User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2021, 11:54 AM #31
Blackwatch Blackwatch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 118
Blackwatch is on a distinguished road
Blackwatch Blackwatch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 118
Blackwatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfboy View Post
My recommendation is measure garage space. I found parking a vehicle in the garage significantly increases its Life. My garage limited my choices to the Tacoma or T4R. Test drove both. T4R just felt better.
I don't have a garage, I built this house as a retirement spot so in 6-7 years I will be down south and my truck will go into storage for 6-8 months. The only issue with a garage where I live is the winter. The constant freezing and thawing of the truck that is coated in road salt makes the salt corrode the metal faster.
7 years and it won't see salt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheers! View Post
Lease for 3 years. If good and no problems buy it out. If crap, return back to dealer. I too would not buy a year 1 vehicle.
I thought about that option but the 4runner is about to be completely changed so in 3 years I could potentially be looking for a 3 year old 4Runner that hasn't been uncoated or looked after. I do like the idea of buying a new truck and knowing how it's been taken care of from new. Plus I am worried about the longevity of the turbo tundra. I'm sure the first 3 years would be fun to have it though.
Blackwatch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:41 PM #32
Blackwatch Blackwatch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 118
Blackwatch is on a distinguished road
Blackwatch Blackwatch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 118
Blackwatch is on a distinguished road
I test drove a 22 Tundra SR5 today. That just made this decision harder. Toyota did a great job with the new Tundra. A little wind noise from the A pillar but the truck is fast and develops power at low RPMs. It is big though. The edges of the hood seem to be flared up to block your view.
As I said earlier, longterm reliability is my main concern. I do see how the smaller size of the 4Runner works to it's advantage as an overall exploring vehicle.
The dealer did offer $600 off MSRP on a new 22 4Runner off-road. I am leaning towards ordering the 4Runner tomorrow
Blackwatch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 12:18 PM #33
Pedro367 Pedro367 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Denville, NJ
Posts: 443
Pedro367 is a jewel in the rough Pedro367 is a jewel in the rough Pedro367 is a jewel in the rough Pedro367 is a jewel in the rough
Pedro367 Pedro367 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Denville, NJ
Posts: 443
Pedro367 is a jewel in the rough Pedro367 is a jewel in the rough Pedro367 is a jewel in the rough Pedro367 is a jewel in the rough
Such a tough call. I've had multiple trucks in the past and I sure do miss the practicality of them, especially now that the back seats are SO BIG in them. 2 car seats are easy peasy and the bed is there for Home Depot runs, lumber, deer, the ATV, everything. I went to a 4Runner and bought a 6x12 trailer. I really love my 4R more than any other SUV I've had, but I sure can't say I don't miss the pickup bed. I rebuilt my entire deck with it and tons of other projects. They are so helpful. If you're a DIY guy with projects and toys for the weekend I'd get a truck. Otherwise the Runner is where it's at. The 4R also fits in the garage which is nice in NJ winters.

I'm trying to convince my "must have a 3-row SUV for our 2 kids" wife into driving my 4R and me getting a truck next after this asinine car market chills out.
__________________
Pete - 2018 Silver TRDORP w/ KDSS. Fox 2.0s and KO2s.
Pedro367 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 05:24 PM #34
Blackwatch Blackwatch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 118
Blackwatch is on a distinguished road
Blackwatch Blackwatch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 118
Blackwatch is on a distinguished road
I ordered a 4Runner off-road today in lunar roach. Ordered the pro rims as well. In Canada it’s a little different. Has dual zone and MTM. Looking forward to a spring delivery. Now to order accessories!
Blackwatch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:40 PM #35
2021nightshade4x4 2021nightshade4x4 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 919
2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough
2021nightshade4x4 2021nightshade4x4 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 919
2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwatch View Post
I ordered a 4Runner off-road today in lunar roach. Ordered the pro rims as well. In Canada itís a little different. Has dual zone and MTM. Looking forward to a spring delivery. Now to order accessories!

LUNAR ROACH!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021nightshade4x4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:40 PM #36
2021nightshade4x4 2021nightshade4x4 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 919
2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough
2021nightshade4x4 2021nightshade4x4 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 919
2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro367 View Post
Such a tough call. I've had multiple trucks in the past and I sure do miss the practicality of them, especially now that the back seats are SO BIG in them. 2 car seats are easy peasy and the bed is there for Home Depot runs, lumber, deer, the ATV, everything. I went to a 4Runner and bought a 6x12 trailer. I really love my 4R more than any other SUV I've had, but I sure can't say I don't miss the pickup bed. I rebuilt my entire deck with it and tons of other projects. They are so helpful. If you're a DIY guy with projects and toys for the weekend I'd get a truck. Otherwise the Runner is where it's at. The 4R also fits in the garage which is nice in NJ winters.

I'm trying to convince my "must have a 3-row SUV for our 2 kids" wife into driving my 4R and me getting a truck next after this asinine car market chills out.

Fully support 3 row pickups, whereís the petition


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021nightshade4x4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:50 PM #37
2021nightshade4x4 2021nightshade4x4 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 919
2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough
2021nightshade4x4 2021nightshade4x4 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 919
2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough
2022 Tundra or 2022 4Runner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwatch View Post
I test drove a 22 Tundra SR5 today. That just made this decision harder. Toyota did a great job with the new Tundra. A little wind noise from the A pillar but the truck is fast and develops power at low RPMs. It is big though. The edges of the hood seem to be flared up to block your view.
As I said earlier, longterm reliability is my main concern. I do see how the smaller size of the 4Runner works to it's advantage as an overall exploring vehicle.
The dealer did offer $600 off MSRP on a new 22 4Runner off-road. I am leaning towards ordering the 4Runner tomorrow

Might be a windshield gap thing. My windshield makes a complete seal and I donít have any ďopen windowĒ noise, but I do sense the turbulence you speak of around the A pillars. I wonder if itís lack of soundproofing or the 1/4Ē gap around the windshield creating this sound.

You can either fill the remaining windshield gap with some 3M # 08693 to where itís flush (if youíre an artist with making smooth beads, or know someone who is good), or buy some generic external gaskets and cut them to fit, and mock up something to test before laying down anything permanent.

Donít get me wrong, this is THE QUIETEST vehicle Iíve owned. Even against a Range Rover with acoustic glass. I am just agreeing I can hear what you hear because everything in these vehicles is just CRYPT quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021nightshade4x4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:07 PM #38
Blackwatch Blackwatch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 118
Blackwatch is on a distinguished road
Blackwatch Blackwatch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 118
Blackwatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021nightshade4x4 View Post
Might be a windshield gap thing. My windshield makes a complete seal and I donít have any ďopen windowĒ noise, but I do sense the turbulence you speak of around the A pillars. I wonder if itís lack of soundproofing or the 1/4Ē gap around the windshield creating this sound.

You can either fill the remaining windshield gap with some 3M # 08693 to where itís flush (if youíre an artist with making smooth beads, or know someone who is good), or buy some generic external gaskets and cut them to fit, and mock up something to test before laying down anything permanent.

Donít get me wrong, this is THE QUIETEST vehicle Iíve owned. Even against a Range Rover with acoustic glass. I am just agreeing I can hear what you hear because everything in these vehicles is just CRYPT quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I meant the 2022 tundra had wind noise.
Blackwatch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:29 AM #39
2021nightshade4x4 2021nightshade4x4 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 919
2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough
2021nightshade4x4 2021nightshade4x4 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 919
2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough 2021nightshade4x4 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwatch View Post
I meant the 2022 tundra had wind noise.

Same same. Could be same root cause.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021nightshade4x4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:24 PM #40
Blackwatch Blackwatch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 118
Blackwatch is on a distinguished road
Blackwatch Blackwatch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 118
Blackwatch is on a distinguished road
Tundra turbo issues

