Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 05:03 AM

Ruffian is on a distinguished road

Ruffian is on a distinguished road
Snow Cables or good old fashioned chains for 33" tires?

Ok, 1st the good news. Thanks to a job promotion, I may be moving to Lake Tahoe by the end of the month. Won't know for sure until this week sometime.

Bad news....holy sch-nikes it's expensive to live on the North Shore. Which is the side where the office is and where I'll have to be since they often close the hwy from the South. Those of you from Cali. will know what I mean. And no...I'm not commuting from Reno! Have you ever done that pass in a snow storm? Never again, I thought I was going to die.

So looking like Truckee or if I'm lucky, North shore somewhere. Hopefully for less than $1400 a month. Sigh.....

Need to get those 33's on there ASAP after Sierra Trek this upcoming weekend. So with that in mind, how many of you have used cables on 33's?

I know chains, but I hate installing them. Not a big deal for every great now and then for a High Sierra's get away, but if I'm living there and will be putting them or leaving them on etc., need something a bit fancier. This is what I've come up with so far. Want to buy them now and not wait for the 1st snow fall. Honestly, I'm leaning towards the SCC Z8's because I can use them off road. The others have that plastic (dorky looking but may make installation really easy) plastic cap that I can see being destroyed with one high curb or rock rub!

SCC Super Z8

SCC Super Z8

Alpine model from Spider USA is the only one that will fit 285/70/17.

Spikes-Spider :: Models
2003 Limited w/ Nav.; Painted custom; hood, bumpers, bottoms of doors, running boards, tail gate fin & bottom of gate, and roof racks lined with Full Metal Jacket polymer spray & repainted Trail Edition Shoreline Blue Pearl. De-badged since she's custom looking now. 4x4 V8. 320,000 miles as of Oct 2021. Mods: Fully synthetic fluids for engine oil & diffs. BFG A/T TA's KO2 for my TRD flat black rims & complete Stage 7 ICON suspension. A little front bumper plastic surgery. AFE Air filter. Magnaflow cat back exhaust. EBC green stuff brakes & slotted & drilled rotors.
Ruffian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote