Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 07:50 PM

Jim_Chow is on a distinguished road

Jim_Chow is on a distinguished road
Re: regular vs premium

Quote:
Originally posted by aj884runner
I drive an `88 4Runner with a sucked out 3.0 V6. When I first got the truck, in `93, I used only regular, then my friend, who drove an `88 Iroc-z, told me to try the premium. I laughed! Well, soon I tried it. The results...My sucked out V6 woke up a little. Using 94 octane compared to 87 increased power under hard accleration. I`ve since experimented a little and found that if you drive normally regular gas is fine, but if you drive like me, with the right foot on the floor, Premium fuel is great. This is especially true on performance engines, like my wifes `89 Cressida with a 3.0 inline six. I did however figure out that some gas is garbage. At some fill ups I found that my fuel mileage decreased considerably. I concluded that the additives make a difference. Ethonal is good way to keep water out of your tank, helps with power and keeps the injectors clean. My 4Runner now has almost 400,000km (245,000 miles) on it with the original injectors and it still runs smooth. The higher octane does increase the mileage a little, but not enough to justify the price. I still fill up with premium. I get my gas at the same name, but I mix up where I fill it. This I think is the best thing to do.
Ditto here in my '86 4-cyl. If I use 87, I can't push the engine above 65mph on the interstate in Phoenix w/o major pinging. OTOH, the octane is altitude dependent in that if you're sufficiently high, you can use lower octane. I tried 87 in Flagstaff (7000') and couldn't really tell the difference since that's about the altitude when power majorly drops off due to lack of oxygen. And w/ the 4 cyl, you need every last bit of power you can muster. I get 24.5mpg driving around town on chevron 91 (mostly 35-50mph). Ethanol will probably drag your fuel economy down since there's less energy contained in it.
Jim_Chow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote