User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 2.53 average. Display Modes
Old 03-24-2019, 08:16 AM #61
Decipher's Avatar
Decipher Decipher is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Chicagoland (Ugh)
Posts: 664
Real Name: B-Money
Decipher has a spectacular aura about Decipher has a spectacular aura about
Decipher Decipher is offline
Member
Decipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Chicagoland (Ugh)
Posts: 664
Real Name: B-Money
Decipher has a spectacular aura about Decipher has a spectacular aura about
Help Me Decide: SR5 Premium or TRD Offroad Premium...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_T4R View Post
OP, I faced a similar decision last summer when purchasing my '17.

I ended up ordering a 4x4 SR5P with 2 rows(Can't find 2 row black interior in TX, which is why i ordered).



The locker was the only thing holding me up, but then I recalled my 8 years with my FJ(full-time 4x4, Manual, locker). Do you know how many times I used it? Twice. How many of those times did I need it? ZERO. I would drive the FJ through every muddy field, up every rutted dirt road, and over any rocky obstacle I could find (and sometimes backwards just for fun).

The truth about 4x4 systems in Toyota's: They are awesome.



For Crawl control, my dad's Land Cruiser has it, and he has never needed the thing. As for the locker, if you need it down the line just go aftermarket.


This is probably some of the best advice you can get on this topic. Real world experience replaces all speculation.

I love my SR5P and while it would be nice to have the other gadgets, my SR5P has taken me everywhere Iíve wanted to go and if I ever got myself into a bad situation, Atrac got me out with zero drama. Plus a lack of crawl control and all those things forces you to learn the fundamentals of wheeling in different conditions. This was infinitely useful when we rented a Jeep in Kauai and drove on the sand. If I never learned I would have been stuck like everyone else.

I was off the grid one day in the snow with my Runner.I heard cracking under me and before I realized it, I was falling through ice into a decent sized pond I didnít know was there. I had to muscle through massive chunks of ice and mud. I couldnít get out and thought I was done...until I engaged Atrac. With a little effort, I crawled right out and was forever sold on the capabilities of this truck in this form.

If I was buying another Runner today, I honestly canít say Iíd sport the extra money. If money wasnít an issue, sure, but knowing what the truck is capable of now, Iíd save the money and use it towards the thing that matters most...good tires. A lift, too, but tires are the single best mod you can do to really let the Runner stretch itís legs.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Anger Fuels Motion...Motion Fuels Momentum...Momentum Fuels Action...DO SOMETHING!

2010 4Runner SR5

Last edited by Decipher; 03-24-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Decipher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:12 PM #62
Redsoxx1918 Redsoxx1918 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 372
Redsoxx1918 will become famous soon enough Redsoxx1918 will become famous soon enough
Redsoxx1918 Redsoxx1918 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 372
Redsoxx1918 will become famous soon enough Redsoxx1918 will become famous soon enough
Help Me Decide: SR5 Premium or TRD Offroad Premium...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decipher View Post
This is probably some of the best advice you can get on this topic. Real world experience replaces all speculation.

I love my SR5P and while it would be nice to have the other gadgets, my SR5P has taken me everywhere Iíve wanted to go and if I ever got myself into a bad situation, Atrac got me out with zero drama. Plus a lack of crawl control and all those things forces you to learn the fundamentals of wheeling in different conditions. This was infinitely useful when we rented a Jeep in Kauai and drove on the sand. If I never learned I would have been stuck like everyone else.

I was off the grid one day in the snow with my Runner.I heard cracking under me and before I realized it, I was falling through ice into a decent sized pond I didnít know was there. I had to muscle through massive chunks of ice and mud. I couldnít get out and thought I was done...until I engaged Atrac. With a little effort, I crawled right out and was forever sold on the capabilities of this truck in this form.

If I was buying another Runner today, I honestly canít say Iíd sport the extra money. If money wasnít an issue, sure, but knowing what the truck is capable of now, Iíd save the money and use it towards the thing that matters most...good tires. A lift, too, but tires are the single best mod you can do to really let the Runner stretch itís legs.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Actually....my opinion is that itís a no brainer.....always get the TRD off road over the SR5. My reasoning? They cost the exact same thing, so go for the off road.

How do I figure that???? The real
cost of a vehicle is not what you pay when you purchase but what you pay when you purchase minus the trade value you receive when you trade it in.

In 2016, I bought an SR5 premium and paid $35,300. In late 2017, I traded up to a 2018 TRD off road premium, non KDSS, and paid $37,300...exactly $2000 more. When I traded in, I got KBB trade value of $29,000 on my SR5. If I had kept it, based on condition and the mileage Iíd have today, trade value would be $25,000, according to KBB. Had I bought a Trail premium in 2016, Iím certain I could have gotten it for $2000 more as I did in late 2017. KBB trade in on a 2016 Trail premium, assuming same condition and mileage......$27,000....$2000 more.

So, the $2000 extra you pay for the TRD off road will be recouped when you trade due to the awesome residual values on these things. Itís nice to have the extra off road goodies if you should ever need them. Crawl control already saved me on some deep soft sand on the beach.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Redsoxx1918; 03-24-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Redsoxx1918 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:45 PM #63
Decipher's Avatar
Decipher Decipher is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Chicagoland (Ugh)
Posts: 664
Real Name: B-Money
Decipher has a spectacular aura about Decipher has a spectacular aura about
Decipher Decipher is offline
Member
Decipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Chicagoland (Ugh)
Posts: 664
Real Name: B-Money
Decipher has a spectacular aura about Decipher has a spectacular aura about
Whatís this ďtrading-inĒ thing you speak of???


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Anger Fuels Motion...Motion Fuels Momentum...Momentum Fuels Action...DO SOMETHING!

2010 4Runner SR5
Decipher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:26 AM #64
Go-Fast Boat Go-Fast Boat is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 20
Go-Fast Boat is on a distinguished road
Go-Fast Boat Go-Fast Boat is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 20
Go-Fast Boat is on a distinguished road
I say SR5 Premium 4WD. Plenty enough for most off road situations and will save you a bit of coin. I think people sometimes underestimate the capability of these things.
Go-Fast Boat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:31 AM #65
Decipher's Avatar
Decipher Decipher is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Chicagoland (Ugh)
Posts: 664
Real Name: B-Money
Decipher has a spectacular aura about Decipher has a spectacular aura about
Decipher Decipher is offline
Member
Decipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Chicagoland (Ugh)
Posts: 664
Real Name: B-Money
Decipher has a spectacular aura about Decipher has a spectacular aura about
^This exactly. Thereís no doubt the extra electronic goodies have their place and value, but the SR5 with Atrac is unbelievably capable and has never left me wishing I had more. Iíd save the money in up front cost and invest it in a lift and tires. Then go wheeling with someone who paid more than you and watch you guys go in the same places and have equal fun.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Anger Fuels Motion...Motion Fuels Momentum...Momentum Fuels Action...DO SOMETHING!

2010 4Runner SR5
Decipher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:56 AM #66
tls3601 tls3601 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 203
Real Name: Tom
tls3601 will become famous soon enough
tls3601 tls3601 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 203
Real Name: Tom
tls3601 will become famous soon enough
SR5, unless you plan some serious wheeling where a locker is needed on a regular basis. ATRAC as described above will work wonders. Good luck with whatever you choose. I love my Ď19
__________________
1978 FJ40. Mostly stock, reverse shackle 3 inch lift.
2019 Pro Voodoo Blue
tls3601 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:58 AM #67
WNY PAT WNY PAT is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 86
WNY PAT is on a distinguished road
WNY PAT WNY PAT is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 86
WNY PAT is on a distinguished road
Thought I’d give a 1 year update on our SR5 Premium after living with it for the fall/winter/spring here in the snow belts near Buffalo, NY. As for snow, be it wet and sloppy or dry and fluffy, the T4R makes easy work of it even with the marginal stock tires. We got hit with one particularly nasty storm and ended up with thigh high drifts across some of the nearby side roads. I intentionally got it stuck a couple times in 4H and then switched to 4L and engaged ATRAC. The results are pretty impressive - it crawled right out both times. There was quite a bit of chattering and noise but it’s 100% idiot proof as far as I can tell so long as you know how to engage the systems. The second time I would have sworn I was high centered but it still slowly climbed out of the ruts. No big surprises here, but the T4R a great truck for deep snow. I can’t wait until the factory rubber wears out and I can put a proper set of tires on this thing. That said, the wife hardly drives it and I just had the 12 month service completed with 5,600 miles on the odometer. Lol. It’ll be around a long time at this rate.
__________________
2018 4R SR5 Premium Package Faux Pro Clone (Stolen By The Kids)

2013 Lexus LX570 (Wifeís New Mall Crawler)

2017 Tundra Crewmax Limited TRD (Mine)

Last edited by WNY PAT; 04-23-2019 at 01:03 AM.
WNY PAT is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:41 PM #68
chrizow's Avatar
chrizow chrizow is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 2
chrizow is on a distinguished road
chrizow chrizow is offline
Junior Member
chrizow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 2
chrizow is on a distinguished road
I am comparing T4Rs to purchase in 2020 and this thread has been very handy.

My primary concern is ON-ROAD driving, handling, and road noise in a city environment. This vehicle will 99.99% of the time be driven in the city.

I have zero need for the off-road features of the TRD Offroad. My attraction to TRD Offroad is for the KDSS option, which some say is more smooth and nimble for city driving. My concern is the reliability of KDSS--I plan to keep the vehicle for 10+ years and would like to avoid costly repairs as much as possible.

SR5 Premium would more than suit my off-road needs (which are none) but I am concerned the city ride will be too rough. I live in KCMO where the roads are technically paved but sometimes rough as hell due to lack of maintenance!

I am also OK with a Limited--I like the leather seats and 15-speaker sound system and other creature comforts--but I am not sure about 20" wheels or the overall heavy appearance of the vehicle. I have also read here that the 20" wheels can counter-intuitively lead to more road noise and a stiffer ride? (I assumed Limiteds were the most cush, plush, and smooth for normal driving conditions until browsing this forum)

Obviously I am interested in a T4R so I am prepared for a bit of a rough, trucky ride (which is part of the fun) but I do want to get the "smoothest" T4R possible for city use. Thoughts?

(Yes, I plan to test-drive all of these models but I have extreme aversion to dealing with car dealerships and so I am trying to minimize the amount of tire-kicking necessary)

Thanks!

Last edited by chrizow; 11-25-2019 at 04:44 PM.
chrizow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:53 PM #69
ax2021 ax2021 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 72
ax2021 will become famous soon enough
ax2021 ax2021 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 72
ax2021 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrizow View Post
I am comparing T4Rs to purchase in 2020 and this thread has been very handy.

My primary concern is ON-ROAD driving, handling, and road noise in a city environment. This vehicle will 99.99% of the time be driven in the city.

I have zero need for the off-road features of the TRD Offroad. My attraction to TRD Offroad is for the KDSS option, which some say is more smooth and nimble for city driving. My concern is the reliability of KDSS--I plan to keep the vehicle for 10+ years and would like to avoid costly repairs as much as possible.

SR5 Premium would more than suit my off-road needs (which are none) but I am concerned the city ride will be too rough. I live in KCMO where the roads are technically paved but sometimes rough as hell due to lack of maintenance!

I am also OK with a Limited--I like the leather seats and 15-speaker sound system and other creature comforts--but I am not sure about 20" wheels or the overall heavy appearance of the vehicle. I have also read here that the 20" wheels can counter-intuitively lead to more road noise and a stiffer ride? (I assumed Limiteds were the most cush, plush, and smooth for normal driving conditions until browsing this forum)

Obviously I am interested in a T4R so I am prepared for a bit of a rough, trucky ride (which is part of the fun) but I do want to get the "smoothest" T4R possible for city use. Thoughts?

(Yes, I plan to test-drive all of these models but I have extreme aversion to dealing with car dealerships and so I am trying to minimize the amount of tire-kicking necessary)

Thanks!


You got to test drive every one of those to pick right one for you. But the way you sound, Lexus GX 460 , try that one, maybe?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ax2021 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:14 PM #70
chrizow's Avatar
chrizow chrizow is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 2
chrizow is on a distinguished road
chrizow chrizow is offline
Junior Member
chrizow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 2
chrizow is on a distinguished road
Cool

Ha. I guess my post makes me sound a little soft, but just was looking for specific advice re T4R for city driving...
chrizow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:29 PM #71
ax2021 ax2021 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 72
ax2021 will become famous soon enough
ax2021 ax2021 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 72
ax2021 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrizow View Post
Ha. I guess my post makes me sound a little soft, but just was looking for specific advice re T4R for city driving...


I totally understand. I am just like you. Love my T4R and I drive 99.9% in NYC , and I could buy any Luxury SUV , I choose TRDOP, did some modes, really happy what Iíve got. About ride quality, I think Limited will be the smoothies one. But like I said you better try it to drive. Good luck with your new T4R.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ax2021 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS - TRD OffRoad Premium Wheels (Southern California) poorbong For Sale: Suspension/Wheels/Tires 8 05-08-2017 02:37 PM
2017 TRD Offroad Premium Wheels (New) Phoenix AZ Motoman_TRD For Sale: Suspension/Wheels/Tires 7 04-23-2017 01:02 PM
GX 460 (Premium and Ultra Premium) Test Drive Review/Result Lolrax 5th gen T4Rs 36 10-04-2013 09:15 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2019


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.