User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2021, 02:25 PM #1
steven1955 steven1955 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Delaware
Posts: 15
steven1955 is on a distinguished road
steven1955 steven1955 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Delaware
Posts: 15
steven1955 is on a distinguished road
Saggy Rear... And way too many spring/lift/air bag threads...

2007 V8 Limited, non air suspension, non XReas, and 105,000-ish miles on the OEM springs. Bilstein 5100 shocks with the front shock snap ring set for 0.85 inch lift. 5100s have only about 15,000 miles on them, so don't want to replace them.

I know my answer is somewhere in the forum, but after hours of reading, reading, and reading some more I decided to ask for advice.

When empty except two people with groceries the 4R is nicely leveled. With four people and hiking gear the rear is only slightly low. But when we really load up the rear sags too much.

At first I thought that an air lift bags would be the easiest fix, but my GF drives the 4R more than I do, and I worry that the bags might leak down below the minimum inflation pressure and get damaged because I wouldn't always be able to check them out.

Questions and thoughts:

1a. Do the OEM springs go soft or are they prone to failing at 100,000+ miles?

1b. Maybe replacing the springs makes the most sense. While we don't need to lift Dobinson, and maybe others, make progressive rear springs with a mild lift,

2. Assuming there is no reliability based reason to replace the OEM springs, can you reasonably make air lift bags leak free enough to not be an issue. Like only having to check the every couple of weeks?

3. I know there are on board compressor based air lift control systems, but I think I'd rather spend those hundreds of dollars on a Bilstein 5100 compatible 1.5 to 2.5 inch lift. I would prefer a slightly firmer ride and maybe a little more roll resistance.

4. Are there any progressive rear springs other than the Dobinsons?

Thanks for any guidance you 4rth gen experts may offer.
steven1955 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:25 PM #2
Warwicke36's Avatar
Warwicke36 Warwicke36 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 285
Warwicke36 is a jewel in the rough Warwicke36 is a jewel in the rough Warwicke36 is a jewel in the rough
Warwicke36 Warwicke36 is offline
Member
Warwicke36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 285
Warwicke36 is a jewel in the rough Warwicke36 is a jewel in the rough Warwicke36 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1955 View Post
2007 V8 Limited, non air suspension, non XReas, and 105,000-ish miles on the OEM springs. Bilstein 5100 shocks with the front shock snap ring set for 0.85 inch lift. 5100s have only about 15,000 miles on them, so don't want to replace them.

I know my answer is somewhere in the forum, but after hours of reading, reading, and reading some more I decided to ask for advice.

When empty except two people with groceries the 4R is nicely leveled. With four people and hiking gear the rear is only slightly low. But when we really load up the rear sags too much.

At first I thought that an air lift bags would be the easiest fix, but my GF drives the 4R more than I do, and I worry that the bags might leak down below the minimum inflation pressure and get damaged because I wouldn't always be able to check them out.

Questions and thoughts:

1a. Do the OEM springs go soft or are they prone to failing at 100,000+ miles?

1b. Maybe replacing the springs makes the most sense. While we don't need to lift Dobinson, and maybe others, make progressive rear springs with a mild lift,

2. Assuming there is no reliability based reason to replace the OEM springs, can you reasonably make air lift bags leak free enough to not be an issue. Like only having to check the every couple of weeks?

3. I know there are on board compressor based air lift control systems, but I think I'd rather spend those hundreds of dollars on a Bilstein 5100 compatible 1.5 to 2.5 inch lift. I would prefer a slightly firmer ride and maybe a little more roll resistance.

4. Are there any progressive rear springs other than the Dobinsons?

Thanks for any guidance you 4rth gen experts may offer.
Air lift 1000 will suffice. I have em. They dont leak down. Keep 5 to 10 psi in them at all times... More if loaded up. Problem solved.
__________________
2004 Sport 4.0
Warwicke36 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:08 AM #3
pauldub pauldub is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North of Seattle
Posts: 430
pauldub will become famous soon enough
pauldub pauldub is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North of Seattle
Posts: 430
pauldub will become famous soon enough
I have the Airlift bags on my 3rd gen and they don't leak down. They really are the best solution if you want to adapt to widely varying load.
pauldub is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:20 AM #4
steven1955 steven1955 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Delaware
Posts: 15
steven1955 is on a distinguished road
steven1955 steven1955 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Delaware
Posts: 15
steven1955 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwicke36 View Post
Air lift 1000 will suffice. I have em. They dont leak down. Keep 5 to 10 psi in them at all times... More if loaded up. Problem solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldub View Post
I have the Airlift bags on my 3rd gen and they don't leak down. They really are the best solution if you want to adapt to widely varying load.
Well, between Warkwicke36 and pauldub we have two votes for airbags. Maybe I watched a few too many YouTube videos of people unhappy with air lift bags. Air bags will certainly be cheaper than springs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1955 View Post
1a. Do the OEM springs go soft or are they prone to failing at 100,000+ miles?
Yeah, I quoted my own question. I haven't seen any posts about problems with the OEM springs, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. Is there a point near 100,000 miles that I should consider replacing the factory original springs because they are getting old?

And if there is no reason to replace the springs at the time, who makes the best air lift bag? The Air Lift Company and Firestone are two that I know of.
steven1955 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:32 AM #5
Warwicke36's Avatar
Warwicke36 Warwicke36 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 285
Warwicke36 is a jewel in the rough Warwicke36 is a jewel in the rough Warwicke36 is a jewel in the rough
Warwicke36 Warwicke36 is offline
Member
Warwicke36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 285
Warwicke36 is a jewel in the rough Warwicke36 is a jewel in the rough Warwicke36 is a jewel in the rough
My OEMs had 200k on em with airbags for about 13k... They weren't really sagging... I also had a Daystar 1.5 spacer at the time... I now have toytec 2.0HDs in there though because I added a RIGd Ultraswing and still tow.... Those bad boys are tall AF FWIW
__________________
2004 Sport 4.0
Warwicke36 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:41 PM #6
ThirdCoastStroker ThirdCoastStroker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Corpus Christi TX
Posts: 13
ThirdCoastStroker is on a distinguished road
ThirdCoastStroker ThirdCoastStroker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Corpus Christi TX
Posts: 13
ThirdCoastStroker is on a distinguished road
I had firestone bags on my last F350 and loved them. held air fine for 100,000 miles
ThirdCoastStroker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:19 PM #7
BackOff's Avatar
BackOff BackOff is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Earth, Central Oregun
Age: 50
Posts: 1,130
Real Name: Derek
BackOff is a jewel in the rough BackOff is a jewel in the rough BackOff is a jewel in the rough
BackOff BackOff is offline
Senior Member
BackOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Earth, Central Oregun
Age: 50
Posts: 1,130
Real Name: Derek
BackOff is a jewel in the rough BackOff is a jewel in the rough BackOff is a jewel in the rough
I ran a set of the Airlift1000 extended bags with zero air pressure and the valve stems removed for over 2 years, granted was only about 10k miles total.

I had no problem with running them on zero air pressure, when i pulled them out i cut the bags open to look at wear. Did not apear to be any damage from no air... got the idea from another member on here... was thinking it was working as a sort of air jounce/bump stop.
Fast compression= less air can escape.
Slow compression= more air can escape for better articulation.
This is all theory and conjecture on my part of course.

They work great for added weight and towing too.
I have use them the proper way as suggested for years before and was happy.


Eibach makes a rear adjustable coil for the 5th gens, dont know if its a 4th gen compatible, but i dont see why not.
Load leveling kit.
Eibach 5th Gen Rear Load-Leveling Kits
__________________
2004 T4R 4x4 SR5 v6
Some modifications.
Black-N-Blue
BackOff is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:29 PM #8
steven1955 steven1955 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Delaware
Posts: 15
steven1955 is on a distinguished road
steven1955 steven1955 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Delaware
Posts: 15
steven1955 is on a distinguished road
OK. A lift, meaning taller springs, might be fun. But Airlift 1000s are far cheaper and adjustable to boot. And you folks have convinced me they can be leak free. So Airlift 1000s it is.

Just in case anyone else was going to order them this Memorial Day Weekend Advance Auto has a 25% discount (code RAKAAP25) this weekend plus another 10% back if you are a member of Rakuten. $111.99 becomes $75.60.

**** Alternate Schrader fill valve location needed. ****

Most 4Runner folks seem to install the Schrader fill valves behind the tailgate so that they are hidden when the tailgate is closed. That will not work for us because we'll have a receiver mounted bike rack with two e mountain bikes preventing the tailgate from being opened.

Anyone have a good alternate location for those Schrader valves already figured out?
steven1955 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
air , lift , reading , rear , springs

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I need to replace saggy rear coils if adding an Air Lift 1000 kit or no? genEus 3rd gen T4Rs 15 06-11-2020 02:37 PM
Toytec superflex springs to give my saggy rear a 1.5-2" lift over level? SDmtnbkr 3rd gen T4Rs 31 04-10-2017 09:21 PM
mixing daystar front lift with rear lift spring??? hdoggie24 3rd gen T4Rs 2 04-27-2010 01:52 PM
Saggy Butt, Lift or not to Lift? ad1315 Classic T4Rs 8 02-22-2010 12:32 PM
saggy rear smokey0066 4th Gen T4Rs 4 06-08-2004 01:19 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020