User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2019, 04:50 PM #76
Techflyer Techflyer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 12
Techflyer is on a distinguished road
Techflyer Techflyer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 12
Techflyer is on a distinguished road
The install went fairly well. Lots of wire fishing!
I decided not to install the foot kick switch.
Once I had all of the wiring run and the struts and brackets changed I held my breath and connected the power wire.
The LED in the control box blinked about 17 times or so and went out. I pushed the rear button and nothing happened... No beep, no movement, nothing... It was about o'dark thirty so I called it a night.

The next morning, with a fresh set of eyes, I went through the entire install and disconnected/reconnected every plug and re-verified that I had a good ground.
This time the system beeped and started to close when I pressed the rear button. When the liftgate closed it did not latch. "No biggie", I thought. I just need to adjust the latch.
The system will give you two beeps when the liftgate closes but does not latch and a single beep when it does.
Now I began to look at the latch. It appeared that the latch on our 4Runner had always been rubbing on one side. Apparently when we manually closed the liftgate it did not matter. The power system, however, did not like the extra drag. I spent the next few hours trying to adjust both the latch loop (the stationary part at the bottom of the opening) and the latch receiver in the door. I even tried reaming the holes in the receiver mounts in the door to give me more movement.
The best that I got is now if the door is all the way open and I push the button, the door will sometimes latch when it closes.
But, if the door is only half way open, (as the door is opening you can push the button to stop the door) it will latch consistently. Go figure.
The struts seem to close with more power and authority from the half open position. When you close the door from the fully open position the struts seem a little tired when they get to the closed position.
During the hours that I was trying to adjust the latch I must have actuated the system dozens of times. Now the struts sound different than they did at the beginning. They are a bit noisier and click a bit. The liftgate is moving at the same speed and the fully locked/not fully locked ratio is about the same.
I always used the buttons (the stock hatch button to open and the rear button to close) to move the door.
Overall, while the concept is cool I am not sure about the reliability or longevity.
If this does not end up working out, going back to stock is easy enough.
I finally got around to making a video: YouTube

Last edited by Techflyer; 08-25-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Techflyer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:03 AM #77
dandelos dandelos is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 33
dandelos is on a distinguished road
dandelos dandelos is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 33
dandelos is on a distinguished road
I don't suppose anyone knows a shop in SoCal (LA) that would be able to install this? I normally wouldn't mind tackling this myself but have a few too many things going on right now. I checked the AutoEase website but the only 'official' installer they list is in FL --

Where to install – Autoease
dandelos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:16 AM #78
124runner 124runner is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4
124runner is on a distinguished road
124runner 124runner is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4
124runner is on a distinguished road
Holy hell is fishing the wire the hardest part. I've got the actuators installed, all the wires are good to go at the driver kick panel and they have all been run to the rear. But damn if I can't get a single wire (let alone all of them) fished down the sides of the window. Can you guys give me any tips or encouragement for this to work? I've read every post I can find on this and the trial4runner write-up.

I've only managed to get a fish wire from the speaker opening to the grommet hole on the passenger side of the window. Even with the connectors taped inline to the fish wire, it seems impossible to pull back down.

I'm not one to back down from a challenge, but damn is this not fun.
124runner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:27 AM #79
r1verf3nix r1verf3nix is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 249
r1verf3nix will become famous soon enough
r1verf3nix r1verf3nix is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 249
r1verf3nix will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124runner View Post
Holy hell is fishing the wire the hardest part. I've got the actuators installed, all the wires are good to go at the driver kick panel and they have all been run to the rear. But damn if I can't get a single wire (let alone all of them) fished down the sides of the window. Can you guys give me any tips or encouragement for this to work? I've read every post I can find on this and the trial4runner write-up.

I've only managed to get a fish wire from the speaker opening to the grommet hole on the passenger side of the window. Even with the connectors taped inline to the fish wire, it seems impossible to pull back down.

I'm not one to back down from a challenge, but damn is this not fun.
Probably the biggest reason why I haven't started my installation yet either. I've heard from most the fishing was exceedingly difficult. Just take your time and you should be able to pull it off. As an electrical engineer and part-time electrician I am even worried about it, if that helps.
r1verf3nix is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:24 PM #80
FZRunner's Avatar
FZRunner FZRunner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 191
Real Name: Greg
FZRunner will become famous soon enough
FZRunner FZRunner is offline
Member
FZRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 191
Real Name: Greg
FZRunner will become famous soon enough
trail4runner install notes

"Just donít go into this underestimating the work needed to fish the wires through the gate. We considered rolling the truck off a cliff a few times during this step alone!"

This was their quote before install notes. I didn't take it lightly....
FZRunner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:36 AM #81
buckalew buckalew is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: southampton PA
Posts: 32
buckalew is on a distinguished road
buckalew buckalew is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: southampton PA
Posts: 32
buckalew is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124runner View Post
Holy hell is fishing the wire the hardest part. I've got the actuators installed, all the wires are good to go at the driver kick panel and they have all been run to the rear. But damn if I can't get a single wire (let alone all of them) fished down the sides of the window. Can you guys give me any tips or encouragement for this to work? I've read every post I can find on this and the trial4runner write-up.

I've only managed to get a fish wire from the speaker opening to the grommet hole on the passenger side of the window. Even with the connectors taped inline to the fish wire, it seems impossible to pull back down.

I'm not one to back down from a challenge, but damn is this not fun.
I'm in the same boat... running a fishing a wire from the speaker to the hasn't been much of an issue, but I've spent 2 hours trying to run the wire back towards the speaker opening. I'm about ready to put the stock lift supports back on and throw everything in the trash.

Last edited by buckalew; 11-30-2019 at 08:38 AM.
buckalew is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:31 AM #82
R90esses R90esses is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3
R90esses is on a distinguished road
R90esses R90esses is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3
R90esses is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Do not purchase autoease liftgate - flaw!!!

DO NOT BUY THIS 4RUNNER LIFTGATE KIT!!!!

I installed one last month (November). Autoease stopped responding to my emails after I discovered a FLAW in their system for 4Runners. As you all know, 4Runners have a retractable rear window. The instructions and the wiring harness for the liftgate product dictate that the electronic controller for the liftgate must be installed inside the liftgate. Well, the liftgate is not sealed from weather. Rain can and does flow through the liftgate and drain out weep holes in the bottom of the liftgate. After completing my installation I had everything working well for about two weeks until we got multiple days of constant rain. My problems began after driving just a few miles in the rain. I was sitting in a parking lot talking on my phone via the 4Runner bluetooth while my wife was in a store shopping. The installed liftgate beeper, which normally only beeps on and off briefly, began with a constant tone. I pressed the dash button to open the liftgate and IT DID NOT WORK!!! I tried to open the liftgate from the outside by using the key remote and the liftgate factory latch, still nothing. All the while the constant tone of the beeper continued. To stop the tone I had to pull open the footwell cover next to the parking brake to get to the power connection so I could unplug the liftgate.

Leading up to this time I had multiple correspondences with Autoease during the installation and they had been quite responsive - responding within the 24 hour period stated on their website. So, that evening (November 27th) I emailed Autoease stating what had just happened to me. NO RESPONSE! I emailed again the next day. NO RESPONSE! I emailed again December 1st. Today is December 3rd. STILL NO RESPONSE!

My only recourse now is to dispute the purchase with my credit card company. I submitted that dispute this morning.

I wanted this liftgate because my wife has physical challenges and the factory liftgate is challenging for her to close. Consequently, I am severely disappointed with Autoease. The existing instructions are terrible. Between the instructions and the inherent delays in dealing with replies from their tech support in China (typically an email reply came after 10pm local time to me), the whole installation took me two weeks. I even offered to work with them to rewrite their instructions as I have significant technical writing experience. They were interested and even offered to work out a payment for doing so. Honestly, I'm not too interested in this anymore.

The other Autoease liftgates are probably fine because those liftgates are sealed from the weather. The 4Runner is an anomaly with the retractable rear window. So, until a redesign takes place that relocates the controller to a protected area of the 4Runner (and I did suggest a new location to Autoease), DO NOT PURCHASE THIS 4RUNNER LIFTGATE KIT!!!
R90esses is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:52 AM #83
avo1789's Avatar
avo1789 avo1789 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 23
avo1789 is on a distinguished road
avo1789 avo1789 is offline
Junior Member
avo1789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 23
avo1789 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by R90esses View Post
DO NOT BUY THIS 4RUNNER LIFTGATE KIT!!!!



