User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2024, 07:37 AM #1
jreask's Avatar
jreask jreask is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: missouri
Posts: 654
jreask is on a distinguished road
jreask jreask is offline
Member
jreask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: missouri
Posts: 654
jreask is on a distinguished road
Timing belt help

After removing the belt on my 2008 V8, the LH cam jumped about 40 degrees. Not sure which way it jumped, clockwise or counterclockwise. I was able to turn the left cam back to the mark but it wasnít easy. It seems like this engine is hard to turn with a ratchet anyway. Iím 66 years old and it was tough to turn to TDC. Was it ok to turn the LH cam counterclockwise back to the mark? After I installed the WP, timing belt, etc I rotated to TDC and the cams both line up with the original marks now, not the T marks. The belt is in the correct position on the crank sprocket. Any harm turning the LH cam back to the mark? Just want to be sure before I start it up.
jreask is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 08:52 AM #2
rdruss's Avatar
rdruss rdruss is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: illinois
Posts: 1,654
Real Name: Ron
rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold
rdruss rdruss is offline
Senior Member
rdruss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: illinois
Posts: 1,654
Real Name: Ron
rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreask View Post
After removing the belt on my 2008 V8, the LH cam jumped about 40 degrees. Not sure which way it jumped, clockwise or counterclockwise. I was able to turn the left cam back to the mark but it wasnít easy. It seems like this engine is hard to turn with a ratchet anyway. Iím 66 years old and it was tough to turn to TDC. Was it ok to turn the LH cam counterclockwise back to the mark? After I installed the WP, timing belt, etc I rotated to TDC and the cams both line up with the original marks now, not the T marks. The belt is in the correct position on the crank sprocket. Any harm turning the LH cam back to the mark? Just want to be sure before I start it up.
You really have no choice, the sprockets have to be in the correct positions when the timing belt is installed and it sounds like you did it correctly. It's normal for a cam to jump position after the belt is removed and I think that's why it's suggested to turn the engine so the cam sprocket marks align with the "T" position on the cover before removing the belt. I haven't done the timing belt on my 4Runner, but did my V6 Highlander and very similar. Someone with the V8 experience will chime in I'm sure.
__________________
2003 Limited, V8, AWD. K&N, Dobinson IMS/FJ springs,, SPC UCA, Super Pro bushings in front LCA and in all rear control arms, Michelin 265/65R17 LTX/Defenders, stock wheels with homemade center caps, Stop Tech slotted rotors w/Posi Quiet pads all around, spare tire relocated to inside cargo area.
rdruss is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 09:35 AM #3
jreask's Avatar
jreask jreask is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: missouri
Posts: 654
jreask is on a distinguished road
jreask jreask is offline
Member
jreask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: missouri
Posts: 654
jreask is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdruss View Post
You really have no choice, the sprockets have to be in the correct positions when the timing belt is installed and it sounds like you did it correctly. It's normal for a cam to jump position after the belt is removed and I think that's why it's suggested to turn the engine so the cam sprocket marks align with the "T" position on the cover before removing the belt. I haven't done the timing belt on my 4Runner, but did my V6 Highlander and very similar. Someone with the V8 experience will chime in I'm sure.
This engine was really hard to rotate even with the old belt on. The LH cam was hard to move back. Just concerned that itís ok to start.
jreask is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 10:06 AM #4
jreask's Avatar
jreask jreask is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: missouri
Posts: 654
jreask is on a distinguished road
jreask jreask is offline
Member
jreask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: missouri
Posts: 654
jreask is on a distinguished road
Just wondering if it is possible to turn the sprocket without the cam turning?

I want to be 100% before I start it. Everything lines up on the marks and the crankshaft correctly. It seemed like the cam was hard to turn, almost impossible and then suddenly it was moveable. I am confused.

Thanks for your help.

JR
jreask is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 12:53 PM #5
jreask's Avatar
jreask jreask is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: missouri
Posts: 654
jreask is on a distinguished road
jreask jreask is offline
Member
jreask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: missouri
Posts: 654
jreask is on a distinguished road
Anyone? I donít know which way the LH can spun. Could it possibly spin counterclockwise 300 degrees?
jreask is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 07:36 PM #6
rdruss's Avatar
rdruss rdruss is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: illinois
Posts: 1,654
Real Name: Ron
rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold
rdruss rdruss is offline
Senior Member
rdruss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: illinois
Posts: 1,654
Real Name: Ron
rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreask View Post
This engine was really hard to rotate even with the old belt on. The LH cam was hard to move back. Just concerned that itís ok to start.
Hard to turn because your turning against valve spring pressure and That's why it jumped, one cam lobe right near it's peak open and it tends to spring back. If you rotate the engine by hand through a few complete revolutions now that you have the timing belt on and are comfortable all marks are lined up you should be good. My Highlander did the same thing, and I did the same as you, and when I went to start it, it started immediately and ran perfect.
__________________
2003 Limited, V8, AWD. K&N, Dobinson IMS/FJ springs,, SPC UCA, Super Pro bushings in front LCA and in all rear control arms, Michelin 265/65R17 LTX/Defenders, stock wheels with homemade center caps, Stop Tech slotted rotors w/Posi Quiet pads all around, spare tire relocated to inside cargo area.
rdruss is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 08:50 PM #7
jreask's Avatar
jreask jreask is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: missouri
Posts: 654
jreask is on a distinguished road
jreask jreask is offline
Member
jreask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: missouri
Posts: 654
jreask is on a distinguished road
I turned the engine without the plugs in and it was fairly easy to turn. There were some inconsistencies but it never got “hard” to turn. All marks are lined up perfectly. Is there any way to absolutely tell if the timing is correct?
jreask is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 11:32 PM #8
AuSeeker AuSeeker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,773
Real Name: Skip
AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future
AuSeeker AuSeeker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,773
Real Name: Skip
AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreask View Post
I turned the engine without the plugs in and it was fairly easy to turn. There were some inconsistencies but it never got ďhardĒ to turn. All marks are lined up perfectly. Is there any way to absolutely tell if the timing is correct?
The cam that moved will be right as long as you got it back on the timing mark, the cam and the sprocket move together, not separately i.e. as one, so that means if you get the sprocket back on the timing mark then the cam will also be in the correct position.
__________________
2004 Limited V8
AuSeeker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 11:59 PM #9
jreask's Avatar
jreask jreask is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: missouri
Posts: 654
jreask is on a distinguished road
jreask jreask is offline
Member
jreask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: missouri
Posts: 654
jreask is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuSeeker View Post
The cam that moved will be right as long as you got it back on the timing mark, the cam and the sprocket move together, not separately i.e. as one, so that means if you get the sprocket back on the timing mark then the cam will also be in the correct position.
I guess I was overthinking it. One revolution is one revolution whether clockwise or counterclockwise? As long as the cam timing mark is correct I donít have a problem. Thanks everyone.
jreask is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 08:24 AM #10
rdruss's Avatar
rdruss rdruss is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: illinois
Posts: 1,654
Real Name: Ron
rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold
rdruss rdruss is offline
Senior Member
rdruss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: illinois
Posts: 1,654
Real Name: Ron
rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreask View Post
I turned the engine without the plugs in and it was fairly easy to turn. There were some inconsistencies but it never got ďhardĒ to turn. All marks are lined up perfectly. Is there any way to absolutely tell if the timing is correct?
The cam would not spin 300 degrees once timing belt removed.
One way to check if everything is correct involves removing the valve covers and going through the valve clearance sequence.
The cylinders are numbered 1-3-5-7 front to rear on driver side and 2-4-6-8 front to rear on passenger side.
If you remove the covers you should be able to check #1 both intake and exhaust, then rotate the engine 360 degrees and should be able to check #6 and #3 intake and exhaust. If that checks out, you are in time on both banks.
Checking the clearance on these cylinders means a feeler gauge of .002" will slide under these cam lobes and between the valve spring cap beneath the lobe.
__________________
2003 Limited, V8, AWD. K&N, Dobinson IMS/FJ springs,, SPC UCA, Super Pro bushings in front LCA and in all rear control arms, Michelin 265/65R17 LTX/Defenders, stock wheels with homemade center caps, Stop Tech slotted rotors w/Posi Quiet pads all around, spare tire relocated to inside cargo area.
rdruss is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 10:14 AM #11
jreask's Avatar
jreask jreask is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: missouri
Posts: 654
jreask is on a distinguished road
jreask jreask is offline
Member
jreask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: missouri
Posts: 654
jreask is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdruss View Post
The cam would not spin 300 degrees once timing belt removed.
One way to check if everything is correct involves removing the valve covers and going through the valve clearance sequence.
The cylinders are numbered 1-3-5-7 front to rear on driver side and 2-4-6-8 front to rear on passenger side.
If you remove the covers you should be able to check #1 both intake and exhaust, then rotate the engine 360 degrees and should be able to check #6 and #3 intake and exhaust. If that checks out, you are in time on both banks.
Checking the clearance on these cylinders means a feeler gauge of .002" will slide under these cam lobes and between the valve spring cap beneath the lobe.
Thanks for that. I think itís ok now. The engine turns freely with the plugs out. Everything lines up perfectly. The notch on the crank is on the dot and the cams are on the mark. Am I missing anything? Thanks again.
jreask is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 02:00 PM #12
jreask's Avatar
jreask jreask is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: missouri
Posts: 654
jreask is on a distinguished road
jreask jreask is offline
Member
jreask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: missouri
Posts: 654
jreask is on a distinguished road
I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has helped me with this project. I love to work on my 4Runner V8. Sometimes I need some help and T4R is always there to help. Itís a great forum. Thanks again everybody!!
jreask is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 08:42 PM #13
rdruss's Avatar
rdruss rdruss is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: illinois
Posts: 1,654
Real Name: Ron
rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold
rdruss rdruss is offline
Senior Member
rdruss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: illinois
Posts: 1,654
Real Name: Ron
rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreask View Post
Thanks for that. I think itís ok now. The engine turns freely with the plugs out. Everything lines up perfectly. The notch on the crank is on the dot and the cams are on the mark. Am I missing anything? Thanks again.
I think you're good, start her up!
__________________
2003 Limited, V8, AWD. K&N, Dobinson IMS/FJ springs,, SPC UCA, Super Pro bushings in front LCA and in all rear control arms, Michelin 265/65R17 LTX/Defenders, stock wheels with homemade center caps, Stop Tech slotted rotors w/Posi Quiet pads all around, spare tire relocated to inside cargo area.
rdruss is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
back , belt , cam , mark , turn

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3rd Gen Timing Marks for Timing Belt Replacement FTW1996 3rd gen T4Rs 4 10-01-2015 04:00 PM
Timing Belt Tensioner: Should I replace it when doing the timing belt change? Lugnutz 3rd gen T4Rs 14 05-12-2011 12:58 PM
Aisin timing belt kits vs. Dayco Timing Belt Kits drz Maintenance/Detailing 1 10-11-2010 06:42 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020