User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2020, 08:37 AM #1
nwebb01's Avatar
nwebb01 nwebb01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 124
nwebb01 is on a distinguished road
nwebb01 nwebb01 is offline
Member
nwebb01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 124
nwebb01 is on a distinguished road
Replacement Spring Options?

I've got a 2012 4Runner SR5. It's got 112k miles, so the suspension is due for a refresh. I'd like to go with the 5100's all around but it looks like they're designed to work with the stock springs. I don't want to reuse them due to the mileages on them. I'd like to achieve the .85 lift on the front to help level it out some. It's 100% right stock right now and I don't do much offroad driving, much to my dismay. Anyone have any suggestions on springs to pair up with 5100's?
nwebb01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:07 AM #2
ads2539's Avatar
ads2539 ads2539 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 763
ads2539 has a spectacular aura about ads2539 has a spectacular aura about
ads2539 ads2539 is offline
Member
ads2539's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 763
ads2539 has a spectacular aura about ads2539 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwebb01 View Post
I've got a 2012 4Runner SR5. It's got 112k miles, so the suspension is due for a refresh. I'd like to go with the 5100's all around but it looks like they're designed to work with the stock springs. I don't want to reuse them due to the mileages on them. I'd like to achieve the .85 lift on the front to help level it out some. It's 100% right stock right now and I don't do much offroad driving, much to my dismay. Anyone have any suggestions on springs to pair up with 5100's?
As far as I know, the 4600s are designed for stock height 4Runners. The 5100s are designed for lifted 4Runners. If you use stock springs on the front, you have to adjust the height using the notches on the shocks. The 5100 rears are designed for a ~2 lift. You can use spacers or taller coils.

On my 4th gen, I installed the Toytec/Bilstein lift kit. It comes with Bilstein 5100 shocks and Toytec (made by Eibach?) springs. I bought the kit with the front coilovers already assembled. Toytec also sells a 5th gen version. Its called a 3 lift, but the rear lift is 2.

The Toytec/Bilstein kit for the 5th gen starts at ~$1,050 and includes their diff drop kit.
__________________
2004 Limited 4WD 179k miles. Stratosphere Mica paint, Stone interior. Too many mods to list here.
ads2539 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:00 PM #3
sn_85's Avatar
sn_85 sn_85 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 1,887
sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold
sn_85 sn_85 is offline
Senior Member
sn_85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 1,887
sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwebb01 View Post
I've got a 2012 4Runner SR5. It's got 112k miles, so the suspension is due for a refresh. I'd like to go with the 5100's all around but it looks like they're designed to work with the stock springs. I don't want to reuse them due to the mileages on them. I'd like to achieve the .85 lift on the front to help level it out some. It's 100% right stock right now and I don't do much offroad driving, much to my dismay. Anyone have any suggestions on springs to pair up with 5100's?
I would go with a Bilstein 5100's or Eibach shocks paired with Dobinsons coils. They offer stock height and stock load range coils for both front and rear.

Dobinsons 5th Gen T4R Suspension options - lots of choices
__________________
2016 Nautical Blue Metallic Trail | SCS | Falken Wildpeak AT3/W | Icon CDCV | Heftyfab Front Bumper | 4x4 Labs Rear | Shrockworks Sliders | RCI Skids | Warn VR10S | OGE Dual Battery System | sPOD | Katzkin
2013 Blizzard Pearl LE 4WD - SOLD!!!
sn_85 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:46 PM #4
DougR's Avatar
DougR DougR is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 259
DougR will become famous soon enough DougR will become famous soon enough
DougR DougR is online now
Member
DougR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 259
DougR will become famous soon enough DougR will become famous soon enough
I decided to pair Bilstein 5100s with Dobinson C59-238 springs on my 2011 Trail with KDSS and 118K miles. I set spring perch at the lowest setting (zero) which should give me 1.0-1.25 inches lift with these springs. I haven't installed it yet because it's a bit too cold here, so if you can wait a month or so, I'll let you know what I get.

I think my front stock springs have sagged ~0.5 inch which produced about a 1 inch loss in vehicle height. My front suspension height is 19, and rear is 21.5 inches. I hope to achieve something in the range of 20.5-21.25 in front with the new coils.

This is more lift than you want, but you didn't mention what you currently have.

I wondered about reusing the stock springs versus installing longer springs. I want another 100K+ miles, so I was concerned about the stock springs sagging and ultimately ending up back where I am now. The 5100s are "designed to be used with stock springs" and lift up to 2.5 inches. Therefore the 5100s can easily accommodate the C59-238 springs as long as the perch is set to zero or 0.85 inch. Therefore, I decided to pair 5100s with new and longer springs for the best possible ride comfort (I don't go off-road).

Last edited by DougR; 12-30-2020 at 01:56 PM.
DougR is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:02 PM #5
nwebb01's Avatar
nwebb01 nwebb01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 124
nwebb01 is on a distinguished road
nwebb01 nwebb01 is offline
Member
nwebb01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 124
nwebb01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
I decided to pair Bilstein 5100s with Dobinson C59-238 springs on my 2011 Trail with KDSS and 118K miles. I set spring perch at the lowest setting (zero) which should give me 1.0-1.25 inches lift with these springs. I haven't installed it yet because it's a bit too cold here, so if you can wait a month or so, I'll let you know what I get.

I think my front stock springs have sagged ~0.5 inch which produced about a 1 inch loss in vehicle height. My front suspension height is 19, and rear is 21.5 inches. I hope to achieve something in the range of 20.5-21.25 in front with the new coils.

This is more lift than you want, but you didn't mention what you currently have.

I wondered about reusing the stock springs versus installing longer springs. I want another 100K+ miles, so I was concerned about the stock springs sagging and ultimately ending up back where I am now. The 5100s are "designed to be used with stock springs" and lift up to 2.5 inches. Therefore the 5100s can easily accommodate the C59-238 springs as long as the perch is set to zero or 0.85 inch. Therefore, I decided to pair 5100s with new and longer springs for the best possible ride comfort (I don't go off-road).
Did you do your lift yet? Got any numbers from it?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
nwebb01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:14 AM #6
Harrisnc Harrisnc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 109
Harrisnc will become famous soon enough
Harrisnc Harrisnc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 109
Harrisnc will become famous soon enough
You could also look for used springs. I got a front pair for $50 from eBay, less than 1000 miles on them. I see all four on Craigslist or Facebook regularly. Then you can get the shocks you want new.
__________________
2017 TRD Offroad. Barcelona Red, 265 BFG KO2, Eibach Pro-truck 1.6/1, Shrockworks sliders
Harrisnc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:17 PM #7
DougR's Avatar
DougR DougR is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 259
DougR will become famous soon enough DougR will become famous soon enough
DougR DougR is online now
Member
DougR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 259
DougR will become famous soon enough DougR will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwebb01 View Post
Did you do your lift yet? Got any numbers from it?
This reply is late because I didn't receive notice of your reply ... I haven't install the lift yet. I'm planning to do it next weekend, if the weather remains warm enough.
DougR is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:46 PM #8
DougR's Avatar
DougR DougR is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 259
DougR will become famous soon enough DougR will become famous soon enough
DougR DougR is online now
Member
DougR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 259
DougR will become famous soon enough DougR will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwebb01 View Post
Did you do your lift yet? Got any numbers from it?
The weather cooperated and I installed a new coil over setup as described in an earlier post. My stock 2011 Trail with KDSS and 119,000 miles had the original coil overs. The before measurements were 19.25 front left and right, 21.5 rear left and right (center of wheel to fender). Before the install, I also measured vehicle clearance using the factory manual suspension measurement method. Front suspension was 0.75 inches below spec, therefore, wheel to fender measurement should be 20 ins.

After the install, I rocked the vehicle back and forth and went a 3 mile test drive on city streets at sunset. A dozen hard stops, and a dozen figure-8s clockwise and counter clockwise in a church parking lot. It handles fine and also takes speed bumps well. I'll go for a test drive on a freeway tomorrow.

The after measurements are 21.25 +/-0.125 ins all four corners (center of wheel to fender). The new rear measurement (-0.25 ins) includes the effect of ~50 lbs of floor jack and jack stands stored in the cargo area which I will return to the owner tomorrow. I gained 2 inches lift in the front. The new Dobinson springs restored front suspension height to factory specification (20 ins) plus 1.25 inches. The front springs may settle 0.25 inches, which will be OK with me. 5% of the time this vehicle is driven with light cargo.

I followed the Eibach installation instructions. I had to make a slight change, otherwise no issues. I may create a new post with pictures to describe the changes. I spent 5.5 hours to install this setup working alone. That's slower than what others can do, however I'm three months short of age 70, and very pleased with the result.

Last edited by DougR; 02-14-2021 at 11:37 AM.
DougR is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:27 PM #9
nwebb01's Avatar
nwebb01 nwebb01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 124
nwebb01 is on a distinguished road
nwebb01 nwebb01 is offline
Member
nwebb01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 124
nwebb01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
The weather cooperated and I installed a new coil over setup as described in an earlier post. My stock 2011 Trail with KDSS and 119,000 miles had the original coil overs. The before measurements were 19.25 front left and right, 21.5 rear left and right (center of wheel to fender). Before the install, I also measured vehicle clearance using the factory manual suspension measurement method. Front suspension was 0.75 inches below spec, therefore, wheel to fender measurement should be 20 ins.

After the install, I rocked the vehicle back and forth and went a 3 mile test drive on city streets at sunset. A dozen hard stops, and a dozen figure-8s clockwise and counter clockwise in a church parking lot. It handles fine and also takes speed bumps well. I'll go for a test drive on a freeway tomorrow.

The after measurements are 21.25 +/-0.125 ins all four corners (center of wheel to fender). The new rear measurement (-0.25 ins) includes the effect of ~50 lbs of floor jack and jack stands stored in the cargo area which I will return to the owner tomorrow. I gained 2 inches lift in the front. The new Dobinson springs restored front suspension height to factory specification (20 ins) plus 1.25 inches. The front springs may settle 0.25 inches, which will be OK with me. 5% of the time this vehicle is driven with light cargo.

I followed the Eibach installation instructions. I had to make a slight change, otherwise no issues. I may create a new post with pictures to describe the changes. I spent 5.5 hours to install this setup working alone. That's slower than what others can do, however I'm three months short of age 70, and very pleased with the result.
Hey! Not too bad at all! I'm very impressed with that! You've got a lot of years on me, but I'm not a fan of messing around with spring compressors, etc. Tried it once and got scared and quit before I even got them apart.

Sounds like over all, you really landed in that sweet spot with a mild lift, much like I'm wanting. Question for you, did you nose dive go away with this setup? Was it at least reduced quiet a bit?

Thanks again for the info.
nwebb01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:43 AM #10
DougR's Avatar
DougR DougR is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 259
DougR will become famous soon enough DougR will become famous soon enough
DougR DougR is online now
Member
DougR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 259
DougR will become famous soon enough DougR will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwebb01 View Post
Hey! Not too bad at all! I'm very impressed with that! You've got a lot of years on me, but I'm not a fan of messing around with spring compressors, etc. Tried it once and got scared and quit before I even got them apart.

Sounds like over all, you really landed in that sweet spot with a mild lift, much like I'm wanting. Question for you, did your nose dive go away with this setup? Was it at least reduced quiet a bit?
Nose dive wasn't ever an issue to me. My wife drives the 4Runner a lot more than I do. She says it's better. It seems to me that nose dive depends on how hard one brakes to a stop.

I debated using a typical two piece spring compressor on truck springs. There are YouTube videos of people using it. The spring doesn't have to be compressed very much to assemble the coil over for a spring with one inch lift. The problem is finding a spring compressor that works well. On less expensive compressors, the hooks are thick castings that are difficult to insert between coils. It's difficult to justify spending money on a higher quality two piece spring compressor with thin (forged?) hooks. Also note, most spring compressors will chip off the powder coating on a Dobinson's spring. It's better to use a professional style spring compressor, so for most people that means buying assembled coil overs or taking the parts to a shop and having them assemble. If you do the latter, make sure the top hat is properly aligned with the bottom mount bushing, and in particular the orientation of the coil should be as shown in the factory manual. The picture in the Eibach install instructions shows an orientation different from the factory specification. Take your old coil overs with you when you have the new ones assembled. There is a left and right side when the coil overs are properly assembled.

Last edited by DougR; 02-15-2021 at 03:01 PM.
DougR is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:05 AM #11
DougR's Avatar
DougR DougR is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 259
DougR will become famous soon enough DougR will become famous soon enough
DougR DougR is online now
Member
DougR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 259
DougR will become famous soon enough DougR will become famous soon enough
When you get around to doing the install, consider following tips posted by jrandom here ignorant mechanic kdss lift I can see the merits of his procedure now that I've done the installation once.

The lift measurements today after more driving, when the vehicle is empty and with 1/3rd tank of fuel are 21 front left and right, 21.5 rear left and right, which is what I wanted to achieve. KDSS has balanced, there is no lean.

Last edited by DougR; 02-15-2021 at 11:25 AM.
DougR is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5100s , achieve , due , springs , stock

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2019 / 2020 Fox shock SPRING replacement options? jamoc 5th gen T4Rs 11 02-24-2021 01:33 PM
Spring options for the rear TheBFA Classic T4Rs 0 03-24-2019 03:24 PM
Rear Spring Options tenguns 4th Gen T4Rs 7 05-15-2017 04:07 PM
SAS 3rd gen rear spring options and PSC options. manesfesto Engines / Suspension / Wheels / Tires / Audio / Accessories 4 08-29-2016 12:13 PM
OME Spring Options Greenleaf88 4th Gen T4Rs 5 02-18-2015 08:49 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020