Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 08:06 PM

glocke12 is on a distinguished road

glocke12 is on a distinguished road
About 20 years ago I was getting ready to go on a road trip out west...I brought my car in for an oil change right before the trip, and the mechanic offered to set my odometer back for an extra 50 bucks.

Ten years ago I knew someone who bought a brand new Toyota tacoma. Their daily commute was 80 miles one way, so 160 miles every day was going on that vehicle. Pretty much the day he bought it he dissconnected the odometer/speedometer, and drove it that way off and on for 5 years. When he sold it the odometer said 60k miles but the truck probably had over 180k real miles on it.

After those two experiences I really have a hard time buying a used vehicle.

The past three vehicles Ive owned I bought new, and drove each until it pretty much died. I know I lost money in terms of depreciation, and in some cases getting leases, but the peace of mind of having a vehicle that you know the history of, and also of having a brand new vehicle that you know will be free from (hopefully anyway) of major issues for 3-5 years is well worth it.
glocke12 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote