User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2024, 01:53 AM #1
Jon S Jon S is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Erie, CO
Posts: 33
Jon S is on a distinguished road
Jon S Jon S is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Erie, CO
Posts: 33
Jon S is on a distinguished road
Valvomax?

Anyone else use the Valvo max, essentially a quick drain plug?
M12-1.25 Quick Twist Valve with Stainless Drain Tube Knob
– ValvoMax Oil Drain System


Last trips to dealer approaching and tired of them f’ing up my 4Runner, spilled oil, missing, not installing plate bolts, rotating tires when asked not to, losing keys, not checking air filter but saying it’s clean, when I know it’s got leaves in it, general jackassery from a supposed group of professionals.
I can do it, just wondering if this makes it less messy or easier?
Corwin toyota in Boulder is making me grumpy.
Jon S is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:04 AM #2
lewdog998's Avatar
lewdog998 lewdog998 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 640
lewdog998 is a splendid one to behold lewdog998 is a splendid one to behold lewdog998 is a splendid one to behold lewdog998 is a splendid one to behold lewdog998 is a splendid one to behold lewdog998 is a splendid one to behold
lewdog998 lewdog998 is offline
Member
lewdog998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 640
lewdog998 is a splendid one to behold lewdog998 is a splendid one to behold lewdog998 is a splendid one to behold lewdog998 is a splendid one to behold lewdog998 is a splendid one to behold lewdog998 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Anyone else use the Valvo max, essentially a quick drain plug?
M12-1.25 Quick Twist Valve with Stainless Drain Tube Knob
– ValvoMax Oil Drain System


