User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2022, 04:16 PM #46
CutthroatSlam CutthroatSlam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Last Great Place
Posts: 954
CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold
CutthroatSlam CutthroatSlam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Last Great Place
Posts: 954
CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonium View Post
Nope, not at all. Have had KDSS since 2016 so I know what I am working with. Own the product so can speak to it. Many people in this forum who have never owned said product make generalized statements as though a few issues within these walls paint said product in a certain way.

Some 4runners also have needle bearing issues. Perhaps a 2WD (simpler than 4wD) would spare you from this potential nightmare also?
I simply said the cost/benefit/downside equation for KDSS is not for me. Glad you enjoy yours.
CutthroatSlam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 04:17 PM #47
CutthroatSlam CutthroatSlam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Last Great Place
Posts: 954
CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold
CutthroatSlam CutthroatSlam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Last Great Place
Posts: 954
CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonium View Post
Nope, not at all. Have had KDSS since 2016 so I know what I am working with. Own the product so can speak to it. Many people in this forum who have never owned said product make generalized statements as though a few issues within these walls paint said product in a certain way.

Some 4runners also have needle bearing issues. Perhaps a 2WD (simpler than 4wD) would spare you from this potential nightmare also?
I simply said the cost/benefit/downside equation for KDSS is not for me. Glad you enjoy yours.

Many in this forum couldn’t spin a wrench if their life depended on it. I can. I can also make my own decisions.
CutthroatSlam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:08 PM #48
2021nightshade4x4 2021nightshade4x4 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 1,231
2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice 2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice 2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice 2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice 2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice
2021nightshade4x4 2021nightshade4x4 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 1,231
2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice 2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice 2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice 2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice 2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEujunga View Post
Be sure to go barefoot. Shoes are nasty, complicated, failure-prone gimmicks. Laces can break suddenly without warning, and soles can wear out or fail entirely, necessitating an expensive repair or replacement.

When shoes start throwing error codes, I’m done


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021nightshade4x4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:30 PM #49
somenoise somenoise is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: bay area
Posts: 50
somenoise is on a distinguished road
somenoise somenoise is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: bay area
Posts: 50
somenoise is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02SE View Post
I'm convinced. I'm selling the TRD ORP W/KDSS, and the complicated and potentially trouble-prone truck, cars, motorcycles, RV, even the bicycles since they can break too.

It's going to be walking from now on.
Careful with that, a couple years ago I tore a 1/2 hole in my groin muscle during a trail run. Pretty complicated hassle getting that fixed and rehabbed to resume walking normally. Should have stayed at home.
somenoise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:06 PM #50
2021nightshade4x4 2021nightshade4x4 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 1,231
2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice 2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice 2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice 2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice 2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice
2021nightshade4x4 2021nightshade4x4 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 1,231
2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice 2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice 2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice 2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice 2021nightshade4x4 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by somenoise View Post
Careful with that, a couple years ago I tore a 1/2 hole in my groin muscle during a trail run. Pretty complicated hassle getting that fixed and rehabbed to resume walking normally. Should have stayed at home.

My wife and I joke that the reason we matched on Tinder was that neither of us listed “hiking” as a hobby.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021nightshade4x4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:25 AM #51
RobS10's Avatar
RobS10 RobS10 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 578
RobS10 has a spectacular aura about RobS10 has a spectacular aura about
RobS10 RobS10 is offline
Member
RobS10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 578
RobS10 has a spectacular aura about RobS10 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgetful View Post
4wd provides a lot more value than KDSS so it's worth extra cost and parts. Unless a vehicle is a pavement racing rig then a 2wd KDSS is probably better, but why get a 4R in the first place.
LOL! It was a bit of hyperbole, but in reality, I use the benefits of 4WD far less than the benefits of KDSS, as I'm driving on pavement 95% of the time, and would bet a majority, or at least a large number of 4Runner drivers are the same. But, KDSS can actually be better on slower 4WD situations too, not just pavement, as it disconnects the sway bars below 12mph for more wheel articulation than standard, non-KDSS suspensions. If you asked me about XRAES system, I would agree. It's ONLY good for on-road and leaks are typically a lot more more common than KDSS failures, from what I've read.
KDSS is not available on 2WD 4Runners, only TRD Off Road trims. I do agree, if I never off-roaded, I would have gotten a Highlander.
__________________
2022 Barcelona Red TRD ORP, KDSS, Moonroof
1999 4Runner SR5, bone stock, just turned over 200K

Last edited by RobS10; 06-11-2022 at 10:49 AM.
RobS10 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:52 PM #52
progress4m's Avatar
progress4m progress4m is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Aledo, TX
Posts: 930
progress4m will become famous soon enough progress4m will become famous soon enough
progress4m progress4m is offline
Member
progress4m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Aledo, TX
Posts: 930
progress4m will become famous soon enough progress4m will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEujunga View Post
Be sure to go barefoot. Shoes are nasty, complicated, failure-prone gimmicks. Laces can break suddenly without warning, and soles can wear out or fail entirely, necessitating an expensive repair or replacement.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/ima...ilies/lmao.gif
__________________
2013 Silver Trail (with KDSS)-Nitto TG-G2, Bilstein 5100, Custom lift: front 2.1", rear 1.5" (lift info: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...estion-50.html thread #744)
1995 SR5 4x4, 1996 SR5 4x4, 2005 SR5 V8 4x4- All Sold, but not forgotten!
DON'T GET CONFUSED BETWEEN MY PERSONALITY AND MY ATTITUDE. MY PERSONALITY IS WHO I AM...MY ATTITUDE DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ARE
progress4m is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:12 PM #53
Something_Awesome's Avatar
Something_Awesome Something_Awesome is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 169
Something_Awesome will become famous soon enough
Something_Awesome Something_Awesome is offline
Member
Something_Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 169
Something_Awesome will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutthroatSlam View Post
KDSS is definitely off the list of options on the next 4Runner.
You should drive a 4Runner with KDSS to be sure. I will say, some people on this forum drove a 4Runner with KDSS and could not stand it, so they opted for the regular suspension. I know there are a few who are like me and actually never would have purchased a 4Runner if it did not have KDSS. I've actually never been very fond of Toyotas in the past because they tended to ride like a boat sailing on wavy water. It's a terrible experience for passengers. KDSS solves a lot of that problem.

I suppose if you do not have a dealership you can have faith in service-wise, it may be prudent to pass on KDSS. I personally expect my KDSS to last the life of the vehicle. But worst case scenario, I have like 3 dealerships near me that I trust can properly solve a KDSS issue (the farthest of the three being 45 minutes away).
Something_Awesome is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 07:47 PM #54
RobS10's Avatar
RobS10 RobS10 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 578
RobS10 has a spectacular aura about RobS10 has a spectacular aura about
RobS10 RobS10 is offline
Member
RobS10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 578
RobS10 has a spectacular aura about RobS10 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_Awesome View Post
You should drive a 4Runner with KDSS to be sure. I will say, some people on this forum drove a 4Runner with KDSS and could not stand it, so they opted for the regular suspension. I know there are a few who are like me and actually never would have purchased a 4Runner if it did not have KDSS. I've actually never been very fond of Toyotas in the past because they tended to ride like a boat sailing on wavy water. It's a terrible experience for passengers. KDSS solves a lot of that problem.

I suppose if you do not have a dealership you can have faith in service-wise, it may be prudent to pass on KDSS. I personally expect my KDSS to last the life of the vehicle. But worst case scenario, I have like 3 dealerships near me that I trust can properly solve a KDSS issue (the farthest of the three being 45 minutes away).
We have driven a totally stock 1999 4Runner SR5 for the last 17 years. I can't believe how much better it handles than my nephew's 2018 SR5 we test drove! We would have passed on a new 4Runner if his SR5 was what to expect from a 5th Gen. Hoping our ORP's KDSS lasts the life of the vehicle, which we're planning to be many years down the line
__________________
2022 Barcelona Red TRD ORP, KDSS, Moonroof
1999 4Runner SR5, bone stock, just turned over 200K
RobS10 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:35 PM #55
CutthroatSlam CutthroatSlam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Last Great Place
Posts: 954
CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold
CutthroatSlam CutthroatSlam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Last Great Place
Posts: 954
CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_Awesome View Post
You should drive a 4Runner with KDSS to be sure. I will say, some people on this forum drove a 4Runner with KDSS and could not stand it, so they opted for the regular suspension. I know there are a few who are like me and actually never would have purchased a 4Runner if it did not have KDSS. I've actually never been very fond of Toyotas in the past because they tended to ride like a boat sailing on wavy water. It's a terrible experience for passengers. KDSS solves a lot of that problem.

I suppose if you do not have a dealership you can have faith in service-wise, it may be prudent to pass on KDSS. I personally expect my KDSS to last the life of the vehicle. But worst case scenario, I have like 3 dealerships near me that I trust can properly solve a KDSS issue (the farthest of the three being 45 minutes away).
I do ALL the work on our 4Runner. Never take any vehicle into a dealer.
CutthroatSlam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:36 PM #56
BlackWorksInc's Avatar
BlackWorksInc BlackWorksInc is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 9,915
BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold
BlackWorksInc BlackWorksInc is offline
Elite Member
BlackWorksInc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 9,915
BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS10 View Post
We have driven a totally stock 1999 4Runner SR5 for the last 17 years. I can't believe how much better it handles than my nephew's 2018 SR5 we test drove! We would have passed on a new 4Runner if his SR5 was what to expect from a 5th Gen. Hoping our ORP's KDSS lasts the life of the vehicle, which we're planning to be many years down the line
Handling can be subjective, I am curious what you mean by "Handles Better."
BlackWorksInc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:42 PM #57
Something_Awesome's Avatar
Something_Awesome Something_Awesome is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 169
Something_Awesome will become famous soon enough
Something_Awesome Something_Awesome is offline
Member
Something_Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 169
Something_Awesome will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutthroatSlam View Post
I do ALL the work on our 4Runner. Never take any vehicle into a dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWorksInc View Post
Handling can be subjective, I am curious what you mean by "Handles Better."
There is a video on Youtube demonstrating why one may consider the vanilla 4Runner suspension to sort of be unlivable. I am looking for it but cannot find it. I do remember the guy had the vehicle for like a week or two and made a video complaining. The video went up a day after I took delivery of my KDSS-equipped 4Runner and I felt grateful for discovering that the 4Runner had a KDSS option.

Still looking.

EDIT: Found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI8E...1aEzfq&index=8

Note that KDSS dramatically reduces the nose dive. Btw, in the video, he talks about the soft suspension, goes off topic, but then gets back to it.

Last edited by Something_Awesome; 06-11-2022 at 08:49 PM.
Something_Awesome is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:05 PM #58
BlackWorksInc's Avatar
BlackWorksInc BlackWorksInc is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 9,915
BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold
BlackWorksInc BlackWorksInc is offline
Elite Member
BlackWorksInc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 9,915
BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, I get what you're talking about now. Toyota/Lexus has always opted for softer shocks on a lot of their vehicles I have noticed. I'm guessing it's mainly for that "comfortable/cushy" feeling, though honestly I have just always found them to be a bit too squishy for my liking (also noticed back in the Bay Area that the Camry, Highlander, Avalon, and Venza would just leak out of their shocks so quickly, I'm guessing they were far too soft for all the pot holes and crap roads). If you've ever put new shocks on a late 90's/early 2000's Camry and wondered if the shocks you got were already blown out; you'll known what I mean.

I forget that the SR5's went that route, I'm used to having a lot of customer's vehicles either spacer lifted, chonky tires, and/or having a proper lift. I don't get a whole lot of bone stock SR5's very often.
BlackWorksInc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:19 PM #59
Something_Awesome's Avatar
Something_Awesome Something_Awesome is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 169
Something_Awesome will become famous soon enough
Something_Awesome Something_Awesome is offline
Member
Something_Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 169
Something_Awesome will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWorksInc View Post
Yeah, I get what you're talking about now. Toyota/Lexus has always opted for softer shocks on a lot of their vehicles I have noticed. I'm guessing it's mainly for that "comfortable/cushy" feeling, though honestly I have just always found them to be a bit too squishy for my liking (also noticed back in the Bay Area that the Camry, Highlander, Avalon, and Venza would just leak out of their shocks so quickly, I'm guessing they were far too soft for all the pot holes and crap roads). If you've ever put new shocks on a late 90's/early 2000's Camry and wondered if the shocks you got were already blown out; you'll known what I mean.

I forget that the SR5's went that route, I'm used to having a lot of customer's vehicles either spacer lifted, chonky tires, and/or having a proper lift. I don't get a whole lot of bone stock SR5's very often.
Yes, and the SR5's feel like those early 2000's Camrys. I vomitted twice in my Cousin's early 2000's Camry. This is one of the reasons I had always preferred Honda/Acura cars. It is preference though. I do prefer the firmer ride that Honda's tend to have.

I think it is important for a prospective 4Runner owner to test drive both before deciding. I actually ordered the KDSS option and bought the vehicle outright before ever driving it. I had done a lot of research and felt like I didn't need the test drive. Drove off in my new 4Runner with KDSS feeling validated instantly.

I do expect my KDSS to last the life of the vehicle.
Something_Awesome is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:21 PM #60
CutthroatSlam CutthroatSlam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Last Great Place
Posts: 954
CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold
CutthroatSlam CutthroatSlam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Last Great Place
Posts: 954
CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_Awesome View Post
There is a video on Youtube demonstrating why one may consider the vanilla 4Runner suspension to sort of be unlivable. I am looking for it but cannot find it. I do remember the guy had the vehicle for like a week or two and made a video complaining. The video went up a day after I took delivery of my KDSS-equipped 4Runner and I felt grateful for discovering that the 4Runner had a KDSS option.

Still looking.

EDIT: Found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI8E...1aEzfq&index=8

Note that KDSS dramatically reduces the nose dive. Btw, in the video, he talks about the soft suspension, goes off topic, but then gets back to it.
Unlivable is a pretty strong, especially since we have 296K miles on a 2014 SR5 and still don’t know why we’d need KDSS.

Clicked on your video link and stopped at pink baseball hat worn backwards. All credibility lost right there.

Last edited by CutthroatSlam; 06-11-2022 at 09:25 PM.
CutthroatSlam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
$10k , kdss , midwest , replace , unit

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KDSS - Is there an Aftermarket Repair Option NC[4]Runner 5th gen T4Rs 40 08-19-2022 07:58 PM
5th Gen. KDSS vs. Non-KDSS handling performance & sway bar diameter differences. CS223 5th gen T4Rs 60 12-08-2021 06:48 PM
New 4R Purchase: KDSS vs Non-KDSS with Modified Suspension and Added Weight? yellowdog 5th gen T4Rs 5 12-13-2017 01:32 PM
KDSS Repair Dealer? Marcocopuffs So Cal 4 06-01-2016 04:57 AM
Woman rams repair shop after non-repair Sac State Off Topic 3 04-29-2005 06:50 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020