Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 11:54 PM

offroadingatc is on a distinguished road

offroadingatc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
This is way too cool! I didn't even know they had a system like this using RFID.

I didn't end up reading everything about it, but a problem I could see is that the RFID getting copied. Didn't they have issues with this with passports and credit cards with RFID info on it? I think some people make a business out of selling RFID shields or something like that. I know that we have a likely possibility of getting our keys (with or without pushstart) copied, but I think I read that RFIDs are easier. Then again, you would have to know the person or follow them quite a bit to know they have something like this on their vehicle.

I'm not knocking the purchase or product; I really think this is such a great alternative to bring something that should be on all cars at an affordable price.

I hear your concerns, however I can assure you that RFID technology is exponentially safer than the current security that your (and my) vehicle has.

My understanding is that the RFID shields that are sold are primarily preying on peoples lack of knowledge, although there is some level of government support for using them. I believe the only real purpose to shield is to prevent someone from determining that you are carrying and RFID. In some countries a US passport is a pretty valuable thing (ok, i guess you could argue it is anywhere, but i digress) and criminals could theoretically determine who was carrying a US passport, but they certainly couldn't obtain any data from it. So essentially the only purpose of shields are to protect the physical security of the RFID

Last edited by offroadingatc; 12-05-2011 at 11:59 PM.
offroadingatc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote