User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2021, 10:24 AM #1
southern_runner southern_runner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: TN
Posts: 55
southern_runner is on a distinguished road
southern_runner southern_runner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: TN
Posts: 55
southern_runner is on a distinguished road
No air through center vents

2003 SR5 V8. It has the issue where you hear the buzz from the AC Damper Motor.

When I turn the A/C on and set it to blow out of the dash vents, I get air from the two side vents near each window, but nothing from the two center vents.

I don't think the rear seat is getting air either. Is this an issue with the mixer, or could something be disconnected behind the dash?
southern_runner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:14 PM #2
AuSeeker AuSeeker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,312
Real Name: Skip
AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future
AuSeeker AuSeeker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,312
Real Name: Skip
AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_runner View Post
2003 SR5 V8. It has the issue where you hear the buzz from the AC Damper Motor.

When I turn the A/C on and set it to blow out of the dash vents, I get air from the two side vents near each window, but nothing from the two center vents.

I don't think the rear seat is getting air either. Is this an issue with the mixer, or could something be disconnected behind the dash?
If I'm not mistaken when it's on defrost the air comes out the windshield vents and the 2 outer dash vents to defrost the door glass.

So it sounds like the mode door isn't working and is stuck in defrost mode, check and see if air is coming out the windshield/defrost vents if so then that's the problem, you will need to replace the mode actuator, especially since you're hearing the buzz noise.

You also have a blend door which changes the air from hot to cold, etc., if you can change the temperature without any noise/clicking etc., then that actuator is working as it should, if there's any noise then it could be going bad as well.
__________________
2004 Limited V8

Last edited by AuSeeker; 07-16-2021 at 06:17 PM.
AuSeeker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:15 PM #3
southern_runner southern_runner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: TN
Posts: 55
southern_runner is on a distinguished road
southern_runner southern_runner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: TN
Posts: 55
southern_runner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuSeeker View Post
If I'm not mistaken when it's on defrost the air comes out the windshield vents and the 2 outer dash vents to defrost the door glass.

So it sounds like the mode door isn't working and is stuck in defrost mode, check and see if air is coming out the windshield/defrost vents if so then that's the problem, you will need to replace the mode actuator, especially since you're hearing the buzz noise.

You also have a blend door which changes the air from hot to cold, etc., if you can change the temperature without any noise/clicking etc., then that actuator is working as it should, if there's any noise then it could be going bad as well.
If it is the mode actuator, that's the little black box behind the glove box correct? That thing is a PITA to remove. I can get 2 of the 3 screws out of the bracket, but the third is buried behind the entire blower assembly. What stinks is that is a relatively inexpensive part.
southern_runner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:12 AM #4
AuSeeker AuSeeker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,312
Real Name: Skip
AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future
AuSeeker AuSeeker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,312
Real Name: Skip
AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_runner View Post
If it is the mode actuator, that's the little black box behind the glove box correct? That thing is a PITA to remove. I can get 2 of the 3 screws out of the bracket, but the third is buried behind the entire blower assembly. What stinks is that is a relatively inexpensive part.
I haven't had to replace any of my actuator so I'm not sure which one is the mode actuator, I know I have read which is which but just can't remember at the moment..but you can pin-point which it is by changing the settings while looking at the actuator/s and see which one is working or not working, if it is the one you think it is many have gotten to the 3rd screw by drilling a hole from inside the blower box to have a direct shot at the screw and then plugging the hole after the R&R of the actuator.

That all being said there are numerous topics/posts in this forum on changing out the various HVAC actuators, doing a forum search should show result for most of them.
__________________
2004 Limited V8
AuSeeker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:11 PM #5
AuSeeker AuSeeker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,312
Real Name: Skip
AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future
AuSeeker AuSeeker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,312
Real Name: Skip
AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_runner View Post
If it is the mode actuator, that's the little black box behind the glove box correct? That thing is a PITA to remove. I can get 2 of the 3 screws out of the bracket, but the third is buried behind the entire blower assembly. What stinks is that is a relatively inexpensive part.
I meant to ask did you confirm that there's air coming out of the defrost vents?
__________________
2004 Limited V8
AuSeeker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:55 PM #6
southern_runner southern_runner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: TN
Posts: 55
southern_runner is on a distinguished road
southern_runner southern_runner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: TN
Posts: 55
southern_runner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuSeeker View Post
I meant to ask did you confirm that there's air coming out of the defrost vents?
Sorry, been on vacation. Yes, it's just like you said. When I turn on the A/C and set it to the upper vents, then I get air from the vents nearest the windows, none through the center vents, and air from the defrost vent.

Also I can't prove it but I feel like I'm getting heat near my feet...it's hotter in that area than I feel like it should be.
southern_runner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:13 AM #7
AuSeeker AuSeeker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,312
Real Name: Skip
AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future
AuSeeker AuSeeker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,312
Real Name: Skip
AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_runner View Post
Sorry, been on vacation. Yes, it's just like you said. When I turn on the A/C and set it to the upper vents, then I get air from the vents nearest the windows, none through the center vents, and air from the defrost vent.

Also I can't prove it but I feel like I'm getting heat near my feet...it's hotter in that area than I feel like it should be.
You shouldn't be getting any air hot or cold from the floor vents if it's stuck in defrost mode, also if the air coming out the other vents is cold then there no way you would be getting hot air anywhere else since the air comes/originates from the same place in the system and is directed to the various vents by the mode door.

Maybe you're just sensing a bit of heat radiating through the firewall/floor from the engine and or exhaust system.
__________________
2004 Limited V8
AuSeeker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:35 AM #8
southern_runner southern_runner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: TN
Posts: 55
southern_runner is on a distinguished road
southern_runner southern_runner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: TN
Posts: 55
southern_runner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuSeeker View Post
You shouldn't be getting any air hot or cold from the floor vents if it's stuck in defrost mode, also if the air coming out the other vents is cold then there no way you would be getting hot air anywhere else since the air comes/originates from the same place in the system and is directed to the various vents by the mode door.

Maybe you're just sensing a bit of heat radiating through the firewall/floor from the engine and or exhaust system.
That's what I was thinking, because the air is cold that comes from vents and defrost. There is definitely more heat coming through than I expected, but I was towing so she was working harder than usual.
southern_runner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:12 PM #9
TimCan TimCan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1
TimCan is on a distinguished road
TimCan TimCan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1
TimCan is on a distinguished road
Similar issue. Air only coming out of defroster vents

Hoping for some help. My issue started with my heat not coming on. I cleaned out the inside air filter and blew out some debris that was stuck in the vents. I checked the blower motor and it is working fine. The heat wound up coming back on however then another problem startedÖthe air flow would only go through the defrost vents no matter what setting I had it on (front, lower, defrost). There is no clicking noise like I have read on other posts associated with this problem. Thoughts?
TimCan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
air , center , dash , issue , vents

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: 3rd gen center dash vents tip For Sale: T4R Items 6 12-28-2019 12:07 AM
Rear center console vents? SendInTheCavalry 5th gen T4Rs 10 04-26-2018 05:58 PM
WTB: 3rd gen center dash vents david.b For Sale: T4R Items 2 10-27-2011 09:55 AM
center air vents 2000 4 runner humbleassassin 3rd gen T4Rs 4 06-15-2011 05:30 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020