User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2021, 11:18 PM #16
Zoom-a-Loom Zoom-a-Loom is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: RIGHT out of Sight of SCOTTSDALE, AZ
Posts: 22
Zoom-a-Loom is on a distinguished road
Zoom-a-Loom Zoom-a-Loom is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: RIGHT out of Sight of SCOTTSDALE, AZ
Posts: 22
Zoom-a-Loom is on a distinguished road
Poor quality control during production, no excuse for this and if they refuse to honor their warranty and you paid by credit card then dispute it.
Zoom-a-Loom is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:32 PM #17
RomanSchnobrich's Avatar
RomanSchnobrich RomanSchnobrich is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Age: 23
Posts: 79
Real Name: Roman Schnobrich
RomanSchnobrich is on a distinguished road
RomanSchnobrich RomanSchnobrich is offline
Member
RomanSchnobrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Age: 23
Posts: 79
Real Name: Roman Schnobrich
RomanSchnobrich is on a distinguished road
I'm in a 3rd gen, but would like to put in my two cents. I had all four of my OME shocks blown ridiculously quickly. After a short year of moderate fire roads, my front nitrochargers were absolute shit and my front end would bounce for a solid 5-10 seconds on its own in park. A half year later, my rear nitrochargers were blown. So I swapped with 5100s in the front and 5160s in the rear. Two years later, after the same kind of "wheeling", my 5100s are seeping and squeaky constantly. My 5160s seemed fine for awhile but I do believe they're blown-- though I'll take partial blame for these since I think I have overextended them several times. Anyway, I have been very unimpressed by both Old Man Emu and Bilstein shocks. Yes, I'm familiar with Bilstein's reputation and yes I know they claim to offer a warranty. I'm in college and my 4Runner is my only car, I'm not willing to ship shocks around waiting on warranty parts for weeks on end. My rig has never been to any real Moab trails, and I've been in some rocky sections a handful of times here in Montana. I've been waiting for my 2.5" ADS coilovers for about three months now. At least if those blow I can rebuild them. Not sure what to do about rear shocks, I'll probably just bite the bullet on some quality rebuildable ones once I can afford it.
__________________
2000 Desert Dune SR5-- 33" Duratracs - FJ Cruiser TRD Wheels - 4xInnovations Sliders & Rear Swingout - ARB Front Bumper - Full Length Roof Rack - ADS 2.5" Coilovers - SPC UCAs & LCAs - Durobumps - BXBuilt Retrofit Headlights
RomanSchnobrich is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:24 PM #18
4RNEWBIE 4RNEWBIE is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston
Posts: 77
4RNEWBIE is on a distinguished road
4RNEWBIE 4RNEWBIE is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston
Posts: 77
4RNEWBIE is on a distinguished road
Ive had the 6112/5160 combo for 71k miles. In the first year, I had one 5160 leak and had to buy another due to the fact at the time it was only a 90 day warranty on 5160s.

So far, no other issues other than rust on the top of the revivor, where the OP has a black cap on.
4RNEWBIE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:48 PM #19
Lazywildcat01 Lazywildcat01 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Chandler Az
Posts: 13
Lazywildcat01 is on a distinguished road
Lazywildcat01 Lazywildcat01 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Chandler Az
Posts: 13
Lazywildcat01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAutomotiveLV View Post
The Bilstein 5160's have definitely seen some challenges since being released.

From customer feedback and event observations, we think the 5160's are better
suited for 0-1.5" max lift.

So, keep at stock height or at most with a 1" spacer or coil in the rear.

Anything over 1.5" of lift does seem to have a higher fail rate with off-road use.

ICON 2.0 (56505) matches well with 6112's for coils with 1-3" of lift.

OME 2.0 (60080) is a great option for coils with 2.5-3" of lift.



_
Good to know. I havent thought about icons, but will running icons in the rear which are linear i believe have issues with the 6112s that are digressive?

Also according to your info, I am at 1.5" in the rear with the first failure then added a 10mm trim spacer on the second failure, so I should be good mostly. Not sure if the 10mm makes a huge difference in the performance/failure rate of the 5160s.

Last edited by Lazywildcat01; 04-17-2021 at 09:52 PM.
Lazywildcat01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:54 PM #20
Lazywildcat01 Lazywildcat01 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Chandler Az
Posts: 13
Lazywildcat01 is on a distinguished road
Lazywildcat01 Lazywildcat01 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Chandler Az
Posts: 13
Lazywildcat01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybryd40 View Post
I bought this set up also. 6112 and 5160. 55,000 miles on the 6112 5160s leaked twice with under 10,000 miles. Payed good money for those and Bilstein would not replace after first one. At the time it had never been off road and stock rear springs. I didn't really want too but I went with the 5100 on the rear and have had no issues on or off road. Plus the 5100 have a lifetime warranty.
I might do that even though its a "downgrade" if it fails a third time. How are the 5100s compare to the 5160s on daily driving?
Lazywildcat01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:03 PM #21
Lazywildcat01 Lazywildcat01 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Chandler Az
Posts: 13
Lazywildcat01 is on a distinguished road
Lazywildcat01 Lazywildcat01 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Chandler Az
Posts: 13
Lazywildcat01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanSchnobrich View Post
I'm in a 3rd gen, but would like to put in my two cents. I had all four of my OME shocks blown ridiculously quickly. After a short year of moderate fire roads, my front nitrochargers were absolute shit and my front end would bounce for a solid 5-10 seconds on its own in park. A half year later, my rear nitrochargers were blown. So I swapped with 5100s in the front and 5160s in the rear. Two years later, after the same kind of "wheeling", my 5100s are seeping and squeaky constantly. My 5160s seemed fine for awhile but I do believe they're blown-- though I'll take partial blame for these since I think I have overextended them several times. Anyway, I have been very unimpressed by both Old Man Emu and Bilstein shocks. Yes, I'm familiar with Bilstein's reputation and yes I know they claim to offer a warranty. I'm in college and my 4Runner is my only car, I'm not willing to ship shocks around waiting on warranty parts for weeks on end. My rig has never been to any real Moab trails, and I've been in some rocky sections a handful of times here in Montana. I've been waiting for my 2.5" ADS coilovers for about three months now. At least if those blow I can rebuild them. Not sure what to do about rear shocks, I'll probably just bite the bullet on some quality rebuildable ones once I can afford it.

That sucks to hear that. More I dive into the bilstein warranty process and reading on all these failures, the more unimpressed I am. I could afford the $190 replacement 5160, but it sucks just waiting to hear back. Its been 32 days since I've shipped them out. ADS are nice but they are pricey for sure, located in my home state too!
Lazywildcat01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:50 AM #22
Zoom-a-Loom Zoom-a-Loom is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: RIGHT out of Sight of SCOTTSDALE, AZ
Posts: 22
Zoom-a-Loom is on a distinguished road
Zoom-a-Loom Zoom-a-Loom is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: RIGHT out of Sight of SCOTTSDALE, AZ
Posts: 22
Zoom-a-Loom is on a distinguished road
5100's are the safe bet. I am glad I went with them.
Zoom-a-Loom is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:33 AM #23
Cymon's Avatar
Cymon Cymon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,885
Real Name: Chris
Cymon is just really nice Cymon is just really nice Cymon is just really nice Cymon is just really nice
Cymon Cymon is offline
Senior Member
Cymon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,885
Real Name: Chris
Cymon is just really nice Cymon is just really nice Cymon is just really nice Cymon is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAutomotiveLV View Post
The Bilstein 5160's have definitely seen some challenges since being released.

From customer feedback and event observations, we think the 5160's are better
suited for 0-1.5" max lift.

So, keep at stock height or at most with a 1" spacer or coil in the rear.

Anything over 1.5" of lift does seem to have a higher fail rate with off-road use.

ICON 2.0 (56505) matches well with 6112's for coils with 1-3" of lift.

OME 2.0 (60080) is a great option for coils with 2.5-3" of lift.



_

This is the best info I've seen and a little bit of confirmation of what I have been thinking since they were released (around the time the TRD Pro Model was created). I bet that the majority of the failures were on vehicles over 1.5" of lift (actual lift height not listed lift height) in the rear overextending the shock.
__________________
2015 SR5 Premium 4wd Magnetic Grey w/3rd row: Frontrunner Slimline II 3/4 Rack - Yakima Skybox 16 - Weathertech - 22" Behind Grill Light Bar - TRD Skid w/Full Aluminum RCI Skids - RCI Sliders - Falken AT3 265 SL - Lamin-X - Taxa Cricket
"If I Can Do it You Can" Light Bar Install
ARB Breather Mod
Cymon's Weekend Warrior/MFD Thread
Cymon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:20 AM #24
honda250xtitan honda250xtitan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: phoenix
Posts: 1,304
honda250xtitan is a glorious beacon of light honda250xtitan is a glorious beacon of light honda250xtitan is a glorious beacon of light honda250xtitan is a glorious beacon of light honda250xtitan is a glorious beacon of light honda250xtitan is a glorious beacon of light
honda250xtitan honda250xtitan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: phoenix
Posts: 1,304
honda250xtitan is a glorious beacon of light honda250xtitan is a glorious beacon of light honda250xtitan is a glorious beacon of light honda250xtitan is a glorious beacon of light honda250xtitan is a glorious beacon of light honda250xtitan is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazywildcat01 View Post
Good to know. I havent thought about icons, but will running icons in the rear which are linear i believe have issues with the 6112s that are digressive?

Also according to your info, I am at 1.5" in the rear with the first failure then added a 10mm trim spacer on the second failure, so I should be good mostly. Not sure if the 10mm makes a huge difference in the performance/failure rate of the 5160s.
you won't notice the valving difference. icon and bilstein are digressive. everyone else is progressive.
__________________
2016 TE : Grocery Getter, 285/70R17 Cooper at3 XLT, Prinsu Rack, King Coilovers, DuroBumps, Wheelers T13 coils, King shocks, King hydro bumps, Total Chaos mounts, DirtKing Fabrication UCA

2017 F250 6.7: Carli, Fox, Raceline, BajaDesigns, DIY Retrofit headlights
honda250xtitan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
driver , leak , refund , set , side

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Bilstein 6112 & 5160 bebop For Sale: Suspension/Wheels/Tires 2 06-12-2020 04:49 PM
Bilstein TRD Pro suspension or Bilstein 6112/5160? MK_Ultra 5th gen T4Rs 7 05-20-2018 03:14 AM
Bilstein 6112/5160 vs Fox 2.0 - ??? fifthcircle 5th gen T4Rs 48 11-08-2017 09:24 PM
Bilstein 5160 installed N2GLOCK 5th gen T4Rs 14 12-08-2014 07:35 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020