Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 10:15 PM

Ptindy is on a distinguished road

Ptindy is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the help today guys. I got under there today and cleaned/wiped up as much oil as I could. I will keep an eye on it over the next few weeks. I had a hard time cleaning the back side of the cylinder head. Tight up against that fire wall. I will assume that if the oil is staining the header just above the block that it is the cam seal as I just did the valve covers yesterday.

Maybe the valve covers developed a more rapid leak over the past month or two and it went unoticed through the cold weather up here and then cycling between freezing and heating up through operation? Possibly cold enough to cause enough contraction in the cover and gasket for the leak to become worse. Not sure, that would be a relief.

Either way I need to find out for sure. I want to get about 190k outta this thing. I think I'm driving one of the oldest vehicles around here and I'm proud. I am very careful to keep an eye on the fluids especially since my engine is due for something to give. Knock on wood. The coolant was replaced with the timing belt done in the fall, the oil has never needed a top up since my oil pressure sensor cracked and dropped the whole block on the driveway. And no black or white smoke in the exhaust.

Chris when do the main seals usually give? I had a 91 celica before this and it was around 150k miles when the seal went, mind you I ragged on that engine as I was just a teenager.

Cheers guys,
Mike

And Diagram14 that is a great write up, thanks.

Last edited by Ptindy; 04-09-2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Edit
Ptindy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote