User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2024, 08:17 PM #1
Appalascadian Appalascadian is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Seattle
Posts: 18
Appalascadian is on a distinguished road
Appalascadian Appalascadian is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Seattle
Posts: 18
Appalascadian is on a distinguished road
Rear Window won't roll all the way up

I rolled my back window down the other day and when rolling it up, I noticed it was slower than I've ever seen it. When it got about 3/4 the way up, it stopped. If I try to raise it any more, it goes back down to about half way. Does anyone have any information or experience on this issue?
I have searched a bit and found threads about completely non-functioning windows, but nothing that seems to match my issue. I saw one suggestion to lubricate the tracks, which I will try, but I don't have high hopes.
Appalascadian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 10:07 PM #2
ArthurKotb's Avatar
ArthurKotb ArthurKotb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 457
Real Name: Rich
ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about
ArthurKotb ArthurKotb is offline
Member
ArthurKotb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 457
Real Name: Rich
ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about
Is the window binding on the rubber seal, the one around the sides and top? That comes out fairly easily. I removed and replaced mine with a new one in about 15 minutes, no sealer/glue, per the parts department. You might try removing it and see if that helps. At least check the rubber as you raise the window, maybe push on the edges and see if the window goes up further.

There are several things that could be the problem; motor dragging, poor ground, poor power connection, binding in the channel, etc.
__________________
Rich
2004 V8 4Runner 140K+ miles
Kentucky
ArthurKotb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:54 AM #3
daprotege5 daprotege5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Altamonte Springs
Posts: 246
daprotege5 will become famous soon enough daprotege5 will become famous soon enough
daprotege5 daprotege5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Altamonte Springs
Posts: 246
daprotege5 will become famous soon enough daprotege5 will become famous soon enough
lubing the tracks helps, when i replaced my motor was hard going all the way up the first couple times, so i lubbed the track and up and down a couple times and haven't had issues since.
daprotege5 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 12:44 PM #4
SocalSam SocalSam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: SFV, Calif.
Posts: 146
SocalSam will become famous soon enough
SocalSam SocalSam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: SFV, Calif.
Posts: 146
SocalSam will become famous soon enough
Toyota window and regulator are super easy to maintain. There are no rivets and there is plenty of room inside door.
SocalSam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 05:15 PM #5
MikeinNH67's Avatar
MikeinNH67 MikeinNH67 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,190
Real Name: Mike
MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice
MikeinNH67 MikeinNH67 is offline
Senior Member
MikeinNH67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,190
Real Name: Mike
MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice
You'll have to take the cover off to see what is going on. Probably corrosion or lack of lube. Don't force it or you may blow the cables off.
__________________
Mike

03 4runner Limited
1GR-FE V6 w/199k miles
MikeinNH67 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 09:13 PM #6
Appalascadian Appalascadian is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Seattle
Posts: 18
Appalascadian is on a distinguished road
Appalascadian Appalascadian is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Seattle
Posts: 18
Appalascadian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKotb View Post
Is the window binding on the rubber seal, the one around the sides and top? That comes out fairly easily. I removed and replaced mine with a new one in about 15 minutes, no sealer/glue, per the parts department. You might try removing it and see if that helps. At least check the rubber as you raise the window, maybe push on the edges and see if the window goes up further.

There are several things that could be the problem; motor dragging, poor ground, poor power connection, binding in the channel, etc.
I'm not sure. I tried using silicone lube last night and didn't get much change. I got maybe another inch out of it and it repeats the whole rolling back down thing. I did take the bottom seal off and had no effect, but that is just the brushes part, really.
Appalascadian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 11:19 AM #7
ArthurKotb's Avatar
ArthurKotb ArthurKotb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 457
Real Name: Rich
ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about
ArthurKotb ArthurKotb is offline
Member
ArthurKotb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 457
Real Name: Rich
ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalascadian View Post
I'm not sure. I tried using silicone lube last night and didn't get much change. I got maybe another inch out of it and it repeats the whole rolling back down thing. I did take the bottom seal off and had no effect, but that is just the brushes part, really.
You'll have to open it up then, see what the problem is. I have not opened mine but I understand you remove the cover for the strap and unscrew to remove the strap. Then you use a plastic tool to pop off the cover and slide forward. That gives you access to the insides.

I looked for a video but couldn't find a decent one. This one will show you how to access the area: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moJ2Qg24mDo
__________________
Rich
2004 V8 4Runner 140K+ miles
Kentucky
ArthurKotb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 11:48 PM #8
Appalascadian Appalascadian is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Seattle
Posts: 18
Appalascadian is on a distinguished road
Appalascadian Appalascadian is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Seattle
Posts: 18
Appalascadian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKotb View Post
You'll have to open it up then, see what the problem is. I have not opened mine but I understand you remove the cover for the strap and unscrew to remove the strap. Then you use a plastic tool to pop off the cover and slide forward. That gives you access to the insides.

I looked for a video but couldn't find a decent one. This one will show you how to access the area: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moJ2Qg24mDo
Thank you for the link. I (and I assume every one else) have a panel next to my strap, but it just leads to that membrane. Didn't know what to do with that, so I put it on hold for that moment. But now that I see how to take it off, hopefully I can get it going this weekend. A window that wont roll up isn't ideal in the PNW winter.

Last edited by Appalascadian; 01-11-2024 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
Appalascadian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 11:26 AM #9
ArthurKotb's Avatar
ArthurKotb ArthurKotb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 457
Real Name: Rich
ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about
ArthurKotb ArthurKotb is offline
Member
ArthurKotb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 457
Real Name: Rich
ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalascadian View Post
Thank you for the link. I (and I assume every one else) have a panel next to my strap, but it just leads to that membrane. Didn't know what to do with that, so I put it on hold for that moment. But now that I see how to take it off, hopefully I can get it going this weekend. A window that wont roll up isn't ideal in the PNW winter.
I have 2 kids in Oregon and there's snow predicted for both areas. One has already shoveled twice and more is coming. So no, you don't want a window that won't roll up; not anywhere this time of year, even Florida.

I have not had to get into that area but my latch is acting up, locking when I open the door. I have to get something to pry the latch open again so I can close it. I don't know if it's the mechanism or the power line that feeds it but something is causing it to close the latch as soon as it's opened.

To get to everything you'll have to removed the gray plastic that covers that hatch, then you peel back that craft paper cover. Usually the sticky stuff will let you reseal after you've fixed it, just push it back in place.

I would just leave it alone until warmer weather. You can probably push up on the window while turning the key to the right and help it go up to the top.

Back in the 50-70s the station wagons had roll up windows. Some were electric, some were crank up. None made a good seal. The exhaust pipes would end at or behind the back tire(s) so the exhaust didn't come into the cabin. Seemed like a good idea.

Good luck. Post again when you've made progress
__________________
Rich
2004 V8 4Runner 140K+ miles
Kentucky
ArthurKotb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 04:47 PM #10
MikeinNH67's Avatar
MikeinNH67 MikeinNH67 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,190
Real Name: Mike
MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice
MikeinNH67 MikeinNH67 is offline
Senior Member
MikeinNH67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,190
Real Name: Mike
MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKotb View Post
You can probably push up on the window while turning the key to the right and help it go up to the top.
This is what I was thinking if you want to wait until spring. Push the window upwards wearing some rubbery type of glove that grabs then turn the hatch key lock to up. The only issue with this is you might find it totally frozen in the spring.
__________________
Mike

03 4runner Limited
1GR-FE V6 w/199k miles
MikeinNH67 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 04:51 PM #11
SocalSam SocalSam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: SFV, Calif.
Posts: 146
SocalSam will become famous soon enough
SocalSam SocalSam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: SFV, Calif.
Posts: 146
SocalSam will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKotb View Post
I have 2 kids in Oregon and there's snow predicted for both areas. One has already shoveled twice and more is coming. So no, you don't want a window that won't roll up; not anywhere this time of year, even Florida.

I have not had to get into that area but my latch is acting up, locking when I open the door. I have to get something to pry the latch open again so I can close it. I don't know if it's the mechanism or the power line that feeds it but something is causing it to close the latch as soon as it's opened.

To get to everything you'll have to removed the gray plastic that covers that hatch, then you peel back that craft paper cover. Usually the sticky stuff will let you reseal after you've fixed it, just push it back in place.

I would just leave it alone until warmer weather. You can probably push up on the window while turning the key to the right and help it go up to the top.

