User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2020, 11:46 PM #61
joshik joshik is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Age: 40
Posts: 164
joshik is on a distinguished road
joshik joshik is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Age: 40
Posts: 164
joshik is on a distinguished road
Man looks like everyone is having issues with this boot. So weird thing, I know I posted the pic of it seated properly after 2nd washer and a drive around the block. Everything looked great. However, just the other day I lifted my front end check my brakes and after I dropped it, it was back to the "not-as-bad-with-1-washer" mode but not fully seated. I drove around and it's the same. I drove from San Diego to Sacramento for work and I'll have to go out to check to see if it's seated better... but yeh, it totally seated fine as the pic showed.

I wonder if there is another 3rd party boot we could use? If this is a GM ball joint, could we use a GM ball joint boot?
__________________
2003 4Runner Limited 4wd V8. JBA UCA, Bilstein 6112 & 5160. Icon 2" springs. Cooper AT3 275/70R17

91 Ext Cab 4x4 Yota, black with 4" front IFS trailmaster lift, 3" Downey rear springs, Downey Rubicon extended shackles, and 2" body lift. 35" BFG M/T w/ 4.56. Centerforce II clutch, Rancho 5000s all around and Rancho traction bar, K&N Air filter, Flowmaster, ARB Rear Diff Air Locker, Custom "Mad Eyes" light covers, Extended Diff Breathers, Hella Vision Plus Headlights. [SOLD]
joshik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:53 AM #62
Drift Monkey's Avatar
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 514
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
Drift Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 514
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshik View Post
Man looks like everyone is having issues with this boot. So weird thing, I know I posted the pic of it seated properly after 2nd washer and a drive around the block. Everything looked great. However, just the other day I lifted my front end check my brakes and after I dropped it, it was back to the "not-as-bad-with-1-washer" mode but not fully seated. I drove around and it's the same. I drove from San Diego to Sacramento for work and I'll have to go out to check to see if it's seated better... but yeh, it totally seated fine as the pic showed.

I wonder if there is another 3rd party boot we could use? If this is a GM ball joint, could we use a GM ball joint boot?
Yeah it's weird, mine is better with the second washer, but it never has seated...
__________________
2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8 4WD
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:28 AM #63
adkfinn's Avatar
adkfinn adkfinn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Central VT
Posts: 256
adkfinn will become famous soon enough
adkfinn adkfinn is offline
Member
adkfinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Central VT
Posts: 256
adkfinn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshik View Post
I wonder if there is another 3rd party boot we could use? If this is a GM ball joint, could we use a GM ball joint boot?
This is not a GM ball joint. This is the JBA in-house high articulation ball joint. If you want to replace it with the GM/Moog part you'll be unbolting the current one from the arm and replacing the entire ball-joint assembly I am pretty sure. I wish the boot actually sealed the JBA unit, from appearances it is a stout part and looks like it would last a long time if you could actually seal/protect it. That said - I have been running mine with the single washer for the past couple of years on my daily through all the salt and mud in New England and I haven't had any issues. The only thing I've done is grease the piss out of them.
__________________
2007 4Runner with some crap on it. Nice crap.
adkfinn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:25 PM #64
Drift Monkey's Avatar
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 514
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
Drift Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 514
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkfinn View Post
This is not a GM ball joint. This is the JBA in-house high articulation ball joint. If you want to replace it with the GM/Moog part you'll be unbolting the current one from the arm and replacing the entire ball-joint assembly I am pretty sure. I wish the boot actually sealed the JBA unit, from appearances it is a stout part and looks like it would last a long time if you could actually seal/protect it. That said - I have been running mine with the single washer for the past couple of years on my daily through all the salt and mud in New England and I haven't had any issues. The only thing I've done is grease the piss out of them.
It actually is a GM 3/4 ton ball joint, they don't use a special in house solution, which is another reason why people like them.

From JBA's site -

JBA Ball Joint replaces:

AC/Delco #45D0062

Raybestos #500-1062

Moog #K6292

GM 3/4 ton truck ball joint
__________________
2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8 4WD
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:36 PM #65
Shiftless Joe's Avatar
Shiftless Joe Shiftless Joe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 115
Shiftless Joe is on a distinguished road
Shiftless Joe Shiftless Joe is offline
Member
Shiftless Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 115
Shiftless Joe is on a distinguished road
@ Drift Monkey: No extra washer, I haven't heard of this on the Tundra forum so I figured I would throw it together as shipped.
__________________

Last edited by Shiftless Joe; 04-22-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Shiftless Joe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:37 PM #66
Drift Monkey's Avatar
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 514
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
Drift Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 514
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftless Joe View Post
@ Drift Monkey: No extra washer, I haven't heard of this on the Tundra forum so I figured I would throw it together as shipped.
Wouldn't hurt to try 'em if you're so inclined.
__________________
2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8 4WD
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:29 PM #67
Bernardchan96 Bernardchan96 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Markham, Ontario
Posts: 180
Real Name: Bernard Chan
Bernardchan96 is on a distinguished road
Bernardchan96 Bernardchan96 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Markham, Ontario
Posts: 180
Real Name: Bernard Chan
Bernardchan96 is on a distinguished road
So i wonder whats going on, i need some new UCA and i was gonna pull the trigger on the JBA but dont wanna deal with a boot not seating correctly only for them to redesign one later in a couple months. Should i message Marlin before purchasing and clarifying >?
__________________
2005 4R LIMITED V8
FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W&TRD RIMS/BILSTEIN 5100&FJ COILS/VOLANT CAI
Bernardchan96 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:07 PM #68
Drift Monkey's Avatar
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 514
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
Drift Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 514
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernardchan96 View Post
So i wonder whats going on, i need some new UCA and i was gonna pull the trigger on the JBA but dont wanna deal with a boot not seating correctly only for them to redesign one later in a couple months. Should i message Marlin before purchasing and clarifying >?
Do it, he didn't even mention a boot redesign to me.

Maybe ask him if he'll ship the new boots under warranty after the fact.
__________________
2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8 4WD
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:09 AM #69
Bernardchan96 Bernardchan96 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Markham, Ontario
Posts: 180
Real Name: Bernard Chan
Bernardchan96 is on a distinguished road
Bernardchan96 Bernardchan96 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Markham, Ontario
Posts: 180
Real Name: Bernard Chan
Bernardchan96 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Monkey View Post
Do it, he didn't even mention a boot redesign to me.

Maybe ask him if he'll ship the new boots under warranty after the fact.
Yeah im gonna email and ask if they can throw in the washers and mention the boot not fitting right. I dont see another Uca im looking at
__________________
2005 4R LIMITED V8
FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W&TRD RIMS/BILSTEIN 5100&FJ COILS/VOLANT CAI
Bernardchan96 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:38 AM #70
adkfinn's Avatar
adkfinn adkfinn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Central VT
Posts: 256
adkfinn will become famous soon enough
adkfinn adkfinn is offline
Member
adkfinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Central VT
Posts: 256
adkfinn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Monkey View Post
It actually is a GM 3/4 ton ball joint, they don't use a special in house solution, which is another reason why people like them.

From JBA's site -

JBA Ball Joint replaces:

AC/Delco #45D0062

Raybestos #500-1062

Moog #K6292

GM 3/4 ton truck ball joint
That info was correct at one point. JBA now uses their own ball joint, which is the one that has the iffy boot we are all talking about.

I believe Marlin is trying to indicate that his joint is compatible with those other parts/fitments. These arms used to be offered with the Moog joint, before they developed their own in-house design with higher articulation, there were even pics comparing Uniball, Moog/standard, and then the new JBA part when it first launched, not sure where they went now. Rest assured, the part on your truck is unique to JBA.
__________________
2007 4Runner with some crap on it. Nice crap.

Last edited by adkfinn; 04-24-2020 at 11:41 AM.
adkfinn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:00 PM #71
doofenshmirtz doofenshmirtz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 222
doofenshmirtz has a spectacular aura about doofenshmirtz has a spectacular aura about
doofenshmirtz doofenshmirtz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 222
doofenshmirtz has a spectacular aura about doofenshmirtz has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkfinn View Post
That info was correct at one point. JBA now uses their own ball joint, which is the one that has the iffy boot we are all talking about.

I believe Marlin is trying to indicate that his joint is compatible with those other parts/fitments. These arms used to be offered with the Moog joint, before they developed their own in-house design with higher articulation, there were even pics comparing Uniball, Moog/standard, and then the new JBA part when it first launched, not sure where they went now. Rest assured, the part on your truck is unique to JBA.
Yeah, for ultimate clarity: Their ball joint is compatible with 3/4 ton GM, but it is not an off-the-shelf GM 3/4 ton. It appears these are machined in house or at least designed in house. This has been the case for quite a while. I got my JBAs at least 2 years ago and have the JBA-made joint, but mine arms are painted instead of cerakote. I also have an ill-fitting boot fwiw.

You could buy a JBA ball joint and put it on your 3/4 ton GM truck, and you can buy a 3/4 ton GM compatible ball joint to put on your JBA UCA as a trail fix, etc.

It appears that they also use this same boot and joint on all their UCAs, which may be the reason for the slightly imperfect boot fit. The thickness of the knuckle mount may be different between Tundras, Tacomas, Wranglers, etc.. Our 4Runners look to be slightly beyond the tolerances for just one set of washers.
doofenshmirtz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:22 PM #72
Drift Monkey's Avatar
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 514
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
Drift Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 514
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by doofenshmirtz
Our 4Runners look to be slightly beyond the tolerances for just one set of washers.
It looks beyond the tolerances for 2 sets of washers lol.
__________________
2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8 4WD
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:30 PM #73
Bernardchan96 Bernardchan96 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Markham, Ontario
Posts: 180
Real Name: Bernard Chan
Bernardchan96 is on a distinguished road
Bernardchan96 Bernardchan96 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Markham, Ontario
Posts: 180
Real Name: Bernard Chan
Bernardchan96 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Monkey View Post
It looks beyond the tolerances for 2 sets of washers lol.
Yeah Marlin said they are throwing in an extra set of washers for each order now, im looking to lift around 2.5-3" in the near future so i hope its something that can be resolved. I dont wanna go from my leaking balljoint on OEM uca to leaking ball joints on aftermarket lol
__________________
2005 4R LIMITED V8
FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W&TRD RIMS/BILSTEIN 5100&FJ COILS/VOLANT CAI
Bernardchan96 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:19 PM #74
hetzler_l33's Avatar
hetzler_l33 hetzler_l33 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: AL
Posts: 24
hetzler_l33 is on a distinguished road
hetzler_l33 hetzler_l33 is offline
Junior Member
hetzler_l33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: AL
Posts: 24
hetzler_l33 is on a distinguished road
Just installed my JBA uppers tonight and they came with 2 washers per ball joint. The boot might not fully seat when you first torque the ball joint nut but once you take a test drive, itíll pop in place. It was a lot easier than I thought itíd be to install.

The only fitment issue is the knuckle has a spur near the top that sticks out towards the tire and itís close to the tire. It may be 1/2Ē or 3/4Ē between it and the tire sidewall. No contact though so no problem
hetzler_l33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:09 AM #75
Drift Monkey's Avatar
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 514
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
Drift Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 514
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetzler_l33 View Post
Just installed my JBA uppers tonight and they came with 2 washers per ball joint. The boot might not fully seat when you first torque the ball joint nut but once you take a test drive, itíll pop in place. It was a lot easier than I thought itíd be to install.

The only fitment issue is the knuckle has a spur near the top that sticks out towards the tire and itís close to the tire. It may be 1/2Ē or 3/4Ē between it and the tire sidewall. No contact though so no problem
Mine did not pop into place.
__________________
2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8 4WD
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
abs , bracket , install , line , uca

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Those thinking about a Daystar lift with XREAS - My thoughts and install experience Runn4est 5th gen T4Rs 97 05-20-2020 05:02 PM
Post Suspension install question WEAK_E90 5th gen T4Rs 6 05-13-2019 01:02 PM
Post suspension upgrade thoughts... tenguns 4th Gen T4Rs 3 01-26-2018 10:41 PM
post lift install JPWendtinc 4th Gen T4Rs 6 07-28-2011 11:27 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020