User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2021, 11:18 AM #16
zguy1's Avatar
zguy1 zguy1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Midwest
Posts: 121
zguy1 will become famous soon enough
zguy1 zguy1 is offline
Member
zguy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Midwest
Posts: 121
zguy1 will become famous soon enough
Update here... Called all local auto parts stores (Advance, Autozone and Oreillyís) and none of them press bearings in. Carquest appears to not be local here in Illinois or at least nearby. Called my local Toyota dealer, who have been pretty helpful, and spoke to their service department. A master tech said that do not replace bearings alone on an old hub spindle. They sell all new parts and press them on when repairing.

At least I know what my options are. Iím leaning towards trying to rebuild mine vs buying a preassembled unit. If I did go with a preassembled unit, I would most likely go with the ones recommended here that use the Koyo bearings. I will most likely leave the bearing as is for my trip unless it starts to make noise prior to then.
zguy1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:21 AM #17
bob3dsf's Avatar
bob3dsf bob3dsf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rocky Mount, NC
Age: 47
Posts: 400
Real Name: Bob
bob3dsf will become famous soon enough
bob3dsf bob3dsf is offline
Member
bob3dsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rocky Mount, NC
Age: 47
Posts: 400
Real Name: Bob
bob3dsf will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zguy1 View Post
Man, you got me thinking now about a press. I am tempted to check them out at Harbor Freight. I haven't been buying any tools these days since I have most of what I need. Lately I have been renting specialty tools from Oreilly's since they are free and typically don't use them often. I am guessing I would need the OTC bearing separator tool as well. Not sure if that can be rented or what the cost is.
The harbor freight press is terrific. When I did my front bearings I just used the pre-assembled kits. Super easy. But, I didn't have a press at the time. now I do. I got it to have in case my rear bearing go, you need the press for that and a special pulling tool. Knock on wood my rears are still good at 253k. But I've also used the press for a few other things, plus if you decide to do ball joints or control arm bushings, etc, the press is the ticket, but you'll probably still need to rent a kit with the sleeves/cups or have several sizes of steel tube available to use. If you get into your own fabricating of odds and ends that press will be golden. Swag offroad has a press brake made for the HF 20T press. There is a weld-it-yourself version and I think a fully complete one for more $. Then you'll be able to bent small pieces of thin-ish plate and sheet metal. Basically, if you like DIY projects, a the HF press is a no-brainer. I think it's easily the most valuable tool they sell. That and the 2T engine hoist.
__________________
08 SR5 4WD
bob3dsf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:39 AM #18
Too Stroked's Avatar
Too Stroked Too Stroked is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 300
Too Stroked has a spectacular aura about Too Stroked has a spectacular aura about
Too Stroked Too Stroked is offline
Member
Too Stroked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 300
Too Stroked has a spectacular aura about Too Stroked has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackOff View Post
This guys been selling complete front hubs over on TW for a number of years now, not sure i have seen any bad reviews.
Just have to bolt it on.

Wheel Bearings & Hubs Press Service *** OE NSK*** | Tacoma World
^^^^^ This! And with him, you get a top quality bearing assembled correctly.
Too Stroked is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:40 AM #19
Too Stroked's Avatar
Too Stroked Too Stroked is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 300
Too Stroked has a spectacular aura about Too Stroked has a spectacular aura about
Too Stroked Too Stroked is offline
Member
Too Stroked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 300
Too Stroked has a spectacular aura about Too Stroked has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by zguy1 View Post
Update here... Called all local auto parts stores (Advance, Autozone and Oreillyís) and none of them press bearings in. Carquest appears to not be local here in Illinois or at least nearby. Called my local Toyota dealer, who have been pretty helpful, and spoke to their service department. A master tech said that do not replace bearings alone on an old hub spindle. They sell all new parts and press them on when repairing.

At least I know what my options are. Iím leaning towards trying to rebuild mine vs buying a preassembled unit. If I did go with a preassembled unit, I would most likely go with the ones recommended here that use the Koyo bearings. I will most likely leave the bearing as is for my trip unless it starts to make noise prior to then.
Beware the ones on eBay featuring fake Koyo bearings. (Yes, the Chinese have sunk that low.) How do you tell if they're fake? They're unusually inexpensive.
Too Stroked is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:43 PM #20
4Runnem's Avatar
4Runnem 4Runnem is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 4
Real Name: Victor
4Runnem is on a distinguished road
4Runnem 4Runnem is offline
Junior Member
4Runnem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 4
Real Name: Victor
4Runnem is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Stroked View Post
^^^^^ This! And with him, you get a top quality bearing assembled correctly.
Where can we contact him? it looks like his user profile no longer exists on the Tacoma forum. I'm doing some maintenance on my front end suspension, replacing the front axles and figured I mine as well do my wheel bearings as there is some play in them.
4Runnem is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:56 PM #21
montijo505's Avatar
montijo505 montijo505 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Posts: 2,039
montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of
montijo505 montijo505 is offline
Senior Member
montijo505's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Posts: 2,039
montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runnem View Post
Where can we contact him? it looks like his user profile no longer exists on the Tacoma forum. I'm doing some maintenance on my front end suspension, replacing the front axles and figured I mine as well do my wheel bearings as there is some play in them.

