User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2020, 02:01 AM #1
benztech82's Avatar
benztech82 benztech82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 227
benztech82 will become famous soon enough
benztech82 benztech82 is offline
Member
benztech82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 227
benztech82 will become famous soon enough
Need help to build custom exhaust.

Hey fellows,

I want to change my exhaust muffler, again. Right now i have flowmaster super 50suv and i dont like it cause I lost mid and top end acceleration. I want to use dynomax xflow 2.25 dual in and out for gas scavenging and ideally it should be routed all the way to the back to lower the noise. So now my dilemma is that i dont know if i should run true dual pipe to the back after muffler or if i can get away with adapter 2 in to 1 but maybe 4 inch to keep the flow volume high.

If any of you tried any of mentioned configurations or maybe we have a tech specialist in exhaust pipes, i would really appreciate your input.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
benztech82 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:24 AM #2
Inv4drZm's Avatar
Inv4drZm Inv4drZm is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas
Age: 25
Posts: 3,674
Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of
Inv4drZm Inv4drZm is offline
Senior Member
Inv4drZm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas
Age: 25
Posts: 3,674
Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by benztech82 View Post
Hey fellows,

I want to change my exhaust muffler, again. Right now i have flowmaster super 50suv and i dont like it cause I lost mid and top end acceleration. I want to use dynomax xflow 2.25 dual in and out for gas scavenging and ideally it should be routed all the way to the back to lower the noise. So now my dilemma is that i dont know if i should run true dual pipe to the back after muffler or if i can get away with adapter 2 in to 1 but maybe 4 inch to keep the flow volume high.

If any of you tried any of mentioned configurations or maybe we have a tech specialist in exhaust pipes, i would really appreciate your input.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
I don't think there is any way you'll be able to route a 4" tube over the axle, and 4" is waaay too big. 4" is probably triple the area of a 2" tube (the math is easy I'm just lazy).

Volume is important, but what you should really care about is velocity.

If I were to design a good top-end system, you would want it to look something like this. This is what I built.

All 2.5" tubing with an x pipe shortly after the headers to help pull the opposite side's gases out. Equal length between the headers and x pipe to help separate the exhaust pulses. 2 straight-through magnaflow mufflers and a dump before the axle.

If you wanted yours routed to the back bumper area, I would just go single tube. Dual 2.5" tube is probably possible to fit, but not sure its worth the headache in this situation. If you wanted some hp gains, I would build or buy a better Y pipe using a less restrictive merge, then mate it to a straight-through muffler, then adapt it to use your stock tailpipe section. I did this before my current setup and it sounded nice.

__________________
2005 4R Sport 4WD "The last of the V8s!" - Custom TIG'd SS Dual Exhaust - King 2.5" +2 LT. - ARB Front & Rear - SCS SR8's - 37's - Dana 60 - Build Thread
2005 Tundra 2WD RCSB V8
Inv4drZm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:52 PM #3
benztech82's Avatar
benztech82 benztech82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 227
benztech82 will become famous soon enough
benztech82 benztech82 is offline
Member
benztech82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 227
benztech82 will become famous soon enough
Your setup looks flawless our pipes are 2.25 though, isn't it ? Also is this setup "wife loud" ? I understand that straight through design is always louder but maybe if I would use larger muffler and 2.25 in out it would make it more tolerable ?

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
benztech82 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:10 PM #4
Inv4drZm's Avatar
Inv4drZm Inv4drZm is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas
Age: 25
Posts: 3,674
Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of
Inv4drZm Inv4drZm is offline
Senior Member
Inv4drZm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas
Age: 25
Posts: 3,674
Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by benztech82 View Post
Your setup looks flawless our pipes are 2.25 though, isn't it ? Also is this setup "wife loud" ? I understand that straight through design is always louder but maybe if I would use larger muffler and 2.25 in out it would make it more tolerable ?

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
Our pipes are 60mm which is basically 2-3/8".

My dual system without cats is pretty loud, but the single straight-through 18" muffler with 2 cats is moderate, and if you have all 4 cats and used a longer single muffler then it should be pretty mild.
__________________
2005 4R Sport 4WD "The last of the V8s!" - Custom TIG'd SS Dual Exhaust - King 2.5" +2 LT. - ARB Front & Rear - SCS SR8's - 37's - Dana 60 - Build Thread
2005 Tundra 2WD RCSB V8
Inv4drZm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:29 PM #5
benztech82's Avatar
benztech82 benztech82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 227
benztech82 will become famous soon enough
benztech82 benztech82 is offline
Member
benztech82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 227
benztech82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inv4drZm View Post
Our pipes are 60mm which is basically 2-3/8".



My dual system without cats is pretty loud, but the single straight-through 18" muffler with 2 cats is moderate, and if you have all 4 cats and used a longer single muffler then it should be pretty mild.
My first setup was 4 cats, and 2 straight flow extra long hot rod glass packs and it sounded like a jet plane to my wife and it got too me too after 6 month. But truck pulled amazing with proper fuel mapping.


Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
benztech82 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:35 PM #6
benztech82's Avatar
benztech82 benztech82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 227
benztech82 will become famous soon enough
benztech82 benztech82 is offline
Member
benztech82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 227
benztech82 will become famous soon enough
I'm keeping all 4 cats, so just x pipe and single muffler, dual inlet/outlet and dumps before the axle i guess. Or true dual like yours with maybe larger "cans" to cut the noise as much as possible

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
benztech82 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:49 AM #7
Direwolf82 Direwolf82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Highland Springs
Posts: 83
Direwolf82 is on a distinguished road
Direwolf82 Direwolf82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Highland Springs
Posts: 83
Direwolf82 is on a distinguished road
4" would be completely overkill, and not the good kind of overkill but the impossibly large headache kind.
My old 800hp Camaro was running through 3" exhaust, putting down 10 second quarter mile passes with no breathing issues. I'm betting our trucks can breathe just fine through 2" pipe if absolutely needed, I would not do that or recommend it but I have a feeling it would work out.
Move to 2.5" single, easier to build the system and cheaper on material. Build it in stainless and enjoy for years to come. At least that's what I'd probably do.
Also agree with whoever mentioned it earlier, make a new crossover pipe. The stock one does look pretty crappy and probably isn't helping anything over 2500rpm.
Direwolf82 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:13 AM #8
benztech82's Avatar
benztech82 benztech82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 227
benztech82 will become famous soon enough
benztech82 benztech82 is offline
Member
benztech82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 227
benztech82 will become famous soon enough
I was doing some research and right now i'm thinking of using magnaflow x pipe then cherry bomb vortex dual 2.5 in, single 3in out to the side rear bumper.
Vortex design seems like the quietest of all straight through mufflers.

I agree 4" is overkill.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
benztech82 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:37 AM #9
Inv4drZm's Avatar
Inv4drZm Inv4drZm is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas
Age: 25
Posts: 3,674
Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of
Inv4drZm Inv4drZm is offline
Senior Member
Inv4drZm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas
Age: 25
Posts: 3,674
Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by benztech82 View Post
I was doing some research and right now i'm thinking of using magnaflow x pipe then cherry bomb vortex dual 2.5 in, single 3in out to the side rear bumper.
Vortex design seems like the quietest of all straight through mufflers.

I agree 4" is overkill.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
I would still say 3" is overkill. Like I mentioned you want velocity, and when exhaust gases cool down near the tailpipe, they lose velocity. Reducing tube diameter helps keep the velocity up.
__________________
2005 4R Sport 4WD "The last of the V8s!" - Custom TIG'd SS Dual Exhaust - King 2.5" +2 LT. - ARB Front & Rear - SCS SR8's - 37's - Dana 60 - Build Thread
2005 Tundra 2WD RCSB V8
Inv4drZm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:53 PM #10
Direwolf82 Direwolf82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Highland Springs
Posts: 83
Direwolf82 is on a distinguished road
Direwolf82 Direwolf82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Highland Springs
Posts: 83
Direwolf82 is on a distinguished road
Large bore exhaust piping is really best for large displacement, high rpm applications at full throttle. Going to a true dual 2.25 inch system would drastically improve airflow over the stock system and probably be a little easier to bend and snake it in. Saying that I'd put in a 2.5 inch system, well designed should be able to support the 300 horse range no problem.
Direwolf82 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:21 AM #11
benztech82's Avatar
benztech82 benztech82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 227
benztech82 will become famous soon enough
benztech82 benztech82 is offline
Member
benztech82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 227
benztech82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inv4drZm View Post
I would still say 3" is overkill. Like I mentioned you want velocity, and when exhaust gases cool down near the tailpipe, they lose velocity. Reducing tube diameter helps keep the velocity up.
I really appreciate your input on this. Can you explain how does it work, each bank has 2.25 diameter which goes in to single 2.25 pipe, wouldn't that create more of a restriction ? Honestly my logic is telling me that 2.25 x2 jammed in to a single 2.25 pipe should create restriction mid/top rpm.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
benztech82 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:00 PM #12
Inv4drZm's Avatar
Inv4drZm Inv4drZm is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas
Age: 25
Posts: 3,674
Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of
Inv4drZm Inv4drZm is offline
Senior Member
Inv4drZm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas
Age: 25
Posts: 3,674
Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by benztech82 View Post
I really appreciate your input on this. Can you explain how does it work, each bank has 2.25 diameter which goes in to single 2.25 pipe, wouldn't that create more of a restriction ? Honestly my logic is telling me that 2.25 x2 jammed in to a single 2.25 pipe should create restriction mid/top rpm.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
Ideally the pipes would merge into an x, or if it was a single system, a y, shortly after the headers. This is where exhaust is traveling the fastest and pulses are most separated, which is why scavenging is most effective here. In the tailpipe section the exhaust 'evens out'. Pulses join together, temps decrease substantially, velocity slows down, when velocity slows, pressure increases. A larger tube here, if anything, compounds the problem.

You can look up max engine horsepower for exhaust tubing for dual and single systems, and they will tell you a single 2.5" tube is fine up to 250 to 300hp. I believe this is probably near the headers/catback, and not at tailpipe temperatures.

You're more than welcome to try a 3" tailpipe I just think a 2.5" will be easier to route and better in some performance areas.
__________________
2005 4R Sport 4WD "The last of the V8s!" - Custom TIG'd SS Dual Exhaust - King 2.5" +2 LT. - ARB Front & Rear - SCS SR8's - 37's - Dana 60 - Build Thread
2005 Tundra 2WD RCSB V8
Inv4drZm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:37 PM #13
benztech82's Avatar
benztech82 benztech82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 227
benztech82 will become famous soon enough
benztech82 benztech82 is offline
Member
benztech82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 227
benztech82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inv4drZm View Post
Ideally the pipes would merge into an x, or if it was a single system, a y, shortly after the headers. This is where exhaust is traveling the fastest and pulses are most separated, which is why scavenging is most effective here. In the tailpipe section the exhaust 'evens out'. Pulses join together, temps decrease substantially, velocity slows down, when velocity slows, pressure increases. A larger tube here, if anything, compounds the problem.

You can look up max engine horsepower for exhaust tubing for dual and single systems, and they will tell you a single 2.5" tube is fine up to 250 to 300hp. I believe this is probably near the headers/catback, and not at tailpipe temperatures.

You're more than welcome to try a 3" tailpipe I just think a 2.5" will be easier to route and better in some performance areas.
I have measured pipe size between secondary cat and where my Y-pipe used to be and it's original piping that I was measuring. It's 1.9" not even 2.25"
benztech82 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adapter , back , dual , exhaust , muffler

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time to Build Custom Exhaust Inv4drZm 4th Gen T4Rs 24 12-24-2019 10:30 AM
Custom Exhaust putcha 4th Gen T4Rs 5 05-03-2014 12:01 AM
Custom built UCA and Exhaust Mudyrunner 4th Gen T4Rs 5 03-27-2014 04:07 PM
Custom Exhaust TRDSmokedU 4th Gen T4Rs 5 11-18-2011 01:46 AM
3rd Gen custom 304 SS exhaust Highinasr5 3rd gen T4Rs 17 02-16-2011 04:47 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020