User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2019, 05:58 AM #31
Yotatn Yotatn is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Johnson City
Posts: 5
Yotatn is on a distinguished road
Yotatn Yotatn is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Johnson City
Posts: 5
Yotatn is on a distinguished road
Cool I'm a Sales Manager at a Toyota dealership. 2021 = New 4runner

I'm a Sales Manager at a Toyota dealership. 2021 = New 4runner
Yotatn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:46 PM #32
chcg12 chcg12 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 23
chcg12 is on a distinguished road
chcg12 chcg12 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 23
chcg12 is on a distinguished road
For sure? you're saying a 2021 model so released about this time next year? Because the 2020's are just about released now (late august)??
chcg12 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:33 PM #33
Baystate4Runner's Avatar
Baystate4Runner Baystate4Runner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Westwood, MA
Posts: 106
Baystate4Runner will become famous soon enough
Baystate4Runner Baystate4Runner is offline
Member
Baystate4Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Westwood, MA
Posts: 106
Baystate4Runner will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotatn View Post
I'm a Sales Manager at a Toyota dealership. 2021 = New 4runner
Sorry to say this but sales managers at car dealerships know nothing about corporate manufacturer decisions.

I could fill a book with all the bs sales managers told me over the years...from regular brands up to high end brands.

Nothing personal - and I wish you are right but itís very unlikely.
__________________
2017 TRD Pro - Super White, RCI Rock Sliders
2012 Porsche Cayman S
Baystate4Runner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:44 PM #34
jcalvert86 jcalvert86 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 62
jcalvert86 will become famous soon enough
jcalvert86 jcalvert86 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 62
jcalvert86 will become famous soon enough
jcalvert86 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:06 PM #35
sogoood's Avatar
sogoood sogoood is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mill creek, WA
Posts: 493
sogoood will become famous soon enough
sogoood sogoood is offline
Member
sogoood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mill creek, WA
Posts: 493
sogoood will become famous soon enough
It would make sense for Toyota to announce the next gen runner at the Japan 2020 Olympics. Tourists are coming around the world to see the olympics and i wouldn't be surprised is Toyota is sponsoring it. There is a city named after Toyota ffs... lol
__________________
2002 Dorado Gold 4runner SR5 fully loaded/leather/JDM goodies
OME 882 fronts.LC 8 wrap rears/SCS Ray10 17x9" -38 Copper/Falken 285.70.17 P-rated/1.25" Spidertrax/TBU/JDM Hilux Surf Window Visors+LED Spoiler+Power Fold Mirrors/Hilux Surf Corners+Headlights D2S 5.0 x Panamera 2.0/Jaos Mud Flaps/Viper 5901/Blackvue dr750s 2ch/quarter tank of gas

Awaiting install of TrueNorthFab plate bumper and useless cool jdm parts
sogoood is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:45 AM #36
Gecko Gecko is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Friend Zone
Posts: 579
Gecko has a spectacular aura about Gecko has a spectacular aura about
Gecko Gecko is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Friend Zone
Posts: 579
Gecko has a spectacular aura about Gecko has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogoood View Post
It would make sense for Toyota to announce the next gen runner at the Japan 2020 Olympics. Tourists are coming around the world to see the olympics and i wouldn't be surprised is Toyota is sponsoring it. There is a city named after Toyota ffs... lol
The 4Runner is not even sold in Japan, so it certainly will not be any part of the olympics. Expect fuel cells to be the focus for the Tokyo games.
__________________

2019 4Runner Limited 4x4: Black/Redwood @4RUnLimited
Borla Touring Exhaust, TRD CAI, TRD Pro LED Fogs, 4300k Philips HIDs, TRD Skid Plate
17" Sequoia wheels on 265/70R17 Yoko Geolandar AT G015s
Gecko is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:53 PM #37
Big_Cuss Big_Cuss is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 169
Big_Cuss is on a distinguished road
Big_Cuss Big_Cuss is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 169
Big_Cuss is on a distinguished road
As others have said, the 5th gen 4.0L is not bad at all.

Compared to the V8 4.7L, the compression ratio is a little higher, at 10.4, compared to 10.1, and some light internals. It's just a revver for acceleration, which the throttle mapping makes hard to do unless you push your gas pedal further than older drivers are used to.

On 91 octane the 5th gen makes something like 289tq, at a pretty decently low/midrange RPM, and gets 3-4mpg better than the V8. So it's really just perception and maybe the sound of the V8 that people hear and think its so much more powerful. Hell, it might even accelerate slower than the V6 due to the V8s lower horsepower.

My guess is the 6th gen will be an either/or choice, too. Standard 3.5L which will be good on gas but weaksauce on torque and towing, or a 3.5L Turbo (or hybrid) which is the best of both power and economy.... but costs like $5k+ more, so it will take some time to recover the savings in gas.
Big_Cuss is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:21 PM #38
barongan barongan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: canada
Posts: 28
barongan is on a distinguished road
barongan barongan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: canada
Posts: 28
barongan is on a distinguished road
Hopefully this forum remained crowded until 2022
barongan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:25 PM #39
Gecko Gecko is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Friend Zone
Posts: 579
Gecko has a spectacular aura about Gecko has a spectacular aura about
Gecko Gecko is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Friend Zone
Posts: 579
Gecko has a spectacular aura about Gecko has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cuss View Post
As others have said, the 5th gen 4.0L is not bad at all.

Compared to the V8 4.7L, the compression ratio is a little higher, at 10.4, compared to 10.1, and some light internals. It's just a revver for acceleration, which the throttle mapping makes hard to do unless you push your gas pedal further than older drivers are used to.

On 91 octane the 5th gen makes something like 289tq, at a pretty decently low/midrange RPM, and gets 3-4mpg better than the V8. So it's really just perception and maybe the sound of the V8 that people hear and think its so much more powerful. Hell, it might even accelerate slower than the V6 due to the V8s lower horsepower.

My guess is the 6th gen will be an either/or choice, too. Standard 3.5L which will be good on gas but weaksauce on torque and towing, or a 3.5L Turbo (or hybrid) which is the best of both power and economy.... but costs like $5k+ more, so it will take some time to recover the savings in gas.
With all due respect, no way

Having driven all three over thousands of miles, if you lined them up in a drag race, I think the results would be:
1) 4th gen V8
2) 4th gen v6
3) 5th gen

4th gen V8 = 4,255lbs, 270hp, 306lb-ft = 15.76lbs/hp
4th gen V6 = 4,045lbs, 236hp, 266lb-ft = 17.13 lbs/hp
5th gen = 4,525lbs, 270hp, 278lb-ft = 16.76 lbs/hp

The numbers don't tell the whole story and you also have to consider gearing and torque. The UZ V8 was well regarded as being fairly underrated, and it delivered a lot of torque down low, which made it quick off the line. In my experience, the transmission in the 4th gens was less laggy than that in the 5th gens, I'm sure in an effort to conserve gas.

Toyota thought that by slightly revising the GR V6 for the 5th gen, they could appease both V6 and V8 buyers with a "big V6," but as the saying goes, there is just no replacement for displacement, and the 4th gen V8 had that in spades. In addition, the 4th gen V6 was a good bit lighter than the 5th gen, and if I recall correctly, had snappier transmission gearing.

5th gen 4.0L is certainly adequate, but combined with a 4,500+lb curb weight and a soft 5AT that likes nap before switching gears, I'm pretty certain both 4th gens would smoke a 5th gen.
__________________

2019 4Runner Limited 4x4: Black/Redwood @4RUnLimited
Borla Touring Exhaust, TRD CAI, TRD Pro LED Fogs, 4300k Philips HIDs, TRD Skid Plate
17" Sequoia wheels on 265/70R17 Yoko Geolandar AT G015s
Gecko is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:37 AM #40
Big_Cuss Big_Cuss is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 169
Big_Cuss is on a distinguished road
Big_Cuss Big_Cuss is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 169
Big_Cuss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
With all due respect, no way

Having driven all three over thousands of miles, if you lined them up in a drag race, I think the results would be:
1) 4th gen V8
2) 4th gen v6
3) 5th gen

4th gen V8 = 4,255lbs, 270hp, 306lb-ft = 15.76lbs/hp
4th gen V6 = 4,045lbs, 236hp, 266lb-ft = 17.13 lbs/hp
5th gen = 4,525lbs, 270hp, 278lb-ft = 16.76 lbs/hp

The numbers don't tell the whole story and you also have to consider gearing and torque. The UZ V8 was well regarded as being fairly underrated, and it delivered a lot of torque down low, which made it quick off the line. In my experience, the transmission in the 4th gens was less laggy than that in the 5th gens, I'm sure in an effort to conserve gas.

Toyota thought that by slightly revising the GR V6 for the 5th gen, they could appease both V6 and V8 buyers with a "big V6," but as the saying goes, there is just no replacement for displacement, and the 4th gen V8 had that in spades. In addition, the 4th gen V6 was a good bit lighter than the 5th gen, and if I recall correctly, had snappier transmission gearing.

