User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2021, 01:38 PM #1
chrisbagnell's Avatar
chrisbagnell chrisbagnell is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 21
Posts: 58
Real Name: Chris
chrisbagnell will become famous soon enough
chrisbagnell chrisbagnell is offline
Member
chrisbagnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 21
Posts: 58
Real Name: Chris
chrisbagnell will become famous soon enough
POR-15 isn't going to fix this one... need some advice

my rear crossmember that supports the bumper and towing capacity, is not looking so pretty. It's been missing the left corner for a few years but I wanted to POR-15 this and I don't feel comfortable putting it all back together knowing it looks like this swiss cheese.. Looking for some help/advice.

Having a hard time finding parts, everything is easy to switch except the cross member which needs welding. Replacing the crossmember and not just welding plates on would be ideal as its rusty all the way through. This is the worst part on the frame.

If anyone has part numbers or knows where to get this stuff that would be appreciated.
Before Hammer
POR-15 isn't going to fix this one... need some advicePOR-15 isn't going to fix this one... need some advicePOR-15 isn't going to fix this one... need some advice
After Hammer
POR-15 isn't going to fix this one... need some advicePOR-15 isn't going to fix this one... need some advice
I cannot find the part # for the piece that holds the Door Lock Striker, It comes off and its what the door lock striker bolts into.
POR-15 isn't going to fix this one... need some advice

Already have the following in the cart, since its rusty I might as well replace it.

Bracket, Rear Bumper Side Mounting, LH #52185-60090
Bracket, Rear Bumper Side Mounting, RH #52185-60090

I would assume I need both side gussets,
Gusset, Frame Rear Crossmember, Rh 51391-35090
Gusset, Frame Rear Crossmember, Lh 51392-35080

And the Rear crossmember
Crossmember Sub-Assy, Frame, Rear 51209-35210 Listed for $422 new, I need to find it cheaper, if anyone has any leads please let me know
__________________
2004 Sport Edition v6 4wd, 160k+ miles
My Build Thread: CBR's Build Thread
My Write-ups: How to Manually Release Rear Hatch with Pictures
chrisbagnell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:54 PM #2
Piggity Piggity is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 132
Piggity will become famous soon enough
Piggity Piggity is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 132
Piggity will become famous soon enough
I'd go on car-part.com and find a 4Runner in a non-rust belt state. Get them to cut the whole rear crossmember off (just the steel) and ship it to you. Then get a local welder to cut yours off and weld the new rust free crossmember back on. You're probably looking at less money than all of the new parts from the stealership.
__________________
06' Limited 4WD V6 Nautical Blue Metallic
5th Gen front brakes
265/65R18 Cooper A/TW tires
2018 Forest River 201BHXL
Piggity is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:54 PM #3
MikeinNH67's Avatar
MikeinNH67 MikeinNH67 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 563
Real Name: Mike
MikeinNH67 has a spectacular aura about MikeinNH67 has a spectacular aura about MikeinNH67 has a spectacular aura about
MikeinNH67 MikeinNH67 is offline
Member
MikeinNH67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 563
Real Name: Mike
MikeinNH67 has a spectacular aura about MikeinNH67 has a spectacular aura about MikeinNH67 has a spectacular aura about
Dang, that is substantial. By the time it's cut back to weldable metal it will be quite large. My holes in that area were way smaller so I cut back the metal and welded in plates, I have a thread on it here. Before you do any more I suggest you check the rest of the frame closely. Check the bottom side of the frame under where your feet are when driving, the area the fuel tank straps bolt to and the front crossmember where the tow points are. You may find there's more cancer than you thought.
__________________
Mike

03 4runner Limited
1GR-FE V6 w/199k miles
MikeinNH67 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:02 PM #4
AuSeeker AuSeeker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bluffton S.C.
Posts: 3,601
Real Name: Skip
AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of
AuSeeker AuSeeker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bluffton S.C.
Posts: 3,601
Real Name: Skip
AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbagnell View Post
my rear crossmember that supports the bumper and towing capacity, is not looking so pretty. It's been missing the left corner for a few years but I wanted to POR-15 this and I don't feel comfortable putting it all back together knowing it looks like this swiss cheese.. Looking for some help/advice.

Having a hard time finding parts, everything is easy to switch except the cross member which needs welding. Replacing the crossmember and not just welding plates on would be ideal as its rusty all the way through. This is the worst part on the frame.

If anyone has part numbers or knows where to get this stuff that would be appreciated.
Before Hammer
POR-15 isn't going to fix this one... need some advicePOR-15 isn't going to fix this one... need some advicePOR-15 isn't going to fix this one... need some advice
After Hammer
POR-15 isn't going to fix this one... need some advicePOR-15 isn't going to fix this one... need some advice
I cannot find the part # for the piece that holds the Door Lock Striker, It comes off and its what the door lock striker bolts into.
POR-15 isn't going to fix this one... need some advice

Already have the following in the cart, since its rusty I might as well replace it.

Bracket, Rear Bumper Side Mounting, LH #52185-60090
Bracket, Rear Bumper Side Mounting, RH #52185-60090

I would assume I need both side gussets,
Gusset, Frame Rear Crossmember, Rh 51391-35090
Gusset, Frame Rear Crossmember, Lh 51392-35080

And the Rear crossmember
Crossmember Sub-Assy, Frame, Rear 51209-35210 Listed for $422 new, I need to find it cheaper, if anyone has any leads please let me know
I couldn't find the hatch latch piece you're looking for..but the rear cross member now has a new part number and it's way less than the price you posted, you may want to check the other pieces you posted at McGeorge Toyota to see if they could be cheaper as well, here a link to the rear cross member.

2003-2009 Toyota 4Runner Cross-Member 51209-35211 | Toyota Parts

To check the price of the other pieces just search the part numbers for the quickest results.
__________________
2004 Limited V8
AuSeeker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:06 PM #5
chrisbagnell's Avatar
chrisbagnell chrisbagnell is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 21
Posts: 58
Real Name: Chris
chrisbagnell will become famous soon enough
chrisbagnell chrisbagnell is offline
Member
chrisbagnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 21
Posts: 58
Real Name: Chris
chrisbagnell will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinNH67 View Post
Dang, that is substantial. By the time it's cut back to weldable metal it will be quite large. My holes in that area were way smaller so I cut back the metal and welded in plates, I have a thread on it here. Before you do any more I suggest you check the rest of the frame closely. Check the bottom side of the frame under where your feet are when driving, the area the fuel tank straps bolt to and the front crossmember where the tow points are. You may find there's more cancer than you thought.
Thanks for the advice. The rest of the frame is in great condition, my thought is that the drain holes got covered and it just ate away at that crossmember. Do you have a link to your repair? I was going to search for it but you have a lot of posts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuSeeker View Post
I couldn't find the hatch latch piece you're looking for..but the rear cross member now has a new part number and it's way less than the price you posted, you may want to check the other pieces you posted at McGeorge Toyota to see if they could be cheaper as well, here a link to the rear cross member.

2003-2009 Toyota 4Runner Cross-Member 51209-35211 | Toyota Parts

To check the price of the other pieces just search the part numbers for the quickest results.
Thank you so much! I was looking at toyotapartsdeal.com.. I'm going to look for a used part like Piggity suggested but if I cant find one in good enough condition ill get it from mcgeorge.
__________________
2004 Sport Edition v6 4wd, 160k+ miles
My Build Thread: CBR's Build Thread
My Write-ups: How to Manually Release Rear Hatch with Pictures
chrisbagnell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:57 PM #6
Too Stroked's Avatar
Too Stroked Too Stroked is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 230
Too Stroked will become famous soon enough Too Stroked will become famous soon enough
Too Stroked Too Stroked is offline
Member
Too Stroked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 230
Too Stroked will become famous soon enough Too Stroked will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
I'd go on car-part.com and find a 4Runner in a non-rust belt state. Get them to cut the whole rear crossmember off (just the steel) and ship it to you. Then get a local welder to cut yours off and weld the new rust free crossmember back on. You're probably looking at less money than all of the new parts from the stealership.
Due to the large number of folks looking for complete rust free 4Runner frames, I kind of doubt anybody is going to be willing to screw a good one up by cutting off a portion of it to sell you.
Too Stroked is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:58 PM #7
MikeinNH67's Avatar
MikeinNH67 MikeinNH67 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 563
Real Name: Mike
MikeinNH67 has a spectacular aura about MikeinNH67 has a spectacular aura about MikeinNH67 has a spectacular aura about
MikeinNH67 MikeinNH67 is offline
Member
MikeinNH67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 563
Real Name: Mike
MikeinNH67 has a spectacular aura about MikeinNH67 has a spectacular aura about MikeinNH67 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbagnell View Post
Thanks for the advice. The rest of the frame is in great condition, my thought is that the drain holes got covered and it just ate away at that crossmember. Do you have a link to your repair? I was going to search for it but you have a lot of posts..
It took some digging but post 18 on this thread shows a couple pics. Sorry the pics aren't better. After welding it, all got covered with SEM Rusttrap and the frame has been oiled multiple times since. I still have a rust hole I need to repair in the feet area.
Who had their 4runner frame replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Stroked View Post
Due to the large number of folks looking for complete rust free 4Runner frames, I kind of doubt anybody is going to be willing to screw a good one up by cutting off a portion of it to sell you.
Well that would depend, if the truck had a bad frontal impact then the frame is not very useful for a swap. Doesn't hurt to try.
__________________
Mike

03 4runner Limited
1GR-FE V6 w/199k miles
MikeinNH67 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:17 PM #8
Too Stroked's Avatar
Too Stroked Too Stroked is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 230
Too Stroked will become famous soon enough Too Stroked will become famous soon enough
Too Stroked Too Stroked is offline
Member
Too Stroked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 230
Too Stroked will become famous soon enough Too Stroked will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinNH67 View Post
Well that would depend, if the truck had a bad frontal impact then the frame is not very useful for a swap. Doesn't hurt to try.
Good point. I'll buy that.
Too Stroked is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:58 PM #9
meltdowner meltdowner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 168
Real Name: Tim
meltdowner is on a distinguished road
meltdowner meltdowner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 168
Real Name: Tim
meltdowner is on a distinguished road
my nightmare
meltdowner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:32 PM #10
Syr4RinNC's Avatar
Syr4RinNC Syr4RinNC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Back in The Socialist State of NY
Posts: 469
Syr4RinNC has a spectacular aura about Syr4RinNC has a spectacular aura about
Syr4RinNC Syr4RinNC is offline
Member
Syr4RinNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Back in The Socialist State of NY
Posts: 469
Syr4RinNC has a spectacular aura about Syr4RinNC has a spectacular aura about
Yea - surprising just those two corners - something nasty must have caught in there. My whole bumper support is kinda crusty. With rust itís a bad mistake to start try to take thing aparts. In your case the rest of the truck looks good and solid - just a shame for those two parts

Where do you live roughly?
__________________
2008 SR5 4WD Black. Bilstein 5100, 5th gen coils/ rear springs. 265 70 17 AT for everyday use. Victory Sliders. headunit upgrade. Back up camera install. Expert at replacement rear hatches

All you need to go off road is to be willing to get some scrapes and dents along the way
Syr4RinNC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:14 AM #11
chrisbagnell's Avatar
chrisbagnell chrisbagnell is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 21
Posts: 58
Real Name: Chris
chrisbagnell will become famous soon enough
chrisbagnell chrisbagnell is offline
Member
chrisbagnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 21
Posts: 58
Real Name: Chris
chrisbagnell will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syr4RinNC View Post
Yea - surprising just those two corners - something nasty must have caught in there. My whole bumper support is kinda crusty. With rust itís a bad mistake to start try to take thing aparts. In your case the rest of the truck looks good and solid - just a shame for those two parts

Where do you live roughly?
South East PA
__________________
2004 Sport Edition v6 4wd, 160k+ miles
My Build Thread: CBR's Build Thread
My Write-ups: How to Manually Release Rear Hatch with Pictures
chrisbagnell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:51 AM #12
Syr4RinNC's Avatar
Syr4RinNC Syr4RinNC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Back in The Socialist State of NY
Posts: 469
Syr4RinNC has a spectacular aura about Syr4RinNC has a spectacular aura about
Syr4RinNC Syr4RinNC is offline
Member
Syr4RinNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Back in The Socialist State of NY
Posts: 469
Syr4RinNC has a spectacular aura about Syr4RinNC has a spectacular aura about
Id probably try to get an estimate from a local fabrication/ welding shop.

Otherwise - stay on top of craigslist, facebook marketplace, local 4runner/ toyota groups, Theres a 4runner classified FB group, ebay and local junk yards for vehicles being parted out

This is what I had to do to find replacement rear-hatches
__________________
2008 SR5 4WD Black. Bilstein 5100, 5th gen coils/ rear springs. 265 70 17 AT for everyday use. Victory Sliders. headunit upgrade. Back up camera install. Expert at replacement rear hatches

All you need to go off road is to be willing to get some scrapes and dents along the way
Syr4RinNC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:44 PM #13
chrisbagnell's Avatar
chrisbagnell chrisbagnell is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 21
Posts: 58
Real Name: Chris
chrisbagnell will become famous soon enough
chrisbagnell chrisbagnell is offline
Member
chrisbagnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 21
Posts: 58
Real Name: Chris
chrisbagnell will become famous soon enough
managed to find a yard in Texas that was willing to ship to Pennsylvania. The guy told me I was luckily I called because he was about to scrap the car because has had it for 3 years and needs to get it off his lot. He's going to cut from the body mount back and I got it all for $100 shipped

Also in the works of a friend of a friend who has an industrial welder that needs electricity ran to it since he has a new location, So if i can help him he will help me for $Free-fitty.
__________________
2004 Sport Edition v6 4wd, 160k+ miles
My Build Thread: CBR's Build Thread
My Write-ups: How to Manually Release Rear Hatch with Pictures

Last edited by chrisbagnell; 07-28-2021 at 07:46 PM.
chrisbagnell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:00 PM #14
Syr4RinNC's Avatar
Syr4RinNC Syr4RinNC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Back in The Socialist State of NY
Posts: 469
Syr4RinNC has a spectacular aura about Syr4RinNC has a spectacular aura about
Syr4RinNC Syr4RinNC is offline
Member
Syr4RinNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Back in The Socialist State of NY
Posts: 469
Syr4RinNC has a spectacular aura about Syr4RinNC has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbagnell View Post
managed to find a yard in Texas that was willing to ship to Pennsylvania. The guy told me I was luckily I called because he was about to scrap the car because has had it for 3 years and needs to get it off his lot. He's going to cut from the body mount back and I got it all for $100 shipped

Also in the works of a friend of a friend who has an industrial welder that needs electricity ran to it since he has a new location, So if i can help him he will help me for $Free-fitty.
Good deal/ good to hear. Hopefully it all works out well for you
__________________
2008 SR5 4WD Black. Bilstein 5100, 5th gen coils/ rear springs. 265 70 17 AT for everyday use. Victory Sliders. headunit upgrade. Back up camera install. Expert at replacement rear hatches

All you need to go off road is to be willing to get some scrapes and dents along the way
Syr4RinNC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:29 PM #15
MikeinNH67's Avatar
MikeinNH67 MikeinNH67 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 563
Real Name: Mike
MikeinNH67 has a spectacular aura about MikeinNH67 has a spectacular aura about MikeinNH67 has a spectacular aura about
MikeinNH67 MikeinNH67 is offline
Member
MikeinNH67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 563
Real Name: Mike
MikeinNH67 has a spectacular aura about MikeinNH67 has a spectacular aura about MikeinNH67 has a spectacular aura about
Can't beat that. Keep us posted and maybe share some pics.
__________________
Mike

03 4runner Limited
1GR-FE V6 w/199k miles
MikeinNH67 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bumper , crossmember , frame , part , rear

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice under $25k petron5000 5th gen T4Rs 29 10-31-2018 04:49 PM
Need some advice MK1Power 3rd gen T4Rs 9 01-26-2015 10:54 AM
New 3rd Gen owner looking for some tips(Lift Advice, front end parts advice) Strain 3rd gen T4Rs 2 09-20-2013 10:49 AM
Advice on a 3rd gen BlackCat 3rd gen T4Rs 20 03-08-2012 03:09 PM
Advice: Beware of bad advice from unqualified journalists Thai 4th Gen T4Rs 1 02-05-2003 10:04 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020