Last trips to dealer approaching and tired of them f’ing up my 4Runner, spilled oil, missing, not installing plate bolts, rotating tires when asked not to, losing keys, not checking air filter but saying it’s clean, when I know it’s got leaves in it, general jackassery from a supposed group of professionals.
I can do it, just wondering if this makes it less messy or easier?
Corwin toyota in Boulder is making me grumpy.
If you are doing it yourself, my opinion would be to stick the factory plug with magnet. While it is not a definitive test, checking the plug for excessive metal could be a early warning sign of internal wear issues. Or on the flip side, it is also reassurance that your baby is in good health.
__________________
2020 TRD Pro in Super White
RCI full alum skids - C4 Fab sliders-Diff breather mod-Upper grill hidden light bar- Auxbeam switch panel- DD reverse / turn light LED mod - Front Runner 3/4 Rack - 285/70 Dura tracs - Maxi Trac onboard air - Eibach TRD Pro lift springs - Front Runner 3/4 rack - Hefty Fabworks Lo-pro bumper - Warn VR Evo 12S. Dirt King UCAs
Man is born free, yet he is everywhere in chains....
lewdog998 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:59 AM #3
fkheath fkheath is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,437
fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold
fkheath fkheath is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,437
fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold
It is not always a good idea to screw stainless steel into regular steel. Stainless can gall. Also, stainless is weaker than regular steel; tighten it a bit too much and it will snap off.
fkheath is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 11:50 AM #4
GrimJeeper91 GrimJeeper91 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: SoCal
Posts: 20
GrimJeeper91 is on a distinguished road
GrimJeeper91 GrimJeeper91 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: SoCal
Posts: 20
GrimJeeper91 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog998 View Post
If you are doing it yourself, my opinion would be to stick the factory plug with magnet. While it is not a definitive test, checking the plug for excessive metal could be a early warning sign of internal wear issues. Or on the flip side, it is also reassurance that your baby is in good health.
I did my first oil change on my '24 last weekend. Replaced the factory plug with the ValvoMax. First off I discovered that my plug was installed without a crush washer. Also, the factory plug was not magnetic. I'm not worried about not having a magnetic plug, particularly since you can lay eyes on the filter since it's not hidden in a metal can. I also clean my catch pan after every oil change so I can see what, if anything, is coming out of whatever is being drained.. The Valvomax is the first drain device I've ever used so I can't really comment on it yet. In theory I like it but time will tell. I'm not worried about it being SS since you install it once and leave it. It also comes with a crush washer.
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 04:44 PM #5
02SE 02SE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Here, There..
Posts: 3,791
02SE is a splendid one to behold 02SE is a splendid one to behold 02SE is a splendid one to behold 02SE is a splendid one to behold 02SE is a splendid one to behold 02SE is a splendid one to behold 02SE is a splendid one to behold
02SE 02SE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Here, There..
Posts: 3,791
02SE is a splendid one to behold 02SE is a splendid one to behold 02SE is a splendid one to behold 02SE is a splendid one to behold 02SE is a splendid one to behold 02SE is a splendid one to behold 02SE is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJeeper91 View Post
I did my first oil change on my '24 last weekend. Replaced the factory plug with the ValvoMax. First off I discovered that my plug was installed without a crush washer. Also, the factory plug was not magnetic. I'm not worried about not having a magnetic plug, particularly since you can lay eyes on the filter since it's not hidden in a metal can. I also clean my catch pan after every oil change so I can see what, if anything, is coming out of whatever is being drained.. The Valvomax is the first drain device I've ever used so I can't really comment on it yet. In theory I like it but time will tell. I'm not worried about it being SS since you install it once and leave it. It also comes with a crush washer.
I'd be willing to bet the drain plug gasket installed at the factory was stuck to the oil pan. So likely you now have two drain plug gaskets stacked, which will probably start to seep.
02SE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 04:53 PM #6
GrimJeeper91 GrimJeeper91 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: SoCal
Posts: 20
GrimJeeper91 is on a distinguished road
GrimJeeper91 GrimJeeper91 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: SoCal
Posts: 20
GrimJeeper91 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02SE View Post
I'd be willing to bet the drain plug gasket installed at the factory was stuck to the oil pan. So likely you now have two drain plug gaskets stacked, which will probably start to seep.
Nope, I don't, I looked when it didn't come with the drain plug.
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 05:46 PM #7
Twilghtzone Twilghtzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 51
Twilghtzone is on a distinguished road
Twilghtzone Twilghtzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 51
Twilghtzone is on a distinguished road
Don't have a Valvomax... but I have a Fumoto that works just fine.
Makes it easy. Saves messing about with the plug. Highly recommended.

Maybe (some day) I will buy the remote (screw on) oil filter kit.
Big thing about the oil change job is dealing with the front skid plate.
Twilghtzone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 06:06 PM #8
cheeser cheeser is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 245
cheeser is on a distinguished road
cheeser cheeser is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 245
cheeser is on a distinguished road
Been using the Fumoto valve on all of my Toyotas for 10+ years…zero issues. Using the Femco on the Mustang as Fumoto doesn’t carry a product for the new Coyotes.
__________________
2023 SR5 Eibach Stage 2R, Hefty FabWorks Slider, Falken AT4W
Sold- 2016 TE w/KDSS, Bilstein 6112 (6 passenger, 5 driver) & 5160 w/T13 springs, Firestone Destination AT, Hefty FabWorks Sliders, IS 690TOY Speakers, Husky Liners WeatherBeaters, Covercraft SeatSavers
cheeser is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 12:05 AM #9
Jon S Jon S is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Erie, CO
Posts: 33
Jon S is on a distinguished road
Jon S Jon S is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Erie, CO
Posts: 33
Jon S is on a distinguished road
For those of you with the fumoto, do you use a hose to direct it, or just prepare to catch?
Thanks
Jon S is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 07:26 AM #10
patkelly4370's Avatar
patkelly4370 patkelly4370 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1,129
patkelly4370 is a splendid one to behold patkelly4370 is a splendid one to behold patkelly4370 is a splendid one to behold patkelly4370 is a splendid one to behold patkelly4370 is a splendid one to behold patkelly4370 is a splendid one to behold
patkelly4370 patkelly4370 is offline
Senior Member
patkelly4370's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1,129
patkelly4370 is a splendid one to behold patkelly4370 is a splendid one to behold patkelly4370 is a splendid one to behold patkelly4370 is a splendid one to behold patkelly4370 is a splendid one to behold patkelly4370 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
For those of you with the fumoto, do you use a hose to direct it, or just prepare to catch?

Thanks
I use a tube to direct it

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
patkelly4370 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:54 AM #11
Blackgoat Blackgoat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Newnan Ga.
Posts: 35
Blackgoat is on a distinguished road
Blackgoat Blackgoat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Newnan Ga.
Posts: 35
Blackgoat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeser View Post
Been using the Fumoto valve on all of my Toyotas for 10+ years…zero issues. Using the Femco on the Mustang as Fumoto doesn’t carry a product for the new Coyotes.
I just installed a Fumoto on mine last weekend .
Blackgoat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 08:18 PM #12
MarekP MarekP is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: Rancho Cucamonga
Posts: 10
MarekP is on a distinguished road
MarekP MarekP is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: Rancho Cucamonga
Posts: 10
MarekP is on a distinguished road
I was thinking about buying Fumoto, but my concern is that it is a "moving part" under you car.
I go desert very often and I wonder if dust/sand/mud will have an effect on the valve mechanism...
MarekP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 09:14 PM #13
cheeser cheeser is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 245
cheeser is on a distinguished road
cheeser cheeser is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 245
cheeser is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekP View Post
I was thinking about buying Fumoto, but my concern is that it is a "moving part" under you car.
I go desert very often and I wonder if dust/sand/mud will have an effect on the valve mechanism...
My 2006 Tundra went 125k, and my 2016 Runner hit 110k miles with Fumoto valves…no issues with leaks or ball valve. I always check them at oil change time. They could always be cleaned if you found them caked with mud, but they seem to be sealed well.
__________________
2023 SR5 Eibach Stage 2R, Hefty FabWorks Slider, Falken AT4W
Sold- 2016 TE w/KDSS, Bilstein 6112 (6 passenger, 5 driver) & 5160 w/T13 springs, Firestone Destination AT, Hefty FabWorks Sliders, IS 690TOY Speakers, Husky Liners WeatherBeaters, Covercraft SeatSavers
cheeser is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 09:37 PM #14
fkheath fkheath is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,437
fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold
fkheath fkheath is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,437
fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekP View Post
I was thinking about buying Fumoto, but my concern is that it is a "moving part" under you car.
I go desert very often and I wonder if dust/sand/mud will have an effect on the valve mechanism...
If you go off road, you should have a quality skid plate. That will protect anything under the engine from getting damaged or too dirty.

I have the OEM TRD skid plate; the only down side of that is it must be removed to change the oil. But there are others that have an access plate to change the oil.

Last edited by fkheath; 02-25-2024 at 09:26 PM.
fkheath is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 01:37 AM #15
seatia seatia is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 188
seatia will become famous soon enough seatia will become famous soon enough
seatia seatia is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 188
seatia will become famous soon enough seatia will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkheath View Post
It is not always a good idea to screw stainless steel into regular steel. Stainless can gall. Also, stainless is weaker than regular steel; tighten it a bit too much and it will snap off.
Lots of different types of stainless.
If staying within torque/size limits, breakage shouldn't be an issue.
Always use an antiseize.
Tef-Gel is arguable one of the best for stainless in corrosive and galvanic environments.
seatia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
asked , drain , oil , quick , valvomax

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valvomax torque spec Rushthezeppelin 3rd gen T4Rs 35 03-01-2023 11:56 AM
Fumoto, Valvomax - nope - plastic plumbing tube instead arthurm 5th gen T4Rs 15 10-13-2021 01:17 AM
Fumoto or ValvoMax Generalisimo 5th gen T4Rs 11 11-29-2019 01:25 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020