Well, I'm feeling a lot better about the decision to go with the 4Runner. I've been reading about a lot of problems with the turbos in the new Tundras. That has been my concern since last spring and with the rumoured 2.4 turbo 4Runner that is apparently coming.
The waste gate is sticking on them. Lots of people have said turbos aren't like they were 20 years ago. Well, I remember the TDi VWs having major waste gate valve issues requiring a new turbo.
I know Toyota has a good reputation and they don't want junk out there so they will try to fix this but the one big thing that makes the truck scary and different for so many old school Toyota owners was the turbo. They should have gotten this right.
Blackwatch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:36 PM #41
Polyguy79's Avatar
Polyguy79 Polyguy79 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: So Cal
Posts: 21
Polyguy79 is on a distinguished road
Polyguy79 Polyguy79 is offline
Junior Member
Polyguy79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: So Cal
Posts: 21
Polyguy79 is on a distinguished road
Iíve had both a Tundra and a 4Runner. The Tundra was great for looooong road trips with the kids and for when I moved to a new house. For EVERYTHING else, the 4Runner is miles better.
Polyguy79 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:34 PM #42
Cheers!'s Avatar
Cheers! Cheers! is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Jose
Posts: 593
Cheers! will become famous soon enough
Cheers! Cheers! is offline
Member
Cheers!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Jose
Posts: 593
Cheers! will become famous soon enough
lease the new 2022 Tundra? If it's no good just give it back.

You are not really ahead or behind on a lease or finance. It's a wash at the end really.
Cheers! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:29 PM #43
bzizzi's Avatar
bzizzi bzizzi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pa.
Age: 60
Posts: 186
bzizzi is on a distinguished road
bzizzi bzizzi is offline
Member
bzizzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pa.
Age: 60
Posts: 186
bzizzi is on a distinguished road
2022 4R 04 2022 Tundra is a No Brainer !

From what I have been reading about the 2022 Tundras and the Turbo waste gate issues I would buy a 2022 4R hands down, unless you really need a pickup for hauling or towing then find a 2021 5.7 V8.
I have a 2020 TRD ORP 4R and a GMC sierra 2500 HD Diesel that will tow and haul circles around any half ton pickup. The 2018 GMC has been 100% bullet proof reliable.
bzizzi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:13 PM #44
Blackwatch Blackwatch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 118
Blackwatch is on a distinguished road
Blackwatch Blackwatch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 118
Blackwatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzizzi View Post
From what I have been reading about the 2022 Tundras and the Turbo waste gate issues I would buy a 2022 4R hands down, unless you really need a pickup for hauling or towing then find a 2021 5.7 V8.
I have a 2020 TRD ORP 4R and a GMC sierra 2500 HD Diesel that will tow and haul circles around any half ton pickup. The 2018 GMC has been 100% bullet proof reliable.
They seem to make the 2500-3500 series a lot better, better parts. We have a 2020 F350 1 ton dually at work to haul the boat. 950 lbs of torque, it's a beast!
Blackwatch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:23 AM #45
Mark Linkous Mark Linkous is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Redwood Curtain
Posts: 58
Mark Linkous is on a distinguished road
Mark Linkous Mark Linkous is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Redwood Curtain
Posts: 58
Mark Linkous is on a distinguished road
This really represents an interesting quandary. For sure the 4Runner represents the last of what I think of as old school Toyota, but on the flip there is certainly something to be said for having a modern platform.

If I lived in Colorado or whatnot, forced induction is tough to shake a stick at. Even going from coastal California inland over the ranges, I will just say I am glad I do not tow often with it..

The Ď22 T4R is pretty close to a restomod (finally) giving you BSM and so on. If I did not need to tow, I would go 4Runner I think, but really tough call.
Mark Linkous is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
4runner , iím , reliability , tundra , worried

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2022 Land Cruiser vs 6th Gen 4Runner vs 3rd Gen Lexus GX downshift 6th gen T4Rs 10 10-28-2021 10:35 AM
2022 4Runner is Live on website mrkothegigolo 5th gen T4Rs 8 08-28-2021 04:59 PM
No New 2022 4Runner bzizzi General Discussions 18 06-21-2021 06:17 PM
2022 Tundra Gets Independent Rear Suspension and 416hp/442ft lbs V6TT Lexus Engine RichinRidgewood General Discussions 41 12-06-2020 09:14 AM
6th gen 3.5L 4runner in 2022/ 2023? 4runneroffroad2020 6th gen T4Rs 106 10-07-2020 11:12 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020