Wheel Bearings & Hubs Press Service *** OE NSK*** | Tacoma World


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
montijo505 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:16 PM #22
4Runnem's Avatar
4Runnem 4Runnem is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 4
Real Name: Victor
4Runnem is on a distinguished road
4Runnem 4Runnem is offline
Junior Member
4Runnem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 4
Real Name: Victor
4Runnem is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by montijo505 View Post
thanks, had to create an account before I could start a conversation with him. Any idea how these compare to koyo bearings? was about to purchase on ebay Dorman front hub 930-403 or equivalent with Koyo/Timken Bearing but after reading this thread kind of hesitant now, the set on ebay goes for 280 but I'd rather pay 345 from somebody reputable and that people on this forum have experience with.
__________________
2007 V8 4Runner Sport
4Runnem is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:53 PM #23
montijo505's Avatar
montijo505 montijo505 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Posts: 2,039
montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of
montijo505 montijo505 is offline
Senior Member
montijo505's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Posts: 2,039
montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runnem View Post
thanks, had to create an account before I could start a conversation with him. Any idea how these compare to koyo bearings? was about to purchase on ebay Dorman front hub 930-403 or equivalent with Koyo/Timken Bearing but after reading this thread kind of hesitant now, the set on ebay goes for 280 but I'd rather pay 345 from somebody reputable and that people on this forum have experience with.

Iíve been running them for quite a while, at least three years Iíd say. Iíve had no issues and he has hundreds of sales and reviews on his thread.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
montijo505 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:57 PM #24
4Runnem's Avatar
4Runnem 4Runnem is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 4
Real Name: Victor
4Runnem is on a distinguished road
4Runnem 4Runnem is offline
Junior Member
4Runnem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 4
Real Name: Victor
4Runnem is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by montijo505 View Post
Iíve been running them for quite a while, at least three years Iíd say. Iíve had no issues and he has hundreds of sales and reviews on his thread.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great, I appreciate the feedback. He's already responded to me.
__________________
2007 V8 4Runner Sport
4Runnem is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:16 PM #25
zguy1's Avatar
zguy1 zguy1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Midwest
Posts: 121
zguy1 will become famous soon enough
zguy1 zguy1 is offline
Member
zguy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Midwest
Posts: 121
zguy1 will become famous soon enough
I am planning on going with a complete assembly this time around. I have a few questions though.

Any concerns with durability or corrosion when going with assemblies that have the Dorman hubs? Seems like most of the options include a high quality bearing with a Dorman hub.

Also, will I be able to tell whether or not my old bearing is a factory one when I take it off? I am not the original owner so I donít know the complete history of the vehicle.
zguy1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:16 PM #26
AuSeeker AuSeeker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bluffton S.C.
Posts: 3,678
Real Name: Skip
AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of
AuSeeker AuSeeker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bluffton S.C.
Posts: 3,678
Real Name: Skip
AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of AuSeeker has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by zguy1 View Post
I am planning on going with a complete assembly this time around. I have a few questions though.

Any concerns with durability or corrosion when going with assemblies that have the Dorman hubs? Seems like most of the options include a high quality bearing with a Dorman hub.

Also, will I be able to tell whether or not my old bearing is a factory one when I take it off? I am not the original owner so I donít know the complete history of the vehicle.
If the old bearings have Koyo written on them they're very likely the originals.
__________________
2004 Limited V8
AuSeeker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 02:08 PM #27
bob3dsf's Avatar
bob3dsf bob3dsf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rocky Mount, NC
Age: 47
Posts: 400
Real Name: Bob
bob3dsf will become famous soon enough
bob3dsf bob3dsf is offline
Member
bob3dsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rocky Mount, NC
Age: 47
Posts: 400
Real Name: Bob
bob3dsf will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zguy1 View Post
I am planning on going with a complete assembly this time around. I have a few questions though.

Any concerns with durability or corrosion when going with assemblies that have the Dorman hubs? Seems like most of the options include a high quality bearing with a Dorman hub.

