User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2020, 05:41 PM #16
Sonoran_Desert Sonoran_Desert is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: S. Arizona
Posts: 97
Real Name: Jo
Sonoran_Desert is on a distinguished road
Sonoran_Desert Sonoran_Desert is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: S. Arizona
Posts: 97
Real Name: Jo
Sonoran_Desert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by labrunner_t4r_ View Post
So I had the transmission flushed this morning, and its still got the shudder. I am stil under warranty (up until 60k on drivetrain... I'll double check mileage) but I'm sitting under 21k right now. Theres nothing "good" feeling about the shudder, and I can only guess that it will only get worse as time goes on. Then with my luck, the transmission will shit itself at 60,001 miles and I'll be completely screwed. May need to take you up on that offer for the draft. You rock.

Shudder Fix seems to work, but pouring non-oem liquids into a new truck to achieve a normal ride is not right. I hope the Toy tech rep can help.
Sonoran_Desert is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:05 PM #17
labrunner_t4r_'s Avatar
labrunner_t4r_ labrunner_t4r_ is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bogue, NC
Age: 44
Posts: 25
Real Name: Tim
labrunner_t4r_ is on a distinguished road
labrunner_t4r_ labrunner_t4r_ is offline
Junior Member
labrunner_t4r_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bogue, NC
Age: 44
Posts: 25
Real Name: Tim
labrunner_t4r_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoran_Desert View Post
Shudder Fix seems to work, but pouring non-oem liquids into a new truck to achieve a normal ride is not right. I hope the Toy tech rep can help.
I've heard good things about that product, but I agree. I don't think I should be having transmission issues at 20k miles. I really was hoping the flush would have corrected it, but that didn't happen. Now I'm worried that there is a underlying issue that will be hard to find until some sort of mechanical failure. They said it popped no codes again, so I'm gonna drive it a few more weeks, and then go back and get a Toyota Tech to see what they think. Everything I've read up on sounds like it ould be a Tq Converter. That had better be under warranty, because that bad boy isn't cheap.
__________________


2019 TRD Pro

SOBX Living
labrunner_t4r_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:07 PM #18
pointman pointman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 450
pointman will become famous soon enough pointman will become famous soon enough
pointman pointman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 450
pointman will become famous soon enough pointman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by labrunner_t4r_ View Post
So I had the transmission flushed this morning, and its still got the shudder. I am stil under warranty (up until 60k on drivetrain... I'll double check mileage) but I'm sitting under 21k right now. Theres nothing "good" feeling about the shudder, and I can only guess that it will only get worse as time goes on. Then with my luck, the transmission will shit itself at 60,001 miles and I'll be completely screwed. May need to take you up on that offer for the draft. You rock.
No worries. Happy to help the community when I can. I've drafted several letters for 4Runner owners. Before though, again make sure you take the proper steps to make it work in your favor. You can call into the dealership you are working with, or look online at their website, and email the Service Manager. Detail what is going on, and your concerns. This way, you have a log of all that was said and transpired. Contact Toyota USA as well. That helps somewhat. You'll hear back from both corporate and the local dealer. They will know what you are doing and keeping records. It will push them to help you. Worst case scenario, we send a certified letter. Don't worry, I think this will be resolved.

Last edited by pointman; 08-13-2020 at 10:13 PM.
pointman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:07 AM #19
labrunner_t4r_'s Avatar
labrunner_t4r_ labrunner_t4r_ is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bogue, NC
Age: 44
Posts: 25
Real Name: Tim
labrunner_t4r_ is on a distinguished road
labrunner_t4r_ labrunner_t4r_ is offline
Junior Member
labrunner_t4r_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bogue, NC
Age: 44
Posts: 25
Real Name: Tim
labrunner_t4r_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
No worries. Happy to help the community when I can. I've drafted several letters for 4Runner owners. Before though, again make sure you take the proper steps to make it work in your favor. You can call into the dealership you are working with, or look online at their website, and email the Service Manager. Detail what is going on, and your concerns. This way, you have a log off all that was said and transpired. Contact Toyota USA as well. That helps somewhat. You'll hear back from both corporate and the local dealer. They will know what you are doing and keeping records. It will push them to help you. Worst case scenario, we send a certified letter. Don't worry, I think this will be resolved.
I definitely appreciate the help in advance. I am keeping a log, and I'm showing that I have been working with the dealership to fix it. I let them tell me it might be an alignment issue and paid the hundred bucks for that, drove it for a few weeks with no improvement, then I went back yesterday and paid the two hundred bucks for the flush and fill of the transmission with no improvement on the issue. I know I've paid a few bucks out of pocket, but I want to show that I've tried to resolve this thing before I try to talk warranty with Toyota. Alignment was past its warranty, and the drivetrain warranty and engine warranty do not cover fluids. So now, I want to drive it for a month or so to show I was trying to see if the shudder would go away. Next step is getting with a Toyota Technician like you said.
__________________


2019 TRD Pro

SOBX Living
labrunner_t4r_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:22 PM #20
pointman pointman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 450
pointman will become famous soon enough pointman will become famous soon enough
pointman pointman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 450
pointman will become famous soon enough pointman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by labrunner_t4r_ View Post
I definitely appreciate the help in advance. I am keeping a log, and I'm showing that I have been working with the dealership to fix it. I let them tell me it might be an alignment issue and paid the hundred bucks for that, drove it for a few weeks with no improvement, then I went back yesterday and paid the two hundred bucks for the flush and fill of the transmission with no improvement on the issue. I know I've paid a few bucks out of pocket, but I want to show that I've tried to resolve this thing before I try to talk warranty with Toyota. Alignment was past its warranty, and the drivetrain warranty and engine warranty do not cover fluids. So now, I want to drive it for a month or so to show I was trying to see if the shudder would go away. Next step is getting with a Toyota Technician like you said.
My apologies, I missed it if you had previously stated but what is your current warranty status? You are no longer in the 3/36?

Bringing it in, state the reason why you are bringing it in so that the work order shows exactly that, 'customer states ongoing issue regarding,' and leave it at that. Let the dealership's service department make suggestions and then when speaking to them state what it is you want. That way the paperwork will reflect the issue over and over again. Its key having the paperwork state the issue of why it is you continue to bring it in and do what they request.
pointman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:37 PM #21
labrunner_t4r_'s Avatar
labrunner_t4r_ labrunner_t4r_ is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bogue, NC
Age: 44
Posts: 25
Real Name: Tim
labrunner_t4r_ is on a distinguished road
labrunner_t4r_ labrunner_t4r_ is offline
Junior Member
labrunner_t4r_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bogue, NC
Age: 44
Posts: 25
Real Name: Tim
labrunner_t4r_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
My apologies, I missed it if you had previously stated but what is your current warranty status? You are no longer in the 3/36?

Bringing it in, state the reason why you are bringing it in so that the work order shows exactly that, 'customer states ongoing issue regarding,' and leave it at that. Let the dealership's service department make suggestions and then when speaking to them state what it is you want. That way the paperwork will reflect the issue over and over again. Its key having the paperwork state the issue of why it is you continue to bring it in and do what they request.
I am under the 3/36 still, and my understanding is there is a powertrain warranty up till 60k, but I might be mistaken. I'll have to start ensuring that the paperwork says what the problem is. Its just what I've had done on the paperwork that I have. Guess that was a dumb oversight on my part. The funny thing is that when deriving it today the shudder seemed weaker. Very hard to notice when driving forward, but still noticeable in reverse.
__________________


2019 TRD Pro

SOBX Living
labrunner_t4r_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:56 PM #22
pointman pointman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 450
pointman will become famous soon enough pointman will become famous soon enough
pointman pointman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 450
pointman will become famous soon enough pointman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by labrunner_t4r_ View Post
I am under the 3/36 still, and my understanding is there is a powertrain warranty up till 60k, but I might be mistaken. I'll have to start ensuring that the paperwork says what the problem is. Its just what I've had done on the paperwork that I have. Guess that was a dumb oversight on my part. The funny thing is that when deriving it today the shudder seemed weaker. Very hard to notice when driving forward, but still noticeable in reverse.
If you make your appointments online then you can write down exactly what you want to have appear on your paperwork. Thats a good option.

Any chance you replaced one tire separately?
pointman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:19 PM #23
labrunner_t4r_'s Avatar
labrunner_t4r_ labrunner_t4r_ is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bogue, NC
Age: 44
Posts: 25
Real Name: Tim
labrunner_t4r_ is on a distinguished road
labrunner_t4r_ labrunner_t4r_ is offline
Junior Member
labrunner_t4r_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bogue, NC
Age: 44
Posts: 25
Real Name: Tim
labrunner_t4r_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
If you make your appointments online then you can write down exactly what you want to have appear on your paperwork. Thats a good option.

Any chance you replaced one tire separately?
Not a bad idea... I'll make sure I do the "add note" option next appointment. No, I haven't changed just one tire, but they did say my left front was pretty well out of alignment at the first appointment. Maybe it was the tread wear? I swear I'm going crazy, but I'm about to either prove that theory right, or blow it out of the water. I'm swapping my wife's Tacoma tires onto my 4Runner this weekend. If its a tire issue, that should tell me right then and ther, right?
__________________


2019 TRD Pro

SOBX Living
labrunner_t4r_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:26 PM #24
pointman pointman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 450
pointman will become famous soon enough pointman will become famous soon enough
pointman pointman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 450
pointman will become famous soon enough pointman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by labrunner_t4r_ View Post
Not a bad idea... I'll make sure I do the "add note" option next appointment. No, I haven't changed just one tire, but they did say my left front was pretty well out of alignment at the first appointment. Maybe it was the tread wear? I swear I'm going crazy, but I'm about to either prove that theory right, or blow it out of the water. I'm swapping my wife's Tacoma tires onto my 4Runner this weekend. If its a tire issue, that should tell me right then and ther, right?
I had a Raptor where the front tires and rears weren't the same tread, and it would shutter a bit at times, and 100% in reverse. Turned out that was the culprit. 4 new tires and the issue was gone. Expensive thing to test though.
pointman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:43 PM #25
labrunner_t4r_'s Avatar
labrunner_t4r_ labrunner_t4r_ is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bogue, NC
Age: 44
Posts: 25
Real Name: Tim
labrunner_t4r_ is on a distinguished road
labrunner_t4r_ labrunner_t4r_ is offline
Junior Member
labrunner_t4r_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bogue, NC
Age: 44
Posts: 25
Real Name: Tim
labrunner_t4r_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
I had a Raptor where the front tires and rears weren't the same tread, and it would shutter a bit at times, and 100% in reverse. Turned out that was the culprit. 4 new tires and the issue was gone. Expensive thing to test though.
Ouch, yeah I'm not ready to upgrade to the Ridge Grapplers just yet. There's still quite a bit of tread left on the Terra Grapplers, so we'll see what happens when I switch the Tacoma tires onto it this weekend. But it definitely feels worse in reverse. I'd take a tire/tread wear problem right now over a transmission issue though lol
__________________


2019 TRD Pro

SOBX Living
labrunner_t4r_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:45 PM #26
pointman pointman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 450
pointman will become famous soon enough pointman will become famous soon enough
pointman pointman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 450
pointman will become famous soon enough pointman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by labrunner_t4r_ View Post
Ouch, yeah I'm not ready to upgrade to the Ridge Grapplers just yet. There's still quite a bit of tread left on the Terra Grapplers, so we'll see what happens when I switch the Tacoma tires onto it this weekend. But it definitely feels worse in reverse. I'd take a tire/tread wear problem right now over a transmission issue though lol
Don't know how true, but according to Ford, the stutter associated with uneven tread did take a toll on the vehicles various components. What specifically, I don't recall. Just a heads up. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
pointman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:01 PM #27
labrunner_t4r_'s Avatar
labrunner_t4r_ labrunner_t4r_ is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bogue, NC
Age: 44
Posts: 25
Real Name: Tim
labrunner_t4r_ is on a distinguished road
labrunner_t4r_ labrunner_t4r_ is offline
Junior Member
labrunner_t4r_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bogue, NC
Age: 44
Posts: 25
Real Name: Tim
labrunner_t4r_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
Don't know how true, but according to Ford, the stutter associated with uneven tread did take a toll on the vehicles various components. What specifically, I don't recall. Just a heads up. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
So good news, it was a tire issue thank God. We swapped the tires over from my wife's Tacoma and when out driving ther was no shudder at all. Put my tires back as they were, and the shudder was back in full effect. We ended up taking the back right tire, putting it on the front left, the back left onto the front right, and the two front straight back. The shudder is there, but nowhere near as strong, and you can tell its no longer towards the front of the vehicle. So, one of the two front tires is jacked up in some form. Looked at them off the truck and the tread looks good. Neither rim looks bent. Maybe a faulty tire with something internally screwed up? All I know is I'm going to ride it for a few hundred more miles to see if the tread wears down more evenly. If not, I'll be going back to Toyota to see if I threw a wheel weight or maybe a belt is screwy? I'm just happy to know this wasn't a transmission issue. That had me sweating the fights with Toyota to come, but I still appreciate the help from here. You guys at least kept me sane until I could figure this out.
__________________


2019 TRD Pro

SOBX Living
labrunner_t4r_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:24 PM #28
pointman pointman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 450
pointman will become famous soon enough pointman will become famous soon enough
pointman pointman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 450
pointman will become famous soon enough pointman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by labrunner_t4r_ View Post
So good news, it was a tire issue thank God. We swapped the tires over from my wife's Tacoma and when out driving ther was no shudder at all. Put my tires back as they were, and the shudder was back in full effect. We ended up taking the back right tire, putting it on the front left, the back left onto the front right, and the two front straight back. The shudder is there, but nowhere near as strong, and you can tell its no longer towards the front of the vehicle. So, one of the two front tires is jacked up in some form. Looked at them off the truck and the tread looks good. Neither rim looks bent. Maybe a faulty tire with something internally screwed up? All I know is I'm going to ride it for a few hundred more miles to see if the tread wears down more evenly. If not, I'll be going back to Toyota to see if I threw a wheel weight or maybe a belt is screwy? I'm just happy to know this wasn't a transmission issue. That had me sweating the fights with Toyota to come, but I still appreciate the help from here. You guys at least kept me sane until I could figure this out.
Good stuff. Thanks for the update. Worst case, you can buy tires from Tirerack and they will shave them down to the tread depth you like so it matches the other tires. At least they used to do that.

Fighting Toyota is a losing battle. Glad we didn't have to go that route.
pointman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:27 PM #29
tls3601 tls3601 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 282
Real Name: Tom
tls3601 will become famous soon enough
tls3601 tls3601 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 282
Real Name: Tom
tls3601 will become famous soon enough
I have exact same issue on exact some 19 Pro with original tires but mine occurs between 50-60mph in 5th gear. I do have access to trying out some other tires and wheels as my girlfriend has. a 17 SR5 and Mom has a 18 Off Road. We are truly a 4Runner family! Let the wheel swap begin!!! Thanks for posting this and hopefully mine resolved as well.
__________________
1978 FJ40. Mostly stock, reverse shackle 3 inch lift.
2019 Pro Voodoo Blue
tls3601 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:36 PM #30
tls3601 tls3601 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 282
Real Name: Tom
tls3601 will become famous soon enough
tls3601 tls3601 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 282
Real Name: Tom
tls3601 will become famous soon enough
So if wheel swap takes problem away all is good as I was planning on replacing tires anyway. They are only a P metric and 35psi max. Not sure why Toyota spec d them to the Pro? Probably because they were cheap.
__________________
1978 FJ40. Mostly stock, reverse shackle 3 inch lift.
2019 Pro Voodoo Blue
tls3601 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
issue , pro , shudder , trd , truck

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shudder Epic Ed 4th Gen T4Rs 24 06-19-2020 11:19 AM
The Dreaded Shudder at 35-40 on my 07 JRA2000TL 4th Gen T4Rs 13 01-21-2020 01:42 AM
5th Gen T4R transmission shudder lllzzz79 5th gen T4Rs 45 06-15-2018 05:57 AM
SR5 shudder question palooka23 5th gen T4Rs 2 11-22-2012 12:49 AM
'03 T4R V8 HWY Shudder swartzy 4th Gen T4Rs 9 06-16-2006 07:36 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020