View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 08:46 AM

thirstyturtle is on a distinguished road

thirstyturtle is on a distinguished road
I guarantee it's the ABS wire, I had the same thing happen when installing a lift.

You can easily figure out which wire is broken IF you have a multi-meter. I went and bought one for $15 at Wall-Mart and it was well worth it.

For whichever side you want to check first:
1) Unhook the battery
2) Remove the wheel
3) Locate and unplug the ABS sensor wire from the sensor itself
4) Follow the wire up into the engine bay and unplug the other end of the wire as well
5) With the multi-meter set to the continuity setting, place one lead in one end of the harness and the other lead into the other end until you get a continuous reading.
6) Repeat to check the other wire.

If you don't get a reading no matter which lead you put on each wire then both wires are torn, otherwise, this should narrow-down which wire is torn. If you find both wires to be continuous then the tear is on the other wheel's wiring harness. Also, you may need to remove the entire wiring harness unit from the vehicle in order to test it unless you have really long lead wires on the multi-meter.

Once you figure out which wire is torn, cut the wire in half and re-test each piece, this will narrow down where the wire is torn because one piece will be fine and the other one will still not give you a continuous reading on the torn wire. Then keep cutting back a few inches until you narrow in on the town section. Once the torn part has been cut out, simply use some spare wire, wire connectors, electrical tape, and duct tape to make your own new wire (make sure it's long enough, maybe measure existing wire prior to cutting). I say duct tape because I wrapped my new wire in a lot of duct tape when I was done reconnecting everything due to the fact that it will be exposed to dirt/dust/water in the wheel well or engine bay. Once you're done, reconnect the wire, then the battery, then crank it up and there shouldn't be anymore lights! If there are, repeat on the other wheel.

I certainly hope this helps as I just spent 20 minutes typing it on my cell phone...

SOLD 2006 T4R Sport V8 4x4
Daystar 2.5/1.5, 265/70/17 Firestone Destination A/T's, All-Pro Offroad 1.5" Wheel Spacers
thirstyturtle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote