User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2021, 01:51 PM #1
mmeuli mmeuli is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Charleston, SC
Age: 36
Posts: 51
Real Name: Michael Meuli
mmeuli is on a distinguished road
mmeuli mmeuli is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Charleston, SC
Age: 36
Posts: 51
Real Name: Michael Meuli
mmeuli is on a distinguished road
Engine Noise

I recently had the bearing on my alternator fail. After replacing the alternator, shredded belt, and punctured radiator, it ran like a champ again.

That was back in I want to say November. Recently, I've noticed this noise when I turn on the AC. AC blows cold as ever but I'm wondering if maybe the pulley on it is bad. Thoughts on the noise? It sounds a lot like the alternator pulley did right before the pulley failed.

Is it possible to just replace the pulley on ours or does the whole thing have to go? 2016 Limited with 161k miles.

Sorry about the video. I can get one with the hood open but seems sufficient to hear.

5th Gen noise with AC on - YouTube

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
mmeuli is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:33 PM #2
rigtec's Avatar
rigtec rigtec is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bergenfield NJ.
Posts: 2,505
Real Name: Greg
rigtec has a spectacular aura about rigtec has a spectacular aura about rigtec has a spectacular aura about
rigtec rigtec is offline
Senior Member
rigtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bergenfield NJ.
Posts: 2,505
Real Name: Greg
rigtec has a spectacular aura about rigtec has a spectacular aura about rigtec has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeuli View Post
I recently had the bearing on my alternator fail. After replacing the alternator, shredded belt, and punctured radiator, it ran like a champ again.

That was back in I want to say November. Recently, I've noticed this noise when I turn on the AC. AC blows cold as ever but I'm wondering if maybe the pulley on it is bad. Thoughts on the noise? It sounds a lot like the alternator pulley did right before the pulley failed.

Is it possible to just replace the pulley on ours or does the whole thing have to go? 2016 Limited with 161k miles.

Sorry about the video. I can get one with the hood open but seems sufficient to hear.
Hi mmeuli,

I'm considering the, somewhat higher mileage on ALL of the pulleys, e.g. power-steering, idlers, air-pump...etc! But to lose both the alternator ...AND... the A/C Compressor at about the same time... And the shredding of the belt, it seems to me that the belt "May Have" been too tight all the while!

That's what happens if ya put to much pressure on the drive-belt; it'll destroy the bearings on the pumps, even the water pump is at risk if the main drive belt is improperly adjusted for a length of time! You can pull the A/C compressor and replace the crank bearing, IF you're pretty handy!

But you'll need a vacuum-pump, 'bout 2-3 lbs of R-134A refrigerant and BOTH Bearings; the outer crank-bearing and the pully bearing, which is turning, even with the a/c turned off! I (personally) wouldn't do that. I'd buy a "Re-conditioned" compressor, On Ebay or Walmart, from "Auto-Zone"; they're sold cheaper online than in the store!

You'll still need a vacuum pump (figure 500 microns of vac "B-4" adding charge), and R-134A Refrigerant, but less head-aches without rebuilding! The new compressor will/"...should" come with the proper amount of oil in it's crankcase, so no worries there!

And when installing the belt, make sure that there's at least a 1/4 to a half an inch of play in the new belt when your done! 'Best to you'

rig, cheers!
__________________
2012 Limited (in bliz) Black leather interior.

Commercial hvac diagnostics/electrical specialist (Steamfitters Journeyman Local 475)
rigtec is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:29 AM #3
mmeuli mmeuli is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Charleston, SC
Age: 36
Posts: 51
Real Name: Michael Meuli
mmeuli is on a distinguished road
mmeuli mmeuli is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Charleston, SC
Age: 36
Posts: 51
Real Name: Michael Meuli
mmeuli is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigtec View Post
Hi mmeuli,



I'm considering the, somewhat higher mileage on ALL of the pulleys, e.g. power-steering, idlers, air-pump...etc! But to lose both the alternator ...AND... the A/C Compressor at about the same time... And the shredding of the belt, it seems to me that the belt "May Have" been too tight all the while!



That's what happens if ya put to much pressure on the drive-belt; it'll destroy the bearings on the pumps, even the water pump is at risk if the main drive belt is improperly adjusted for a length of time! You can pull the A/C compressor and replace the crank bearing, IF you're pretty handy!



But you'll need a vacuum-pump, 'bout 2-3 lbs of R-134A refrigerant and BOTH Bearings; the outer crank-bearing and the pully bearing, which is turning, even with the a/c turned off! I (personally) wouldn't do that. I'd buy a "Re-conditioned" compressor, On Ebay or Walmart, from "Auto-Zone"; they're sold cheaper online than in the store!



You'll still need a vacuum pump (figure 500 microns of vac "B-4" adding charge), and R-134A Refrigerant, but less head-aches without rebuilding! The new compressor will/"...should" come with the proper amount of oil in it's crankcase, so no worries there!



And when installing the belt, make sure that there's at least a 1/4 to a half an inch of play in the new belt when your done! 'Best to you'



rig, cheers!
The 5th Gen uses an automatic tensioner and the belt is the correct belt. There's some play in the belt but it does seem tight-it has about a half inch of play, if I really put some weight on it. Now I'm wondering if I should consider replacing the tensioner first?

The belt shredded most likely because the alternator clutch pulley pulled off completely when it failed. Had ordered a new pulley the day I noticed the noise but the tool needed to remove the pulley took a week and a half to arrive. With my luck, it came the same day I was driving home from work and the pulley failed! Of course.

I think I'll need to pull the compressor and see if i can inspect the bearings. I replaced the idler pulleys when I replaced the alternator, but was hoping the other pulleys weren't damaged when the belt pulled off. I got a set of bearings at the house and the compressor itself is working just fine. I'm gonna see if I can replace the pulleys or bearings first. If that works, I'll let you know. Just hate replacing a component that itself operates fine other than the pulley.

Sounds like i didn't learn my lesson from the alternator pulley.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
mmeuli is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:00 AM #4
Jivewalker's Avatar
Jivewalker Jivewalker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 850
Jivewalker is a name known to all Jivewalker is a name known to all Jivewalker is a name known to all Jivewalker is a name known to all Jivewalker is a name known to all Jivewalker is a name known to all
Jivewalker Jivewalker is offline
Member
Jivewalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 850
Jivewalker is a name known to all Jivewalker is a name known to all Jivewalker is a name known to all Jivewalker is a name known to all Jivewalker is a name known to all Jivewalker is a name known to all
Rigtec is correct. I'm not sure the pulley on the compressor is your primary goal. I think the bearing would be the issue, which may involve replacing the seal and recovering and recharging the refrigerant. Easier to get a rebuilt compressor which would have that done IMO.
__________________
2012 Trail Edition |KDSS |BLACK| 265/70R17 C KO2's @ 44psi | 241,000 miles |>Link To Inside Fishing Rod Holder Mod
2017 LAND CRUISER URJ200 | MGM | 285/60R18 | 47,000 miles

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.
Jivewalker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:56 PM #5
rigtec's Avatar
rigtec rigtec is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bergenfield NJ.
Posts: 2,505
Real Name: Greg
rigtec has a spectacular aura about rigtec has a spectacular aura about rigtec has a spectacular aura about
rigtec rigtec is offline
Senior Member
rigtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bergenfield NJ.
Posts: 2,505
Real Name: Greg
rigtec has a spectacular aura about rigtec has a spectacular aura about rigtec has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeuli View Post
The 5th Gen uses an automatic tensioner and the belt is the correct belt. There's some play in the belt but it does seem tight-it has about a half inch of play, if I really put some weight on it. Now I'm wondering if I should consider replacing the tensioner first?

The belt shredded most likely because the alternator clutch pulley pulled off completely when it failed. Had ordered a new pulley the day I noticed the noise but the tool needed to remove the pulley took a week and a half to arrive. With my luck, it came the same day I was driving home from work and the pulley failed! Of course.

I think I'll need to pull the compressor and see if i can inspect the bearings. I replaced the idler pulleys when I replaced the alternator, but was hoping the other pulleys weren't damaged when the belt pulled off. I got a set of bearings at the house and the compressor itself is working just fine. I'm gonna see if I can replace the pulleys or bearings first. If that works, I'll let you know. Just hate replacing a component that itself operates fine other than the pulley.

Sounds like i didn't learn my lesson from the alternator pulley.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Hi mmeuli,

Not for nothin'... but I've NEVER seen an alternator pulley fly off the shaft without a good reason! I'd plan on replacing ALL OF THE belt driven pulley bearings, including the water pump, or you may find yourself replacing the radiator once again!

You have the evidence that a catastrophic event took place for the damage that you've described to ever happen. Something has caused your alternator pulley to fly-off... though I've never seen that happen, that didn't happen from normal "wear-n-tear", and certainly an act of God!

And as the above poster (@Jivewalker) said, I'd be concerned with those bearings; even the tensioner bearing B'cuz it's likely endured the very same catastrophic conditions that damaged the belt and other pulley bearings. I think you've spent enough cash replacing stuff that you already had...

You could've spent that $,$$$ on bills, or Mods on your truck...(?)! Believe me, I'm on your side (Truly & Sincerely), just don't wanna see ya have to go through this again, replacing stuff that you just replaced... Please Consider doing the Idler, water pump and tensioner bearing B-4 you put it back together...(?) K? 'Best'

rig, Cheers!
__________________
2012 Limited (in bliz) Black leather interior.

Commercial hvac diagnostics/electrical specialist (Steamfitters Journeyman Local 475)

Last edited by rigtec; 05-12-2021 at 11:50 PM.
rigtec is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:16 AM #6
mmeuli mmeuli is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Charleston, SC
Age: 36
Posts: 51
Real Name: Michael Meuli
mmeuli is on a distinguished road
mmeuli mmeuli is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Charleston, SC
Age: 36
Posts: 51
Real Name: Michael Meuli
mmeuli is on a distinguished road
Thank you everyone. I think you're right. I was stuck on it only making the noise while the AC was turned on, but the additional load on the belt, if it's already too tight, makes sense. I'll replace all the bearings next weekend and let you know the outcome. Thank you again.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
mmeuli is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:12 PM #7
DougR's Avatar
DougR DougR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 436
DougR is a jewel in the rough DougR is a jewel in the rough DougR is a jewel in the rough
DougR DougR is offline
Member
DougR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 436
DougR is a jewel in the rough DougR is a jewel in the rough DougR is a jewel in the rough
If this was my vehicle and I only had weekends to work on it, I would inspect the a/c clutch bearing first, replace it if it's bad, inspect other bearings and repair as needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7yflp1WFrU demonstrates the same noise symptom that you have, shows how to diagnose an a/c clutch bearing with the belt off, shows repair of the clutch bearing while the compressor is still charged and in the vehicle, demonstrates testing idler pulleys and shows an economical method to replace bearings in the idler pulleys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFC5jMhUm4s shows how to disassemble, inspect, test and repair each part of the magnetic clutch assembly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUheJNhrLVo shows how to use a pry bar to detect a noisy bearing. I usually use a length of PVC pipe which I hold close but not touching to detect noise.

You may be able to replace the a/c clutch bearing without discharging and removing the compressor. FSM illustrates the tools you'll need, a clutch holding tool and snap ring pliers. If clutch bearing is stuck on the shaft, you may be able to rent a removal and installer tool from AutoZone.

Inspection of the alternator overrun pulley, compressor clutch bearing, tensioner and idler pulley bearings is part of my annual maintenance. I hope to detect and replace a dry, rough, loose or noisy bearing before it fails. A Google search reveals that sometimes the alternator overrun pulley comes apart due to bearing failure and lockup.

Last edited by DougR; 06-12-2021 at 03:30 PM.
DougR is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:23 PM #8
DougR's Avatar
DougR DougR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 436
DougR is a jewel in the rough DougR is a jewel in the rough DougR is a jewel in the rough
DougR DougR is offline
Member
DougR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 436
DougR is a jewel in the rough DougR is a jewel in the rough DougR is a jewel in the rough
What's the status on this issue? Do you have a noisy a/c compressor clutch bearing?
DougR is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:51 PM #9
mmeuli mmeuli is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Charleston, SC
Age: 36
Posts: 51
Real Name: Michael Meuli
mmeuli is on a distinguished road
mmeuli mmeuli is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Charleston, SC
Age: 36
Posts: 51
Real Name: Michael Meuli
mmeuli is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
What's the status on this issue? Do you have a noisy a/c compressor clutch bearing?
Sorry I never saw this. It was the ac clutch bearing. Pretty easy fix.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
mmeuli is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:48 PM #10
Grug556's Avatar
Grug556 Grug556 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 533
Grug556 has a spectacular aura about Grug556 has a spectacular aura about Grug556 has a spectacular aura about
Grug556 Grug556 is offline
Member
Grug556's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 533
Grug556 has a spectacular aura about Grug556 has a spectacular aura about Grug556 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeuli View Post
The 5th Gen uses an automatic tensioner and the belt is the correct belt. There's some play in the belt but it does seem tight-it has about a half inch of play, if I really put some weight on it. Now I'm wondering if I should consider replacing the tensioner first?

The belt shredded most likely because the alternator clutch pulley pulled off completely when it failed. Had ordered a new pulley the day I noticed the noise but the tool needed to remove the pulley took a week and a half to arrive. With my luck, it came the same day I was driving home from work and the pulley failed! Of course.

I think I'll need to pull the compressor and see if i can inspect the bearings. I replaced the idler pulleys when I replaced the alternator, but was hoping the other pulleys weren't damaged when the belt pulled off. I got a set of bearings at the house and the compressor itself is working just fine. I'm gonna see if I can replace the pulleys or bearings first. If that works, I'll let you know. Just hate replacing a component that itself operates fine other than the pulley.

Sounds like i didn't learn my lesson from the alternator pulley.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
You need a belt tension gauge, they are really cheap. Check deflection at mid point and adjust. Doesnt take much overtightening to cause it to kill the bearing. I see your in SC? You getting salt from the water in there maybe you had the bearing seize from corrosion?
Grug556 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 05:41 PM #11
Lexington's Avatar
Lexington Lexington is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 442
Lexington has a spectacular aura about Lexington has a spectacular aura about Lexington has a spectacular aura about
Lexington Lexington is online now
Member
Lexington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 442
Lexington has a spectacular aura about Lexington has a spectacular aura about Lexington has a spectacular aura about
Is your AC making a high pitch whining sound and does it get louder when you turn up the fan? If so it’s most likely your fan blower that’s located underneath the control console. Stick your head in the passenger foot area. If the noise coming from the center area that is most likely the culprit. Mine started making the noise a few month ago. Took it to my mechanic and this is what he told me. He said their just could be some debris in it but if it’s the motor, the replacement is about $350. So I am going to have him work on it at the end of the month.

Last edited by Lexington; 08-17-2022 at 12:29 AM.
Lexington is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:19 PM #12
Ezlife45 Ezlife45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 320
Ezlife45 is on a distinguished road
Ezlife45 Ezlife45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 320
Ezlife45 is on a distinguished road
If you are concerned about belt tension, you could always exercise the tensioner instead of replacing the tensioner.

I had an old truck and as part of regular maintenance, I replaced the serpentine belt. The tensioner would not move easily because it had been some time with that old belt. A little lubricant and moving it back and forth and then the tensioner worked normally again.
Ezlife45 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alternator , noise , pulley , recently , thing

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3.0 Engine Noise prospectator Classic T4Rs 1 02-01-2012 09:17 AM
Engine Noise....???? Tenn_volsfan56 3rd gen T4Rs 6 08-23-2011 12:04 AM
Engine Noise blkexp98 Problems & Warranty Issues 0 05-27-2010 09:47 PM
04 V6 Engine noise? rabeet 4th Gen T4Rs 5 01-27-2004 06:20 PM
engine noise 4spoiler 4th Gen T4Rs 8 06-27-2003 01:47 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020