User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2021, 07:19 PM #1
phatcheeks's Avatar
phatcheeks phatcheeks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 259
phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about
phatcheeks phatcheeks is offline
Member
phatcheeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 259
phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about
CV axle inner dust shield?

So I bought a used 5th gen OEM CV axle from LKQ on ebay. My plan was to install this one and reboot my original when I have the time. But when I got the 5th gen axle it seems to be missing the dust shield on the inboard side that goes into the diff. Are these meant to be removed? or can I buy them separately. Also the outboard rubber gasket is kind torn and the spindle grooves are rusted.

Im probably going to ask for a refund/return it back. Anyone have luck with refunds from LKQ?
__________________
04 V6 4x4. Eibach Pro Truck Shocks, OME 885, Icon 2" Springs. JBA UCA. 295/70/17 Cooper Evolution MT
phatcheeks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:29 PM #2
phatcheeks's Avatar
phatcheeks phatcheeks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 259
phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about
phatcheeks phatcheeks is offline
Member
phatcheeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 259
phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about


__________________
04 V6 4x4. Eibach Pro Truck Shocks, OME 885, Icon 2" Springs. JBA UCA. 295/70/17 Cooper Evolution MT
phatcheeks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:37 PM #3
bob3dsf's Avatar
bob3dsf bob3dsf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rocky Mount, NC
Age: 46
Posts: 355
Real Name: Bob
bob3dsf is on a distinguished road
bob3dsf bob3dsf is offline
Member
bob3dsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rocky Mount, NC
Age: 46
Posts: 355
Real Name: Bob
bob3dsf is on a distinguished road
I bought re-manufactured CV axles from toyota several years ago, and I kept my originals (rather than returning them for a core refund) so I could re-boot them. They came with the dust shields. Maybe look up the parts diagram and see if the shields are available. I've never returned anything to LKQ, but I've also never bought from them online. I usually go to a nearby salvage lot and pull my own parts. I have an LKQ yard near by. Matter of fact I never thought of pulling a CV axle before (but then the last time I pulled a part I knew a lot less about by rig than I do now). As for the gasket, that part might be replaceable as well. If it's meant to be temporary while you reboot your OEM, it might not really matter.

FYI on the reboot kit. Look into getting a set of "snap on" crimp style clamps. They are open on one side and have locking holes and tab. Basically it's open so you can slip it on, close it up with the locking tab, then crimp it tight.

Like these:
Amazon.com: Nicecnc Stainless Steel Universal Adjustable AXLE CV Joint Boot Crimp Clamp Kit,20PCS(10pcs Small+ 10pcs Large): Automotive

I would get some, or go to your auto parts store and order some of the twisty, spin style. Whichever, just have some extras. In my kit these was 3 crimp style and one kind then you fold it over to clamp and close, then secure it with little locking tabs. That one broke on me and I had to order some replacements. Some store stock some Dorman brand clamps but they were too small. So, know what diameter you need. Its, like, just over 4" for the larger size on our boots.

Re-booting is easy, just messy. A parts washer is something I wish I had, but I managed without it.
__________________
08 SR5 4WD
bob3dsf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:41 PM #4
y=mx+b's Avatar
y=mx+b y=mx+b is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 629
y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold
y=mx+b y=mx+b is offline
Member
y=mx+b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 629
y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold
the pn for the one that fits on the outer CV joint (metal and rubber piece) is 90304-A0001. The inner side dust shield I don't know the pn for, but it is just press fit on there

For LKQ refunds, they sent me an O'reilly axle and I sent them a pic of the pn stamped on the axle and the oreilly page showing it. They refunded that one and I got to keep the axle. Might be different since this looks to be an actual OEM CV, but if missing parts they may refund. I doubt the person working the ebay page has much 4runner specific knowledge that they would fight you on that. Most axles I see come with that shield, so I would tell them its missing parts

edit: the rusty inner part I don't like either

Last edited by y=mx+b; 02-23-2021 at 08:45 PM.
y=mx+b is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:13 AM #5
phatcheeks's Avatar
phatcheeks phatcheeks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 259
phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about
phatcheeks phatcheeks is offline
Member
phatcheeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 259
phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob3dsf View Post
I bought re-manufactured CV axles from toyota several years ago, and I kept my originals (rather than returning them for a core refund) so I could re-boot them. They came with the dust shields. Maybe look up the parts diagram and see if the shields are available. I've never returned anything to LKQ, but I've also never bought from them online. I usually go to a nearby salvage lot and pull my own parts. I have an LKQ yard near by. Matter of fact I never thought of pulling a CV axle before (but then the last time I pulled a part I knew a lot less about by rig than I do now). As for the gasket, that part might be replaceable as well. If it's meant to be temporary while you reboot your OEM, it might not really matter.

FYI on the reboot kit. Look into getting a set of "snap on" crimp style clamps. They are open on one side and have locking holes and tab. Basically it's open so you can slip it on, close it up with the locking tab, then crimp it tight.

Like these:
Amazon.com: Nicecnc Stainless Steel Universal Adjustable AXLE CV Joint Boot Crimp Clamp Kit,20PCS(10pcs Small+ 10pcs Large): Automotive

I would get some, or go to your auto parts store and order some of the twisty, spin style. Whichever, just have some extras. In my kit these was 3 crimp style and one kind then you fold it over to clamp and close, then secure it with little locking tabs. That one broke on me and I had to order some replacements. Some store stock some Dorman brand clamps but they were too small. So, know what diameter you need. Its, like, just over 4" for the larger size on our boots.

Re-booting is easy, just messy. A parts washer is something I wish I had, but I managed without it.
I dont have any 4th/5th gens near me. Most yards only have up to the 3rd gens.

When I said temporary, I meant as long as they last until I have time to reboot my old axle lol.

For the cv clamps, I have a bunch of the McMasterCarr clamps with smooth edges.
__________________
04 V6 4x4. Eibach Pro Truck Shocks, OME 885, Icon 2" Springs. JBA UCA. 295/70/17 Cooper Evolution MT
phatcheeks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:16 AM #6
phatcheeks's Avatar
phatcheeks phatcheeks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 259
phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about
phatcheeks phatcheeks is offline
Member
phatcheeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 259
phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by y=mx+b View Post
the pn for the one that fits on the outer CV joint (metal and rubber piece) is 90304-A0001. The inner side dust shield I don't know the pn for, but it is just press fit on there

For LKQ refunds, they sent me an O'reilly axle and I sent them a pic of the pn stamped on the axle and the oreilly page showing it. They refunded that one and I got to keep the axle. Might be different since this looks to be an actual OEM CV, but if missing parts they may refund. I doubt the person working the ebay page has much 4runner specific knowledge that they would fight you on that. Most axles I see come with that shield, so I would tell them its missing parts

edit: the rusty inner part I don't like either

I think I will just remove and reboot my current ones. Shouldn't take too long.

I just setup a refund saying arrived damaged, and also mentioned the missing dust shield. Lets see what they say.
__________________
04 V6 4x4. Eibach Pro Truck Shocks, OME 885, Icon 2" Springs. JBA UCA. 295/70/17 Cooper Evolution MT
phatcheeks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:11 PM #7
y=mx+b's Avatar
y=mx+b y=mx+b is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 629
y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold
y=mx+b y=mx+b is offline
Member
y=mx+b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 629
y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatcheeks View Post
I think I will just remove and reboot my current ones. Shouldn't take too long.

I just setup a refund saying arrived damaged, and also mentioned the missing dust shield. Lets see what they say.
Yep the reboot isn't that difficult, just messy. I've got a write-up if you want to see pics of the process: CV Reboot Tutorial with Boot Stretch (80+ Pictures)

Maybe try scotch brite and some wd40/penetrant on that inner piece to clean up the crusties and make a save on the axle.

Febest makes a whole inner joint + tripod that I want to try on one of my CVs, so that's another option if the rest of the axle is good
y=mx+b is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:41 PM #8
phatcheeks's Avatar
phatcheeks phatcheeks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 259
phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about
phatcheeks phatcheeks is offline
Member
phatcheeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 259
phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about phatcheeks has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by y=mx+b View Post
Yep the reboot isn't that difficult, just messy. I've got a write-up if you want to see pics of the process: CV Reboot Tutorial with Boot Stretch (80+ Pictures)

Maybe try scotch brite and some wd40/penetrant on that inner piece to clean up the crusties and make a save on the axle.

Febest makes a whole inner joint + tripod that I want to try on one of my CVs, so that's another option if the rest of the axle is good
Ha, Ive read your write-up many times. Thanks!
Can you share a link for that part? I only see the outer joint.

Also, I got a refund from LKQ. They haven't asked for the part back either.
__________________
04 V6 4x4. Eibach Pro Truck Shocks, OME 885, Icon 2" Springs. JBA UCA. 295/70/17 Cooper Evolution MT
phatcheeks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:21 PM #9
y=mx+b's Avatar
y=mx+b y=mx+b is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 629
y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold
y=mx+b y=mx+b is offline
Member
y=mx+b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 629
y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatcheeks View Post
Ha, Ive read your write-up many times. Thanks!
Can you share a link for that part? I only see the outer joint.

Also, I got a refund from LKQ. They haven't asked for the part back either.
So it looks like the part is no longer sold on eBay, but it was here: Inner Joint 30X47X30 FEBEST 0111-GRJ120 OEM 43403-60020 | eBay. Picture looks to have changed also, since the picture in the ad used to look exactly like the OEM inner tulip.

I also checked their website and I no longer see it, only the outer like you saw. This is a bummer and I wanted to try it out, since my spare axle inner tripod is a little chunky

Last edited by y=mx+b; 02-24-2021 at 08:48 PM.
y=mx+b is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:48 PM #10
y=mx+b's Avatar
y=mx+b y=mx+b is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 629
y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold
y=mx+b y=mx+b is offline
Member
y=mx+b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 629
y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatcheeks View Post
Ha, Ive read your write-up many times. Thanks!
Can you share a link for that part? I only see the outer joint.

Also, I got a refund from LKQ. They haven't asked for the part back either.
I sent them a message asking if they'll get them back in stock anytime soon, sounds like they may have some mid April

y=mx+b is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:07 PM #11
y=mx+b's Avatar
y=mx+b y=mx+b is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 629
y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold
y=mx+b y=mx+b is offline
Member
y=mx+b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 629
y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold y=mx+b is a splendid one to behold
I also found the PN for that little dustshield on the inner side: 4133604010
y=mx+b is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5th , axle , gen , lkq , shield

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Door panel water/dust shield gomoboo 4th Gen T4Rs 2 05-25-2016 02:01 PM
Outer CV Dust Shield SCRunner12 4th Gen T4Rs 1 06-09-2015 08:43 PM
Rotor Dust Shield Replacement Neil_R 3rd gen T4Rs 3 10-28-2014 11:53 PM
break dust shield? lgc285 3rd gen T4Rs 3 05-31-2014 11:22 PM
Brake dust shield question. Shawn5800 3rd gen T4Rs 3 02-13-2012 12:15 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020