View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 12:04 PM

Jim_Chow is on a distinguished road

Jim_Chow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry
[snip]
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Here's what I do with my 03 V8. It's Mobil 1 5w-30 and the 209 Mobil 1 Filter (longer and more capacity and media area than the recomended one). I buy oil and filters by the case and change every 5k miles. I looked at all the filters and there's too much risk out there. The Mobil 1 is made by Champion and is of known and consistant quality. Some other brand names are names only.

My first changes were at 2k and 5k so it was 2k miles and 3k miles and then 5k miles after that. I keep receipts and a log book and do analysis once a year.
I use the now discontinued (in the US) Toyota resin media filter for the V8 (also fits 22R series engines). The LC80/100 guys use these. List was like $15 ea. This was supposedly the highest quality filter made, and I've heard it's the filter that Toyota bases its 7.5K mile oil change interval on. The filter has a pre-lubed gasket, is longer than most toyota filters, made in Japan by Denso. They're still available in Japan for 2000 yen. The lower-cost replacement filter for the LC100 is now made in Thailand.
Jim_Chow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote