User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2021, 01:05 AM #1
joshik joshik is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Age: 42
Posts: 249
joshik will become famous soon enough
joshik joshik is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Age: 42
Posts: 249
joshik will become famous soon enough
Rear Shock Relocation?

Was pondering something. Is it possible to relocation the rear shock mount up by about 2"? Has anyone done this? Was searching around but couldn't find anyone selling a weld on mount or anything for the 4th gen. Seen some weld on hoops for the 3rd gen tho.
__________________
2003 4Runner Limited 4wd V8. JBA UCA, Dobinsons MRA Front Coilovers, Dobinsons MRA Long Travel rear. Cooper AT3 XLT 285/70R17

91 Ext Cab 4x4 Yota, black with 4" front IFS trailmaster lift, 3" Downey rear springs, Downey Rubicon extended shackles, and 2" body lift. 35" BFG M/T w/ 4.56. Centerforce II clutch, Rancho 5000s all around and Rancho traction bar, K&N Air filter, Flowmaster, ARB Rear Diff Air Locker, Custom "Mad Eyes" light covers, Extended Diff Breathers, Hella Vision Plus Headlights. [SOLD]
joshik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:16 PM #2
Inv4drZm's Avatar
Inv4drZm Inv4drZm is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas
Age: 26
Posts: 4,076
Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future
Inv4drZm Inv4drZm is online now
Senior Member
Inv4drZm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas
Age: 26
Posts: 4,076
Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future
3rd gens from the factory have inboard mounted shocks, so it makes sense there are aftermarket shock hoops for those trucks.

Anything is possible with a welder and some steel. The question is what problem is it trying to solve.

The only improvements I see from a raised shock mount is more uptravel at the sacrifice of less downtravel, or being able to fit a longer travel shock to get more downtravel and/or uptravel.

You will probably need to swap from a oem-style stem mount shock to a traditional eyelet mounted shock.
__________________
2005 4R Sport 4WD "The last of the V8s!" - Custom TIG'd SS Dual Exhaust - King 2.5" +2 LT. - ARB Front & Rear - 37's - Dana 60 - Build Thread
2005 Tundra 2WD Regular Cab V8 - Chopped Frame - Short Bed Swap
1977 Celica Liftback - LFX Swap - Build Thread
Inv4drZm is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:12 PM #3
alextmullis's Avatar
alextmullis alextmullis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 110
alextmullis is on a distinguished road
alextmullis alextmullis is offline
Member
alextmullis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 110
alextmullis is on a distinguished road
Disregard the fact that my shock lost all its oil but this is the best photo I have of my relocation at this time.

alextmullis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:59 PM #4
joshik joshik is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Age: 42
Posts: 249
joshik will become famous soon enough
joshik joshik is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Age: 42
Posts: 249
joshik will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inv4drZm View Post
3rd gens from the factory have inboard mounted shocks, so it makes sense there are aftermarket shock hoops for those trucks.

Anything is possible with a welder and some steel. The question is what problem is it trying to solve.

The only improvements I see from a raised shock mount is more uptravel at the sacrifice of less downtravel, or being able to fit a longer travel shock to get more downtravel and/or uptravel.

You will probably need to swap from a oem-style stem mount shock to a traditional eyelet mounted shock.
Cool. I was gonna reach out to someone I know that fabs a lot of hotrods and now jeeps.

The reason I want to do it is because I went with the long travel Dobinsons rear and don't like that I need to extend the bump stops by 2". I get why I need to and while I am not "losing" travel, I did lose up travel to gain down travel. I hit my bump stops (duros) often even while street driving when going over mildly aggressive dips even with the rear shocks LSC topped off.

Also, I don't think I'm taking advantage of the full down travel abilities of the LT shock anyways. When I was installing them, I had my 4r on stands and the rear axle at full droop and had my old Bilstein 5160s on. I took the billys off and it's not like the axle drooped any more... so the billys were not limiting my down travel but probably my OEM control arms. Also, when installing the LT shocks, it was a BIG PITA to have to compress the shock to get it in so I'm fairly confident that I'm not taking advantage of the full downtravel abilities of the shock.

So by relocating the upper mount up by about 2", that should alleviate the need for extended bump stops, provide more up travel and take advantage more of the shock's stroke capabilities.

Is my thinking sound?


Quote:
Originally Posted by alextmullis View Post
Disregard the fact that my shock lost all its oil but this is the best photo I have of my relocation at this time.


This is exactly what I was thinking... but I'd have to preserve the way the OEM mounts because I already have a shock. I totally think it could be done! Thx!
__________________
2003 4Runner Limited 4wd V8. JBA UCA, Dobinsons MRA Front Coilovers, Dobinsons MRA Long Travel rear. Cooper AT3 XLT 285/70R17

91 Ext Cab 4x4 Yota, black with 4" front IFS trailmaster lift, 3" Downey rear springs, Downey Rubicon extended shackles, and 2" body lift. 35" BFG M/T w/ 4.56. Centerforce II clutch, Rancho 5000s all around and Rancho traction bar, K&N Air filter, Flowmaster, ARB Rear Diff Air Locker, Custom "Mad Eyes" light covers, Extended Diff Breathers, Hella Vision Plus Headlights. [SOLD]
joshik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:39 PM #5
Inv4drZm's Avatar
Inv4drZm Inv4drZm is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas
Age: 26
Posts: 4,076
Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future
Inv4drZm Inv4drZm is online now
Senior Member
Inv4drZm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas
Age: 26
Posts: 4,076
Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future Inv4drZm has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshik View Post
Cool. I was gonna reach out to someone I know that fabs a lot of hotrods and now jeeps.

The reason I want to do it is because I went with the long travel Dobinsons rear and don't like that I need to extend the bump stops by 2". I get why I need to and while I am not "losing" travel, I did lose up travel to gain down travel. I hit my bump stops (duros) often even while street driving when going over mildly aggressive dips even with the rear shocks LSC topped off.

Also, I don't think I'm taking advantage of the full down travel abilities of the LT shock anyways. When I was installing them, I had my 4r on stands and the rear axle at full droop and had my old Bilstein 5160s on. I took the billys off and it's not like the axle drooped any more... so the billys were not limiting my down travel but probably my OEM control arms. Also, when installing the LT shocks, it was a BIG PITA to have to compress the shock to get it in so I'm fairly confident that I'm not taking advantage of the full downtravel abilities of the shock.

So by relocating the upper mount up by about 2", that should alleviate the need for extended bump stops, provide more up travel and take advantage more of the shock's stroke capabilities.

Is my thinking sound?
Sounds like you're on the right track. Keep in mind if you go up in tire size you might want more clearance between the tires and body putting you back to where you started.

Another way to gain uptravel is to increase your ride height with taller springs. I'm assuming you have Dobinson springs, not sure on their lift height but if they're only 2" you could try 3" lift springs.
__________________
2005 4R Sport 4WD "The last of the V8s!" - Custom TIG'd SS Dual Exhaust - King 2.5" +2 LT. - ARB Front & Rear - 37's - Dana 60 - Build Thread
2005 Tundra 2WD Regular Cab V8 - Chopped Frame - Short Bed Swap
1977 Celica Liftback - LFX Swap - Build Thread
Inv4drZm is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:43 PM #6
joshik joshik is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Age: 42
Posts: 249
joshik will become famous soon enough
joshik joshik is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Age: 42
Posts: 249
joshik will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inv4drZm View Post
Sounds like you're on the right track. Keep in mind if you go up in tire size you might want more clearance between the tires and body putting you back to where you started.

Another way to gain uptravel is to increase your ride height with taller springs. I'm assuming you have Dobinson springs, not sure on their lift height but if they're only 2" you could try 3" lift springs.
I'm running 285s + 1.25" spacers and most likely won't go bigger.

I did think about longer springs... but I'm already at a decent rake. I do have a little more room to lift on the front Dobs tho.

What I might try first is ditching the Duros as they are 5.25" long and go with the OEM bumps + 2" steel tube. It will be harsher when I do hit, but at least I won't hit it as often and let the shock do its job for longer.
__________________
2003 4Runner Limited 4wd V8. JBA UCA, Dobinsons MRA Front Coilovers, Dobinsons MRA Long Travel rear. Cooper AT3 XLT 285/70R17

91 Ext Cab 4x4 Yota, black with 4" front IFS trailmaster lift, 3" Downey rear springs, Downey Rubicon extended shackles, and 2" body lift. 35" BFG M/T w/ 4.56. Centerforce II clutch, Rancho 5000s all around and Rancho traction bar, K&N Air filter, Flowmaster, ARB Rear Diff Air Locker, Custom "Mad Eyes" light covers, Extended Diff Breathers, Hella Vision Plus Headlights. [SOLD]
joshik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:22 AM #7
aemravan aemravan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 649
aemravan is a splendid one to behold aemravan is a splendid one to behold aemravan is a splendid one to behold aemravan is a splendid one to behold aemravan is a splendid one to behold aemravan is a splendid one to behold aemravan is a splendid one to behold aemravan is a splendid one to behold
aemravan aemravan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 649
aemravan is a splendid one to behold aemravan is a splendid one to behold aemravan is a splendid one to behold aemravan is a splendid one to behold aemravan is a splendid one to behold aemravan is a splendid one to behold aemravan is a splendid one to behold aemravan is a splendid one to behold
The bump stop is there to first prevent the shock from being over compressed at full bump first and foremost, and can also be used to help with the tire rubbing at full stuff...

When you're on your bump stop, do you still have shock up-travel left? And also do you still have tire clearance to the door/flare? If you still have shock travel left AND you have tire clearance why not look at reducing the amount of bump-stop extension you are using? In this scenario moving your shock mount higher won't keep you from hitting your bump stop any sooner? If the shock is not yet bottomed out it sounds like going through the exercise of moving up the shock mount higher is kind of pointless.

As far as down-travel, if you're still on factory links there is only so much droop you'll get out of them. Going to custom, adjustable rear links with heims on both ends definitely freed up some binding and allowed to get more downtravel on mine.
aemravan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mount , rear , relocation , searching , shock

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear lower shock mount relocation OffKamber 5th gen T4Rs 4 08-31-2021 04:25 PM
Outboard Shock Relocation - Anyone Running One Yet? bmwahba46 3rd gen T4Rs 10 06-30-2021 08:11 PM
Rear Camera Relocation Instructions WanderlostOverland 5th gen T4Rs 4 08-22-2018 06:38 PM
Shock Relocation MaineT4R 3rd gen T4Rs 24 06-06-2015 08:37 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020