Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Elite Member

TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light
Elite Member

TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by alp View Post
So I did the test. First I checked fan rotation before starting the engine.
I couldn't freely rotate the fun more than 1/4 turn. So far so good.
Then I started the engine and run it for about 5 minutes.
Stopped the engine and try to turn the fan counter clockwise. I could spin it
for many turns without ant resistance whatsoever. Same story when I turned it clockwise.
Does it all mean that it is time to change the fan clutch?
Can you guys performe this simple test on your trucks and let us know about results, please?
Thanks a lot!
That's a pretty useless test, if I understand correctly how these things work. Stationary resistance is meaningless because it is a 'centrifugal' clutch and it has to be spinning for the fluid to reach the places where it causes the clutch to engage. I recently changed mine, and I had the old, bad one sitting next to its replacement in front of me. Both were identical in their resistance to turning (some, but not much). Many swear by the magazine test, but I believe that is somewhat hit or miss. The most dramatic difference on the replacement was the return of the roar of full engagement at start-up of a cold engine. If you don't have that, your clutch is dead.
'99 4Runner SR5 5spd 3.4L V6 4WD(U.S), original '99 Talls in front, OME 906s in back, Hella fogs, Trekmaster shocks in front, Billy in back, no running boards, FIAMM horns, Alpine sound, Michelin LTX M/S2's, owned since new.
'97 HiLux SW4 5spd 4WD(Japan model bought in Brazil assembled in Argentina, very close to a 3.0 4Runner/Surf)
'71 FordWillys Jeep CJ5 (with straight six Ford Maverick 3.0 liter engine--lives in the mountains north of Sao Paulo Brazil)
My Backyard Frame Swap
TheDurk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote