User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2021, 02:10 PM #1
pointman pointman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 450
pointman will become famous soon enough pointman will become famous soon enough
pointman pointman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 450
pointman will become famous soon enough pointman will become famous soon enough
does this oil look fresh?

Hello ladies and gentlemen. Quick question, does this oil look fresh for having a few hundred miles on it? Dealer just did an oil change. Level a bit high too.

pointman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:17 PM #2
Strykar Strykar is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Mukilteo, WA
Posts: 21
Real Name: Mike
Strykar is on a distinguished road
Strykar Strykar is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Mukilteo, WA
Posts: 21
Real Name: Mike
Strykar is on a distinguished road
I canít say for certain, but I have seen right after doing an oil change on a customers car, the oil is clean like honey until I start the engine and it mixes in with a bit of dirty oil left inside taking away the newish color if that makes sense.
Strykar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:26 PM #3
T4R416 T4R416 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 268
T4R416 will become famous soon enough
T4R416 T4R416 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 268
T4R416 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
Hello ladies and gentlemen. Quick question, does this oil look fresh for having a few hundred miles on it? Dealer just did an oil change. Level a bit high too.

Yes.. I would say they did an oil change .... only way to get clean honey like oil is to do an engine oil flush with the old oil filter thrown on ... and then before you throw in the new clean oil replace with new oil filter . Simple... or do oil changes more frequently.. I do them every 4K or so
T4R416 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:30 PM #4
Dynamo's Avatar
Dynamo Dynamo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: TX
Posts: 176
Dynamo will become famous soon enough Dynamo will become famous soon enough
Dynamo Dynamo is offline
Member
Dynamo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: TX
Posts: 176
Dynamo will become famous soon enough Dynamo will become famous soon enough
That's almost as dark as my oil when I change it at 5000 miles so I would say no, it does not look fresh.

I just went out and checked mine. Here's what it looks like with 742 miles on the oil (28000 miles on my T4R). It's still almost as clean as fresh oil from the bottle. For reference it is Genuine Toyota 0W-20 oil.



ETA: The dark spot at the lower left is where I wiped much of the length of the dipstick so it picked up whatever crud was on it.
__________________
2019 TRD ORP

Last edited by Dynamo; 02-02-2021 at 02:38 PM.
Dynamo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:31 PM #5
rightyouareken's Avatar
rightyouareken rightyouareken is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 354
rightyouareken has a spectacular aura about rightyouareken has a spectacular aura about rightyouareken has a spectacular aura about
rightyouareken rightyouareken is offline
Member
rightyouareken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 354
rightyouareken has a spectacular aura about rightyouareken has a spectacular aura about rightyouareken has a spectacular aura about
It is hard to say. This is Mobil1 0w-20 after about 1,000 miles in my truck (~10,500 total miles on it).

Something else to note, is that I find it difficult to get a good oil reading after pulling the dipstick a few times. More than any other car I've had, the 4Runner seems to drag oil up into the dipstick tube and it smears on the dipstick as you put it in/out. After a few checks, it makes it hard to see where the true level is until the oil drips down out of the tube. I find my best reading is on the first or second check. After that it's kinda smeared all over the dipstick. This can cause the oil level to look higher than it really is.

__________________
2020 4Runner Venture
2002 4Runner SR5 4WD (sold)
1998 BMW M3/4/5
rightyouareken is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:44 PM #6
JLTD JLTD is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South of Denver
Posts: 450
Real Name: Mike
JLTD has a spectacular aura about JLTD has a spectacular aura about
JLTD JLTD is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South of Denver
Posts: 450
Real Name: Mike
JLTD has a spectacular aura about JLTD has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
Hello ladies and gentlemen. Quick question, does this oil look fresh for having a few hundred miles on it? Dealer just did an oil change. Level a bit high too.


To me it looks like they only added some oil....

