Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 07:48 PM

BamaDrewski will become famous soon enough

BamaDrewski will become famous soon enough
I replaced my rear axle seals today (with great help from this post!) and I could not seem to find the “breather tube” on the rear differential! Any one have a photo of this? (I have a 2000 4WD limited)

While I was working on the axle seals, I also replaced the rear brake shoes and hardware. The drums were fine but nasty from the oil leaking into them. I got everything cleaned and put back together and I noticed something after bleeding and checking the parking brake.

As I live in the south, I got out of the habit of putting on my emergency brake when I stop. When my buddy was pulling on the e-brake so we could adjust it, I noticed the driver’s side lever into the rear drum was frozen. We pulled the tire and drum off and it turns out that by not using the e-brake on a regular basis, the lever was frozen in place. After some PB blaster and a screwdriver and hammer forcing it back and forth, it works like a charm. I will use my brake regularly now. (Got out of the habit when it froze to the drum when I lived in upstate New York)

For what it is worth, I have great brakes now! WOW – what a difference. I bought Wagner Thermo Quiet brake shoes with a 20% online discount from Advance (Code P20) and after about 40 miles of mileage on them, they are really impressive. The Toyota Dealer wanted $92 for the OEM brakes shoes and with money tight, I chose the Wagners. I think (so far) it was a great choice!
BamaDrewski is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote