User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2019, 10:50 PM #1
mugenrios2k mugenrios2k is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 145
mugenrios2k is on a distinguished road
mugenrios2k mugenrios2k is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 145
mugenrios2k is on a distinguished road
Fog light mod and keep CAN bus Dash Light DPDT Relay

After looking through multiple FOG light mod threads including
ANTMAN'S and others


Wonder why no one had suggested a double throw double pole relay.


Any one know the exact logic of the Stock ECU to know when to turn on the Fog light indicator on the dash via can bus from the ECU.

1) just based on the switched ground signal from the OEM Fog light switch ( and headlights on)

2) or based on pin/wire 13 going positive ( see diagram where I have it marked cut) and headlights on


If its just #1 then the below diagram will get you fog on with hi beams and still retain the can bus dash light as on when in low beam.

If its #2 then not cutting wire/pin 13 could potentially keep Fog light indicator in the dash lit not only in low beam mode but possible hi beam mode as well...
Attached Images
Fog light mod and keep CAN bus Dash Light DPDT Relay-4rn-fog-dpdt-relay-jpg 
mugenrios2k is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:58 AM #2
JP421's Avatar
JP421 JP421 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 331
JP421 is a jewel in the rough JP421 is a jewel in the rough JP421 is a jewel in the rough JP421 is a jewel in the rough
JP421 JP421 is offline
Member
JP421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 331
JP421 is a jewel in the rough JP421 is a jewel in the rough JP421 is a jewel in the rough JP421 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenrios2k View Post
After looking through multiple FOG light mod threads including
ANTMAN'S and others


Wonder why no one had suggested a double throw double pole relay.


Any one know the exact logic of the Stock ECU to know when to turn on the Fog light indicator on the dash via can bus from the ECU.

1) just based on the switched ground signal from the OEM Fog light switch ( and headlights on)

2) or based on pin/wire 13 going positive ( see diagram where I have it marked cut) and headlights on


If its just #1 then the below diagram will get you fog on with hi beams and still retain the can bus dash light as on when in low beam.

If its #2 then not cutting wire/pin 13 could potentially keep Fog light indicator in the dash lit not only in low beam mode but possible hi beam mode as well...
What?
__________________
2019 TRD Off-Road Premium - no kdss - 285 Cooper STT Pros
Dobinsons - Front: C59-300, GS59-574 Rear: C59-505, GS59-701 - JBA UCAs
RSG Metalworks Sliders - Angled
JP421 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:14 PM #3
Friggin Idiot's Avatar
Friggin Idiot Friggin Idiot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Central City, OH
Age: 37
Posts: 1,159
Real Name: Luke
Friggin Idiot has a spectacular aura about Friggin Idiot has a spectacular aura about Friggin Idiot has a spectacular aura about
Friggin Idiot Friggin Idiot is offline
Senior Member
Friggin Idiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Central City, OH
Age: 37
Posts: 1,159
Real Name: Luke
Friggin Idiot has a spectacular aura about Friggin Idiot has a spectacular aura about Friggin Idiot has a spectacular aura about
I'm too tired to try and figure out if this would work, but initial impression is that you're adding a relay in order to get the fog lights to come on only when the headlights are on (either high or low)?
Also you realize what it takes to get at that wire (Body ECU 13) right? Basically means removing the Body ECU from the dash which isn't easy or quick. I did it for my DRL Toggle Mod. Honestly you'd get it done more quickly and simpler with Antman's Mod, plus be able to run with out headlights. Besides do you really need the fog light LED on the dash if you can see/feel the switch? When you can't see/feel the switch easily, it's probably dark enough that you'll see the fog lights!
__________________
"But what do I know.... I'm just a Friggin' Idiot!"
The Idiot Thread - 2014 Trail Premium w/KDSS & some mods

Last edited by Friggin Idiot; 09-30-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Friggin Idiot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:53 PM #4
Daikon's Avatar
Daikon Daikon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: LAX
Posts: 237
Daikon will become famous soon enough Daikon will become famous soon enough
Daikon Daikon is offline
Member
Daikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: LAX
Posts: 237
Daikon will become famous soon enough Daikon will become famous soon enough
I just got BD plug and play fog lights.
Daikon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:28 AM #5
aceee aceee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Socal
Posts: 99
aceee is on a distinguished road
aceee aceee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Socal
Posts: 99
aceee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikon View Post
I just got BD plug and play fog lights.
What do your bd fogs have to do with anything in this thread? OP is talking about the anytime fog light mod where you can turn on your fogs without needing to have your low beams on. When you do that mod, the fog light indicator on your cluster doesn't work anymore.
aceee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:58 PM #6
mugenrios2k mugenrios2k is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 145
mugenrios2k is on a distinguished road
mugenrios2k mugenrios2k is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 145
mugenrios2k is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friggin Idiot View Post
I'm too tired to try and figure out if this would work, but initial impression is that you're adding a relay in order to get the fog lights to come on only when the headlights are on (either high or low)?
Also you realize what it takes to get at that wire (Body ECU 13) right? Basically means removing the Body ECU from the dash which isn't easy or quick. I did it for my DRL Toggle Mod. Honestly you'd get it done more quickly and simpler with Antman's Mod, plus be able to run with out headlights. Besides do you really need the fog light LED on the dash if you can see/feel the switch? When you can't see/feel the switch easily, it's probably dark enough that you'll see the fog lights!
No dont really need the can bus light on the dash but was think if it was a simple as adding a DPDT relay than why not...

I was wondering if that BODY ecu 13 was internal/ tracer to a circuit board
mugenrios2k is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:54 PM #7
Daikon's Avatar
Daikon Daikon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: LAX
Posts: 237
Daikon will become famous soon enough Daikon will become famous soon enough
Daikon Daikon is offline
Member
Daikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: LAX
Posts: 237
Daikon will become famous soon enough Daikon will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceee View Post
What do your bd fogs have to do with anything in this thread? OP is talking about the anytime fog light mod where you can turn on your fogs without needing to have your low beams on. When you do that mod, the fog light indicator on your cluster doesn't work anymore.
oops.
Daikon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:10 PM #8
mugenrios2k mugenrios2k is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 145
mugenrios2k is on a distinguished road
mugenrios2k mugenrios2k is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 145
mugenrios2k is on a distinguished road
Used a Single DPDT ( double pole double throw relay) and was able to have

fog light on with parking lights ( no fog dash indicator),
Auto mode and low beam Fogs on ( WITH fog dash indicator)
Hi beam +Low+ fogs ( no fog dash indicator)

Also fogs remain off with Auto/DRL mode unless auto switches over to low beams on then the fogs come on as well ( with fog light switch in the on position) .

So from the prospective of dash indicators keeps stock indicator conditions and fog light switch still operates like stock with added functionality for other headlight modes

Also as a fail safe if you leave your headlights on or in parking light mode after parking; the Stock ECU time out still works turning off ALL LIGHTs after time out....
You still have all lights continuous on after shut down if you cycle headlight switch after shutdown.

Last edited by mugenrios2k; 11-18-2019 at 09:15 PM.
mugenrios2k is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:21 PM #9
262T4Runner 262T4Runner is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NTX
Posts: 4
262T4Runner is an unknown quantity at this point
262T4Runner 262T4Runner is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NTX
Posts: 4
262T4Runner is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenrios2k View Post
Used a Single DPDT ( double pole double throw relay) and was able to have

fog light on with parking lights ( no fog dash indicator),
Auto mode and low beam Fogs on ( WITH fog dash indicator)
Hi beam +Low+ fogs ( no fog dash indicator)

Also fogs remain off with Auto/DRL mode unless auto switches over to low beams on then the fogs come on as well ( with fog light switch in the on position) .

So from the prospective of dash indicators keeps stock indicator conditions and fog light switch still operates like stock with added functionality for other headlight modes

Also as a fail safe if you leave your headlights on or in parking light mode after parking; the Stock ECU time out still works turning off ALL LIGHTs after time out....
You still have all lights continuous on after shut down if you cycle headlight switch after shutdown.
@mugenrios2k That great. I would like to do this too. Can you tell me exectly where in the vehicle and the color code of the wire you tapped the DPDT relay into?

Thanks
__________________
The only limits you have is what you set for yourself.
262T4Runner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:46 AM #10
HanginInUtah's Avatar
HanginInUtah HanginInUtah is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: West Jordan, UT
Posts: 260
Real Name: Ben
HanginInUtah will become famous soon enough
HanginInUtah HanginInUtah is offline
Member
HanginInUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: West Jordan, UT
Posts: 260
Real Name: Ben
HanginInUtah will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friggin Idiot View Post
Besides do you really need the fog light LED on the dash if you can see/feel the switch? When you can't see/feel the switch easily, it's probably dark enough that you'll see the fog lights!
You're right. But... IF you can make it work like it's a factory thing (dash light comes on whenever the lights are on) then you've won the challenge of 'how did they do that?'

This is on my list of mod's (the way Antman did it) but I've always wondered if there was a way to make the dash indicator work this way, too. So, I'll be over here watching...
__________________
1992 3.0 Auto - First Project -Sold-
1995 3.0 Manual - Second Project - Sold-
2018 TRD ORP Barcelona Red
HanginInUtah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:02 PM #11
mugenrios2k mugenrios2k is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 145
mugenrios2k is on a distinguished road
mugenrios2k mugenrios2k is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 145
mugenrios2k is on a distinguished road
There is the digram of the wire setup to make this work...
Reminder this setup requires that at least the parking lights to be switched to on

This is NOT FOG light on at any time.


To find the correct wires I used a test probe to find the +12V switched coming from the dimmer dial. ( blue doubled dashed line)

and the same probe to figure out the wire coming out of the ECU that is the power supply to the fog lights ( dashed red line)
Attached Images
Fog light mod and keep CAN bus Dash Light DPDT Relay-4runner-fog-light-mod-jpg 

Last edited by mugenrios2k; 06-12-2020 at 10:06 PM.
mugenrios2k is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beam , bus , dash , fog , light

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AC light flashing, relay is good james.wetzstein 4th Gen T4Rs 18 01-25-2020 03:18 PM
Need help finding a dpdt switch that will fit the 4runner dash myarrowsaim 5th gen T4Rs 6 08-24-2019 10:59 AM
Light Bar Relay and Fuse Wookiemonster 5th gen T4Rs 0 07-08-2017 02:12 PM
WTB 3RD Gen Fog Light Relay Whiplash Willy Classifieds - buy & sell (no commercial ads please) 1 06-08-2010 05:38 PM
Tail Light Relay YZFjeremy Classic T4Rs 0 09-17-2006 12:06 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020