5th gen 4.0L is certainly adequate, but combined with a 4,500+lb curb weight and a soft 5AT that likes nap before switching gears, I'm pretty certain both 4th gens would smoke a 5th gen.
Unfortunately you're just wrong. Your weight quotes are off for the 4th gen too 4x4. The fastests 2wd 4th gen V8 was like 7.2 0-60 and most places have seen 7.1-7.5 for the 5th gen. Its a sweet V6 compared to the 4th gen esp if you floor it.
Big_Cuss is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:15 PM #41
fringe fringe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 33
fringe is on a distinguished road
fringe fringe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 33
fringe is on a distinguished road
I have seen that people think their current 5th gens are 6th gens.
fringe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:15 PM #42
Tons_of_phun_ Tons_of_phun_ is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Tampa
Posts: 8
Tons_of_phun_ is on a distinguished road
Tons_of_phun_ Tons_of_phun_ is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Tampa
Posts: 8
Tons_of_phun_ is on a distinguished road
Confirmed at the dealership (I work at) last week that the 2023 model year will be Gen 6.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tons_of_phun_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:49 AM #43
Yotatn Yotatn is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Johnson City
Posts: 5
Yotatn is on a distinguished road
Yotatn Yotatn is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Johnson City
Posts: 5
Yotatn is on a distinguished road
Cool Glad you have it figured out over my 15 years with Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baystate4Runner View Post
Sorry to say this but sales managers at car dealerships know nothing about corporate manufacturer decisions.

I could fill a book with all the bs sales managers told me over the years...from regular brands up to high end brands.

Nothing personal - and I wish you are right but itís very unlikely.
Its not like they check with us to get our OK on the matter but YES they do keep us informed.... lol, it would be dumb if the manufacturer didn't keep their dealers informed. Trust me we have all been looking for updates on the Tundra and the 4Runner with great anticipation because both of those platforms are in serious need of updating. I just hope that the 4runner keeps the 4.0 liter, the 3.5 leaves a lot to desire in the Tacoma.
Yotatn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:59 AM #44
5thToy 5thToy is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Nevada
Posts: 86
5thToy will become famous soon enough
5thToy 5thToy is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Nevada
Posts: 86
5thToy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotatn View Post
Its not like they check with us to get our OK on the matter but YES they do keep us informed.... lol, it would be dumb if the manufacturer didn't keep their dealers informed. Trust me we have all been looking for updates on the Tundra and the 4Runner with great anticipation because both of those platforms are in serious need of updating. I just hope that the 4runner keeps the 4.0 liter, the 3.5 leaves a lot to desire in the Tacoma.
I think they've taken the 4.0 about as far as they can. It's behind in power and efficiency in its class. Also, the 5 speed transmission's day is done and I can't see Toyota developing a new trans for a 20 year old motor.

I don't see the 4.0 making its way to the next generation shared platform. I do agree with you about the 3.5 though, and I think that rather likely transition would turn many traditional T4R buyers away. I stayed away for a while after they deleted the 4.7 I had in my 03 and reluctantly came back to a 4Runner with the only choice being the 4.0

Last edited by 5thToy; 08-20-2019 at 08:00 PM.
5thToy is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:11 PM #45
headpaneer's Avatar
headpaneer headpaneer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Surf City, CA
Posts: 317
headpaneer will become famous soon enough
MY GARAGE
headpaneer headpaneer is offline
Member
headpaneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Surf City, CA
Posts: 317
headpaneer will become famous soon enough
MY GARAGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tons_of_phun_ View Post
Confirmed at the dealership (I work at) last week that the 2023 model year will be Gen 6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotatn View Post
I'm a Sales Manager at a Toyota dealership. 2021 = New 4runner
You two should compare notes.
__________________
'16 Magnetic Grey SR5 Premium - FN 6-Shooters, 265 KO2s, TRD CAI, various other do-dads

So happy to be back in a 4Runner again! Previous Toys - '87, '89 and '93 4x2 Pick Ups, '03 4Runner, '08 Sequoia
headpaneer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
6th , coming , generation , shocked , ways

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
96 4Runner SR5 white smoke coming from exhaust, black soot/liquid coming out, stalls beefsix Problems & Warranty Issues 7 05-24-2018 03:44 PM
Second generation Tacoma CV axles vs 4th generation 4 runner CV axle mrwinkle13 4th Gen T4Rs 0 10-15-2015 06:02 AM
smell coming and lots of heat coming from manual shifter compartment desertrover Problems & Warranty Issues 0 10-18-2010 08:07 PM
SUpport for USA World Cup 2018 or 2022 JAC Off Topic 0 06-28-2010 11:01 AM
3rd Generation Article/The Best Generation dale 3rd gen T4Rs 5 12-29-2009 04:46 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2019


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.