distinguished road
Ambient Ambient is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Vermont
Posts: 8
Ambient is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking I'll have to put down a piece of plywood anyway, so the tripod has something to rest on and I can move around without worrying about my feet too much.

Looks like I'm good to go!
Ambient is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:55 PM #24
Boort's Avatar
Boort Boort is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 134
Boort will become famous soon enough
Boort Boort is offline
Member
Boort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 134
Boort will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambient View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking I'll have to put down a piece of plywood anyway, so the tripod has something to rest on and I can move around without worrying about my feet too much.

Looks like I'm good to go!

That is what I'd do. My sleeping platform is an easy grab that will spread my weight across at least 4 cross members.

Boort
__________________
-- 1997 Tacoma v6 Std Cab
-- 2006 4Runner v8
Boort is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:56 PM #25
SherpaEquipmentCo's Avatar
SherpaEquipmentCo SherpaEquipmentCo is offline
official vendor
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 123
SherpaEquipmentCo has a spectacular aura about SherpaEquipmentCo has a spectacular aura about SherpaEquipmentCo has a spectacular aura about
SherpaEquipmentCo SherpaEquipmentCo is offline
official vendor
SherpaEquipmentCo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 123
SherpaEquipmentCo has a spectacular aura about SherpaEquipmentCo has a spectacular aura about SherpaEquipmentCo has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boort View Post
You'd want to distribute the load across multiple cross members. I would not be really concerned about the cross members carrying the weight. Some back of the napkin calculations: The cross member profiles are 1x2" extruded aluminum about 47" long (on my 4th gen) If you weigh 200 lbs and stand in the center of the member it would be expected to deflect a bit more than 1/3" down. (not accounting for any deflection of the side panels that are supporting the ends.)

Each cross member is connected by 2 Stainless Steel 1/4x20 bolts at each end. The shoulder of the profile would take out much of the leverage by the 1/3" deflection caused by the center load. So your 200 lbs on just one member would be focused primarily on the shank and heads of these bolts. Looking up a grade 5 1/4x20 bolt would report a clamping force of 1117lbs over a clamping area of 0.0318 Sq Inches. 200lbs spread evenly across the 4 bolts works out to each bolt supporting ~50lbs + 1/4 the 1 lb weight of the cross member itself.

The next item down is the mounting points on you're 4Runner's roof which I don't have specific details for other than the original rack's load rating of 150 lbs. But that was likely due to all of the fiberglass/GRP in the stock rack rather than the mounting point failure load.

TLDR: you probably don't want to focus all of your weight on just 1 or 2 cross members but otherwise I think the Sherpa rack can take the point load of a 200lb person standing on top.

The Owners and Engineers from @SherpaEquipmentCo are members here and could weigh in with more technical details or point out where my calculations are wrong.

Boort
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambient View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking I'll have to put down a piece of plywood anyway, so the tripod has something to rest on and I can move around without worrying about my feet too much.

Looks like I'm good to go!
Boort you really broke this down quite well!

Through real-world experience, you can stand on just one cross-member. It will absolutely deflect though. I will say if you are planning on taking pictures you'll want to be comfortable and standing on just one bar is not at all comfortable. Building yourself a platform or purchasing a couple of our Adapt plates or similar style plates that bridge the crossbars and make a platform would be ideal. Youll be able to then put a camping chair or chair of your choosing up there, place your tripod and hang out in comfort! While at King of the Hammers I stood on my adapt plate often taking pictures with my long lens!

__________________

Sherpa Equipment Co. is dedicated to providing equipment that makes securing gear the least of your worries.
Our Website Our Instagram Our Facebook
SherpaEquipmentCo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:37 PM #26
Ambient Ambient is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Vermont
Posts: 8
Ambient is on a distinguished road
Ambient Ambient is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Vermont
Posts: 8
Ambient is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the help!
Ambient is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
appreciated , im , opinions , rack , roof

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roof cargo box on stock roof rack hits rear hatch when opened NathanOfSeattle 3rd gen T4Rs 8 04-20-2020 02:44 PM
2019/2020 Pro Roof Rack To SR5/Off-road Roof Rack LRT 5th gen T4Rs 18 02-14-2020 04:48 PM
Wanna trade my roof rack for your roof rack covers? Qyota 3rd gen T4Rs 10 05-07-2013 10:23 PM
will a fj cruiser roof rack fit an older 4runner? or any newer style roof racks? jetfire Classic T4Rs 1 07-22-2012 01:27 PM
TRADE: Silver roof rack for Black roof rack. trijicon Classifieds - buy & sell (no commercial ads please) 0 04-19-2006 02:38 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020