That said, only an oil analysis will tell you if it is fresh or not...in your place I would drain a little out and send it in to be analyzed.
__________________
2015 SR5, 69,000 miles
JLTD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:50 PM #7
T4R416 T4R416 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 268
T4R416 will become famous soon enough
T4R416 T4R416 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 268
T4R416 will become famous soon enough
Oil changes are not something shops and ESPECIALLY dealerships just donít do or ďtop upĒ thereís no point and really not much to gain to save a few dollars.. I would never say a shop didnít do an oil change or they just ďtopped upĒ if a car comes in for service itís literally one easily accessible drain plug for the oil ... the filter takes a little more effort but still very easy... so I would say yes.. they did your oil change.. but maybe they didnít replace filter? Which would also not make sense? Or they didnít drain out the oil completely and the new oil mixed making it look like that.. anyways good practise is to do them more frequently .. like 3/4 times a year instead of 2, say every 3 months ?
T4R416 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:57 PM #8
osugsxr osugsxr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 241
osugsxr will become famous soon enough
osugsxr osugsxr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 241
osugsxr will become famous soon enough
take it back and watch them do the oil change. They didnt change it!
osugsxr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:36 PM #9
pointman pointman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 450
pointman will become famous soon enough pointman will become famous soon enough
pointman pointman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 450
pointman will become famous soon enough pointman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykar View Post
I canít say for certain, but I have seen right after doing an oil change on a customers car, the oil is clean like honey until I start the engine and it mixes in with a bit of dirty oil left inside taking away the newish color if that makes sense.
That does make sense, thank you. I am hoping that is the case.


Quote:
Originally Posted by T4R416 View Post
Yes.. I would say they did an oil change .... only way to get clean honey like oil is to do an engine oil flush with the old oil filter thrown on ... and then before you throw in the new clean oil replace with new oil filter . Simple... or do oil changes more frequently.. I do them every 4K or so
Gotcha. Thanks. The 4R has less than 5k miles on it and this was its first (and unexpected) oil change. And I just double checked, only put 100 miles on that oil in the picture.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo View Post
That's almost as dark as my oil when I change it at 5000 miles so I would say no, it does not look fresh.

I just went out and checked mine. Here's what it looks like with 742 miles on the oil (28000 miles on my T4R). It's still almost as clean as fresh oil from the bottle. For reference it is Genuine Toyota 0W-20 oil.


ETA: The dark spot at the lower left is where I wiped much of the length of the dipstick so it picked up whatever crud was on it.

Oh man. Thanks a ton for taking a photo for me. Very kind of you. The oil in my picture has 100 miles on it. My 4R has less than 5k miles.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rightyouareken View Post
It is hard to say. This is Mobil1 0w-20 after about 1,000 miles in my truck (~10,500 total miles on it).

Something else to note, is that I find it difficult to get a good oil reading after pulling the dipstick a few times. More than any other car I've had, the 4Runner seems to drag oil up into the dipstick tube and it smears on the dipstick as you put it in/out. After a few checks, it makes it hard to see where the true level is until the oil drips down out of the tube. I find my best reading is on the first or second check. After that it's kinda smeared all over the dipstick. This can cause the oil level to look higher than it really is.

Thank you for a photo. I appreciate it. Gives me another good frame of reference.

I actually checked the level after it sat overnight and noticed exactly what you are saying. First couple were relatively clean to read, but after that it was all over the place.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JLTD View Post
To me it looks like they only added some oil....

That said, only an oil analysis will tell you if it is fresh or not...in your place I would drain a little out and send it in to be analyzed.
Thanks for the input. I hope it doesn't have to come to that. Frustrating. Thank you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by T4R416 View Post
Oil changes are not something shops and ESPECIALLY dealerships just donít do or ďtop upĒ thereís no point and really not much to gain to save a few dollars.. I would never say a shop didnít do an oil change or they just ďtopped upĒ if a car comes in for service itís literally one easily accessible drain plug for the oil ... the filter takes a little more effort but still very easy... so I would say yes.. they did your oil change.. but maybe they didnít replace filter? Which would also not make sense? Or they didnít drain out the oil completely and the new oil mixed making it look like that.. anyways good practise is to do them more frequently .. like 3/4 times a year instead of 2, say every 3 months ?
Thanks. Yeah I don't want to doubt it either, but seems dark for fresh oil. I actually got this done with less than

Quote:
Originally Posted by osugsxr View Post
take it back and watch them do the oil change. They didnt change it!
Unfortunately, technician areas aren't visible for customers. I assume there are liability concerns.
pointman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:37 PM #10
pointman pointman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 450
pointman will become famous soon enough pointman will become famous soon enough
pointman pointman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 450
pointman will become famous soon enough pointman will become famous soon enough
Thanks everyone for your input. I will bring my concerns up with my advisor when I get a chance. I was a bit curious as to the oil situation since my 4Runner only has about 5k miles on it. I was trying to get oil changes a bit more frequently from new and now I left myself wondering if it was done haha Thanks again all!
pointman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:54 PM #11
Dynamo's Avatar
Dynamo Dynamo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: TX
Posts: 176
Dynamo will become famous soon enough Dynamo will become famous soon enough
Dynamo Dynamo is offline
Member
Dynamo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: TX
Posts: 176
Dynamo will become famous soon enough Dynamo will become famous soon enough
Does your receipt say that they changed the oil and filter? The normal oil change interval is 10k miles according to Toyota. If you took it in at 5k miles as part of your free ToyotaCare service then I would bet they just checked it and did not actually change it.

There's no way they drained the oil completely, changed the filter, and refilled with new oil for it to look that dirty after 100 miles.
__________________
2019 TRD ORP
Dynamo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:12 PM #12
02SE 02SE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Here, There..
Posts: 3,326
02SE is a jewel in the rough 02SE is a jewel in the rough 02SE is a jewel in the rough 02SE is a jewel in the rough
02SE 02SE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Here, There..
Posts: 3,326
02SE is a jewel in the rough 02SE is a jewel in the rough 02SE is a jewel in the rough 02SE is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I will bring my concerns up with my advisor when I get a chance. I was a bit curious as to the oil situation since my 4Runner only has about 5k miles on it. I was trying to get oil changes a bit more frequently from new and now I left myself wondering if it was done haha Thanks again all!
How long have you had your 4Runner? Under the 'Free' 2 year 25k maintenance plan, they usually won't change the oil for 'Free', until you reach 1 year in service, or 10k miles.

At 5k miles and less then a year, they very likely didn't change it for 'Free'.


I note 'Free', as it's not really free. We pay for the 2 year 25k maintenance plan in the price of the vehicle.
02SE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:24 PM #13
badattitude's Avatar
badattitude badattitude is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 614
badattitude will become famous soon enough badattitude will become famous soon enough
badattitude badattitude is offline
Member
badattitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 614
badattitude will become famous soon enough badattitude will become famous soon enough
Do you still have 4 skid plate bolts...if so, they surely didn't change the oil. Alternately, you can check the oil filter canister. If its too tight to remove, you can be sure the oil was changed.

Added: oil at 2,000 miles on engine with 70,000
Attached Images
does this oil look fresh?-oil-jpg 
__________________
2015 4runner Limited
2008 V6 Sport Edition
1999 4runner
TRD Air Filter. Airaid MIT. O ring mod. TRD Exhaust. Front Discos. TrueTrac

Last edited by badattitude; 02-02-2021 at 04:47 PM.
badattitude is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:16 PM #14
WAT4R's Avatar
WAT4R WAT4R is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 111
WAT4R will become famous soon enough
WAT4R WAT4R is offline
Member
WAT4R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 111
WAT4R will become famous soon enough
Changed oil but not filter?
__________________
2018 CSM TRD OR, 5100 leveled, RSG sliders.
WAT4R is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:36 PM #15
weecho27 weecho27 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 17
weecho27 is on a distinguished road
weecho27 weecho27 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 17
weecho27 is on a distinguished road
It's tough to tell with oil smears on a paper towel. I'm no oil expert but when I changed my oil recently the old oil was black. As mentioned before you never get all the used oil out so they new will mix with the old and discolor pretty quickly. If you have the space to do so I would recommend you change your own oil. You know what parts are used, which manufacturer and grade of oil used, and oil level. Plus you can monitor any issues if you see any differences. Lots of videos on YouTube on how to change your oil. The only pain is having to drive a container of used oil someplace to recycle it. Good luck!
weecho27 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fresh , hundred , miles , oil , question

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So fresh and so clean... cloudrunner69 4th Gen T4Rs 5 12-08-2013 03:49 PM
My Fresh Trunk therien Pimp Zone 8 07-07-2012 01:45 AM
fresh wax ktrahan75 Gallery 9 07-12-2004 09:00 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020