View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 02:50 PM

Rock Slide is on a distinguished road

Rock Slide is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4Rnewb View Post
With all that experience buying out of state, what methods did you use to be sure you didn't waste a plane ticket and end up having to buy a second one way ticket home? I.E. - showing up to a lemon with unexpected imperfections, making sure the person didn't sell the vehicle before you could get there, etc.
I used autotrader.com to find them all. Out of the 5 4Runners I've purchased, 3 I purchased from Toyota dealers...and thus felt more comfortable about the transaction. Mainly b/c of how much more indepth info I was provided from each dealer about the vehicle in question. Of couse I had carfax reports run on all of the vehicles (granted a carfax rpt isn't going to tell you the whole story, but it does catch some good points owners fail to mention about their cars). I had each seller email me tons of photos inside and out too. Of the 2 private sellers I bought from, they each provided me with extensive service history on each vehicle. One guy even kept a gas log for every fill up since he bought the vehicle new w/ mileage and sevice records/dates too. It about 50pgs long. I thought my OCD was bad, but this guy made me look normal.

But the main factor I had in all of my purchases, was purchasing 4Runners w/ under 50K miles on the OD. You know, the ones little old ladies use just to drive to the grocery and back. I bought a '95 4Runner in MO from a dealer in 2003. It was owned by a 70yr old man since new and he only drove it in the winter, on the weekends, to the grocery and back. Had it religiously serviced at the same dealer. Only had 20K miles on it when I bought it in '03. . It's little gems like that, that I only buy. Patience in finding just the right one is a key.

Trust you instincts. If a deal is to good to be true, then it probably is. Have the seller send you documentation and plenty photos of the vehicle. I'm pretty good at reading people and within 5 mins on the phone w/ a potiential seller, I can tell if they are trying to pull one over me or if they are telling me the truth.

Your requirements might not be as strict as mine, but the methods in picking a gem from a lemon are the same. Good luck.

Headlight Adjustment

"Live life w/o Limits. Your imagination is not limited by time or distance, by logic or by scarcity. You can fill your imagination with whatever you choose."
Rock Slide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote