User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2020, 12:05 AM #1
kaitlyn2004 kaitlyn2004 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 234
kaitlyn2004 will become famous soon enough
kaitlyn2004 kaitlyn2004 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 234
kaitlyn2004 will become famous soon enough
Researched bigger tires+lift, but now maybe just stock size upgrade?

I've got a 2020 4Runner TRD off-road w/ KDSS & Dunlop AT and about 11,000km (6800 miles) and I feel like my mind has been racing all over the place...

Upgrading to tires, larger size
Looking at lift/suspension options

And now I'm thinking I should just replace with 265/70/17 (stock size) Wildpeak A/T3W tires.

- I was originally thinking 275/70/17, but the wildpeaks seem above-average size and that a rub might be possible (despite trail4runner saying 275's don't rub!)
- Lift lets me put on bigger/taller tires, but then I'm certainly looking at a BMC, messed up speedo, MAYBE safety sense issues, worse fuel economy... and lift doesn't gie me more ground clearance, only taller tires will (and a fender/rear chop would be an easier and cheaper way to improve angles!)
- I don't do any "offroading" just hitting gravel and unmaintained roads, but I've been able to get to all the trailheads I've wanted so far (and further than other cars have been able to push)
- I've not yet aired down tires, but I wonder/worry if when I start airing down my tires if I'll run into any ACTUAL reduced ground clearance issues..
- Everything I read seems to indicate people want to be putting on the larger tires/largest they can get away with because of the benefits (despite some cons listed above) but obviously people are upgrading and keeping stock tire size?
- Save money from larger+heavier tires, lift, possible BMC and put that towards other things I can DEFINITELY use more immediately?
- I guess going this way doesn't preclude me from doing diff tires/chop/lift later on... maybe when stock suspension is more worn, when I don't worry as much about chopping "brand new" car, etc. etc...?


Any reason I should reconsider my latest idea of just replacing stock size with a better AT winter-rated tire?
kaitlyn2004 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:23 AM #2
SpeedyKevin's Avatar
SpeedyKevin SpeedyKevin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 891
SpeedyKevin is a splendid one to behold SpeedyKevin is a splendid one to behold SpeedyKevin is a splendid one to behold SpeedyKevin is a splendid one to behold SpeedyKevin is a splendid one to behold SpeedyKevin is a splendid one to behold SpeedyKevin is a splendid one to behold
SpeedyKevin SpeedyKevin is offline
Member
SpeedyKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 891
SpeedyKevin is a splendid one to behold SpeedyKevin is a splendid one to behold SpeedyKevin is a splendid one to behold SpeedyKevin is a splendid one to behold SpeedyKevin is a splendid one to behold SpeedyKevin is a splendid one to behold SpeedyKevin is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitlyn2004 View Post
I've got a 2020 4Runner TRD off-road w/ KDSS & Dunlop AT and about 11,000km (6800 miles) and I feel like my mind has been racing all over the place...

Upgrading to tires, larger size
Looking at lift/suspension options

And now I'm thinking I should just replace with 265/70/17 (stock size) Wildpeak A/T3W tires.

- I was originally thinking 275/70/17, but the wildpeaks seem above-average size and that a rub might be possible (despite trail4runner saying 275's don't rub!)
- Lift lets me put on bigger/taller tires, but then I'm certainly looking at a BMC, messed up speedo, MAYBE safety sense issues, worse fuel economy... and lift doesn't gie me more ground clearance, only taller tires will (and a fender/rear chop would be an easier and cheaper way to improve angles!)
- I don't do any "offroading" just hitting gravel and unmaintained roads, but I've been able to get to all the trailheads I've wanted so far (and further than other cars have been able to push)
- I've not yet aired down tires, but I wonder/worry if when I start airing down my tires if I'll run into any ACTUAL reduced ground clearance issues..
- Everything I read seems to indicate people want to be putting on the larger tires/largest they can get away with because of the benefits (despite some cons listed above) but obviously people are upgrading and keeping stock tire size?
- Save money from larger+heavier tires, lift, possible BMC and put that towards other things I can DEFINITELY use more immediately?
- I guess going this way doesn't preclude me from doing diff tires/chop/lift later on... maybe when stock suspension is more worn, when I don't worry as much about chopping "brand new" car, etc. etc...?


Any reason I should reconsider my latest idea of just replacing stock size with a better AT winter-rated tire?
On my phone so cant type much but will say 285s will make the speedo more accurate haha
__________________
2019 ORP - KDSS, Dobinsons C59-302/GS59-700 front and C59-725/IMS59-50701 rear, Dobinsons UCA, DuroBump/Daystar bumpstops, Sonoran Steel High Articulation tracbar, Marlin Crawler LCA frame brace, OGS Lo-Key Bumper w/ Warn VR EVO 10-S, RCI Sliders, fully armored with RCI/C4/Outgear Solutions skids, Falken Wildpeak M/T 285/70/17, LFD SS-Crossbars, ARB breather kit (Rear Diff and Locker), ScanGaugeII, Anytime Front/Backup Camera, onboard ARB Twin compressor MORRFlate kit, and DD SS3 Sport fogs
SpeedyKevin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:42 AM #3
4CrawlerORP 4CrawlerORP is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 23
4CrawlerORP is on a distinguished road
4CrawlerORP 4CrawlerORP is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 23
4CrawlerORP is on a distinguished road
I also have a 2020 ORP w/ KDSS and I did a modest lift (2.5/1.5 6112/5160) with 275 KO2s. It may not be meaningfully more capable off-road, but I LOVE the way it looks and handles. No BMC, no UCAs, and no rubbing.

4CrawlerORP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:25 AM #4
borfoo3's Avatar
borfoo3 borfoo3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kuwait City, Kuwait
Posts: 650
borfoo3 has a spectacular aura about borfoo3 has a spectacular aura about
borfoo3 borfoo3 is offline
Member
borfoo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kuwait City, Kuwait
Posts: 650
borfoo3 has a spectacular aura about borfoo3 has a spectacular aura about
Better off-road tires = better off-road traction/ lost MPG + road noise
Better suspension = better bump handling / usually firmer ride
Lift = more clearance to not get stuck / higher CoG

How you mod depends which of the above pros you want and cons you can live with.. money and coolness factor aside of course.
__________________
2015 T4R TEP-KDSS - Overland build, getting slower by the mod:
Borfoo3's '15 TEP-KDSS 'no longer' mild build
borfoo3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:19 AM #5
TRD PANTHER's Avatar
TRD PANTHER TRD PANTHER is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 490
Real Name: BLACK TRD PRO
TRD PANTHER is just really nice TRD PANTHER is just really nice TRD PANTHER is just really nice TRD PANTHER is just really nice
TRD PANTHER TRD PANTHER is offline
Member
TRD PANTHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 490
Real Name: BLACK TRD PRO
TRD PANTHER is just really nice TRD PANTHER is just really nice TRD PANTHER is just really nice TRD PANTHER is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyKevin View Post
On my phone so cant type much but will say 285s will make the speedo more accurate haha
This is true!
TRD PANTHER is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:29 AM #6
TRD PANTHER's Avatar
TRD PANTHER TRD PANTHER is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 490
Real Name: BLACK TRD PRO
TRD PANTHER is just really nice TRD PANTHER is just really nice TRD PANTHER is just really nice TRD PANTHER is just really nice
TRD PANTHER TRD PANTHER is offline
Member
TRD PANTHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 490
Real Name: BLACK TRD PRO
TRD PANTHER is just really nice TRD PANTHER is just really nice TRD PANTHER is just really nice TRD PANTHER is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4CrawlerORP View Post
I also have a 2020 ORP w/ KDSS and I did a modest lift (2.5/1.5 6112/5160) with 275 KO2s. It may not be meaningfully more capable off-road, but I LOVE the way it looks and handles. No BMC, no UCAs, and no rubbing.

Do something like this with either 275 or 285s. Your nose dive when braking will be greatly reduced. As Speedy Kevin stated, with 285s the speedo is almost right on. Just about 1% over. Plus youll like the way it looks and works off road better. This is a mod forum. Lol
TRD PANTHER is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:09 AM #7
blschaefer1 blschaefer1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Prescott, AZ
Posts: 19
blschaefer1 is on a distinguished road
blschaefer1 blschaefer1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Prescott, AZ
Posts: 19
blschaefer1 is on a distinguished road
I did Wildpeak AT3W’s in stock size and am very happy. Been off road several times and never wished I had a lift or bigger tires.
blschaefer1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:40 AM #8
delloro's Avatar
delloro delloro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: I. E. So. Cal
Posts: 1,011
delloro is a jewel in the rough delloro is a jewel in the rough delloro is a jewel in the rough
delloro delloro is offline
Senior Member
delloro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: I. E. So. Cal
Posts: 1,011
delloro is a jewel in the rough delloro is a jewel in the rough delloro is a jewel in the rough
I would recommend you get the best-quality 275's and call it a day. Maybe add full aluminum skids.

I personally would get the 285's, and do a BMC if needed. With your factory TRD wheels, may well not need the chop. May need a little plastic work on the liner, but that is easy. Mudflaps will have to go.

The 285's will be 0.68" bigger at the corners, so at full lock, if you are not within 3/4" of anything with your current tires, you are good.

If you later decide you need suspension because you are dragging over things, then do so.
Attached Images
Researched bigger tires+lift, but now maybe just stock size upgrade?-screenshot_20201017-115033_chrome-jpg 

Last edited by delloro; 10-17-2020 at 08:00 PM.
delloro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:47 PM #9
spartacus's Avatar
spartacus spartacus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: denver
Posts: 1,372
spartacus is a glorious beacon of light spartacus is a glorious beacon of light spartacus is a glorious beacon of light spartacus is a glorious beacon of light spartacus is a glorious beacon of light
spartacus spartacus is offline
Senior Member
spartacus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: denver
Posts: 1,372
spartacus is a glorious beacon of light spartacus is a glorious beacon of light spartacus is a glorious beacon of light spartacus is a glorious beacon of light spartacus is a glorious beacon of light
Bigger tires not only help with the ground Clearance but more surface area when air down and a more comfortable ride even on gravel or forest service road specially washboards.
spartacus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:16 PM #10
02SE 02SE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Here, There..
Posts: 3,211
02SE has a spectacular aura about 02SE has a spectacular aura about 02SE has a spectacular aura about
02SE 02SE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Here, There..
Posts: 3,211
02SE has a spectacular aura about 02SE has a spectacular aura about 02SE has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by delloro View Post
You already have the Fox suspension, so no need to upgrade that. Want, perhaps; need, no.
The TRD Off-road W/KDSS doesn't come with the Fox shocks.
02SE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:01 PM #11
delloro's Avatar
delloro delloro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: I. E. So. Cal
Posts: 1,011
delloro is a jewel in the rough delloro is a jewel in the rough delloro is a jewel in the rough
delloro delloro is offline
Senior Member
delloro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: I. E. So. Cal
Posts: 1,011
delloro is a jewel in the rough delloro is a jewel in the rough delloro is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02SE View Post
The TRD Off-road W/KDSS doesn't come with the Fox shocks.
Ugh.

But the TRD OR w/out KDSS does come with the Fox shocks?
delloro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:31 PM #12
4CrawlerORP 4CrawlerORP is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 23
4CrawlerORP is on a distinguished road
4CrawlerORP 4CrawlerORP is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 23
4CrawlerORP is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by delloro View Post
Ugh.

But the TRD OR w/out KDSS does come with the Fox shocks?
Nope. Only the TRD Pro gets the Fox shocks.
4CrawlerORP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:56 PM #13
delloro's Avatar
delloro delloro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: I. E. So. Cal
Posts: 1,011
delloro is a jewel in the rough delloro is a jewel in the rough delloro is a jewel in the rough
delloro delloro is offline
Senior Member
delloro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: I. E. So. Cal
Posts: 1,011
delloro is a jewel in the rough delloro is a jewel in the rough delloro is a jewel in the rough
Got it. Thx.
delloro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:59 PM #14
thirteen thirteen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29
thirteen is on a distinguished road
thirteen thirteen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29
thirteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitlyn2004 View Post
I've got a 2020 4Runner TRD off-road w/ KDSS & Dunlop AT and about 11,000km (6800 miles) and I feel like my mind has been racing all over the place...

Upgrading to tires, larger size
Looking at lift/suspension options

And now I'm thinking I should just replace with 265/70/17 (stock size) Wildpeak A/T3W tires.

- I was originally thinking 275/70/17, but the wildpeaks seem above-average size and that a rub might be possible (despite trail4runner saying 275's don't rub!)
- Lift lets me put on bigger/taller tires, but then I'm certainly looking at a BMC, messed up speedo, MAYBE safety sense issues, worse fuel economy... and lift doesn't gie me more ground clearance, only taller tires will (and a fender/rear chop would be an easier and cheaper way to improve angles!)
- I don't do any "offroading" just hitting gravel and unmaintained roads, but I've been able to get to all the trailheads I've wanted so far (and further than other cars have been able to push)
- I've not yet aired down tires, but I wonder/worry if when I start airing down my tires if I'll run into any ACTUAL reduced ground clearance issues..
- Everything I read seems to indicate people want to be putting on the larger tires/largest they can get away with because of the benefits (despite some cons listed above) but obviously people are upgrading and keeping stock tire size?
- Save money from larger+heavier tires, lift, possible BMC and put that towards other things I can DEFINITELY use more immediately?
- I guess going this way doesn't preclude me from doing diff tires/chop/lift later on... maybe when stock suspension is more worn, when I don't worry as much about chopping "brand new" car, etc. etc...?


Any reason I should reconsider my latest idea of just replacing stock size with a better AT winter-rated tire?

Maybe my experience will help you decide. I have a TRD OR with KDSS. Stock suspension, only changed to SCS wheels and 265 Falken Wildpeaks. This is not a daily driver. I mainly use it off road, and for camping trips. I guarantee I've been on rougher trails than most people you see with their big lifts and giant tires. I'm not doing any extreme boulder climbing or anything, but I get on some pretty rough trails. I always air down, usually at 18 psi. Never had an issue.

My skid plates get scraped up sometimes, but that's why we have them. The trails I go to are not in my backyard, I have to drive on the highway to get where I need to go. The highways around here are steep, winding mountain roads and it's important to me to not ruin the handling of the vehicle and make it unsafe to drive. Your stock 4Runner will get you anywhere you need, within reason. 99% of the people that get lifts and big tires seem to do it just to look cool on the way to work. Just get some good AT tires and go have fun. Your truck will be fine. I honestly think it would be more useful to get stronger skid plates than a lift and big tires that might get you an inch or two of clearance. I'm not saying a lift and 33 inch tires are useless, just saying that MOST people have no reason to do that. Some do.

Also should mention that the Falkens rubbed pretty bad and I had to do some trimming and moving of the plastic, no body mount chop. The SCS wheels are offset a bit, so you probably won't have that issue with stock wheels.

Last edited by thirteen; 10-17-2020 at 08:07 PM.
thirteen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:35 PM #15
kaitlyn2004 kaitlyn2004 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 234
kaitlyn2004 will become famous soon enough
kaitlyn2004 kaitlyn2004 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 234
kaitlyn2004 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteen View Post
Maybe my experience will help you decide. I have a TRD OR with KDSS. Stock suspension, only changed to SCS wheels and 265 Falken Wildpeaks. This is not a daily driver. I mainly use it off road, and for camping trips. I guarantee I've been on rougher trails than most people you see with their big lifts and giant tires. I'm not doing any extreme boulder climbing or anything, but I get on some pretty rough trails. I always air down, usually at 18 psi. Never had an issue.

My skid plates get scraped up sometimes, but that's why we have them. The trails I go to are not in my backyard, I have to drive on the highway to get where I need to go. The highways around here are steep, winding mountain roads and it's important to me to not ruin the handling of the vehicle and make it unsafe to drive. Your stock 4Runner will get you anywhere you need, within reason. 99% of the people that get lifts and big tires seem to do it just to look cool on the way to work. Just get some good AT tires and go have fun. Your truck will be fine. I honestly think it would be more useful to get stronger skid plates than a lift and big tires that might get you an inch or two of clearance. I'm not saying a lift and 33 inch tires are useless, just saying that MOST people have no reason to do that. Some do.

Also should mention that the Falkens rubbed pretty bad and I had to do some trimming and moving of the plastic, no body mount chop. The SCS wheels are offset a bit, so you probably won't have that issue with stock wheels.
Reassuring to read - thanks! Yep, the overwhelming discussion of WANTING to just mod, or doing mods for things to look good, etc. etc... gets very confusing and noisy info for my discussion making.

Naturally the easiest solution is wildpeak in stock size. At stock size on stock wheels, there SHOULD be zero chance of any rubbing, no?

Is there a reason you swapped out the wheels? And just curious, given you made the switch, why did you stick to stock vs maybe a modest 275 or even a different profile?

And your usage seems similar to me - any offroading I might be doing is usually followed by hour(s) of pavement or casual gravel driving that ANY car can do.

And yes, I am looking at full skid protection (1/4" aluminium, not steel). What is your protection looking like? I THINK stock is only engine - looks like RCI's "full kit" is engine, transmission, transfer case. It seems others don't seem to do a transfer case skid? Then there are other skids for some different areas? So overwhelming and as a non-car person, I am also not positive on where some of these other things are even located haha
kaitlyn2004 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lift , size , stock , thinking , tires

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stock tire size? SierraDan 4th Gen T4Rs 4 11-14-2013 01:03 AM
Actual mileage traveled after tire size upgrade ryankmasuda 3rd gen T4Rs 19 04-24-2012 08:40 AM
Max Stock Tire Size KeeneState83 4th Gen T4Rs 4 09-18-2011 08:05 AM
stock tire size? itsgt Classic T4Rs 1 11-24-2005 09:46 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020