Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 05:14 PM

RL Lemke is on a distinguished road

RL Lemke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Sac State
What reaction have you experienced with the front end using the poly spacer?

Daystar also uses poly, Revtek is steel, which will eventually rust. Would be nice if there was an aluminum or stainless spacer offering.
I am experienceing a shudder, significantly greater than I did before. A shudder that is a suspension reaction to bumps. Before the lift, I only encountered this shudder in a modest way when crossing RR tracks at a diagonal at moderate speed. This may have been a normal body on frame sensation, I wouldn't know as my comparison is rally type driving in a Subaru which never had any of those sensations, regardless of speed.

Rust? I have discussed this with Revtek. They say they are powdercoating the parts now. They use "blued" grade 8 bolts. They have sold thousands of kits which are installed at Toyota dealers as well as other places. The steel appeals to be because of the solid connection between the factory steel plate and the stamped steel shock tower. My opinion is that a steel on steel connection will prove more solid over time.

Again, my decision to switch-out the lift kit is driven by confidence in the product. If I did not off-road so much, I would probably go back to factory. While I do not understand why, the lift yields a stiffer (less compliant) ride on the road. The increased ability off-road makes the loss acceptable.

In my dream world, I would replace the shock and springs with an airbag suspension system. Low for the freeway and tall for off-road. For double the cost of my 4Runner, I could have purchased a Toureg with a V8 and air suspension. Toyota's proven reliability and off-road capability, as well as the price, kept me from the VW purchase.
RL Lemke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote