User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2023, 01:38 PM #1
thight's Avatar
thight thight is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 50
thight is on a distinguished road
thight thight is offline
Member
thight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 50
thight is on a distinguished road
Brake Pedal to the Floor

Hey there everyone and thank you in advance for your help!

I have searched and read a ton of threads, but I can't find anything specific on my problem.

I replaced all my brake lines with SS lines (even extended rear lines) and the install was nice and simple. Once the lines were on, it was time to bleed the lines. The rears bleed no problem and my pedal was becoming stiffer. As I started on the front right (passenger) my brake pedal instantly hit the floor and now it has zero pressure.

Even if I pump the brakes 20/30 times and tried to bleed them, nothing happens and the pedal continues to hit the floor. I can hear the booster solenoid kicking on, but the stiff pedal isn't coming back what so ever. The ABS, VSC and traction control lights are coming on and the ABS is beeping. The brake fluid was pretty dirty, so is there maybe something clogged somewhere?

I tried retracing my steps and going from furthest back to the front and nothing is helping. Am I missing something? Should the cap be on or off when bleeding to create vacuum/pressure?

I seriously though this would take 2 hours tops and I've been stuck since yesterday!
__________________
2004 SR5 V8 (Betty White) | 5100's | Toytec Front Coils | Toytec SuperFlex Rear | Spidertrax | Limited Wheels | 275/70/18
thight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 05:55 PM #2
T4r.Chris's Avatar
T4r.Chris T4r.Chris is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 36
T4r.Chris is on a distinguished road
T4r.Chris T4r.Chris is offline
Member
T4r.Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 36
T4r.Chris is on a distinguished road
Brake Pedal to the Floor

If it was all working fine before the new lines and you were swapping lines as you removed them a blockage is minimal.

Noticing any leaks with the new lines? Iíve always had the cap off when doing brakes. Always start farthest from master cylinder (RR, RL, FR, FL). Do you have someone watching the cylinder when youíre bleeding them? If the fluid drops too low youíll just be adding more air causing that sinking pedal.

***edited***

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2005 4Runner SR5 - Build Thread- https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-g...ld-thread.html

Last edited by T4r.Chris; 09-04-2023 at 06:00 PM.
T4r.Chris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 10:02 AM #3
thight's Avatar
thight thight is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 50
thight is on a distinguished road
thight thight is offline
Member
thight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 50
thight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4r.Chris View Post
If it was all working fine before the new lines and you were swapping lines as you removed them a blockage is minimal.

Noticing any leaks with the new lines? Iíve always had the cap off when doing brakes. Always start farthest from master cylinder (RR, RL, FR, FL). Do you have someone watching the cylinder when youíre bleeding them? If the fluid drops too low youíll just be adding more air causing that sinking pedal.

***edited***

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haven't noticed any leaks as all tires are off so I can inspect as the "pumping" is going on. Doing one or two releases of air and then checking MC to make sure fluid is at appropriate level. Everything was fine till the front brake, I just don't get it...
__________________
2004 SR5 V8 (Betty White) | 5100's | Toytec Front Coils | Toytec SuperFlex Rear | Spidertrax | Limited Wheels | 275/70/18
thight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 02:35 PM #4
TrueNorth4Runner's Avatar
TrueNorth4Runner TrueNorth4Runner is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 21
TrueNorth4Runner is on a distinguished road
TrueNorth4Runner TrueNorth4Runner is offline
Junior Member
TrueNorth4Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 21
TrueNorth4Runner is on a distinguished road
Not sure if this will help, but when I did the brake bleed in my last vehicle (1997 GMC Safari....don't laugh... it was low mile and AWD! haha), I had the same. Did all 4 corners, changed lines, went to bleed, rear went fine, front went DEAD. And stayed dead.

Turned out, it just took me adding more fluid to the reservoir and just pumping like a madman (more than 50 pumps) lol. Eventually it caught on and started building pressure. Seems that removing the lines really bled a bunch of fluid and let the air in.

So maybe before trying anything else, take the cap off the master, see how much fluid is there (add some if need be) and keep pumping.

On a side note, I do believe I still had someone working the bleeder when I did that.

So essentially *bleeder closed* - PUMP PUMP PUMP - *have my dad open bleeder, thought nothing happened* - Repeat. Just to get any air out and trying to get the fluid to displace empty space

I KNOW this all seems really "duh, obvious" but just MAYBE you didn't check fluid and give it enough patience/pumps?

Unless there is some trick to bleeding T4R calipers, but I don't think so?
__________________
2008 4Runner SR5 - Bone Stock for now!
TrueNorth4Runner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 03:16 PM #5
MikeinNH67's Avatar
MikeinNH67 MikeinNH67 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,062
Real Name: Mike
MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice
MikeinNH67 MikeinNH67 is offline
Senior Member
MikeinNH67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,062
Real Name: Mike
MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice
Sounds like you may have air trapped in the master cylinder. When bleeding, is the level dropping and fluid coming out the brake cylinder you are opening?
__________________
Mike

03 4runner Limited
1GR-FE V6 w/199k miles
MikeinNH67 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 05:47 PM #6
T4r.Chris's Avatar
T4r.Chris T4r.Chris is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 36
T4r.Chris is on a distinguished road
T4r.Chris T4r.Chris is offline
Member
T4r.Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 36
T4r.Chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thight View Post
Haven't noticed any leaks as all tires are off so I can inspect as the "pumping" is going on. Doing one or two releases of air and then checking MC to make sure fluid is at appropriate level. Everything was fine till the front brake, I just don't get it...

No leaks is good.

Iíve always left my master cylinder full when bleeding brakes, even though it may look good after doesnít mean as youíre pumping it is sucking dry. Wrap some towels around the MC fill her up close to top and pump! Probably just a massive air bubble stuck in the new lines. Once youíre done get a fluid pump or something to pull the excess from the MC.

Keep us updated!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2005 4Runner SR5 - Build Thread- https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-g...ld-thread.html
T4r.Chris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 06:43 PM #7
thight's Avatar
thight thight is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 50
thight is on a distinguished road
thight thight is offline
Member
thight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 50
thight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4r.Chris View Post
No leaks is good.

Iíve always left my master cylinder full when bleeding brakes, even though it may look good after doesnít mean as youíre pumping it is sucking dry. Wrap some towels around the MC fill her up close to top and pump! Probably just a massive air bubble stuck in the new lines. Once youíre done get a fluid pump or something to pull the excess from the MC.

Keep us updated!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure how to tag all that responded. But I figured it out. Turned out to be a HUGE air bubble in the line on the front driver side. Sounded like a firework when the air was being released!

But to solve it I went very slowly and was extremely thorough. So happy to have her back on the ground and man what a difference in pedal feel. Super firm and I can really lock up the brakes if needed. The fluid was SO dirty so I'm sure my lines are very happy with all the new fluid running through them too.

Thanks again everyone!
__________________
2004 SR5 V8 (Betty White) | 5100's | Toytec Front Coils | Toytec SuperFlex Rear | Spidertrax | Limited Wheels | 275/70/18
thight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 06:45 PM #8
thight's Avatar
thight thight is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 50
thight is on a distinguished road
thight thight is offline
Member
thight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 50
thight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth4Runner View Post
Not sure if this will help, but when I did the brake bleed in my last vehicle (1997 GMC Safari....don't laugh... it was low mile and AWD! haha), I had the same. Did all 4 corners, changed lines, went to bleed, rear went fine, front went DEAD. And stayed dead.

Turned out, it just took me adding more fluid to the reservoir and just pumping like a madman (more than 50 pumps) lol. Eventually it caught on and started building pressure. Seems that removing the lines really bled a bunch of fluid and let the air in.

So maybe before trying anything else, take the cap off the master, see how much fluid is there (add some if need be) and keep pumping.

On a side note, I do believe I still had someone working the bleeder when I did that.

So essentially *bleeder closed* - PUMP PUMP PUMP - *have my dad open bleeder, thought nothing happened* - Repeat. Just to get any air out and trying to get the fluid to displace empty space

I KNOW this all seems really "duh, obvious" but just MAYBE you didn't check fluid and give it enough patience/pumps?

Unless there is some trick to bleeding T4R calipers, but I don't think so?
It was definitely the "duh, obvious." Wasn't patient enough and just had a HUGE air bubble on the driver front. Thanks for pitching in on the mystery!
__________________
2004 SR5 V8 (Betty White) | 5100's | Toytec Front Coils | Toytec SuperFlex Rear | Spidertrax | Limited Wheels | 275/70/18
thight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 06:46 PM #9
thight's Avatar
thight thight is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 50
thight is on a distinguished road
thight thight is offline
Member
thight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 50
thight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinNH67 View Post
Sounds like you may have air trapped in the master cylinder. When bleeding, is the level dropping and fluid coming out the brake cylinder you are opening?
Figured it out! Just a massive air bubble in the line. Just needed patience and 100 more pumps!
__________________
2004 SR5 V8 (Betty White) | 5100's | Toytec Front Coils | Toytec SuperFlex Rear | Spidertrax | Limited Wheels | 275/70/18
thight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 09:54 AM #10
TrueNorth4Runner's Avatar
TrueNorth4Runner TrueNorth4Runner is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 21
TrueNorth4Runner is on a distinguished road
TrueNorth4Runner TrueNorth4Runner is offline
Junior Member
TrueNorth4Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 21
TrueNorth4Runner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thight View Post
It was definitely the "duh, obvious." Wasn't patient enough and just had a HUGE air bubble on the driver front. Thanks for pitching in on the mystery!
Yay! I'm useful! ;) hahah

I'm happy you got it figured out!
__________________
2008 4Runner SR5 - Bone Stock for now!
TrueNorth4Runner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bleed , brake , floor , lines , pedal

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brake pedal to the floor hallj22 3rd gen T4Rs 25 05-22-2017 04:38 PM
Brake pedal to the floor - still need help Paramedic 3rd gen T4Rs 6 02-04-2017 04:32 PM
Brake pedal goes to the floor rubleblake Problems & Warranty Issues 1 12-14-2014 07:47 AM
Brake Pedal goes to the Floor achha64 3rd gen T4Rs 2 11-28-2014 10:19 AM
Brake pedal goes all the way to floor, etc. ThePizzaGuy 3rd gen T4Rs 7 01-18-2013 09:31 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020