User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2020, 01:30 PM #1
atalarico's Avatar
atalarico atalarico is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,420
atalarico will become famous soon enough
atalarico atalarico is offline
Senior Member
atalarico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,420
atalarico will become famous soon enough
Spare wheel question

Hey all,

I have some SCS Ray10s on my 4th Gen with some 285/70 Duratracs, and I'm looking for a cheap spare wheel that would be close in terms of backspacing and sizing so I don't have to do any juggling with mounting the OEM sport spare I have.

The SCS Ray10s I have are:

17x8.5 - BS 4.3" - Offset -10mm

I was looking at these cheap steelies Pro Comp 97 Series Rock Crawler, 17x8 Wheel with 6 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern - Gloss Black - 97-7883 | 4wheelparts.com but their specs aren't the exact same.

They are: 17x8 - BS 4.25" - Offset -6mm

Is that going to make a difference with anything if we're just talking a spare tire situation to get me back to civilization? I'll be mounting a used 32" tire, and I know you want an exact match for a full-time AWD vehicle, but...I don't think an inch will make a difference. The one I have under there now is a very worn and deflated (I have onboard air) 33" BFG All Terrain, but it rubs. I figured getting a used 275/70 is already over 32" anyway, and the duratracs are slightly under 33", so it won't be that drastic.
__________________
2004 Sport Edition V8. 3" OME lift. 5th Gen Brakes. 285/70 Duratracs. JBA UCAs. SCS Ray10s. DT Headers.

1997 4-Runner Limited w/ factory locker. Totaled in February 2018. Still miss it.
atalarico is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:45 PM #2
L8Shift's Avatar
L8Shift L8Shift is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: NoVa / DC / Shenandoah Valley / GWNF
Posts: 268
L8Shift will become famous soon enough
L8Shift L8Shift is offline
Member
L8Shift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: NoVa / DC / Shenandoah Valley / GWNF
Posts: 268
L8Shift will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by atalarico View Post
Is that going to make a difference with anything if we're just talking a spare tire situation to get me back to civilization?
I have a 255/75-17 Wrangler on a stock Toyota wheel as a spare for my 285/70-17 Nitto's under my V8 T4R. Less than 1/2" difference in diameter, I am not hitting the panhard bar.

Air down the other 3 tires to compensate for the diameter difference when the spare is in use.
__________________

2006 T4R Limited V8, 150k, Toytec Bilstein, SPC UCAs, StopTech/Centric/Akebono Brakes, Methods/Ridge Grappler 285/70-17, Gibson exh., RCI Skid....
1997 FZJ80 OME 2.5", Kumho AT51s, Slee Step Sliders
2006 Tacoma Pre-Runner Dble Cab Trd#2 Sport
L8Shift is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:48 PM #3
atalarico's Avatar
atalarico atalarico is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,420
atalarico will become famous soon enough
atalarico atalarico is offline
Senior Member
atalarico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,420
atalarico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Shift View Post
I have a 255/75-17 Wrangler as a spare for my 285/70-17 Nitto's under my V8 T4R. Less than 1/2" difference in diameter, I am not hitting the panhard bar.

Air down the other 3 tires to compensate for the diameter difference when the spare is in use.
Clever! What rim are you using for it? I'm hoping that cheap steelie I found is good to go with the dimension being close, but not exactly the same. Just not sure how much a few millimeters difference in offset will make.

I'll expand my search to 255/75's now.
__________________
2004 Sport Edition V8. 3" OME lift. 5th Gen Brakes. 285/70 Duratracs. JBA UCAs. SCS Ray10s. DT Headers.

1997 4-Runner Limited w/ factory locker. Totaled in February 2018. Still miss it.
atalarico is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:34 PM #4
L8Shift's Avatar
L8Shift L8Shift is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: NoVa / DC / Shenandoah Valley / GWNF
Posts: 268
L8Shift will become famous soon enough
L8Shift L8Shift is offline
Member
L8Shift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: NoVa / DC / Shenandoah Valley / GWNF
Posts: 268
L8Shift will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by atalarico View Post
Clever! What rim are you using for it? I'm hoping that cheap steelie I found is good to go with the dimension being close, but not exactly the same. Just not sure how much a few millimeters difference in offset will make.

I'll expand my search to 255/75's now.
Find yourself a Tacoma alloy (plenty around), steelies use a different lug nut.

Offset would be more to keep a wide tire from hitting suspension components. The 255 skinny (not really a skinny) is narrow enough that a 'narrow' OEM alloy would match up perfect to.. in my opinion..

BTW 255/75-17 is a typical OEM Jeep size tire... plenty at the used tire shop, go figure...
__________________

2006 T4R Limited V8, 150k, Toytec Bilstein, SPC UCAs, StopTech/Centric/Akebono Brakes, Methods/Ridge Grappler 285/70-17, Gibson exh., RCI Skid....
1997 FZJ80 OME 2.5", Kumho AT51s, Slee Step Sliders
2006 Tacoma Pre-Runner Dble Cab Trd#2 Sport
L8Shift is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:56 PM #5
Drift Monkey's Avatar
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 524
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
Drift Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 524
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
The V8s have even less room underneath due to the bigger tow hitch, be aware.
__________________
2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8 4WD
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:28 PM #6
atalarico's Avatar
atalarico atalarico is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,420
atalarico will become famous soon enough
atalarico atalarico is offline
Senior Member
atalarico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,420
atalarico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Monkey View Post
The V8s have even less room underneath due to the bigger tow hitch, be aware.
Yep, and I have the towing package. But as noted in the original post, I already have a 285/70r17 BFG All Terrain under there, but it's deflated and very worn. It fits, but it still rubs the panhard juuust ever so slightly.

I'm more interested in making sure the wheel size with the off set and such is going to work.
__________________
2004 Sport Edition V8. 3" OME lift. 5th Gen Brakes. 285/70 Duratracs. JBA UCAs. SCS Ray10s. DT Headers.

1997 4-Runner Limited w/ factory locker. Totaled in February 2018. Still miss it.
atalarico is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:06 PM #7
Bumbo's Avatar
Bumbo Bumbo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 3,279
Bumbo is a splendid one to behold Bumbo is a splendid one to behold Bumbo is a splendid one to behold Bumbo is a splendid one to behold Bumbo is a splendid one to behold Bumbo is a splendid one to behold Bumbo is a splendid one to behold
Bumbo Bumbo is offline
Senior Member
Bumbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 3,279
Bumbo is a splendid one to behold Bumbo is a splendid one to behold Bumbo is a splendid one to behold Bumbo is a splendid one to behold Bumbo is a splendid one to behold Bumbo is a splendid one to behold Bumbo is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Monkey View Post
The V8s have even less room underneath due to the bigger tow hitch, be aware.
The joys of having a V8. I can understand the struggle, I have less room in my pants due to a bigger... flashlight.
Bumbo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:53 PM #8
Drift Monkey's Avatar
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 524
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
Drift Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 524
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by atalarico View Post
Yep, and I have the towing package. But as noted in the original post, I already have a 285/70r17 BFG All Terrain under there, but it's deflated and very worn. It fits, but it still rubs the panhard juuust ever so slightly.

