User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 12:16 AM #496
mordotz mordotz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 29
mordotz is on a distinguished road
mordotz mordotz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 29
mordotz is on a distinguished road
I ended up going with the Morimoto XB headlights. My requirements were: pure white lights, match OEM LED fog lights, better than stock.

H9 and high performance H11 were out from the start since I was looking for pure white. I didn't want to go with HIDs in the stock halogen projector due to the possibility of excessive glare. Although I retrofitted my previous car, I didn't want to take the time/effort to retrofit.

Which left LEDs or Morimoto XB headlights. Pricing it out with BF sales, LEDs were around $250 for Morimoto/XD low and highs. Morimoto XB headlights were on sale for $925. With the discounted price and IMO the improvement in looks, I chose the Morimoto XBs. Plan is to run the OEM LED fogs to offset the sharp side cutoffs of the XBs.
mordotz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:07 AM #497
mynameistory's Avatar
mynameistory mynameistory is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 480
mynameistory has a spectacular aura about mynameistory has a spectacular aura about mynameistory has a spectacular aura about
mynameistory mynameistory is offline
Member
mynameistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 480
mynameistory has a spectacular aura about mynameistory has a spectacular aura about mynameistory has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saker View Post
@mynameistory
Wasnít trying to offend, and I donít think you took it that way.
Yep, had true conversions in previous vehicles. Aware the only true and correct way to upgrade to HID or LEDís is not to performs a bulb swap.
Now there are quality assemblyís available with HIDís and/or LEDís.
Both true assembly replacements are expensive
A lot of people want to throw a 6.00 LED in and expect that to work.... it just will not.
Yes I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordotz View Post
I swear any lighting related thread on this forum brings out the worst in people. Let's all be happy, there's a counter argument to every option out there.



I've done quite a bit of research over the last couple weeks. I've listed the options as I know them below..

HIDs (in stock housing) - This will hands down get you the most light output for the money. This is also a controversial option as you're putting HIDs in a halogen projector. There's a 50/50 split on people who say this will cause excessive glare vs people who don't. Various color temps available

LEDs - Based off of my research, it seems like if you buy a higher quality LED kit such as the Morimoto/Supernova/XD, they will provide an output slightly better than stock. Note that kits such as the Morimoto and Supernova come with fans on the unit which will produce noise. Cooler color temps available to get rid of the stock halogen whitish-yellow.

H9 - Honestly, if you don't want to piss off anyone in this thread, go with this option. lol Requires a small modification to the bulb. Double the stock output for $15, but keep in mind that H9s run at 65W vs 55W which means it will run hotter with more power on the stock wiring harness. The consensus is that the extra heat and power should be ok. Whitish-yellow output.

High Performance H11 - This is an option I don't frequently see on this forum but see a lot on the Tacoma forum. GE Megalight Ultra H11 - double the stock output, direct replacement, $30-40. Note that these bulbs have a short lifespan. Whitish-yellow output.

Retrofit HIDs/LEDs - Swap out the stock halogen projector for a legit HID/LED projector. Requires baking/opening the headlight. This will give you the output of the HIDs without the worry of glare and the general output will be way more uniform vs HIDs in the stock halogen projectors. This one is a ton of work - not for the faint of heart.

Morimoto XB LED Headlights - The most expensive option. Output should be better than stock but won't be as bright as HIDs. The biggest complaint by far with these is that the side cut off is very sharp. Running fogs seems to resolve/lessen the impact of the issue.

Note - Driving in the city/rain/fog/snow, whitish-yellow (4300K) light will provide the most visibility.

This is a perfect summary!
__________________
-Tory

- 2016 4Runner - WeatherTech Floor Liners - Key Fob Window Roll-down Mod - 35 PSI Tire Pressure - Gum Holder Delete - iOttie Phone Holder - RainX Windshield Mod - Stock Windshield Wipers (for now) - Radio Stations are 105.9, 106.7, 95.5, and 93.1 - Chrome Exhaust Tip - Really want a Gobi Ladder but I guess I'll just stand on the Tire because it's free and does the same thing - Some Old Coleman Ice Chest - A Gas Can I Found -
mynameistory is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:33 AM #498
NW.OH.T4R NW.OH.T4R is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: NW, Ohio
Posts: 133
Real Name: Jason
NW.OH.T4R is on a distinguished road
NW.OH.T4R NW.OH.T4R is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: NW, Ohio
Posts: 133
Real Name: Jason
NW.OH.T4R is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordotz View Post
I swear any lighting related thread on this forum brings out the worst in people. Let's all be happy, there's a counter argument to every option out there.



I've done quite a bit of research over the last couple weeks. I've listed the options as I know them below..

HIDs (in stock housing) - This will hands down get you the most light output for the money. This is also a controversial option as you're putting HIDs in a halogen projector. There's a 50/50 split on people who say this will cause excessive glare vs people who don't. Various color temps available

LEDs - Based off of my research, it seems like if you buy a higher quality LED kit such as the Morimoto/Supernova/XD, they will provide an output slightly better than stock. Note that kits such as the Morimoto and Supernova come with fans on the unit which will produce noise. Cooler color temps available to get rid of the stock halogen whitish-yellow.

H9 - Honestly, if you don't want to piss off anyone in this thread, go with this option. lol Requires a small modification to the bulb. Double the stock output for $15, but keep in mind that H9s run at 65W vs 55W which means it will run hotter with more power on the stock wiring harness. The consensus is that the extra heat and power should be ok. Whitish-yellow output.

High Performance H11 - This is an option I don't frequently see on this forum but see a lot on the Tacoma forum. GE Megalight Ultra H11 - double the stock output, direct replacement, $30-40. Note that these bulbs have a short lifespan. Whitish-yellow output.

Retrofit HIDs/LEDs - Swap out the stock halogen projector for a legit HID/LED projector. Requires baking/opening the headlight. This will give you the output of the HIDs without the worry of glare and the general output will be way more uniform vs HIDs in the stock halogen projectors. This one is a ton of work - not for the faint of heart.

Morimoto XB LED Headlights - The most expensive option. Output should be better than stock but won't be as bright as HIDs. The biggest complaint by far with these is that the side cut off is very sharp. Running fogs seems to resolve/lessen the impact of the issue.

Note - Driving in the city/rain/fog/snow, whitish-yellow (4300K) light will provide the most visibility.
I'm going the retrofit path - Lexus IS250 bi-Xenon HID projectors, but dropped in Morimoto LEDs for low beam and the 9011 high beams in the interim. I agree with your comment about being a lot of work, but it's work that can be done at your leisure in the comforts of inside your home (if you have a donor set of headlights). I also find it extremely enjoyable and rewarding to build your own custom set.

Bonus - all in, I'm at about $500 including the donor set of headlights.
NW.OH.T4R is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:51 AM #499
John in NC John in NC is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Southeastern NC
Posts: 39
Real Name: John
John in NC is on a distinguished road
John in NC John in NC is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Southeastern NC
Posts: 39
Real Name: John
John in NC is on a distinguished road
This is for anybody that has aftermarket headlights, fogs, light bars- whatever. If you have your lights on and oncoming drivers are flashing you, you're a problem. Even if it's just one person per week flashing you- know that dozens of others are being blinded and are either not fast enough or don't have the balls to flash you.

Your safety being a priority damn the rest of us? Lame. Yeah I care about my wife and kids too, but I'm not going to put blinding bulbs in just so I can light up the night, screw oncoming traffic or those in front of me.

If your mega bright high intensity retrofit headlights are aimed right and NOBODY flashes you, thanks for making an effort to not blind people. Cresting hills and coming around corners though, I bet you still cause issues.
John in NC is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:29 AM #500
NW.OH.T4R NW.OH.T4R is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: NW, Ohio
Posts: 133
Real Name: Jason
NW.OH.T4R is on a distinguished road
NW.OH.T4R NW.OH.T4R is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: NW, Ohio
Posts: 133
Real Name: Jason
NW.OH.T4R is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in NC View Post
This is for anybody that has aftermarket headlights, fogs, light bars- whatever. If you have your lights on and oncoming drivers are flashing you, you're a problem. Even if it's just one person per week flashing you- know that dozens of others are being blinded and are either not fast enough or don't have the balls to flash you.

Your safety being a priority damn the rest of us? Lame. Yeah I care about my wife and kids too, but I'm not going to put blinding bulbs in just so I can light up the night, screw oncoming traffic or those in front of me.

If your mega bright high intensity retrofit headlights are aimed right and NOBODY flashes you, thanks for making an effort to not blind people. Cresting hills and coming around corners though, I bet you still cause issues.
I was with you until your last sentence. Simply because this applies to literally any vehicle in that situation. There's a windy road with several small "hills" (elongated bumps) that I travel every evening after picking up the kid at daycare. I can hit with low beams from small sedans constantly on these hills and they create instantaneous problems.
That said, I get blinded regularly by HD trucks with HIDs in reflector housings and it annoys the hell out of me.
NW.OH.T4R is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:56 PM #501
John in NC John in NC is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Southeastern NC
Posts: 39
Real Name: John
John in NC is on a distinguished road
John in NC John in NC is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Southeastern NC
Posts: 39
Real Name: John
John in NC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW.OH.T4R View Post
I was with you until your last sentence. Simply because this applies to literally any vehicle in that situation. There's a windy road with several small "hills" (elongated bumps) that I travel every evening after picking up the kid at daycare. I can hit with low beams from small sedans constantly on these hills and they create instantaneous problems.
That said, I get blinded regularly by HD trucks with HIDs in reflector housings and it annoys the hell out of me.
I'm saying those that think they've aimed their high performance aftermarket searing bright lights correctly may still be blinding people on curves and cresting hills. But yes you are right some factory lights can blind you in these situations- I'm thinking newer Corolla, Acura MDX, Escalade... they're super bright.
I'm just really annoyed by these super bright non factory lights in everything from junkers to $80,000 "levelled" trucks. Forget about the squat/ reverse rake guys, they blind bats, birds, and airliners, PLUS all other drivers.
John in NC is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Consolidated Slider Info Thread HerT4R 5th gen T4Rs 253 12-08-2019 03:47 PM
OEM Looking 5th Gen NAV Info Thread TOY2G 5th gen T4Rs 48 07-02-2018 09:50 AM
Rub or no rub - consolidated tire upgrade review emmantik 5th gen T4Rs 43 02-03-2016 05:59 PM
Consolidated Common Rattle Locations and Fixes HaulsBike 4th Gen T4Rs 1 08-21-2015 04:20 PM
iPhone 5 Info Thread Thai Off Topic 283 06-22-2013 02:03 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2019


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.