Also, will I be able to tell whether or not my old bearing is a factory one when I take it off? I am not the original owner so I donít know the complete history of the vehicle.
I replaced my fronts with the assemblies (from blue pit bearings. I think He sold through his own website, but also on ebay with a different name). They were done in 2013 @78,000 miles. I'm now at 253k and no problems. Koyo bearings and Doorman hubs. BTW, when I got my press, I pressed out the old bearings to try and keep the OEM hubs, which I still have. The inner bearing race stayed on the hub and the bearings came apart. Not surprised and it allowed be to see that water must've gotten into the bearings. They looked red, which I took to be from some rust. Not much, but enough to toast the bearings. But again, my current set up is A-ok.
__________________
08 SR5 4WD
bob3dsf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 03:14 PM #28
zguy1's Avatar
zguy1 zguy1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Midwest
Posts: 121
zguy1 will become famous soon enough
zguy1 zguy1 is offline
Member
zguy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Midwest
Posts: 121
zguy1 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob3dsf View Post
I replaced my fronts with the assemblies (from blue pit bearings. I think He sold through his own website, but also on ebay with a different name). They were done in 2013 @78,000 miles. I'm now at 253k and no problems. Koyo bearings and Doorman hubs. BTW, when I got my press, I pressed out the old bearings to try and keep the OEM hubs, which I still have. The inner bearing race stayed on the hub and the bearings came apart. Not surprised and it allowed be to see that water must've gotten into the bearings. They looked red, which I took to be from some rust. Not much, but enough to toast the bearings. But again, my current set up is A-ok.
Appreciate the info.

I actually ordered from Bluepit yesterday and got them today. I opted for a set with the Toyota hub but that sounds like it was overkill. I know that is a good price for all Toyota parts but it’s more than I ever spent on a hub before. Next time around I will do the Dorman hub option if I need another one. I hoping to put it on this weekend. I just picked up a Toyota CV dust seal since I never replaced that when I did my CVs a few months ago. I have a set of seals that came with my Napa axels but considering I spent so much money on the bearing I figured I would get an actual Toyota seal.
zguy1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 04:22 PM #29
alia176 alia176 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: East Mountains, NM
Posts: 1,054
alia176 will become famous soon enough alia176 will become famous soon enough
alia176 alia176 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: East Mountains, NM
Posts: 1,054
alia176 will become famous soon enough alia176 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zguy1 View Post
Appreciate the info.

I actually ordered from Bluepit yesterday and got them today. I opted for a set with the Toyota hub but that sounds like it was overkill. I know that is a good price for all Toyota parts but it’s more than I ever spent on a hub before. Next time around I will do the Dorman hub option if I need another one. I hoping to put it on this weekend. I just picked up a Toyota CV dust seal since I never replaced that when I did my CVs a few months ago. I have a set of seals that came with my Napa axels but considering I spent so much money on the bearing I figured I would get an actual Toyota seal.

I think you're going in the right direction, just buy and bolt on. I have a 30T press and did the press route but like the service tech said, putting a new bearing on an old hub doesn't really makes a whole bunch of sense. Yeah, you save some $$$ but not really an ideal situation.

I used to have Subarus and for those cars, I bought a mondo OTC wheel bearing kit with every conceivable adapter doohickeys and a massive "forcing" screw. The molded plastic box alone weighs around 50# and I bet I can put together adapters to separate bearings from the hubs but I didn't bother when I did the 4runner bearings.

Anyway, enjoy this project. If you happen to have a needle tip for your grease gun, you may be able to sneak some grease into the BJ boots by going under the metallic rings. Just a simple PM while you're in there.
__________________
2003 Sport V8 Icon 2" rear, Bilstein 6112 front with 700# king springs, Gibson cat back, Magnaflow cross pipe. OBA, DIY sliders, etc
1996 FZJ80 with whole bunch of stuff!
alia176 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 04:24 PM #30
Too Stroked's Avatar
Too Stroked Too Stroked is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 300
Too Stroked has a spectacular aura about Too Stroked has a spectacular aura about
Too Stroked Too Stroked is offline
Member
Too Stroked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 300
Too Stroked has a spectacular aura about Too Stroked has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by zguy1 View Post
Appreciate the info.

I actually ordered from Bluepit yesterday and got them today. I opted for a set with the Toyota hub but that sounds like it was overkill. I know that is a good price for all Toyota parts but itís more than I ever spent on a hub before. Next time around I will do the Dorman hub option if I need another one. I hoping to put it on this weekend. I just picked up a Toyota CV dust seal since I never replaced that when I did my CVs a few months ago. I have a set of seals that came with my Napa axels but considering I spent so much money on the bearing I figured I would get an actual Toyota seal.
The best bearing and hub set in the world won't last long if you don't replace what most likely took out the original bearing(s) - the seals. Good move!
Too Stroked is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aftermarket , bearings , replace , time , wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel bearing question? stecow 3rd gen T4Rs 8 11-28-2018 01:49 PM
Wheel Bearing question iAlex684 4th Gen T4Rs 7 07-05-2016 02:28 PM
Front wheel bearing question drmoreau 3rd gen T4Rs 2 10-22-2015 12:32 PM
wheel bearing question sky88s 3rd gen T4Rs 9 12-19-2011 02:07 AM
Wheel Bearing Question.... Tenn_volsfan56 3rd gen T4Rs 5 08-22-2011 05:41 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020