I'm more interested in making sure the wheel size with the off set and such is going to work.
Should fit I'd think if you use that same worn out 285. I'm sitting on 295/70R17 so no chance for me...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbo View Post
The joys of having a V8. I can understand the struggle, I have less room in my pants due to a bigger... flashlight.
Our ...flashlights... are just too damn BIG!
__________________
2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8 4WD
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:39 PM #9
Bmills Bmills is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7
Bmills is on a distinguished road
Bmills Bmills is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7
Bmills is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Shift View Post
Find yourself a Tacoma alloy (plenty around), steelies use a different lug nut.
This has all been great information as I just installed SCS SR8 wheels on my V8. I ordered the SCS wheels with new lugnuts provided by them but I have a quick question. For the standard spare that comes with the truck, would I be able to just install is "as-is" or do I need to get a different wheel/tire combo than the standard spare? Totally cool if I have to order a cheap wheel/tire combo to limp me along to get the tire fixed, just want to make sure that I even can do that with the standard spare and it will mount up without issue. Pretty new to this and this thread was super timely! Thanks.
__________________
Galactic Gray Mica 2007 Limited 4WD (bought 2020-04-16)
- Stealth Custom Series SR8 with 265/65r17 Goodyear All-Terrain Adventure (added 2020-05-16)
- AFe Pro-Dry Filter (added 2020-05-16)
- Sony XAV-210SM (added 2020-04-30)
Bmills is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:15 PM #10
atalarico's Avatar
atalarico atalarico is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,420
atalarico will become famous soon enough
atalarico atalarico is offline
Senior Member
atalarico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,420
atalarico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmills View Post
This has all been great information as I just installed SCS SR8 wheels on my V8. I ordered the SCS wheels with new lugnuts provided by them but I have a quick question. For the standard spare that comes with the truck, would I be able to just install is "as-is" or do I need to get a different wheel/tire combo than the standard spare? Totally cool if I have to order a cheap wheel/tire combo to limp me along to get the tire fixed, just want to make sure that I even can do that with the standard spare and it will mount up without issue. Pretty new to this and this thread was super timely! Thanks.
I'm not really sure!

I was thinking I could get that cheap steelie with the good offset and backspacing, but as someone said above the lugs wouldn't work for it or something. But couldn't I just get a set of lugs that would work and keep them in the glove box in case?

If not that, then can I get one of the better backspaced and offset OEM wheels like the 4Runner TRD off-road stock ones? I feel like the only way to make that work would be getting a skinny like a 255/75-17. I think maybe that's what was being suggested, but I'm not clear on that.
__________________
2004 Sport Edition V8. 3" OME lift. 5th Gen Brakes. 285/70 Duratracs. JBA UCAs. SCS Ray10s. DT Headers.

1997 4-Runner Limited w/ factory locker. Totaled in February 2018. Still miss it.
atalarico is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:21 PM #11
Drift Monkey's Avatar
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 524
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
Drift Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 524
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by atalarico View Post
I'm not really sure!

I was thinking I could get that cheap steelie with the good offset and backspacing, but as someone said above the lugs wouldn't work for it or something. But couldn't I just get a set of lugs that would work and keep them in the glove box in case?

If not that, then can I get one of the better backspaced and offset OEM wheels like the 4Runner TRD off-road stock ones? I feel like the only way to make that work would be getting a skinny like a 255/75-17. I think maybe that's what was being suggested, but I'm not clear on that.
As long as the little metal tab goes thru the hub hole you'll be fine, otherwise you'll need another wheel. I'd stick to a worn down 285 to keep the AWD system happy.
__________________
2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8 4WD
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:37 PM #12
atalarico's Avatar
atalarico atalarico is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,420
atalarico will become famous soon enough
atalarico atalarico is offline
Senior Member
atalarico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,420
atalarico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Monkey View Post
As long as the little metal tab goes thru the hub hole you'll be fine, otherwise you'll need another wheel. I'd stick to a worn down 285 to keep the AWD system happy.
Ok, so I can get something like this steelie rim (here) and just get a separate set of lugs that work with it?

I'm probably still going to go down an inch tire size so I can keep it inflated and clear the panhard bar, and then just air down the other three tires to match the size a little closer. 285/70s are usually less than 33" in diameter when measured new, and 275/70 are going to be over 32" by a bit, so the difference shouldn't be huge once aired down a bit. Plus, it's not like this is something I'm going to be driving on more than necessary to get home and get a new matching tire, etc.

But maybe I'm wrong, so I'm open to advice.
__________________
2004 Sport Edition V8. 3" OME lift. 5th Gen Brakes. 285/70 Duratracs. JBA UCAs. SCS Ray10s. DT Headers.

