User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2021, 12:29 PM #166
Charles Bronson Charles Bronson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Earth
Posts: 108
Charles Bronson will become famous soon enough
Charles Bronson Charles Bronson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Earth
Posts: 108
Charles Bronson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorotHex View Post
Somewhere upstream of your mufflers you’ll have a resonator most likely. You can just put another one in before or after. If you don’t like it just remove it and try more expensive options.

A decent muffler shop can hear your concerns and help.
There are no resonators in the OEM or TRD system. I'm well versed in auto mechanics (30 years working on cars) and do much of my own work on my vehicles. There is no room for a resonator of any meaningful size (i.e., 12"+), unfortunately. The muffler on either system is too long and there is no room before the exhaust pipe goes over the axle and there's little room forward of the muffler and aft of the catalytic converters. Also, resonators won't do much for volume, they just smooth out the sound. We really need a second small muffler which defeats the purpose of a high-flow system.
LOL.

I yanked the TRD exhaust and put the OEM exhaust back on my wife's 2020 4runner a couple weeks back. The truck is SO MUCH BETTER. It's quiet, smooth, and oddly, I swear it feels more responsive. Even the 4-5 downshifting which is common on the highway is no big deal now because you hardly hear it. I love driving it now. Of course, my wife misses the sound and hates that her 4runner sounds like all the others. I think she's off her freaking rocker in thinking that the moaning/droning TRD exhaust sounds good.

If I have to put that POS system back on, I'm wrapping the muffler in exhaust insulation and the exhaust pipe in heat wrap. I don't give a flying fart if I rot that system by doing that. I'll also cut the TRD tip off and add a resonated one and install one or two exhaust inserts: 2.5" Exhaust Cone Insert Sound Reducer | ZZPerformance. We're talking $300 in mods to the exhaust system and sound insulation and I still doubt it will do much.

I can't stress enough how much the TRD exhaust degrades this truck. I'm all for good sounding exhausts (my BMW M235 has a high flow downpipe and catback), but you can't make an naturally aspirated V6 sound good. Impossible. Period.

Last edited by Charles Bronson; 08-18-2021 at 01:36 PM.
Charles Bronson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:20 AM #167
Pedro367 Pedro367 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Denville, NJ
Posts: 229
Pedro367 will become famous soon enough Pedro367 will become famous soon enough
Pedro367 Pedro367 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Denville, NJ
Posts: 229
Pedro367 will become famous soon enough Pedro367 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Bronson View Post

I can't stress enough how much the TRD exhaust degrades this truck. I'm all for good sounding exhausts (my BMW M235 has a high flow downpipe and catback), but you can't make an naturally aspirated V6 sound good. Impossible. Period.
Agree with this 1000%. I haven't heard one "normal" V6 vehicle with an exhaust sound good. Looking at you too, Jeep owners with Metal Muhlisha exhausts....
__________________
Pete - 2018 Silver ORP w/ KDSS. Cornfed 1" Level and KO2s.
Pedro367 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:10 AM #168
AgentKooper AgentKooper is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Colorado
Posts: 128
AgentKooper will become famous soon enough
AgentKooper AgentKooper is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Colorado
Posts: 128
AgentKooper will become famous soon enough
'20 TRD Pro Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Bronson View Post
There are no resonators in the OEM or TRD system. I'm well versed in auto mechanics (30 years working on cars) and do much of my own work on my vehicles. There is no room for a resonator of any meaningful size (i.e., 12"+), unfortunately. The muffler on either system is too long and there is no room before the exhaust pipe goes over the axle and there's little room forward of the muffler and aft of the catalytic converters. Also, resonators won't do much for volume, they just smooth out the sound. We really need a second small muffler which defeats the purpose of a high-flow system.
LOL.

I yanked the TRD exhaust and put the OEM exhaust back on my wife's 2020 4runner a couple weeks back. The truck is SO MUCH BETTER. It's quiet, smooth, and oddly, I swear it feels more responsive. Even the 4-5 downshifting which is common on the highway is no big deal now because you hardly hear it. I love driving it now. Of course, my wife misses the sound and hates that her 4runner sounds like all the others. I think she's off her freaking rocker in thinking that the moaning/droning TRD exhaust sounds good.

If I have to put that POS system back on, I'm wrapping the muffler in exhaust insulation and the exhaust pipe in heat wrap. I don't give a flying fart if I rot that system by doing that. I'll also cut the TRD tip off and add a resonated one and install one or two exhaust inserts: 2.5" Exhaust Cone Insert Sound Reducer | ZZPerformance. We're talking $300 in mods to the exhaust system and sound insulation and I still doubt it will do much.

I can't stress enough how much the TRD exhaust degrades this truck. I'm all for good sounding exhausts (my BMW M235 has a high flow downpipe and catback), but you can't make an naturally aspirated V6 sound good. Impossible. Period.

Whyíd you take it off your wifeís car if she loves it? Iíve got over 6,000 miles in my 2021 TRDP, and the exhaust doesnít bother me at all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2021 4Runner TRD Pro (Lunar Rock)
AgentKooper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:52 AM #169
BorotHex BorotHex is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 272
BorotHex will become famous soon enough BorotHex will become famous soon enough
BorotHex BorotHex is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 272
BorotHex will become famous soon enough BorotHex will become famous soon enough
'20 TRD Pro Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
Whyíd you take it off your wifeís car if she loves it? Iíve got over 6,000 miles in my 2021 TRDP, and the exhaust doesnít bother me at all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearly he sees Toyotaís design as a flawed mistake that must be resolved to suit him, and him alone.

We all have exhaust opinions, so I say whatever. Seems like a waste of time and money if the wife doesnít care.
BorotHex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:22 AM #170
Charles Bronson Charles Bronson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Earth
Posts: 108
Charles Bronson will become famous soon enough
Charles Bronson Charles Bronson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Earth
Posts: 108
Charles Bronson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
Why’d you take it off your wife’s car if she loves it? I’ve got over 6,000 miles in my 2021 TRDP, and the exhaust doesn’t bother me at all.
Perhaps in CO you don't often drive at high speeds and slow/steady grades that result in a lot of droning.

My wife agreed to remove it (possibly only temporarily) because when we're on longer trips on the highway (5th gear, 65-80mph), people in truck, especially those the back seat must endure the constant bassy drone of the TRD exhaust as it varies its drone tone in 4th and 5th gear in the super annoying drone range of ~1700-2300rpms. When it's hot out (75+ degrees), the TRD exhaust gets deeper/louder which is something I've noticed on all aftermarket exhausts I've owned. The drone also gets worse if you load up the back which is the exact opposite of what I thought would happen. The excessive exhaust volume also overpowers the stereo when at typical sane volumes so it forces you to increase the volume and then it becomes too loud for others in the truck trying to listen to their own music/videos.

FYI, your TRD exhaust will get louder and drone as it ages and carbon builds up in the interior. The TRD really group sucks when it comes to designing exhausts. I haven't read a single review of a TRD exhaust for any Toyota product that doesn't report it as being boomy, loud, and droning. Automatics only compound this issue.

The TRD exhaust on the 4Runner has by far the worst drone I've ever heard in a vehicle and I've had some loud exhausts in the past. The fact that this is a V6 makes the drone frequency far less pleasing than something like a V8 which has a mellower, more soothing drone frequency.

Last edited by Charles Bronson; 08-19-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Charles Bronson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:38 AM #171
AgentKooper AgentKooper is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Colorado
Posts: 128
AgentKooper will become famous soon enough
AgentKooper AgentKooper is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Colorado
Posts: 128
AgentKooper will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Bronson View Post
Perhaps in CO you don't often drive at high speeds and slow/steady grades that result in a lot of droning.

My wife agreed to remove it (possibly only temporarily) because when we're on longer trips on the highway (5th gear, 65-80mph), people in truck, especially those the back seat must endure the constant bassy drone of the TRD exhaust as it varies its drone tone in 4th and 5th gear in the super annoying drone range of ~1700-2300rpms. When it's hot out (75+ degrees), the TRD exhaust gets deeper/louder which is something I've noticed on all aftermarket exhausts I've owned. The drone also gets worse if you load up the back which is the exact opposite of what I thought would happen. The excessive exhaust volume also overpowers the stereo when at typical sane volumes so it forces you to increase the volume and then it becomes too loud for others in the truck trying to listen to their own music/videos.

FYI, your TRD exhaust will get louder and drone as it ages and carbon builds up in the interior. The TRD really group sucks when it comes to designing exhausts. I haven't read a single review of a TRD exhaust for any Toyota product that doesn't report it as being boomy, loud, and droning. Automatics only compound this issue.

The TRD exhaust on the 4Runner has by far the worst drone I've ever heard in a vehicle and I've had some loud exhausts in the past. The fact that this is a V6 makes the drone frequency far less pleasing than something like a V8 which has a mellower, more soothing drone frequency.
Well, sounds like itís not working for you, so Iím glad you got it changed. Iím frequently driving from Denver up to the mountains, up very long grades. None of the V6 engines Iíve had sound particularly great when pushed up Vail pass. For me personally, the TRD exhaust isnít an issue, so just adding that different perspective here.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2021 4Runner TRD Pro (Lunar Rock)
AgentKooper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:05 AM #172
Charles Bronson Charles Bronson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Earth
Posts: 108
Charles Bronson will become famous soon enough
Charles Bronson Charles Bronson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Earth
Posts: 108
Charles Bronson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
Well, sounds like it’s not working for you, so I’m glad you got it changed. I’m frequently driving from Denver up to the mountains, up very long grades. None of the V6 engines I’ve had sound particularly great when pushed up Vail pass. For me personally, the TRD exhaust isn’t an issue, so just adding that different perspective here.
Around town below 50mph and once the rpms are over 2500rpms or so like hilly and mountain driving, I find the TRD exhaust completely acceptable. The issue is that the drone hits right at around 1800-2100rpms which is the rpm the transmission is constantly seeking at light throttle.

I would actually drive the truck in 4th a lot of time on the highway at speeds below 75mph to keep the rpms above the drone range. It does impact MPGs, but not as badly as I thought it would (only about 1 mpg).

Per a majority of the 2020+ 4Runner TRD Pro journalist reviews, the TRD exhaust is excessive and needless on the highway. I should have listened to them! LOL
Charles Bronson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 12:25 PM #173
MGordo MGordo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Calgary
Posts: 250
MGordo has a spectacular aura about MGordo has a spectacular aura about
MGordo MGordo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Calgary
Posts: 250
MGordo has a spectacular aura about MGordo has a spectacular aura about
My main complaint about the exhaust is that the tip goes from a gloss black to a matte corroded blotchy mess. May just have to rattle can it matte black to at least have it a consistent color.
MGordo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 12:45 PM #174
2021nightshade4x4 2021nightshade4x4 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 482
2021nightshade4x4 will become famous soon enough 2021nightshade4x4 will become famous soon enough
2021nightshade4x4 2021nightshade4x4 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 482
2021nightshade4x4 will become famous soon enough 2021nightshade4x4 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGordo View Post
My main complaint about the exhaust is that the tip goes from a gloss black to a matte corroded blotchy mess. May just have to rattle can it matte black to at least have it a consistent color.

No such thing as exhaust paint but would engine paint work?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021nightshade4x4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:23 PM #175
Charles Bronson Charles Bronson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Earth
Posts: 108
Charles Bronson will become famous soon enough
Charles Bronson Charles Bronson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Earth
Posts: 108
Charles Bronson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGordo View Post
My main complaint about the exhaust is that the tip goes from a gloss black to a matte corroded blotchy mess. May just have to rattle can it matte black to at least have it a consistent color.
Agreed. I would recommend cleaning the tip thoroughly, then scuffing it with a light grit sand paper, wipe down with rubbing alcohol, apply and then apply 3 to 4 coats of BBQ/grill paint. I did that on my BMW M235's exhaust tips and muffler can (I used flat black for both).

Rust-Oleum 7778830 High Heat Enamel Spray Paint, 12 oz, Bar-B-Que Black - Spray Paints - Amazon.com

If I have to put the TRD exhaust back on, I'm chopping off the exhaust tip and adding a resonated one.
Charles Bronson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:20 PM #176
jasxn's Avatar
jasxn jasxn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Marina del Rey
Posts: 392
jasxn will become famous soon enough
jasxn jasxn is offline
Member
jasxn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Marina del Rey
Posts: 392
jasxn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Bronson View Post
does this really work? I have a borla s-type and just like the Pro exhaust, when you hit a certain rpm the drone gets annoying and/or driving up mountains/hills/etc...

as you can see i'm being very lazy to reinstall the oem.....
__________________
i got the stuff
jasxn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:29 PM #177
mmike87 mmike87 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 151
mmike87 is on a distinguished road
mmike87 mmike87 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 151
mmike87 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Bronson View Post
Perhaps in CO you don't often drive at high speeds and slow/steady grades that result in a lot of droning.

My wife agreed to remove it (possibly only temporarily) because when we're on longer trips on the highway (5th gear, 65-80mph), people in truck, especially those the back seat must endure the constant bassy drone of the TRD exhaust as it varies its drone tone in 4th and 5th gear in the super annoying drone range of ~1700-2300rpms. When it's hot out (75+ degrees), the TRD exhaust gets deeper/louder which is something I've noticed on all aftermarket exhausts I've owned. The drone also gets worse if you load up the back which is the exact opposite of what I thought would happen. The excessive exhaust volume also overpowers the stereo when at typical sane volumes so it forces you to increase the volume and then it becomes too loud for others in the truck trying to listen to their own music/videos.

FYI, your TRD exhaust will get louder and drone as it ages and carbon builds up in the interior. The TRD really group sucks when it comes to designing exhausts. I haven't read a single review of a TRD exhaust for any Toyota product that doesn't report it as being boomy, loud, and droning. Automatics only compound this issue.

The TRD exhaust on the 4Runner has by far the worst drone I've ever heard in a vehicle and I've had some loud exhausts in the past. The fact that this is a V6 makes the drone frequency far less pleasing than something like a V8 which has a mellower, more soothing drone frequency.
I had a NISMO exhaust on a 2011 3.5L Altima ... By far worse than my TRD exhaust. Looked great, made me want to blow my own eardrums out to stop the drone.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
mmike87 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:05 PM #178
josephp732 josephp732 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: FL/NJ
Posts: 60
Real Name: Joe
josephp732 is on a distinguished road
josephp732 josephp732 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: FL/NJ
Posts: 60
Real Name: Joe
josephp732 is on a distinguished road
I just got a 2021 TRD ORP that has a factory installed TRD exhaust. Having a 2019 TRD OR and a 2019 Limited - I thought the 2021 sounded cool on the test drive.....well with only 200 miles on the new truck and about 100 of them highway miles...the drone of this exhaust is really tough for me to listen to.

Graciously another forum member has offered up his stock exhaust, but I am also very curious how the Borla Touring Exhaust and the Magnaflow Overland Exhaust compare to the original stock exhaust - are they a little deeper with-out the drone?
__________________
2019 White 4Runner Limited - NJ
2019 Black 4Runner TRD Off Road - NJ
2019 Silver 4Runner Limited - FL
josephp732 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:20 AM #179
TrailRunnin14's Avatar
TrailRunnin14 TrailRunnin14 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 191
TrailRunnin14 will become famous soon enough TrailRunnin14 will become famous soon enough
TrailRunnin14 TrailRunnin14 is offline
Member
TrailRunnin14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 191
TrailRunnin14 will become famous soon enough TrailRunnin14 will become famous soon enough
I just put the TRD exhaust on my 2014 over the weekend. I was expecting a bad drone after reading all of the complaints. We are realize that this is a V6, so itís not going to sound great. Iím guessing from most of the complaints that people have not run an exhaust on a V6 before. I would honestly say that the TRD exhaust is relatively quiet and I donít experience a drone at all on the highway. Now if you were running a 14Ē Magnaflow of something like that then that would be another story.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TrailRunnin14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:04 AM #180
josephp732 josephp732 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: FL/NJ
Posts: 60
Real Name: Joe
josephp732 is on a distinguished road
josephp732 josephp732 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: FL/NJ
Posts: 60
Real Name: Joe
josephp732 is on a distinguished road
For me the drone is really difficult on my ears when accelerating up grades and at highway speeds around 70MPH running at ~2,300 RPM's. My wife and I also tow a boat from NJ to FL twice year and I think driving this rig for over 20 hours and 1,300 miles would be a very tough listening experience.

I had a 4.6L Mustang GT that use to drone with an aftermarket exhaust right at 1,800rpm's.

Now my 67' Barracuda Fastback with a 383-cid B-block and glass packs sounds very loud but very sweet.

I know there is a huge disparity in what people find tolerable with exhaust sound/volume/drone - I am just wondering what people experience with other aftermarket systems.
__________________
2019 White 4Runner Limited - NJ
2019 Black 4Runner TRD Off Road - NJ
2019 Silver 4Runner Limited - FL

Last edited by josephp732; 09-27-2021 at 10:37 AM.
josephp732 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drone , exhaust , long , pro , trd

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exhaust Sounds From Outside Above Exhaust liqourish 4th Gen T4Rs 4 06-13-2017 07:03 PM
4runner exhaust vs highlander exhaust bgibbs11 General Discussions 0 07-01-2013 01:09 PM
Trade my Borla Dual Exhaust for your stock exhaust Sarasota Pimp Zone 1 06-17-2011 03:53 AM
Will trade my Magnaflow exhaust for a stock Toyota exhaust vpritchina Classifieds - buy & sell (no commercial ads please) 31 07-19-2008 01:31 AM
TRD Exhaust Vs. Aftermarket exhaust warrior3313 Engines / Suspension / Wheels / Tires / Audio / Accessories 2 01-25-2008 11:07 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020