Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 10:18 AM

LWN is on a distinguished road

LWN is on a distinguished road
Well I did it and it seems to work fine. It's really straightforward. There's a 4WD ECU behind the glovebox with an input from a switch on the transfer case that tells the ECU when you're in 4L. That input is the LIGHT GAUGE blue wire on the LARGER of the two plugs into the 4wd ECU, not to be confused with a heavier gauge blue wire on the second, smaller plug.

When you're in 4L, the transfer case switch grounds that wire to let the ECU know that you're in 4L, thus enabling ATRAC & the rear locker. So my solution was to rig a manual switch to ground that blue wire to fool the ECU into thinking you're in 4L, and then the locker & ATRAC will work in 4H. And it works.

You've got to pull the glovebox, but once you do the ECU is right there. I spliced into the blue wire, ran that wire to a switch, and the other terminal of the switch to ground. When I'm in 4H & flip the switch, the 4L light comes on and ATRAC & the real locker are enabled. Nothing to it.

Again, this mod only applies to the Trail Edition models - those with ATRAC & the locking rear diff. It's worked for me, but obviously, experiment at your own risk...

Diagram of what's where - 4WD ECU is #2, 4L switch is #4

Photobucket

Wiring diagram

Photobucket

Parts that have to come out to get to the 4WD ECU

Photobucket

Where the 4WD ECU is located with the glovebox out:

Photobucket

The mod:

Photobucket