1997 4-Runner Limited w/ factory locker. Totaled in February 2018. Still miss it.
atalarico is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:36 PM #13
Drift Monkey's Avatar
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 524
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
Drift Monkey Drift Monkey is offline
Member
Drift Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 524
Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough Drift Monkey is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by atalarico View Post
Ok, so I can get something like this steelie rim (here) and just get a separate set of lugs that work with it?

I'm probably still going to go down an inch tire size so I can keep it inflated and clear the panhard bar, and then just air down the other three tires to match the size a little closer. 285/70s are usually less than 33" in diameter when measured new, and 275/70 are going to be over 32" by a bit, so the difference shouldn't be huge once aired down a bit. Plus, it's not like this is something I'm going to be driving on more than necessary to get home and get a new matching tire, etc.

But maybe I'm wrong, so I'm open to advice.
Slightly smaller will work in a pinch. If those steelies have a removable cap that can fit the stock metal tab through, they should work.
__________________
2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8 4WD
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:14 PM #14
L8Shift's Avatar
L8Shift L8Shift is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: NoVa / DC / Shenandoah Valley / GWNF
Posts: 268
L8Shift will become famous soon enough
L8Shift L8Shift is offline
Member
L8Shift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: NoVa / DC / Shenandoah Valley / GWNF
Posts: 268
L8Shift will become famous soon enough
In an attempt to keep folks wheels bolted on, I assembled various images from the web concerning Lug nut seat types for alloy and steel wheels.

I use ET tuner type lugs for my Method alloys. I carry a set of Toyota alloy wheel lugs for use with my OEM Toyota Alloy spare.

.....and of course check the torque on your lug nuts.
Torque for steel vs. alloy wheel are quite different.


Attached Images
Spare wheel question-lug-nut-example-jpg 
__________________

2006 T4R Limited V8, 150k, Toytec Bilstein, SPC UCAs, StopTech/Centric/Akebono Brakes, Methods/Ridge Grappler 285/70-17, Gibson exh., RCI Skid....
1997 FZJ80 OME 2.5", Kumho AT51s, Slee Step Sliders
2006 Tacoma Pre-Runner Dble Cab Trd#2 Sport
L8Shift is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:35 PM #15
AuSeeker AuSeeker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bluffton S.C.
Posts: 3,123
Real Name: Skip
AuSeeker is a splendid one to behold AuSeeker is a splendid one to behold AuSeeker is a splendid one to behold AuSeeker is a splendid one to behold AuSeeker is a splendid one to behold AuSeeker is a splendid one to behold AuSeeker is a splendid one to behold
AuSeeker AuSeeker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bluffton S.C.
Posts: 3,123
Real Name: Skip
AuSeeker is a splendid one to behold AuSeeker is a splendid one to behold AuSeeker is a splendid one to behold AuSeeker is a splendid one to behold AuSeeker is a splendid one to behold AuSeeker is a splendid one to behold AuSeeker is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Shift View Post
In an attempt to keep folks wheels bolted on, I assembled various images from the web concerning Lug nut seat types for alloy and steel wheels.

I use ET tuner type lugs for my Method alloys. I carry a set of Toyota alloy wheel lugs for use with my OEM Toyota Alloy spare.

.....and of course check the torque on your lug nuts.
Torque for steel vs. alloy wheel are quite different.


You mention that there are different torque values for steel and alloy wheels but you didn't mention those torque values for those that could use that info!
__________________
2004 Limited V8
AuSeeker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
exact , make , mounting , spare , wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spare tire/wheel question for those with aftermarket wheels... momo.75 4th Gen T4Rs 27 04-30-2012 07:33 PM
newbie's question: spare wheel as regular without rotation, screw at edge of tire chee 4th Gen T4Rs 11 05-15-2011 10:52 PM
Spare Wheel?? danny4runner 4th Gen T4Rs 3 08-06-2009 12:07 AM
I need a spare wheel. jbirdalso 4th Gen T4Rs 1 03-19-2008 03:31 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020