Back in the 50-70s the station wagons had roll up windows. Some were electric, some were crank up. None made a good seal. The exhaust pipes would end at or behind the back tire(s) so the exhaust didn't come into the cabin. Seemed like a good idea.

Good luck. Post again when you've made progress
Hatch problems are sometimes as easy as reversing the orientation of the catch loop. The side facing the latch wears out and does not release. Reversing the catch presents the clean side to the latch. Problem usually solved.
SocalSam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 04:41 PM #12
ArthurKotb's Avatar
ArthurKotb ArthurKotb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 457
Real Name: Rich
ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about
ArthurKotb ArthurKotb is offline
Member
ArthurKotb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 457
Real Name: Rich
ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalSam View Post
Hatch problems are sometimes as easy as reversing the orientation of the catch loop. The side facing the latch wears out and does not release. Reversing the catch presents the clean side to the latch. Problem usually solved.
I saw a previous post of yours (I think it was yours) and have it in mind when I get around to looking into my problem, or when it gets impossible to do the work around, whichever is first.

When I press the latch release it opens and then the motor runs again like I closed the hatch and the latch locks. I have to get something, usually a screwdriver, and pry on the latch while pressing the latch open button. It doesn't sound mechanical. It sounds like the sensor thinks I've closed the door, so it latches. I'm thinking it's more electrical but I'm open to suggestions and opinions.

I'm traveling right now so I'm not going to mess with it for fear that it will seize with all my fishing and kayak gear in the cargo area.
__________________
Rich
2004 V8 4Runner 140K+ miles
Kentucky
ArthurKotb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 09:57 AM #13
SocalSam SocalSam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: SFV, Calif.
Posts: 146
SocalSam will become famous soon enough
SocalSam SocalSam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: SFV, Calif.
Posts: 146
SocalSam will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKotb View Post
I saw a previous post of yours (I think it was yours) and have it in mind when I get around to looking into my problem, or when it gets impossible to do the work around, whichever is first.

When I press the latch release it opens and then the motor runs again like I closed the hatch and the latch locks. I have to get something, usually a screwdriver, and pry on the latch while pressing the latch open button. It doesn't sound mechanical. It sounds like the sensor thinks I've closed the door, so it latches. I'm thinking it's more electrical but I'm open to suggestions and opinions.

I'm traveling right now so I'm not going to mess with it for fear that it will seize with all my fishing and kayak gear in the cargo area.
That is exactly how my latch behaved. Latch motor would run but not release and then reverse run back into locked position. Catch loop was worn and corroded from 20 years of operation. The opposite side is pristine. Flipped it around, problem solved.
SocalSam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 11:00 PM #14
speechless123 speechless123 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: ORLANDO
Posts: 13
speechless123 is on a distinguished road
speechless123 speechless123 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: ORLANDO
Posts: 13
speechless123 is on a distinguished road
i had this issue a while ago, it ended up being the rubber seal rubbing on the window
speechless123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 12:48 AM #15
Appalascadian Appalascadian is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Seattle
Posts: 18
Appalascadian is on a distinguished road
Appalascadian Appalascadian is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Seattle
Posts: 18
Appalascadian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKotb View Post
Good luck. Post again when you've made progress
Well, I drove my wife's car for a bit, since it's been rainy lately, but I seemed to have lucked my way out of the issue. When I went back to it, for some reason the battery had died. Likely from me fiddling with the window without actually starting it. After we jumped me back off, I gave it a go. It went back down, but from the all the way down position, it went all the way up.
I can't say if that actually FIXES the problem for good, but for the season, I need it closed. So, it effectively solves my problem. I'm going to take the win.
Appalascadian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
back , completely , issue , non-functioning , window

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear window won't roll down collin 3rd gen T4Rs 37 04-04-2024 11:37 AM
Is there a way to roll down the rear window from outside? Rancho5 3rd gen T4Rs 28 11-05-2018 07:38 PM
Why the roll down rear window? Red88TopangaCa Classic T4Rs 17 06-08-2014 03:35 PM
**Rear roll down window** NorthWestManiac 3rd gen T4Rs 20 06-07-2014 06:04 PM
Rear window won't roll up. DogFace 3rd gen T4Rs 1 01-02-2013 02:50 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020