I installed one last month (November). Autoease stopped responding to my emails after I discovered a FLAW in their system for 4Runners. As you all know, 4Runners have a retractable rear window. The instructions and the wiring harness for the liftgate product dictate that the electronic controller for the liftgate must be installed inside the liftgate. Well, the liftgate is not sealed from weather. Rain can and does flow through the liftgate and drain out weep holes in the bottom of the liftgate. After completing my installation I had everything working well for about two weeks until we got multiple days of constant rain. My problems began after driving just a few miles in the rain. I was sitting in a parking lot talking on my phone via the 4Runner bluetooth while my wife was in a store shopping. The installed liftgate beeper, which normally only beeps on and off briefly, began with a constant tone. I pressed the dash button to open the liftgate and IT DID NOT WORK!!! I tried to open the liftgate from the outside by using the key remote and the liftgate factory latch, still nothing. All the while the constant tone of the beeper continued. To stop the tone I had to pull open the footwell cover next to the parking brake to get to the power connection so I could unplug the liftgate.



Leading up to this time I had multiple correspondences with Autoease during the installation and they had been quite responsive - responding within the 24 hour period stated on their website. So, that evening (November 27th) I emailed Autoease stating what had just happened to me. NO RESPONSE! I emailed again the next day. NO RESPONSE! I emailed again December 1st. Today is December 3rd. STILL NO RESPONSE!



My only recourse now is to dispute the purchase with my credit card company. I submitted that dispute this morning.



I wanted this liftgate because my wife has physical challenges and the factory liftgate is challenging for her to close. Consequently, I am severely disappointed with Autoease. The existing instructions are terrible. Between the instructions and the inherent delays in dealing with replies from their tech support in China (typically an email reply came after 10pm local time to me), the whole installation took me two weeks. I even offered to work with them to rewrite their instructions as I have significant technical writing experience. They were interested and even offered to work out a payment for doing so. Honestly, I'm not too interested in this anymore.



The other Autoease liftgates are probably fine because those liftgates are sealed from the weather. The 4Runner is an anomaly with the retractable rear window. So, until a redesign takes place that relocates the controller to a protected area of the 4Runner (and I did suggest a new location to Autoease), DO NOT PURCHASE THIS 4RUNNER LIFTGATE KIT!!!
That sucks! I was hoping this kit would be reliable. I guess it's too good to be true?

Please let us know if/when they respond.

Best of luck with your situation!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
avo1789 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:19 PM #84
mschiavoni mschiavoni is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1
mschiavoni is on a distinguished road
mschiavoni mschiavoni is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1
mschiavoni is on a distinguished road
interesting. i was looking into this for my 4th gen (it's a 2007, selectable from their menu). my thought would be to lengthen the wires, and install the module inside the cabin (possibly inside the drivers' side quarter panel?) just a thought. until there's a solution i think i'm gonna hold off. i []will[/I] be adding a rear camera and parking sensors in the near future to go with the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto head unit i bought. possibly adding Blind Spot Monitoring if i can find a reputable kit
mschiavoni is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:22 PM #85
TDMerrittPE TDMerrittPE is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 9
TDMerrittPE is on a distinguished road
TDMerrittPE TDMerrittPE is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 9
TDMerrittPE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by R90esses View Post
DO NOT BUY THIS 4RUNNER LIFTGATE KIT!!!!

I installed one last month (November). Autoease stopped responding to my emails after I discovered a FLAW in their system for 4Runners. As you all know, 4Runners have a retractable rear window. The instructions and the wiring harness for the liftgate product dictate that the electronic controller for the liftgate must be installed inside the liftgate. Well, the liftgate is not sealed from weather. Rain can and does flow through the liftgate and drain out weep holes in the bottom of the liftgate. After completing my installation I had everything working well for about two weeks until we got multiple days of constant rain. My problems began after driving just a few miles in the rain. I was sitting in a parking lot talking on my phone via the 4Runner bluetooth while my wife was in a store shopping. The installed liftgate beeper, which normally only beeps on and off briefly, began with a constant tone. I pressed the dash button to open the liftgate and IT DID NOT WORK!!! I tried to open the liftgate from the outside by using the key remote and the liftgate factory latch, still nothing. All the while the constant tone of the beeper continued. To stop the tone I had to pull open the footwell cover next to the parking brake to get to the power connection so I could unplug the liftgate.

Leading up to this time I had multiple correspondences with Autoease during the installation and they had been quite responsive - responding within the 24 hour period stated on their website. So, that evening (November 27th) I emailed Autoease stating what had just happened to me. NO RESPONSE! I emailed again the next day. NO RESPONSE! I emailed again December 1st. Today is December 3rd. STILL NO RESPONSE!

My only recourse now is to dispute the purchase with my credit card company. I submitted that dispute this morning.

I wanted this liftgate because my wife has physical challenges and the factory liftgate is challenging for her to close. Consequently, I am severely disappointed with Autoease. The existing instructions are terrible. Between the instructions and the inherent delays in dealing with replies from their tech support in China (typically an email reply came after 10pm local time to me), the whole installation took me two weeks. I even offered to work with them to rewrite their instructions as I have significant technical writing experience. They were interested and even offered to work out a payment for doing so. Honestly, I'm not too interested in this anymore.

The other Autoease liftgates are probably fine because those liftgates are sealed from the weather. The 4Runner is an anomaly with the retractable rear window. So, until a redesign takes place that relocates the controller to a protected area of the 4Runner (and I did suggest a new location to Autoease), DO NOT PURCHASE THIS 4RUNNER LIFTGATE KIT!!!
Please keep us posted regarding developments. I am planning on installing this kit, since I've tentatively found an installer. I live in Seattle and the vehicle is kept outside, so rain and moisture protection is essential. You mentioned that you suggested an alternative location for the controller, could you indicate where that is?
TDMerrittPE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:56 PM #86
R90esses R90esses is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3
R90esses is on a distinguished road
R90esses R90esses is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3
R90esses is on a distinguished road
Autoease responded to the dispute and I have withdrawn it. We are working together again. I have a new controller. They claim that this has not happened before but I am still going to relocate the controller to the space near the jack.
R90esses is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:45 PM #87
triumphwes's Avatar
triumphwes triumphwes is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Auburn
Posts: 6
triumphwes is on a distinguished road
triumphwes triumphwes is offline
Junior Member
triumphwes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Auburn
Posts: 6
triumphwes is on a distinguished road
Everyone on this thread who has installed these, please keep us updated as time/ reliability issues arise. I want to do this, but am wary of R90esses experience, and with this product still being new and will most likely need some revising.
__________________
2019 TRD Off Road Premium
LT265/ 70 17 Goodyear Ultra Terrain tires
triumphwes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:59 PM #88
TDMerrittPE TDMerrittPE is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 9
TDMerrittPE is on a distinguished road
TDMerrittPE TDMerrittPE is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 9
TDMerrittPE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by R90esses View Post
Autoease responded to the dispute and I have withdrawn it. We are working together again. I have a new controller. They claim that this has not happened before but I am still going to relocate the controller to the space near the jack.
You mention relocating the controller to the space near the Jack. Will you have to lengthen the cables and where is the particular space you are contemplating? Shortly after the 1st of the year I am going to start pursuing this modification and will need to direct the installer appropriately. I'm also going to send a PM.
TDMerrittPE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:40 PM #89
ZCYATX ZCYATX is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Austin
Posts: 2
ZCYATX is on a distinguished road
ZCYATX ZCYATX is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Austin
Posts: 2
ZCYATX is on a distinguished road
Does anyone has experience with this kit below.
Toyota 4runner power liftgate | Intelligentized Auto Parts | Hansshow
ZCYATX is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:40 PM #90
FZRunner's Avatar
FZRunner FZRunner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 191
Real Name: Greg
FZRunner will become famous soon enough
FZRunner FZRunner is offline
Member
FZRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 191
Real Name: Greg
FZRunner will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCYATX View Post
Does anyone has experience with this kit below.
Toyota 4runner power liftgate | Intelligentized Auto Parts | Hansshow
Looks like the same kit...from the same country, just packaged differently.
FZRunner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aftermarket , finally , gate , lift , power

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power Lift Gate? starbai 5th gen T4Rs 36 12-07-2018 12:38 PM
No power to rear lift gate Native 5th gen T4Rs 16 02-04-2014 10:02 AM
Non power lift gate -> power liftgate.. anyone? czastrow 4th Gen T4Rs 1 07-14-2011 09:35 PM
Power Lift Gate 5th gen SR5 CApilot78 5th gen T4Rs 1 12-13-2010 09:21 PM
Aftermarket or Add-on Auto Lift Gate feature for 4th Gen? zuhl 4th Gen T4Rs 1 01-04-2009 10:33 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020