User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2022, 02:04 PM #1
Jedi5150 Jedi5150 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Colorado
Posts: 48
Jedi5150 is on a distinguished road
Jedi5150 Jedi5150 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Colorado
Posts: 48
Jedi5150 is on a distinguished road
OME 2 or 3" lift kit questions

Hello all, I've never done a lift before on my previous Tacos or 4Runner, but on my new 5th Gen 4Runner I'm wanting to put 33" tires on it (specifically the 285/70/17 BFG KM3's), and beef up the suspension.

I think I've narrowed it down to the OME lift kit, but I'm not sure whether to do the 2" or 3" lift. If I can get by with the 2" for that size tire, I'd prefer it, as I understand replacing the UCA would not be necessary with a 2" lift (if that's correct?).

So my question is, can I get away with a 2" lift and no UCA replacement for that tire (stock wheels), or will I need the 3" lift and UCA? Thanks in advance!
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:21 PM #2
TRD PANTHER's Avatar
TRD PANTHER TRD PANTHER is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,034
Real Name: BLACK TRD PRO
TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold
TRD PANTHER TRD PANTHER is offline
Senior Member
TRD PANTHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,034
Real Name: BLACK TRD PRO
TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold
I did not need aftermarket UCA’s or a Panard Correction Kit (PCK) when I did a 1.5/1” spacer lift on my Pro. This equates to an overall lift height of 2.5” up front, Pros are already 1”
higher up front than other 4Runners. The rear was 1” higher. With the factory 7” wide Pro wheels with, as I recall have a +4 offset, I had no problems with fit and clearance issues. The Pros come with the fender liner mod and I did not have to cut or mod anything. There is a variance in all the 4Runners, so your result may vary. Pics when stock except spacer lift and 285’s.

Now I have a 3” Radflo extended travel setup and needed aftermarket UCA’s and a PCK.With a 3” lift there are other things you may have to consider also. i.e.; bump stops, extended rear brake lines, sway bar spacers, etc.

I went plenty of places with my Pro just with the spacer mod and 285’s for 4 years until getting new suspension a couple months ago due to added weight. Something to consider down the road. Armor, RTT, etc.
Attached Images
OME 2 or 3" lift kit questions-588714a8-dbcf-4257-a7b7-b35c0b2139fc-jpeg  OME 2 or 3" lift kit questions-49b5ef5f-d6f7-4d60-bc47-0227a54bd073-jpg 
TRD PANTHER is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:32 PM #3
Jedi5150 Jedi5150 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Colorado
Posts: 48
Jedi5150 is on a distinguished road
Jedi5150 Jedi5150 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Colorado
Posts: 48
Jedi5150 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD PANTHER View Post
I did not need aftermarket UCA’s or a Panard Correction Kit (PCK) when I did a 1.5/1” spacer lift on my Pro. This equates to an overall lift height of 2.5” up front, Pros are already 1”
higher up front than other 4Runners. The rear was 1” higher. With the factory 7” wide Pro wheels with, as I recall have a +4 offset, I had no problems with fit and clearance issues. The Pros come with the fender liner mod and I did not have to cut or mod anything. There is a variance in all the 4Runners, so your result may vary. Pics when stock except spacer lift and 285’s.

Now I have a 3” Radflo extended travel setup and needed aftermarket UCA’s and a PCK.With a 3” lift there are other things you may have to consider also. i.e.; bump stops, extended rear brake lines, sway bar spacers, etc.

I went plenty of places with my Pro just with the spacer mod and 285’s for 4 years until getting new suspension a couple months ago due to added weight. Something to consider down the road. Armor, RTT, etc.
Thanks for the feedback and the photos! I ended up ordering the OME 2" lift instead of the 3", but I did order the OME UCA's as well. I did some more reading and a lot of folks said they regretted not getting UCA's at the same time as the lift, and that the vehicle has much better manners with the aftermarket UCA, even with a <3" lift, so I decided to just play it safe. Now I'm really hoping that the 285/70/17's will fit without rubbing. I should have mentioned in the original post, mine is a TRD ORP, not the Pro trim.
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 11:41 PM #4
TRD PANTHER's Avatar
TRD PANTHER TRD PANTHER is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,034
Real Name: BLACK TRD PRO
TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold
TRD PANTHER TRD PANTHER is offline
Senior Member
TRD PANTHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,034
Real Name: BLACK TRD PRO
TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5150 View Post
Thanks for the feedback and the photos! I ended up ordering the OME 2" lift instead of the 3", but I did order the OME UCA's as well. I did some more reading and a lot of folks said they regretted not getting UCA's at the same time as the lift, and that the vehicle has much better manners with the aftermarket UCA, even with a <3" lift, so I decided to just play it safe. Now I'm really hoping that the 285/70/17's will fit without rubbing. I should have mentioned in the original post, mine is a TRD ORP, not the Pro trim.
I think getting the UCA’s is a wise choice. You may want to check your panard rod angle after the lift to see that the angle is not to much. On the ORP you will probably have to do some lower front fender trimming and possibly push the fender liners forward. A simple mod. I didn’t have to do it, but as I previously mentioned, all 5th gens are a little bit different. If you get the right amount of positive caster, say 3-4 degrees, you should have plenty of clearance from the body mount. I still run my stock mud flaps. This is based upon using factory Pro or Trail wheels. Aftermarket wheels with large negative offsets will change everything. Good luck with your build and post up pics and results after.
TRD PANTHER is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:10 AM #5
TRD PANTHER's Avatar
TRD PANTHER TRD PANTHER is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,034
Real Name: BLACK TRD PRO
TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold
TRD PANTHER TRD PANTHER is offline
Senior Member
TRD PANTHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,034
Real Name: BLACK TRD PRO
TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold TRD PANTHER is a splendid one to behold
For reference. Some comparison pics. Stock with 1.5/1” spacer lift and 285/70-17’s versus 3” Radflo lift with reservoirs and adjusters. Center of hub to top of fender measurement. Top pic, 22 3/8” and 23 3/8” rear. Latest setup, 23 1/4” F and 24 1/2” R. I currently have full steel armor underneath with Warn Lo-pro bumper, which, the factory Pro suspension could not handle, hence the change. I may lower my current suspension down a 1/2”. Proper alignment is very important.
Attached Images
OME 2 or 3&quot; lift kit questions-54ad64f2-fe15-4e36-861a-64dcd6830bb5-jpg  OME 2 or 3&quot; lift kit questions-efd1d4aa-7e8f-4942-a11e-830c26038f08-jpg 
TRD PANTHER is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:55 AM #6
mrblah's Avatar
mrblah mrblah is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: san diego
Posts: 2,806
mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute
mrblah mrblah is offline
Senior Member
mrblah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: san diego
Posts: 2,806
mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute mrblah has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5150 View Post
Hello all, I've never done a lift before on my previous Tacos or 4Runner, but on my new 5th Gen 4Runner I'm wanting to put 33" tires on it (specifically the 285/70/17 BFG KM3's), and beef up the suspension.

I think I've narrowed it down to the OME lift kit, but I'm not sure whether to do the 2" or 3" lift. If I can get by with the 2" for that size tire, I'd prefer it, as I understand replacing the UCA would not be necessary with a 2" lift (if that's correct?).

So my question is, can I get away with a 2" lift and no UCA replacement for that tire (stock wheels), or will I need the 3" lift and UCA? Thanks in advance!
Suspension and tire setups is one of those things where you kind of have to do it and have the necessary budget left over to make it fit and have your vehicle perform to your expectations (whatever that is).

Honestly, if i had to do it again, i'd look into a suspension that gives you a 2.5F/2R lift. Keep some money left over in case you need a UCA and a BMC, and go from there.
__________________
2016 trail 4runner, twin locked on 34's.
Can read more of my build here (2 parts):
https://www.lasfit.com/blogs/news/ho...ad-build-part1
mrblah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:55 PM #7
Sully888 Sully888 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Tucson
Posts: 67
Sully888 is on a distinguished road
Sully888 Sully888 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Tucson
Posts: 67
Sully888 is on a distinguished road
I went with the 3in OME with JBA UCAs about two years ago. No issues, had stock tires and getting 285/70R17s put in today. We will see how it goes.
Sully888 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 11:14 AM #8
Jedi5150 Jedi5150 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Colorado
Posts: 48
Jedi5150 is on a distinguished road
Jedi5150 Jedi5150 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Colorado
Posts: 48
Jedi5150 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblah View Post
Suspension and tire setups is one of those things where you kind of have to do it and have the necessary budget left over to make it fit and have your vehicle perform to your expectations (whatever that is).

Honestly, if i had to do it again, i'd look into a suspension that gives you a 2.5F/2R lift. Keep some money left over in case you need a UCA and a BMC, and go from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully888 View Post
I went with the 3in OME with JBA UCAs about two years ago. No issues, had stock tires and getting 285/70R17s put in today. We will see how it goes.
Thanks Gents, I appreciate the feedback and advice. Sully, I'd love to hear how mounting the 285/70/17's works out for you, if you get a chance to update us.
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:35 PM #9
Sully888 Sully888 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Tucson
Posts: 67
Sully888 is on a distinguished road
Sully888 Sully888 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Tucson
Posts: 67
Sully888 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5150 View Post
Thanks Gents, I appreciate the feedback and advice. Sully, I'd love to hear how mounting the 285/70/17's works out for you, if you get a chance to update us.
Well so far so good. It rubbed a little so I took off the mud flaps and the rubbing on turns went away. However, it rubs when I turn and go over a bump, so I will be doing to BMC this weekend maybe. I still have to do a flex check to make sure everything is all good.



20221126-164736

Last edited by Sully888; 11-27-2022 at 10:35 PM. Reason: add pic
Sully888 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:45 AM #10
Jedi5150 Jedi5150 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Colorado
Posts: 48
Jedi5150 is on a distinguished road
Jedi5150 Jedi5150 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Colorado
Posts: 48
Jedi5150 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully888 View Post
Well so far so good. It rubbed a little so I took off the mud flaps and the rubbing on turns went away. However, it rubs when I turn and go over a bump, so I will be doing to BMC this weekend maybe. I still have to do a flex check to make sure everything is all good.



20221126-164736
They look awesome! Thanks for the update. I was REALLY hoping to avoid doing a BMC, but it looks like that might not be an option. We'll see when I get mine. haha
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:47 PM #11
Sully888 Sully888 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Tucson
Posts: 67
Sully888 is on a distinguished road
Sully888 Sully888 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Tucson
Posts: 67
Sully888 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5150 View Post
They look awesome! Thanks for the update. I was REALLY hoping to avoid doing a BMC, but it looks like that might not be an option. We'll see when I get mine. haha
You might get away with the stock rims and skinny tires. I went with the wider tires and more offset.

20221126-165517
Sully888 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 11:31 AM #12
Jedi5150 Jedi5150 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Colorado
Posts: 48
Jedi5150 is on a distinguished road
Jedi5150 Jedi5150 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Colorado
Posts: 48
Jedi5150 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully888 View Post
You might get away with the stock rims and skinny tires. I went with the wider tires and more offset.
Yeah, I think you may be right. I'm leaning towards my next tires being 255/80/17's, which won't rub at all, or if anything, only on the front mud flaps, which I can remove. That's all I had to do on my Taco to run them at least, and it had no lift at all.
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 01:26 AM #13
Sully888 Sully888 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Tucson
Posts: 67
Sully888 is on a distinguished road
Sully888 Sully888 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Tucson
Posts: 67
Sully888 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5150 View Post
Yeah, I think you may be right. I'm leaning towards my next tires being 255/80/17's, which won't rub at all, or if anything, only on the front mud flaps, which I can remove. That's all I had to do on my Taco to run them at least, and it had no lift at all.
ended up having to do the BMC. It rub on the body mount while going over bumps. I did it myself but bought the SRQ plates.

20221216-080920

Obviously I am not a professional welder. The top was hard to reach and an awkward angle.
20221209-090342
Sully888 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 10:20 AM #14
Jedi5150 Jedi5150 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Colorado
Posts: 48
Jedi5150 is on a distinguished road
Jedi5150 Jedi5150 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Colorado
Posts: 48
Jedi5150 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully888 View Post
ended up having to do the BMC. It rub on the body mount while going over bumps. I did it myself but bought the SRQ plates.

20221216-080920

Obviously I am not a professional welder. The top was hard to reach and an awkward angle.
20221209-090342
Thanks for the update! You're brave to take on a task like that yourself, that is WAY beyond my skill level. But nice that you are able to fit your tires now. I've decided that once these stock size tires wear out, I'm going to replace them with skinnies. Probably the new Falken Wildpeak RT tires that are releasing this month in 255/80R17.

Here's how the lift turned out. I'm very happy with it:

Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 10:49 AM #15
honda250xtitan honda250xtitan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: phoenix
Posts: 2,089
honda250xtitan has much to be proud of honda250xtitan has much to be proud of honda250xtitan has much to be proud of honda250xtitan has much to be proud of honda250xtitan has much to be proud of honda250xtitan has much to be proud of honda250xtitan has much to be proud of honda250xtitan has much to be proud of honda250xtitan has much to be proud of
honda250xtitan honda250xtitan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: phoenix
Posts: 2,089
honda250xtitan has much to be proud of honda250xtitan has much to be proud of honda250xtitan has much to be proud of honda250xtitan has much to be proud of honda250xtitan has much to be proud of honda250xtitan has much to be proud of honda250xtitan has much to be proud of honda250xtitan has much to be proud of honda250xtitan has much to be proud of
turned out sweet! btw if you fully flex IFS, and dont limit up travel via bump stop spacers, lift wont change whether your tires rub or dont rub. stock size with 285's rubs just like 2" with 285's. just matters if itll rub at ride height or when on the trail.
__________________
2016 TE : Grocery Getter, 285/70R17 Cooper at3 XLT, Prinsu Rack, King Coilovers, DuroBumps, Wheelers T13 coils, King shocks, King hydro bumps, Total Chaos mounts, DirtKing Fabrication UCA, VIVID RACING Tune, URD Y pipe, RCI skids, Marlin Crawler gussets, DRKDSS sway bar controller
honda250xtitan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kit , lift , ome , tire , uca

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BOSS Lift kit or DIY "Kit" and Coil selection questions FiReBReTHa 5th gen T4Rs 1 06-26-2016 12:45 PM
Questions for folks w/ Toytec 3" lift and 1.25" Spacers cajone5 4th Gen T4Rs 15 03-26-2016 01:31 PM
Toyotec 3"x2" Billstein Lift alignment questions bbenson 5th gen T4Rs 3 12-07-2015 08:52 PM
going with a daystar spacer lift, questions on 1.5" vs. 2.5" kits and possible issues 2k1 3rd gen T4Rs 27 10-16-2015 01:21 PM
3" lift questions 4rnnerFan Engines / Suspension / Wheels / Tires / Audio / Accessories 2 03-07-2012 11:43 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020